PDA

View Full Version : The amazing community that I live in

Simply Quilting
April 3rd, 2014, 06:22 PM
I am so amazed and proud of our community and the way everyone is rallying around this precious little baby boy. Even our congressman is challenging his colleges in Washington D.C. to take the plunge for Landon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsiPnJyFi9c&feature=youtu.be) The amount of money that has been raised to help this boy and his family in a short time is amazing. As well as how many are jumping into the cold water for a great cause. The temperature outside is 39 degrees and feels like32 degrees right now and people are planning on going in the water to raise money for this baby.

Below is Landon's story - warning get ready to grab a tissue or two

Here's Landons story! One day after he turned 4 months old we took him to the ER of Childrens Mercy to figure why he kept throwing up and loosing weight! They admitted him immediately. They did blood work after blood work and everything came back normal. That next day he went in for an abdominal ultrasound to see if he had pyloric stenosis (enlargement of the intestine where it connects to the sto...mach), We went to the ultrasound room and did a very thorough scan seemed like it took forever and ever. We went to the room and the doctor came in with the results, at the time my husband, sister and mother was the only ones in there. Not knowing that I wasn't in there. When I came back to the room, my sister told me to have a seat. Right then and there I knew it couldn't be good news. They told me they found a large mass in his left kidney. My heart dropped as I knew this was going to be a major step in his life not knowing what else was going on. The doctors told me that a lot of children get these and a lot of people live with one kidney. I was relieved. The surgeons came in to explain they would be removing his whole kidney to get a biopsy of the tumor. Surgery day came and I was a bawl bag and didn't want to let him go He conquered that surgery like a champ! Days went on as we waited for the pathology report to come back. Days turn into weeks and I had asked the doctor if this was a bad sign. He replied "Yes." I started pacing back and forth and thoughts started running through my head. The next day the doctor came back in and took a seat. At the time I was rocking Landon and making him smile. The doctor said "unfortunately I have some bad news," tears started to run down my face. "The tumor came back malignant, its not only cancer but a very rare cancer." I held our son so tight and asking God why? Why our baby of 5 months that has done nothing to deserve to go through this? The doctor then explained that this type of tumor travels to the kidneys, liver, lungs and the brain. He had a good idea of why he kept puking and nothing would help. He suggested we do an MRI after his hickman placement (hickman is a port like structure where the chemotherapy is given.) During this procedure, which took about 5 hours, me and my husband cried and cried. Our family came down to support us. We got a bite to eat and came back to see what the doctor had said. He took us to a different room and sat us down. Told us there is a large mass in the back of his head in his brain and sitting on his spinal cord. We thought our lives were over and thoughts of everything you never imagine your baby going through running through our heads. We took time with our family and discussed what would be best for him. The day came when our family and us sat down at a round table to decide if we wanted to remove the brain tumor and continue his treatments. They explained the risks of surgery, the major one, bleeding to death. Another option was to not do the surgery. We asked how long he had if we chose that route they replied with 2 weeks. We didn't want to put our son through any more pain but wanted to fight for him as he deserves the right to fight. So we said yes to the surgery. We took him to the surgery room to hand him off to the nurses to prep for surgery. HARDEST thing to do. Waited for 4-5 hours in the waiting room. They called us half way through and told us the nurse will be right down to give us an update and to wait in a private room. Nerves are on overload, the nurse came in and told us he had lost great amount of blood and was very unstable. They also told us they had given a lot of blood and medicine to keep his heart going. They considered him coding on the table. Scariest thing I've heard. Nurses telling us that he barely made it and is a very very sick little boy. We go back out to the family and wait for the surgery to be over completely. The phone rings and all of us went to the big meeting room to wait to meet the doctor and for him to explain how it went. Two surgeons came in. They were in shock on how much blood he lost and would be surprised if he made it through the night. It felt like I didn't have a heart, it felt like I wanted to die. This couldn't be true. At this point we put all our concerns to God and let him handle this. It was either God will pull him through this are God will take him. They finally let us go see him, we was expecting to see a lifeless baby, pale from all the blood loss and news that we didn't want to hear. We walk up to his bed and there he was, his big beautiful blue eyes looking us. We were beyond thankful, trying to not fall to our knees praising God and thanking him for protecting our son. 48 hours was very critical for him. Two nurses stayed in his room at all times to monitor him. The next morning we went to see him. The doctors had told us they were very shocked and impressed by our little man. They couldn't believe he pulled through without needing any blood products, and was very stable all night. We were so happy we cried. Days went by and he improved everyday and still continues to do so! After he left the PICU, he went in for another procedure. They took out his external shunt to replace it with an internal shunt. This will take the extra fluid off his brain and take it to his abdominal cavity where his body will evaporate it. Waited till he was healed from that and decided to put a feeding tube in from his side of his belly. Gave him 2 days to heal from that and started his first round of chemo! He dominated once again! Now his father and I are taking classes to take care of him at home and should return home soon! Landon Charles Shaw born 10-21-13 has Stage 4 brain cancer. He has been through 4 surgeries, days without eating, picked on every couple of hours and still puts a smile on his face. Thanks to God, Jesus, family, friends, community and counties, our son is healing with the power of prayer and all the support. We want to truly say thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

pcbatiks
April 3rd, 2014, 06:43 PM
May God continue to watch over this little boy and his family........they have been through so much.

Kgrammiecaz
April 3rd, 2014, 07:33 PM
What an amazing little boy you have. It is good to hear he is fighting the battle. Will be sure to keep him in our prayers

alliek
April 3rd, 2014, 09:10 PM
Deut31:8 It is the Lord who goes before you. (Landon) He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.

Shirley
April 3rd, 2014, 10:15 PM
God bless you and your family.

Sandy Navas
April 3rd, 2014, 10:37 PM
I've been following - so sad, so sad. Prayers for the family.

sewbizzy
April 3rd, 2014, 11:20 PM
Sending prayers for Landon and your family...

Simply Quilting
April 3rd, 2014, 11:24 PM
Clarification. Landon is not a family member of mine. But a sweet little baby in the community.

Lisapc
April 4th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Prayers for that poor baby and his family.

Mpyles
April 4th, 2014, 01:33 AM
My niece to the plunge for Landon today.

rebeccas-sewing
April 4th, 2014, 04:46 AM
Wow! What an incredible story. I hope this little continues to heal.

Sheena
April 4th, 2014, 02:10 PM
The poor little boy. I ho he continues to improve.

Bubby
April 4th, 2014, 02:32 PM
I saw this on the news a few nights ago. It's wonderful when a community comes together and pours out its heart to help like this.