PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday - April 1 !!!

Blondie
April 1st, 2014, 06:44 AM

Happy April 1 and Happy Tuesday Folksies!
No fooling around here; I never was very good at practical jokes. Well, that's not completely true; I would play the worst jokes on my ex - problem is it didn't have to be April 1 and I never told him that I spit in his food or let the dogs lick his plate before serving his food. Ooops, did I say that? Oh well, I was just a silly young girl who went to sleep a bit angry sometimes. Nothing like divorce to make everything peachy keen again.

If today is as lovely as yesterday was I will not be sewing. So much running to do yesterday - what a joy to be able to see the sunshine and feel the warmth of it! It was pretty cool in the early am when I brought Middle Son Josh to the dentist but it got up to about 70 yesterday. Josh got some anti-b's for his absess, needs a molar pulled and his wisdom teeth as well. How is it that dentists get to charge two arms and one leg? I think it is because when you're in pain, you'll agree to anything.

So folksies - It's April 1st! Does that mean it is gonna be Spring? Everything is so brown here! Not much up and showing signs of renewal. I sure do miss my Daddy during the Spring sowing. I miss him anytime but good golly, he could grow some pretty veggies. My granny, (his ma) I believe could stick a finger in the soil and grow a hand. She had that proverbial green thumb. Sis got more of that than I did. I still enjoy puttering with pretty things. I will be working hard in Mom's yard again this season as well as my own. Middle Son has plans for the yard across the road and trust me, he is a flower child. The only one of my three children that likes to play in dirt. I'll take it.

Be safe out there mid-westerners - April is not always kind to you. No joke. Blessings, prayers, hugs for all who need and want them. Smiles are never optional here. I can smile at anything - even the memory of those plate licking dogs.

Madeforyouinma11
April 1st, 2014, 07:39 AM
Good morning!
I don't do well with the practical jokes either Blondie. Never thought of having the dog lick my Ex's plate...that's a good one.
So glad that josh got some meds. Hope he feels better soon. Our weather was wet again all day yesterday and still cold...not liking the cold anymore. It's 27 right now but supposed to reach 50... I'll take it.
Trying to plan our vegetable garden but can't do much with this weather...
Well, yesterday I started playing with some appliqués to make Julia a little blanket for April. I'm going to appliqué a fuzzy bunny and some Easter eggs onto it. I'm also working on the sweatshirt quilt for the same person I made the sweater quilt. Got it all cut and laid out yesterday so today I'll sew it all together.
Not much of anything else on the agenda for today. Hoping everyone has a great day and prayers to all in need.

Iris Girl
April 1st, 2014, 07:48 AM
Good April 1st everyone!! Glad Josh got some meds. Not much for April fools jokes. This would have been my favorite Aunts B'day had she been still with us. It is a chilly 28 atm but promises of 50's so 2 loads of laundry out on the line. My son hauled out a blanket I crocheted for him when he was about 5. It is all granny squares and in the shape of a big train. I thought he wanted to throw it away , but instead he said You nuts this is my blankie I want it washed so I can properly put it away... He is 30 now , what a feeling that gave me that he did not want to get rid of it.
We had an important visit at work yesterday hope all went well, they all arrived as I left. Work in a bit.

OHH and a very very special hug and thanks to Lilly for finding my fabric and offering to send it to me!!

Smile everyone its gonna be a great day!
Hugs to those that need them

MRoy
April 1st, 2014, 08:04 AM
Good morning and Happy April Fool's Day! I'm not much of a practical joker either so it will probably be just another day here. I made a big grocery haul yesterday...other than milk and maybe bread, I hope I've stocked us up for almost a month. DH has build a small greenhouse to start his veggie plants in. The roof went on yesterday and, as soon as he gets the float bed built and filled, he'll be ready to go. We have a Cattlemen's Association meeting tonight...DH goes for the meeting content, I go for the meal content. ;)

It's supposed to be warm here today, gonna get out and enjoy the sunshine before the rain moves in tomorrow.

