PDA

View Full Version : Sunday and the grilling will begin

Blondie
May 29th, 2011, 09:43 AM
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq242/IVY3344/day1.jpg
Happy Sunday - skipping church this a.m. and have lots to do to get ready for the cook out. Just sent hubs out to get us some breakfast biscuits as I am not going to get my kitchen heated up this early. Already a hot day here!

Hope everyone plans to make some fun happen along with the solemnity of remembering those who gave the most for the USA. Missing my Dad this weekend.
How he loved to grill out with us.

patticakes
May 29th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Morning!
Foggy but warmer here this am. Stormy weather headed here for later in the morning but sunshine late this aftersoon. Nothing planned but think I will take something out of the freezer to grill later on.
Missing my Michigan family this weekend and wishing I could visit my Dad's grave there. I am sure those lovely ladies at the Women's Auxillary of the American Legion have placed a lovely flag honoring his service in WW II.
Off to make some coffee and watch CBS Sunday Morning. I might even make myself get some sewing done today, that always cheers me up. Hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend!

RFREE
May 29th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Good morning everyone.Quite warm here today too. I believe the weather man said 90 today!! Woo woo it was cold enough for the sweaters 2 days ago. Crazy crazy weather. I am thinking we will fill the giant pit(made one a couple years ago and cooked a 100lb pig in it for labor day)with wood we cut off that big ol oak tree and have a huge weeny roast and whatever else we can think of to cook up.(smores maybe!!) It has been a while since my family has gotten together so maybe I will call everybody up and see if they can come on out and celebrate this beautiful day with us.Kinda short notice but we will see what happens. Everyone is still snoozing this morning. We worked hard yesterday trying to get this yard cleaned up.My Hollyhocks are in full bloom and they are beautiful. I love this time of year but I could sure do without the unpredictable weather."Patti" heres hoping your storms get through without any upset so you can get on with your day.Everyone have a wonderful holiday weekend and God Bless American and all that serve to make it what it is!!!

SuzyQue
May 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Rhonda---you can come plant flowers all around my farm! So pretty! Ladies, please send some of your heat this way.....I am still chilly! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sandy Navas
May 29th, 2011, 11:11 AM
SuzyQue, I'm sure glad you are checking in - Know I have a PM from you I need to answer but I've been 'too lazy'. We're looking for a heat-up in this part of the state. Sure hope you get some of it, too. We did have a 'smidge' of rain over night . . . and that is all it was. Al said he was up in the middle of the night because the lights kept him awake. There was a large thunderstorm NW of us and he said he even went outside to make sure everything was okay. Said the sky was totally lit up like the aurora borealis.

We don't have much planned for this long weekend. Our 10YO DGD has already made a plea for Papa to have the mowers ready so she can 'earn money' this afternoon after church. I probably need to come up with something to entertain a couple others. It is so amazing what they will do for Nana and Papa but won't do at home . . . and they get allowance for doing chores.

Took a walk out to my gardens when my Sis and SIL were here on Friday and was truly amazed at the damage the storms have done. I really need to get out there and move some things so I can conquer the weed problem. Had a friend who takes the newspaper save hers for me and lugged home several sacks so I could use them as weed barriers. Went to get them and found Al had taken them to recycle!! The efficiency of men. And things he's supposed to do get left behind . . .

I finished another BOM for my quilting guild yesterday and started working on Rita's quilt. She looked at me so solemnly when I delivered Zoe's quilt and said "Nana, where's mine?" I need to make haste. Don't want to break a 4YO's heart.

Getting anxious for the Bus Trip coming up next weekend. Sure hope I get to meet a lot of friends from here.

