PDA

View Full Version : Beach Totes for Summer Vacation

HandsomeRyan
April 1st, 2014, 09:52 AM
I didn't post this in show-&-tell since it isn't even remotely quilt related.

Mrs. HandsomeRyan, Little Man, and I are renting a beach house this summer in SC with two other families we are friends with from high school/college. I decided to make us matching beach totes to commemorate the event. I found some very "beachy" canvas at IKEA of all places. The applique letters are a rainbow striped fabric from my stash which was purchased originally as the binding on some of my primary colored quilts. They will be lined with bleached muslin. I added a pocket to the front of each bag and I think I am going to add a small pocket and a D-loop with a carabiner for keys to the insides as well. I am impressed with how well my HV Sapphire 835 has been sewing through the multiple layers of canvas using a denim needle.

Here are the bag fronts waiting to be sewn to the backs. The letters are the last initials of each family (Cooper, Bland, Gallik). They were applied with wonder under and zig-zag stitched to add a finished edge. I learned that I need friends with easier to cut/stitch last initials. ;)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0002_zpsj6nbjjfl.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0002_zpsj6nbjjfl.jpg.html)

Question: Is it worth using fusible interfacing to reinforce the muslin lining where the interior pocket will be? The pocket won't be very big and will not have a lot of weight put into it but I know muslin isn't the strongest fabric in the world either. Opinions welcome.

MayinJerset
April 1st, 2014, 09:55 AM
Cool totes Ryan, sure to be a big hit with your friends. No advice about fusing the pocket but I'm sure you will get some soon. May

Sandy Navas
April 1st, 2014, 10:11 AM
Ryan, I'd probably fuse the pocket and stitch clear through to the back. Just when you think someone won't put something heavy in it they will . . . You think you need friends named Ingram or Ireland or something?

GrammaBabs
April 1st, 2014, 10:16 AM
Ryan.. you have found a new "nitch".. these are fabulous!!! You could double the fabric for the pocket as well.... small stitches and 2 rows of them is another plus..IKEA does have some wonderful fabrics (for those of us that love Home Dec stuff).... lots of it is something you can't find anywhere else an at an affordable price..This type of item is very useful to have in your repitorey (spelling.. whatever, you know what I mean)... serves you well, for surprises and gifties!!!! Hugs to Mrs. HR and Sawyer!!!

EnumclawGramma
April 1st, 2014, 10:17 AM
Nicely done Ryan! I have no advice to offer here, only continued praise for your cache of talent! I'm impressed!

WendyI
April 1st, 2014, 10:48 AM
Wow...those are 'AWESOMAZING' as my Liam would say! Great job! Incidentally, my last name starts with "I"! ;)

bubba
April 1st, 2014, 10:54 AM
When I make totes, and I have made a lot of them, I always use the 987F on the interior pockets. Of course, in the bags I make, the women usually are carrying phones/kindles/iPads, so it adds some protection. If you don't have to worry about that, I wouldn't bother.

Ahamblin
April 1st, 2014, 11:19 AM
What a wonderful gift idea. I am sure they will love them and they are so useful. When I make totes I do put shirt tailors on the lining just to give it extra support but like above they are usually have keys, phones, extra in the pockets. Please post pictures of the completed bags.

WendyI
April 1st, 2014, 11:21 AM
When I make totes, and I have made a lot of them, I always use the 987F on the interior pockets. Of course, in the bags I make, the women usually are carrying phones/kindles/iPads, so it adds some protection. If you don't have to worry about that, I wouldn't bother.

Bubba...what is 987F??

HandsomeRyan
April 1st, 2014, 11:43 AM
Bubba...what is 987F??

987F Fusible Fleece | Pellon® Projects (http://www.pellonprojects.com/products/987f-fusible-fleece/)

songbird857
April 1st, 2014, 05:56 PM
So cute - seems like you're getting back into the swing of things sewing-wise! I'd reinforce the pockets - just in case. It'll probably take you 5 extra minutes to add it and you won't worry later about the pockets :)

Iris Girl
April 1st, 2014, 06:02 PM
Nice job on the totes Ryan!! I think I would use double layer of muslin with either fusible interfacing or fusible fleece in between then sew it on as usual.

Simply Quilting
April 1st, 2014, 07:32 PM
Great idea :)

WendyI
April 1st, 2014, 08:29 PM
Wow...those are 'AWESOMAZING' as my Liam would say! Great job! Incidentally, my last name starts with "I"! ;)

and not only do I have a really cool last name first initial...I really like cottages and beachy things too! How much better could that be! Is there a tote in my future?! LOL! I can't wait to see it done! And thanks for explaining Fusible Fleece! I truly do learn something new every day!

EmmaB
April 1st, 2014, 08:38 PM
Those are really cool! Your friends will love them!

Shirley
April 1st, 2014, 08:42 PM
Can't answer your question, but they are great bags! By first initial is S. :icon_heh:

HandsomeRyan
April 2nd, 2014, 08:05 AM
Made some progress last night but forgot to snap any pictures. I got the canvas outsides sewn together and boxed the bottoms. The finished outside dimensions will be something like 20" wide, 15" tall, and about 7" deep. I think this is a good size because it is big enough for a few towels and a bottle of sunscreen but not ridiculously large to the point of being unwieldy. I also found some tiny little carabiners in the hardware section at Walmart which can snap onto the D rings to keep keys from getting los in the bottom of the bag or worse, falling out and getting lost in the sand!

I also got the muslin for the inside pockets cut, interfaced, and ironed. I decided to make it a sort of double pocket that 6" deep by 12" wide but with a line of stitching in the middle making it two 6"x6" pockets next to each other. I figure this provides an opportunity for two cell phones or a cell phone and a bottle of sunscreen to be kept "organised". The front outside pocket is roughly 8" square.

Tonight, if I can find time, I'd like to get the pieces of interfacing ironed to the lining and get the pockets sewn into place. If that goes quickly I might even be able to get the lining fronts and backs sewn together and boxed out. Then all that is left is sewing the bags together (handles are cotton strapping so nothing to make there) and then sew in the D loops for keys and this project will be done.

I am debating if I should surprise the other families with the bags at the beach, or send them pictures so they don't waste space packing a similar bag (one family is driving from middle Tennessee, the other is flying from Chicago) in their luggage. I'll probably send them pictures both so they don't end up wasting space on a second bag and more importantly because I am proud of them and can't wait to show them off. :)

snippet
April 2nd, 2014, 01:25 PM
Nice work! I love the carabiner idea, I'm always looking for a place for my keys to attach to.

Send a photo to your friends before they leave so they won't be packing extra things - good idea.