PDA

View Full Version : EXTREME COUPONERS????

RFREE
March 29th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Anybody out there participate in extreme couponing? I recently met a lady on FB who does this and gets tons of products for pennies or FREE and then sells what she has stock piled to support her family of 7. Yikes that 5 kids under the age of 7.Includes a set of 3 month old twins!!! Anyway as it turns out she lives last than a mile and a half from me. I have been "shopping" with her for a couple weeks now and saving tons of money. She is gonna teach me how to do it too!!!

Just curious if anybody here does it???

Think of all the money you can save for your fabric stash!!!!:D

TRLSRL72
March 29th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I did for about 2 years. One of the girls who was on the show lives in NC and held a class that I attended. My stockpile is huge and with only 3 people in my family I had to slow down. You can save a lot of money by doing this. I do have to say its nice when I run out of something I only have to go upstairs to replace it. I have never sold anything, but I have helped a lot of people and that makes me feel good. Have fun with it. Hope you save tons of money.

Quiltfreestyle
March 29th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I have a friend at church & we call her the Queen of Coupons cuz she does this too. She is single & doesn't need to do this for herself, but she loves it, so she shops for the Parish Food Bank we started. It really makes a big difference to the people around here.

Doloris
March 29th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I used to coupon a lot and then got away from it. It's great to be able to stock up and help other people, but I think it is wrong to then turn around and sell it to others when it was free to you. Everybody is just out to make the almighty dollar instead of helping their fellow man. JMO

auntiemern
March 29th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I think if she is selling to supplement her income for her large family there is nothing wrong with that. It isn't like she stole the stuff and is reselling.
I used to coupon a lot and then got away from it. It's great to be able to stock up and help other people, but I think it is wrong to then turn around and sell it to others when it was free to you. Everybody is just out to make the almighty dollar instead of helping their fellow man. JMO

coffeebreak
March 29th, 2014, 11:31 PM
I ysed to...but the coupons these days are basically useless. The values of the coupons are so little its not worth bothering with...the price of buying hte newspaper or ink/paper to print online. I mean buy 3 cans of something and save 10cents? Check the brand next to it and it is usually cheaper without the coupon! I have found the majority of coupons are for pets, babys, GLade, stuff that is such a "hardly ever use" kind of thing - none of which I have... I went last week through 3 of the sunday circulars...Red Plum and SMart Source and... whatever... and I only cut 3 coupons that were usable to me! Year ago I could safely say I saved $10-$20 per shopping trip and we usually went once a month for hte month and then a stop for milk or fresh stuff inbetween there. The coupons are just not what they used to be. I watched that show and they NEVER tell you where to get all the high value coupons. They say dumpster dive for sunday paper coupons ad print online, but...online you are only allowed to print 3 or each coupon per month per IP address. Other than that, they never say how/where they get the massive amounts of coupons they have. And the coupons have short expiration dates..usually n o longer than 30 days...so how can they have binders on top of binders full of coupons? I have tried to email MANY places and ask for coupons to be mailed to me and the all told me to look online or in the sunday papers. And if you notice on that show...they only show those that have a store that doubles coupons. Out here in CA..NO ONE doubles coupons and often even have a limit of like 30 coupons per transaction! And the NEVER give back if the coupon/sale is more than regular price. THey will only go the value of the price. If they didn't double the coupon, they wouldn't get most of what they got. And they seldom show them using any coupons for fresh foods, meats, dairy, produce, etc.
I dont' mean to rant, but those "extreme couponers" have ruined the industry for those of us just trying to make ends meet. Most of what they buy will spoil, got sour, or stale before they can even begin to use what they have...like soda...that stuff goes flat within 3 months.. I know,.,, I tested it...albeit not intentionally. I bought 5 24 packs of soda when they were on sale. Thought that'd last all summer, the kids come over etc. Well, the summer was busy and I didn't see the kids much and I dont' drink soda so after 3 months I went to get some and it was flat and no fizz! So getting 50 of the liter bottles for free...what's the point if they go bad and just get dumped?
Sorry, off my soap box now. I am just mad at those that have taken what little bit of savings opportunity I had away from me. March was the second month in a row that I didn't have ANY coupons to use. I cut 4 from last Sundays paper, and they expire April 2 which is this Tuesday and I already did my shopping for this month and it isn't saving anything if I make a special trip to the store just for those items...with gas at $4 a gallon now!

Lisapc
March 29th, 2014, 11:33 PM
I have watched those shows but my grocery store doesn't double coupons or give you any of the cash that is left if the coupon is more than the cost of the item. Not only that I don't buy much processed food. My cart is full of vegetables, meat and very little else. I have yet to see coupons for meat, fish, the dairy I buy and even the little processed foods I do buy. My boys love Oreo's and I have never seen a coupon for the double stuff ones. I don't buy my cleaning supplies there and buy very little else that I have ever seen a coupon for. I like what I like. I am not serving food just because I got it on sale or had a coupon and I am not using a deodorant or any product just because of a coupon either.