Monique
April 1st, 2014, 08:26 AM
Good morning from sunny Trenton this fine day. Maizyn is up and ready for the day. It was her 4th birthday yesterday. My how time flies. Today is Phil's graduation from his course. Two good reasons to be here today. Will be back home later today I think. Jodi really likes the curtains I made for her.

Have a great day. Any time spent with family is great and today will be extra special for us.

Bubby
April 1st, 2014, 08:32 AM
Morning Everyone,

It must be Spring because my allergies are in full bloom. Allegra here I come.

Not sure what's on my plate today. Going back to bed is a real temptation but I have too much to get done today for that again this morning.

Blondie, I loved your comment about your Granny growing a hand! My Mom was like that. One of her words of wisdom was that you can grow more veggies in a crooked row than in a straight row. She actually had some of the most beautiful veggie gardens I've ever seen. She also canned constantly all summer when the food was ready. She planted 100 tomato plants every year and made tomato juice, canned tomatoes, salsa, spaghetti sauce, tomato puree, tomato sauce, etc. Dad was always so proud of her gardening skills. I'm so glad she taught me how to grow veggies and can. I have a glass-top stove now and I can't use a canner on it, but I freeze sweet corn and applesauce and several other things for us to use throughout the year. Very little goes to waste at our house.

I've been buying a couple spools of Aurifil thread at a time lately and find it gives me much less lint when I sew and the thread is so fine it's barely visible when I machine piece. Aurifil is expensive but a spool here and there doesn't kill the budget. I'm only buying neutrals...white, cream, tan, gray and black.

I hope everyone has a good day.

cindyinohio
April 1st, 2014, 08:50 AM
Good morning!
Well, the first April Fool's joke is from Mother Nature...was supposed to warm and sunny so we have plans to get our camper set up on the river lot...but no...it's raining!!!!

buckeyequilter
April 1st, 2014, 08:59 AM

Good morning.....

It is supposed to be 65 here today...I sure hope mother nature isn't playing a joke on us...like snow tomorrow!

I'm working on a couple of quilts and trying to get them finished up....doing the hand stitching on the binding on one and a little more border quilting on the other and then trim and bind.

Well need to get busy....have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs

dizzyLiz
April 1st, 2014, 09:11 AM
Good morning all. April Fools day.....I have to tell you, i have a new store manager, her first time having a store, and full of herself. You all know my physical challenges. Anyway, when I am in extreme pain, I walk with a bit of a limp. This store manager called me into the office and told me that her sister also had lymes disease. She pulled up a Life Resources available to employees and said she wanted me to know it was there. I've been with the company 9 years, I know. Then she tells me that her sister goes to a gym every day and she thinks I need to "push" myself a bit more. I told her I was so sorry her sister lived with what I do; inflamation in the body 64 times the acceptable increased amount, allergic to everything to the point that just living her daily life, her body is constantly under attack, not to mention the asthma as a result of said allergic reaction. I also told her that it was lovely her sister could go to the gym, as I, if I'm not careful when I sweep/mop my floors, I can't walk for days. I expressed my surprise that her sister had my condition as all of my doctors have never seen a case this bad in their careers ( I'm quoting here). I also told her how wonderful it was that our company had trained doctors as store managers and she could send me a bill, then I walked out.
Now I just put a nail in the proverbial coffin with her. But enough is enough. I have worked for the company nine years, even with my condition, I carry the lion's share of the work load. I have intermitten family leave for my illness to protect my job, and insurance. This woman is so fake it is nauseating. She is a major type A personality, and she has decided I'm fat, lazy and need to push myself. I'm not in the mood for this girls, but i know the type and I'm on her hit list. I have one thing to say......hostile work environment. Pray I don't lose my temper any more then I have.

Wishing all a happy stress free day,

Liz

MayinJerset
April 1st, 2014, 09:47 AM
Mother Nature isn't fooling us today as it is sunny this morning which is a nice change from 3 days gloomy rainy days.

Food shopping and errands today. Since I don't have a big freezer I usually food shop weekly, skipped last week as I picked up lots of fresh fruits and veggies at the farm market. Relied on freezer and pantry for last week's meals and now they need restocking. Did a look through the pantry to see what's needed and found several items I have no idea why I bought them and will have to come up with some recipes to use them up.