Hugs and comfort to all. I'm sending a very special PICK-ME-UP to my dear Sweet Cherry in Napersville!!!!!

quiltingtrish
May 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Oh Rhonda - those flowers are gorgeous! I love hollyhocks and you'd think I would have some in my yard.
Got to church this morning - fighting a slight headache. Weird - usually don't get headaches, thinking it is from this humidity we have had for a few days.
Finishing up some wash and making the pickled beets and eggs before I head off to Dad's for some more weeding and grass mowing. Everything is ready for the picnic tomorrow - just need to wake up, throw the mop across the floors quick, find someplace for the stuff on the kitchen table and people can start arriving. Supposed to be HOT - good thing there is AC inside if anyone finds they need a break - which just might be ME! haha.
Well, you all have a super Sunday and give someone a HUG today.
Hugs,

toggpine
May 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Morning!
This Memorial Day weekend is a quiet one for us, Labor Day is our big party weekend. We are busy with big farm chores, but no family get-togethers, unless you count Mom coming out yesterday to watch us pitch out the big barn. She's put in her time behind the pitchfork and wheelbarrow, so she just gets to supervise from a comfy chair these days. We put some salmon steaks on the grill for a special treat, and had a great visit with her.
I have the smaller barn to clean today and more weeding to do. It always seems if there is something that needs cleaning or sprucing up around here if you look long or hard enough! I was noticing yesterday that the front of the barn had acquired a lovely coat of green around the base of the doors. Oh the thrills of living in Western Washington! Everything grows moss or algae sooner or later! A bit of white vinegar and a scrubby will take care of it and return the barn to it's proper grey and white with hunter green trim. I am thinking of making a quilt block for the outside of the barn. I have seen the ones they have on the barns in NewEngland, and think they would be a beautiful way to jazz up the outside of a rather plain building. My barn does not have near the character that the big old barns do, but a nice splash of color would be fun. Now I just have to see if I can find a pattern called "Goat Tracks" or something similar. Ooooh, maybe I'll design one just for us.
I hope that you all have a wonderful day no matter what the weather!
Cathy

patticakes
May 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Just checking in again! It is pitch dark out with a thunderstorm warning issued. The outside automatic lights have even come on, that's how dark it is. I usually don't worry much about storms but with all that has been happening in different areas of the country I am respecting Mother Nature at every moment!
I went over to the gym to keep up my commitment of 30 minutes of walking 6 days a week. Sure feel better when I get back but am putting off my shower til whatever is coming blows over. Don't want to be caught in the dark shower or middle of the storm in my birthday suit! Wouldn't that make for good news coverage??
Here comes the crazy rain and wind...better go batten down the hatches!!
@ dear Sandy and Blondie - thank you so much for the extra TLC these days. <3 to you !!

janluna
May 29th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone, The weather here is hot and muggy and the sun has disappeared behind storm clouds. Somethings coming, the dogs won't go out. They are very against getting wet, lol. Yet they will come in soaking from snow and just be happy campers! Hope everyone enjoys the holiday and sends a prayer up for all our soldiers. Where would we be without them? Love and miss you all. Jan

Monique
May 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Woohoo I survived the wedding. It was really beautiful. The rain held off. Now everyone is gone except my oldest and his wife. I still get to have them for 3 more days. I don't get to see them very much. Here is a picture of the New Mr. & Mrs. Atkinson.

SuzyQue
May 29th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for sharing that newlywed moment, Monique. Glad the rain held off for all of you. In about a month, my oldest will be doing this also. So exciting!

Mimis-quilts
May 29th, 2011, 08:29 PM
DH grilled chicken breast and brats on the grill for supper today...scrumptious as always! My daughter and her family are here this weekend...so happy to get to spend a couple of days with them! Missing my dad this Memorial Weekend...he too was a WWII vet. Have many great memories of him and mother...miss them both! Hope you all have a great weekend! Mimi Pat

mamaquilt
May 30th, 2011, 07:53 AM
DH grilled chicken breast and brats on the grill for supper today...scrumptious as always! My daughter and her family are here this weekend...so happy to get to spend a couple of days with them! Missing my dad this Memorial Weekend...he too was a WWII vet. Have many great memories of him and mother...miss them both! Hope you all have a great weekend! Mimi Pat

Lovely grandchildren!!!

quiltingtrish
May 30th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Beautiful wedding couple Monique and also the grandchildren Pat!

Hugs,