To each his own and we all have different opinions on this right? I do wonder if these people realize how long this stuff lasts because on most of these shows I have seen the items they are storing are going to be out of date before they could ever be used.

Hulamoon
March 29th, 2014, 11:47 PM
I tried but my stores aren't great with putting ads in the paper and I'm not into downloading them. Most of the stuff I don't buy anyway. The show was fun to watch. A little coo-coo sometimes. lol

ilive2craft2
March 29th, 2014, 11:59 PM
I am not an extreme couponer and am not much of a couponer at all - I usually buy the store brands and those don't usually have coupons, since they are so much cheaper than the name brands anyway. I do use Kroger's online coupons - you load them to your Kroger card and they automatically get deducted if you purchase the product - no printing needed. I just load the ones for the items and brands I would buy normally.

My sister is starting to do this - I guess there are some online sites that tell you the circular the coupon is in and who has it on sale so that you get the best possible price. If you want more info on the sites, I can ask her. :)

CountryHut
March 30th, 2014, 12:15 AM
those that coupon like that -- spend a huge amount of ''''time'''' on couponing . .

I think if she is selling to supplement her income for her large family there is nothing wrong with that. It isn't like she stole the stuff and is reselling.

Doloris
March 30th, 2014, 12:16 AM

I;m all for couponing and saving money wherever you can. Whenever someone takes advantage of something, someone else has to pay for it. That would be you and me in higher grocery prices.
When they then resell those things I now would be paying for it twice. once in higher prices and then to her for something she got free.
I think stores should limit how many coupons you can use, or better yet, eliminate coupons all together and lower grocery prices so everybody benefits.

New York Sue
March 30th, 2014, 12:40 AM
A friend of mine, sort of, kind of, does this...
She has an area in her garage that looks like a mini convenience store. With a freezer to boot!
I wish I had the time and energy...

Hulamoon
March 30th, 2014, 01:09 AM
I;m all for couponing and saving money wherever you can. Whenever someone takes advantage of something, someone else has to pay for it. That would be you and me in higher grocery prices.
When they then resell those things I now would be paying for it twice. once in higher prices and then to her for something she got free.
I think stores should limit how many coupons you can use, or better yet, eliminate coupons all together and lower grocery prices so everybody benefits.

I agree. We have one store that limits to two. The other two stores offer rewards cards. The tourists even get to use them. I have passed my card to a tourist before so they could save. Reselling is kind of sleazy to me. Pass your savings onto shelters or something. I did see some did that on the shows.

andralynaa
March 30th, 2014, 01:38 AM
I used to coupon and i was able to reduce our monthly grocery bill by quite a bit, but got away from it after developing some health problems that limit my mobility. I don't believe in "extreme" couponing. I buy what I need for my family with a stockpile that fits our needs. When someone cleans off the shelves so they can resell them, they're taking away from those of us that want to have enough for our families and try to save on a grocery bill. It seems a little greedy to me to take all 100 mustards that the store has in stock just because you can. That's just my opinion and I know not everyone agrees, but that's my 2 cents.

MRoy
March 30th, 2014, 02:06 AM
I've reduced my grocery bill by 25-35% with coupons and watching sales...but I'm not an extreme couponer.

carolynrae
March 30th, 2014, 02:53 AM
I use to get 5 papers ever Sunday when I lived in Utah. The Wal-Mart we lived close to doubled coupons (and still does) every Tuesday. Like others have said I got so much stuff I ended up giving it away to a Women's shelter in the area. Then I cut down to 3 papers because it is just my husband and myself left at home. Since then we have moved to Ca. Now I get 1 paper because it is delivered for less than 50c. In California no one doubles coupons but you can still find some good deals. Krazy Coupon Lady and Coupon Mom are two sites I still use. In the last 7 days I have gotten 8 bars of soap, 2 Almay eye make removers, and $2.50 toward my others purchases. All for free, from printing coupons on line. You can print two coupons per computer, and it must be a different e-mail address on each computer. I was not paying attention on the Almay coupon or I would have printed 4 instead of one. Then I would have gotten 8 jars of eye make up remover and $10.00 cash back or towards other purchases. It does take work but with todays grocery prices consistently going up every time you go to the store, it is well worth it. I have not bought soap, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. for years. You can price match at Wal-Mart and use a coupon. I also ask for coupons when I go to the dentist, I found a 55c off dental floss, the coupons are usually good for a year and the last time I went to Utah I took my coupons and got 11 dentals flosses free. I also asked all my neighbors, friends, family to save me the coupons they did not use, I put a box on my front porch and they just dropped them in, I had one guy just put them in a bag and left them on his porch and I picked them up. Call your local newspaper and ask if you can pick up the left over coupons they don't use. Some say they have to destroy them, but I have seen others give them away. Good Luck and if you have any questions let me know.

