PDA

View Full Version : Best Quilting Machines

Pat in HHK
May 30th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Hi - I am new to the site and am wondering what is the best machine to use without breaking the bank? I would like a machine with a litle more room between the needle and the right side of the machine.

Please help:icon_wave:

quiltingtrish
May 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
You and me both - probably a brand, spanking new, long arm that neither you nor I could afford. :)
I'll be watching this topic.

Hugs,

quilter.martha
May 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
You probably won't get more room with a standard sewing machine. I've never seen any real difference in all the various machines there. Get what you can afford. I've always used Singer machines, but I know other quilters prefer different brands. I just bought a Singer Confidence Quilter machine last year and I've been real happy with it. I spent $300 on it at JoAnne Fabric when it was on sale. The main thing I was looking for was the ability to raise and lower the feed dogs and to be able for the machine to stop in the needle down position. That's about as fancy as I really wanted.

JVO
May 30th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I have a Bernina 200 and I have about 7 inches between the needle and the right of the machine. I just bought a Husqvarna Sapphire 875 and it has 10 inches, still not a lot of room, but better than 7. I would love to get one of the new Bernina 820 something like 12 inches, but that would break the bank!!

debinmalaga
May 30th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I also have a Singer Confidence Quilter, got it in January and have been really happy with it.

Susan M
May 30th, 2011, 07:06 PM
The Bernina 430 and 440 don't have much room either. I bought a used Janome 1900DP for $400 and even though it only has 9 inches, it is such a heavy duty machine. Love it. Would love getting a mid-arm.

johanna2le
May 31st, 2011, 07:48 PM
I told my sister in to a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 and she went to her Pfaff store and bought a new to her machine. A lot of people now trade in their pure sewing machines now to get the embroidery machines. Pfaff has the IDT, which is wonderful when quilting

Johanna

Katherine Vickery Ringo
June 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM
You might want to try using a vintage machine like a Singer 201-2 (http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/11/classic-singer-2012-vintage-sewing-machine-review.aspx). It is a great straight-stitch machine making free-motion quilting easy to do on it. I found one on Craigslist pretty inexpensively in a cabinet and it was a wonderful quilting machine for me when I was first starting out last year.

You can see how much harp area it has:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YcqP18N-NKI/Sjg7mOtXL1I/AAAAAAAAAts/pwftfp66_80/s320/DSCF0831.JPG

It is a real workhorse.

MaryB
June 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM
My Pfaff Quilt Expression is just a little older than Johanna's, but Oh how I love that IDT and wouldn't change for quids!

Mary B.

lhayes1976
June 2nd, 2011, 07:52 AM
Another vote for a vintage Singer. I have a 15-91 that I FMQ on. I love it. Plenty of room in the harp. Mine is in a table that folds over and I added a small table to the back. Makes managing the quilt much easier while quilting.

GrammaBabs
June 2nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
I worked with the Singer 201, back in the 60's.... used it to make "machine buttonholes" in handmade sweaters... I have searched ever since for a machine like that one...I still vote for the heavy metal simple machine....
If anyone is interested... i recently ordered from a video i saw about the Singer CG500............ I'm pretty impressed.... i like to sew fast.. strip pieceing.. and this machine has beatiful stitching and plows over thicknesses... i have a few other "high end" machines.. but this one is super...
As for FMQ, i havent tried it yet,,,, it has the foot to do it.. i have the Janome 1600P on a Grace frame for that.... it's fantastic, but I'm still looking for more throat space... for that I'm saving for a bit to purchase the Bailey 17".... yep, i spoil myself... i'm 64, the kids are grown and fine... we are now enjoying retirement... he loves cars, i love sewing, knitting, crochet.... not much for travel, so why not have fun at home!!!!

Southlady1
November 20th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Good for you!! I'm very jealous!! LOL Don't think I'll ever be able to retire!

Dotz
December 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I have both, Singer 201 and the Bernina 440 QE. Niether one has enough arm space but I love them both.

Nena
December 11th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I have a viking designer diamond and it is pretty spacy in the throat plate area. I love it. I do alot of free motion quilting on it. I just did a queen size quilt and had no problems.

jimmysid26
December 16th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Yup i have an suggestion for you HHK. I have a Bernina 200 and I have about 7 inches between the needle and the right of the machine. I just bought a Husqvarna Sapphire 875 and it has 10 inches, still not a lot of room, but better than 7. I would love to get one of the new Bernina 820 something like 12 inches, but that would break the bank!!