Have to get DH's shopping list written, he is in charge of getting the paper products, milk, juice, cereal and cold cuts, and will include No Ice Cream across the top and bottom of the list. He seems to think that because it is on sale it is less fattening than it is at full price. DS#1 will be over for dinner tonight so I plan something simple and quick as I have to leave around 7 for a small quilt group meeting, DH and DS can clean up and have tea and dessert while I'm gone.

EnumclawGramma
April 1st, 2014, 10:08 AM

Happy April 1! How is that possible? Wasn't it JUST Christmas?!?

No set plans today, hoping that means sewing time! I had a good busy day yesterday, yoga was wonderful! I'm getting to really seriously miss it on weekends, and my body tells me when I NEED it! That's a good sign.

Yesterday was such a beautiful morning, and I got a big surprise when I went to take DGD to school and had to scrape ice. Oy. I've only had to do this a couple times this year. Seemed so strange. My trees are all in full bloom and things are really beginning to grow. My daughter went out and cleaned up Winter's mess in my front yard, now we just have the back to go. That's the BIG job, and one that usually takes planning a big get together to get it done!. We all work best under pressure I guess.....

I wanted just 5 more minutes of sleep this morning but I've got this EXTREMELY elderly cat who had other plans. She is SO loud, and insistent. I think she either gets lonely or lost. Not sure which. She yells right outside my bedroom door. I'll get up and feed her, go back to bed. She yells. I'll get up and turn heat on for her, go back to bed. She yells. Not sure what's going on with her....but oy vey! I'm UP!!!

Ok, that's it from my corner of the world. I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL day for the 1st of April. Hugs/Prayers to all who want/need.

Sandy Navas
April 1st, 2014, 10:30 AM
I have a full slate today. I have an interview set up with Matt Lauer at 10. Hopefully that will go fine - I've been coached and rehearsed. This has been planned for about a year now. Then, at 11 I'm flying to London for lunch with the Queen. It won't be my first time meeting her, but since I was tiny when I first met her, I doubt she'll truly remember. After lunch I'm headed to Bali where I will stock up on some glorious batiks that I'll have cut into charm squares and I'll be sending all our forum members several packs. If I'm not worn out before bedtime, I hope to attend the Fireman's Ball being held here for charity. I've already donated more than they've collected ever.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. I was trying to come up with something silly and entertaining, but the old brain just doesn't work that well any more. I did see where someone wet cotton balls and put them all over a car parked outside in the cold (and since it's below freezing here AGAIN this morning) it would have been a great one to do on my son-in-law.

Have a wonderful one and obey Miss Blondie.

Simply Quilting
April 1st, 2014, 10:30 AM
Morning. Today marks the one year anniversary of my Grandma's death. It is one of those bitter sweet days. We had about a week of touch and go with her. Then on March 31, which was Easter, she got up and ate lunch in the dinning room and had a good day - the final rebound before death. I was glad that she was up and about on Easter plus we had been praying that she not die on March 31 because it was my mom's birthday (would not be a good day to have to deal each year knowing that your birthdate was also the day that your mother-in-law passed away.) She was a wonderful Christian lady who taught me so many things. She taught me to sew. She had a very green thumb with any plant whether it was her vegetable garden or her flowers both inside and outside. She grew beautiful African Violets that just bloomed and bloomed. I did not get her green thumb. She lived to be almost 100.

I don't really have much planned for the day. Right now, my teeth and jawline really hurts, so I might be calling a dentist after bit. I hate going to the dentist - my teeth are super sensitive and every time they are cleaned or worked on, it is extremely painful. I think that I am going to go back to bed and put a heatpad on for a while and see if that helps. This is not how I wanted to spend the first day of April.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

auntiemern
April 1st, 2014, 10:58 AM
Good morning all. Yes today is April 1st. I don't think much about april fools, but the girls did. They were funny trying to get me this morning. Today s also the first day of Child Abuse Awareness month. I made pillow cases yesterday, and found a couple of tops that had been sent to me, I am going to get put together today. I feel like I am so far behind with everything. On that note, time to read the forum posts, and then get busy. Hugs and blessings to all, prayers for those in need.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM

Happy April 1! How is that possible? Wasn't it JUST Christmas?!?