Quiltfreestyle
March 30th, 2014, 03:06 AM
We have a group at our church that collects coupons, even expired coupons, for the military. They send them to the families stationed at various bases to use at the commissaries. We've gotten thank you letters back from several families, seems the military pay for the lower ranks is pretty slim & this really helps their families make ends meet.

RFREE
March 30th, 2014, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=auntiemern;499689]I think if she is selling to supplement her income for her large family there is nothing wrong with that. It isn't like she stole the stuff and is reselling.[/QUOT

I agree especially after I learned grocery stores get .08 cents more for each coupon that goes through their registers. They actually encourage patrons to use coupons. I probably won't partake in the extreme part of it as it is very time consuming and I don't have the time. I'm glad this women has found a way to supplement her income to support her kids. The news is full of people who choose to sell drugs for extra income. It is unfortunate we live in this kind of world. It is what it is. This lady is a very nice person trying to get by. I can't find fault in what she is doing.

K. McEuen
March 30th, 2014, 11:58 AM
We have a group at our church that collects coupons, even expired coupons, for the military. They send them to the families stationed at various bases to use at the commissaries. We've gotten thank you letters back from several families, seems the military pay for the lower ranks is pretty slim & this really helps their families make ends meet.

Commissaries do not let you use expired coupons. Been associated with the military more than 30 years and have never been allowed to use one yet.

Bubby
March 30th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I don't do it because we live so rural there are no good stores that allow multiple couponing. We just have Ma and Pa stores around here. I watch the TV show about the extreme couponers sometimes and wonder what they do with 300 tubes of Preparation H or something else equally odd! Our newspaper comes out once a week and it's about 6 pages thick and there are no coupons in it.

Sew Perfect
March 30th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I used to coupon and saved a lot of money as well. I never really stockpiled though. I don't do it anymore, not on food anyway, because I've pretty much stopped shopping in the middle isles at the grocery store. I like to grow my own vegetables and when I've run out of what I've frozen, I will pick up at the store. I like to shop groupon and even Amazon.

It would be nice to be a good enough couponer to save all that money if I were all that into it. Good luck to anyone that is. I like the show when I catch it too.

redcaboose1717
March 30th, 2014, 11:57 PM
I agree with you that these Xtreme Couponers have ruined the industry for most of us. The only store in my area that doubles coupons is Krogers.
I don't see how most of these extreme couponers end up with the stashes they have.....not now anyway. Like someone said you can only get a certain amount of coupons online with an IP address etc. I can only use so many toothbrushes and other things ....I have in the past donated things when my kids lived at home, but now, I just clip coupons for the 2 of us here at home ( DH & I ) . Last week, I saved $10.07 with the instore coupons when I purchased my groceries.

I agree....these greedy people have ruined it for the rest of us. I have in the past watched the Extreme Couponers Show....and have to laugh at times! Come on a High School Boy a couponer ? I loved that episode.....it was kinda funny really. ( although I didn't get why he lived with an ex-girl friends family instead of his own family that he clipped coupons for )

Quiltfreestyle
March 31st, 2014, 02:57 AM
Commissaries do not let you use expired coupons. Been associated with the military more than 30 years and have never been allowed to use one yet.
Oh, that's weird then, because the group did say they would take expired coupons,,, or maybe I missed something & got it wrong,,, that's been known to happen. :)

lawork1211
April 3rd, 2014, 09:38 PM
My friends call me The Queen of Cheap. I tell everyone I am cheap with expensive taste. My Grandpa taught me how to shop for deals when I was little. I can sniff out a clearance section in 2 seconds flat. We haven't had double coupons around here for more than 10 years. You can't "extreme" coupon without that. Also, the limit on printable coupons limits me on what I can buy, but I do have a "stash" that I share with my friends and neighbors. I also watch for clearance specials on items that can be used as gifts (mostly bought at 90% off). I have a section of the basement with shelves for my extras. I also donate to the local food bank when I get deals on items I can't use or don't like. Mostly I am very lucky. I happen to walk into stores right as the clerks are marking things 75%-90$ off and just grab what I can find. I get really great deals with coupons, not in the quantities they get on the TV shows. Just enough for me and my family/friends. That is enough for me.

IBake
April 3rd, 2014, 11:41 PM
I agree with Karen. We have been military one way or another for almost 40 years, being stationed in the states and also overseas. Have never found a commissary that allows expired coupons.

As for stockpiling. If the coupons are for name brands, you can usually find in house brands that are of the same quality for less. Unless I have had problems with certain house brands, I will use them. Most house brands are made by the same companies that make the name brands. I am not a name brand snob except for a few items....