PDA

View Full Version : First day of a new quilting course.

Divine Daisy
April 4th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Well!!!!!!!!!!!

Phew. I just got home from teaching the first lesson of a new course, and my new set of quilting babies are great! Well all but one, but she will either thaw out or not keep coming.

I shocked them into silence by telling them they would be making a quilt in 2 hours so to listen up! I taught them the silly geese block, had all their fabric cut for them and set them away. Did that ever concentrate their minds lol. I was grinning inside. It is usually so hard the first week to focus them, but boy did this work. At the end of 2 hours I had 11 quilt tops for Project Linus, I will quilt them during the week and they can sign them next week. I am so proud of them and they are proud of themselves. Next week we will settle to learning how to cut accurately with the confidence they have already made a quilt even if it measured only 20"x25".

What really thrilled me was that one of my first pupils came back to help with the course. Now THAT made me feel great.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 4th, 2014, 06:52 PM
So great to hear you are sending more novices down the road to becoming quilters!

GrammaBabs
April 4th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a great class and I like your style... I've taught a bit, and find that some humor and down to earth chatter goes a long way... that and a big smile!!

auntiemern
April 4th, 2014, 08:40 PM
How fun for all of you. Congrats on getting all those quilts made. You surely would be my favorite teacher.

Simply Quilting
April 5th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Sounds like you had a great class and was a great teacher :)

BobW
April 5th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Sounds like a great class. I wish the class I took went to the point of teaching the cutting. Cutting pieces terrifies me.

Does Seamus go to class with you? I can see him keeping the class in line.

rebeccas-sewing
April 5th, 2014, 03:47 AM
I'm so glad to hear this is a positive experience for not only you but those you are teaching. I'm with Jean. It's great that you are joining the bandwagon for helping introduce new quilters to our craft. What a clever idea to have them make a quilt for donating to a good cause. Very smart way to grab their attention from the get-go.

Mpyles
April 5th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Rotary cutting basics is a class at my LQS and should be at all of them. How would I have ever figured out what all those lines are for on my ruler??

Hulamoon
April 5th, 2014, 09:20 AM
How fun! Where they surprised they could do something like that in 2 hours! You sound like a fun teacher. :)

mcwade
April 5th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I would love to find a teacher like you here in South Carolina!

dizzyLiz
April 5th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Mcwade,
What part of SC are you from? I'm in the Upstate near Anderson.