No set plans today, hoping that means sewing time! I had a good busy day yesterday, yoga was wonderful! I'm getting to really seriously miss it on weekends, and my body tells me when I NEED it! That's a good sign.

Yesterday was such a beautiful morning, and I got a big surprise when I went to take DGD to school and had to scrape ice. Oy. I've only had to do this a couple times this year. Seemed so strange. My trees are all in full bloom and things are really beginning to grow. My daughter went out and cleaned up Winter's mess in my front yard, now we just have the back to go. That's the BIG job, and one that usually takes planning a big get together to get it done!. We all work best under pressure I guess.....

I wanted just 5 more minutes of sleep this morning but I've got this EXTREMELY elderly cat who had other plans. She is SO loud, and insistent. I think she either gets lonely or lost. Not sure which. She yells right outside my bedroom door. I'll get up and feed her, go back to bed. She yells. I'll get up and turn heat on for her, go back to bed. She yells. Not sure what's going on with her....but oy vey! I'm UP!!!

Ok, that's it from my corner of the world. I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL day for the 1st of April. Hugs/Prayers to all who want/need.

Libby, my 17+ year old crotchety old male cat does the same thing! He howls at the wall, the sink the food dish, can't tell if he is lonely, lost or hurting, but it sure is loud! He has always been a loud cat, he is back to his howling he did as a young cat! Crazy boy!

I want to work on Josefine's block today. I got my costuming done for this weeks opening, I want to squeeze in a few quilt sessions before I need to start on the show's costumes for the last week in April.

Grandkids are coming over a bunch this week before and after school. Love having them here, as long as sibling rivalry doesn't rear its ugly head, then life is not fun! Mom's schedule changes every week, and at no time is she able to both take them to school and pick them up, unless she is off work. It falls on me to do this, but I don't mind, as long as I have advanced warning.

Hope you all have a great day! The trees in Tennessee and Georgia were blooming beautifully, but the trees here are barely showing signs of life. The Bradford pears down south are almost finished blooming, and mine is still crispy brown looking. I have some precious plants that I hope survived the winter.

WendyI
April 1st, 2014, 11:38 AM
Well I'm at work but I would very much rather be at home sewing I can tell you! I've hurt my lower back somehow and have no idea what I did. I put it out about 14 years ago just by lifting a vacuum, and it has bothered me ever since....but usually when I overdo things (too much gardening, too much walking, too much housework...that last one doesn't happen very often ;) lol) but this time it's nothing I've done...and maybe that's the problem too...not doing enough. I need to start exercising for sure. Anyway, it's going to rain here and my bones sure are agreeing with that forecast.

Hope the day goes quickly so I can get home, write Josefine's card and get the blocks sent off to Klasien. Have a great day all!

MayinJerset
April 1st, 2014, 11:45 AM
Oh, Sandy had me going there for a second but see that she's been funnying us again, why not it's April Fool's day,

GinnyKNC
April 1st, 2014, 11:55 AM
Happy April! Blondie it is supposed to be in the 80s most of the week and I'm so excited. Spring did show it's face here with all the trees blooming (the flowers have already fallen from the Bradford Pears and is killing my sinuses lol), the red buds, the daffodils bloomed, the tulips, the hyacinths, the crocus and the Japanese Magnolia's. Even the azalea bushes, Japanese maples and hydrangea have buds :) The iris's are coming up :) No sign of the Peonies or dogwoods yet though. I love spring and all it brings even if the allergies do get a little crazy. I miss seeing Lilacs though. I can't seem to grow them here.
I hope I get a chance to sew tonight but I'm not sure I will. So much to do. My mom is heading back up to see the baby lol. You would think Madison is her first great grandchild but she's not. She's funny. That also means I need to clean house really good before she gets here. Not that she cares, but I do.
Well have a blessed day everyone. Hugs to all and prayers to those in need.

