PDA

View Full Version : This is your brain on quilting...

SallyO'Sews
March 28th, 2014, 01:10 PM
More proof that quilting is good for us!

This article from CNN could just as easily been about quilting. Last year when I was under a good deal of stress, I spent many hours at my sewing machine, and it really did help me to focus on "something else." And yes, while my many errors do on occasion make me crazy, overall I would have to say that quilting helps me to stay sane. Enjoy!

This is your brain on knitting - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/25/health/brain-crafting-benefits/?iref=obinsite)

EmmaB
March 28th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I totally agree with this.

WendyI
March 28th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I agree but not when it comes to knitting! OMG it causes me so much STRESS! I LOVE doing it but only if I don't care how it turns out! LOL! But overall yes, I am SO much happier when I am "crafting"...no matter what it is. Cutting glass is the most relaxing thing I have ever done. Creating stained glass patterns also is very enjoyable. I totally can see how it is healthy to do these types of hobbies.

EmmaB
March 28th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I didn't mean the knitting either. We didn't get along. But I'm like you Wendy, any time I'm "crafting" is a good time. Makes me feel good. That is so cool that you cut glass. I don't know that it would be very relaxing for me though...I'd probably cut my finger off LOL

WendyI
March 28th, 2014, 01:54 PM
LOL! Stained glass is sooooo relaxing for me. I really should get back into it. I do cut myself but you get immune to it after a while...and no digits lost so far! Burned myself pretty bad once on the soldering iron...rested my forearm right on the sucker! THAT was not relaxing! LOL!

Marty
March 28th, 2014, 10:34 PM
I totally agree with this. I have ulcerative colitis and when I am flaring nothing helps like quilting. I am not a very experienced quilter so I need to really concentrate on what I am doing.

BellasQuilts
March 28th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Yup. That's correct.

Mpyles
March 28th, 2014, 11:24 PM
I have often said it was my therapy!!

GrammaBabs
March 29th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Knitting, crochet,quilting,sewing,cooking.. ALL have been my savior during some truly horrible times for ME at least..

I'm lucy to have had some wonderful mentors... I knit or crochet EVERY night and don't feel right if I miss out on that time!!

Love the article with Mark Fast!!