PDA

View Full Version : She's back!!!

lhayes1976
May 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Finally a chance to check in and see how things are going. I've been so busy with testing and end of school "stuff", yardwork, and most especially my new chick babies which are are not babies anymore. They are five weeks old now and we've been woriking on their new digs, which are going to be inside my fenced garden, which needs a coat of paint, so the work seems to be endless. School's out next week--so I'm hoping to catch up on all my quilting. Gotta get those wild blocks done and two more baby quilts. Glad to be back!

Susan M
May 29th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Welcome back. End of the school year is always hectic but those chicks sound cute.

debinmalaga
May 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Welcome back, Lisa!

RFREE
May 29th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Welcome back Lisa! I love baby chickens and would have chickens now but the neighborhood dogs and coyotes kept killing them so I had to get rid of all of them.I miss my chickens:(

Lola2Ace
May 30th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Lisa, were you the one that was hatching eggs in an electric skillet?? If so, are these chicks from that? I seem to remember somebody saying they were trying to hatch chicks that way, but was I imagining it? LOL LOL

patticakes
May 31st, 2011, 01:20 AM
Welcome back Lisa!! Hope you will be spending some more time with us for a few months!

lhayes1976
May 31st, 2011, 07:26 AM
Sad to say the electric skillet eggs didn't make it. I had five that were fine up until day 18--they hatch at day 21. I blame it on me--I had them in a carton up until that day, but moved them out of the carton a laid them on the skillet ( which was covered with some paper towel), but I guess the temp. was too hot and none surevived. :( The whole reason the chick hatch, was I wanted the grandkids to see it happen on Easter day. Well, when I realized they were all gone, I ran out to a feed store the night before Easter, because I did not want to dissapoint the GKs. So now I have 6 chickens, I'm keeping three and my son is taking the rest. We worked on the coop and run all last week. They are out in the run, but we will need some big strong men to get the coop from the garage to the garden. My HOA states that no "poultry" is allowed, but call me a scofflaw. The HOA says "domestic" pets common to our region are allowed. Heck, I'm from Kentucky, I bet lots of people have pet chickens.

Chicken raising is as addicting as quilting. They are so much fun to just watch and pretty soon they will be giving me my breakfast.

Lola2Ace
June 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
awww, I'm sorry the eggs didn't make it the last few days, but what an accomplishment to have kept them going as long as you did!
I've often thought raising chickens would be great and to have our own egg supply would be awesome. I have found a guy at work that sells brown eggs, and they truly are the best eggs ever. I have never seen yolks as dark yellow, almost orange, as what these eggs are. They make everything better and things rise so much more with them.