EmmaB
April 1st, 2014, 12:31 PM
Gooood Morning!!

It’s suppose to be another gorgeous day in my neck of the woods and glad of it. After work I’ll have to get out there and enjoy what’s left. Going to throw out some grass seed this evening and hope, hope, hope it comes up. If not, I’ll throw out some more. I try, but not much of a gardener.

Like you Blondie, I’m not too good at practical jokes. Sure do wish I would have thought to have the dog lick my ex’s plate. That’s a good one. I use to go to bed a big angry myself. Now, not so much!

Oh, Cil! I never even thought about a sweatshirt quilt. I’ve always seen t-shirt ones. That would be so cuddly!!!! Filing that idea away in my ever growing “quilt file”.

Iris, don’t ya just love it when your kid, no matter what age, makes you feel so warm and fuzzy.

Myrna, I so miss working with cattle. My dad had cattle when I was growing up. I was not allowed to do any of the hard stuff, but when he would bring home a calf that the momma wasn’t tending to, I just loved taking care of it. That was my job.

Enjoy your family time Monique!!!

Barb I hope you can get your allergies under control. I’m so thankful that I don’t have allergy problems.

Yuck, Cindy. Rain, rain go away!!!!

I hope you get to your 65 degrees today Shirley and are able to get out and enjoy it. You all have been really slammed by Mother Nature this year.

Good for you Liz! I hope your new boss realizes she needs to overlook your illness and value you what you can do when you are present.

Have a nice shopping day May!

Time flies when you’re having fun Libby!! Don’t know about you but I’m very glad to have this winter behind me!!

You’re such a mess Sandy! You are too funny.

Hope you feel better SimplyQuilting!!

Auntiemern, you have such a generous heart. Have an awesome day!

Jean, whenever I see your username I think of Jean Jean the Dancin Machine from the Gong Show. Good grief, the things that pop in my brain! No disrespect toward you but in my head that’s what I call you.

Feel better Wendy! Too bad we didn’t live nearer to Libby and then we could all meet and do yoga. I keep eyeing some yoga dvd’s sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

Ginny, like you I love the excitement spring brings. Enjoy the colors of spring.

Time to do some work ladies. Have a great day!!

toggpine
April 1st, 2014, 01:16 PM
They sun is out here today! The rain will be back in a day or so though.

Today is hubby's birthday and after morning chores I'll run to the grocery to pick up the few things for his dinner. When Em gets home from school we'll make cupcakes for dessert.
Spring is coming along here too. Things are greening up all over.
Cil, we tried something new with our veggie gardens this year. We had a day that wasn't horribly cold or raining and we weeded out the entire garden. We have been running a hoe or a trowel through the dirt every time we get a dry day and it seems to be keeping the weeds down. I'm not sure how well it will work once we get the veggies in place, but it has to be better than in the past. I have also found that if I do a quick once over of the beds I have already done, then move on to a new area, it keeps them all under better control. By summer I should only have light maintenance on all of the yard instead of them getting unruly as I cycle through the veggie & flower beds. We'll see how my plan comes together!

grammakim04
April 1st, 2014, 04:27 PM
Good afternoon everyone!
We still have so much snow here in Alberta...will spring ever arrive :(
Received a phone call from 2 of Chuck's sisters that they are coming for a visit. They will be arriving on Thursday....I think they will be quite shocked when they see him as it has been 6 months since they were last here. Chuck is looking forward to seeing them. He comes from a very large family of 11 children...so far three have passed on. I hope the visit goes well.

So today I'm doing housework and still working on a special memory quilt for special parents who lost their 2 yr old son to cancer four years ago. It's a tough quilt to work on...they presented to me all his blankets, towels, even the blankets from the hospital and asked me to turn them into a quilt. All the fabrics are different thickness and weights and they didn't want just plains squares. I decided to make a braided quilt. It's been quite a challenge but it's coming along.

Our weather man is stating we are suppose to have sunshine later this week and some of the snow will be melting...I will believe it when it happens. In Alberta, we have a saying, "Wait 5 minutes and the weather will change."

Happy Sewing Everyone! Kim