PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo and Indians

Lonna
March 30th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Sue and myself spent the day down in New Orleans started the day with beignets and a voodoo cemetery tour. It was a two hour walking tour. They will put numerous bodies in these tombs it is believed that there are over 80 bodies in Marie Laveau's tomb. Our tour guides family tomb is right across from hers and he said there are 30 in his family's tomb.
72260 Marie Laveau the Voodoo queen according to our tour guide there is only one other grave that is visited more then hers and that is Elvis's grave. JFK's grave site comes in number 3.

72261 This tomb was in the film Easy Rider (telling my age here)

72262 And this will some day be the resting place of Nickolas Cage.

After Visiting St. Louis Cemetery #1 we then went to Congo Square and then to see a Voodoo practitioner. After the tour we caught a cab to midcity in search of the Mardi Gras Indian's. What a sight to see the Indians have there own parade normally the Sunday after Mardi Gras in which they call it Super Sunday. But because of the weather they had to postpone it until this Sunday. These outfits will take these men a year or more to make and they will spend thousands of dollars to complete them. They are all handmade and hand beaded.

After the parade we asked a New Orleans Police officer which was the best way to head to either find a cab or streetcar back to the French Quarter. Pointed us in the direction of St. Charles Ave saying it was only a couple of blocks away. Don't believe them it was over 10 blocks away. We did catch the street car which was Sues first time and only my second to ride on the street cars. Which was great as it did take us right to the foot of Bourbon St. and Canal. Then down to the seven hundred block of Bourbon to go to Marie Lavuea's voodoo shop to pick up some beads for Sues son. All in all according to my fitbit we walked over 7 miles today. But what a great day it was and I just wanted to share it all with you.

New York Sue
March 30th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I would have LOVED to be there with you, chica!

Just sayin'.....

Grandma G
March 30th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Lonna - that sounds like it was a lot of fun! I'm a cemetery gal. Have spent a great deal of time in them searching for long lost ancestors for my genealogy. And starting with beignets is my cup of tea, too!! Thanks for the wonderful pics.

MayinJerset
March 31st, 2014, 07:54 AM
My DGD and her husband moved to New Orleans last year and we are hoping to visit them soon. Don't think DH and I are up to doing as much as you did in one day but we will certainly stop and enjoy a few beignets.

Blondie
March 31st, 2014, 08:24 AM
What a fun day for you both. Thank you for sharing those pics and the info. Fascinating stuff.

Sandy Navas
March 31st, 2014, 10:18 AM
Ooooh, my feet are aching! But what an exciting day. Love trips like that.

K. McEuen
March 31st, 2014, 01:22 PM
Looks like a very interesting and fun day!

mommadeb
March 31st, 2014, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a great time. Glad you enjoyed it.

Carolyn23
March 31st, 2014, 02:10 PM
{All in all according to my fitbit we walked over 7 miles today.}

Lonna, how do you like your Fitbit? I've been thinking about getting one of those. Which one do you have?

Wwena
March 31st, 2014, 02:24 PM
That is quite the excursion! I wish I could do it with you, sounds like great sights to see! As an old Anne Rice fan I will have to make the trek one day sooner or later. :)

I read that the traditional "Hollywood" image of voodoo is quite wrong - no black magic or voodoo dolls with pins in them etc in real life.

WendyI
March 31st, 2014, 05:25 PM
Wow! I can barely walk a 1/4 mile, never mind 7! You must be tired....sure looks like a fun day!

Lonna
March 31st, 2014, 07:33 PM
Carolyn I love my fitbit this is my second one. I had the Ultra for about a year and a half then it bit the dust. I now have the fitbit One. It does motivate me to get out and move more.

Anne you are correct the voodoo dolls are "Hollywood". In reality Marie Laveau treated the sick she tended to those with the yellow fever plus she would see to those who were imprisoned.

And yes I am paying for all that walking yesterday as my calves are just a bit sore today.

bhaggerty
April 1st, 2014, 12:56 AM
Oh, now I want some Café DuMonde beignets and coffee!!!