PDA

View Full Version : Worst Book Titles

Sandy Navas
March 27th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Al sent me a list of the 40 WORST book covers EVER and this is on the list:

Why, Eleanor? WHY?

EmmaB
March 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM
LOL!!! Must not have thought that one through all the way.

Pandabear
March 27th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Hahahahahahahahahaha

easyquilts
March 27th, 2014, 03:20 PM
LOL!!! Must not have thought that one through all the way.

Sure she did! Love it...

K. McEuen
March 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM
At least there wasn't a pole in the background.

GuitarGramma
March 27th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Ummm, I always that that title was VERY much on purpose!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 27th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I love that she is still stripping after all these years! She is a hoot!

Grandma G
March 27th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Al sent me a list of the 40 WORST book covers EVER and this is on the list:

Why, Eleanor? WHY?

Too funny. Sandy - I sure would like to hear about the other book titles or are they not rated PG???

dwil23
March 27th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Oh, I am sure she thought that through! She starts her classes with a feather boa around her neck. She is quite a character. It's funny to watch her first videos when she was so much more reserved and compare them to the ones she makes today. Either way, I love Eleanor - so much good information.

Simply Quilting
March 27th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Can you imagine a little, gray-haired, prim and proper, grandmotherly, lady walking into the local library asking for a book by that title? If the librarian didn't know it was a quilt book, she could have a very interesting look on her face and so would anyone else who heard the lady. I can just see it now.

snippet
March 27th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Some things evoke a picture in your mind that just won't go away. This is one of them! :icon_eek:

K. McEuen
March 27th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Some things evoke a picture in your mind that just won't go away. This is one of them! :icon_eek:

Hahaha, I can hear Al saying "I can't unsee that now!"
(which was what he said when I showed him the Dig ((dog/pig)) fabric at the retreat last fall)

Sandy Navas
March 27th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Yes, the others were . . . well, some were . . . R-rated. I did find one that I ordered from Amazon and have had shipped anonymously to my brother-in-law . . . about collecting tractors.

Vonnie
March 27th, 2014, 08:45 PM
I have been to two of Eleanor Burn's quilt retreats. She is a hoot! And a bit naughty when she starts cutting up in class. You should hear her talking about perky points! She had us laughing so hard we were crying!

goofyizzy
March 28th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Glad she has a good sense of humor. She needs it because she is otherwise difficult to listen to for very long, just my opinion.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 28th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Join her 2014 Mystery Quilt, the videos are just plain fun! And with all the silliness, she still makes some amazing quilt blocks!

rebeccas-sewing
March 28th, 2014, 06:38 AM
She has got to be one very wealthy woman!!! You may not like her voice or the way she presents herself on her videos, but I'm sure she'd just laugh at you on her way to the bank. She's a woman to be admired since she is a big part of the reason quilting has come back into vogue. I wish I had half her smarts and her business sense. As far as it being one of the worst book covers, I beg to disagree. It grabs the attention and is a play on words that fits right in with today's obsession with sex. Eleanor Burns is no fool. She knows what sells. If you watch her videos her silliness gets lots of laughs. We know that laughter is the food of life and there's lots of laughter when Eleanor Burns is present.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 28th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I didn't get on the Eleanor Burns bandwagon until last year when I attended one of her 3 day quilt events! She was so warm and inviting, and so instructive. I learned a number of great techniques from her. I love how she includes history along with quilt patterns. Yes, she is rich, having earned the richness and success she worked so hard for. And her kids are in the business with her, another good family success story! I think her vocal approach has softened over the years, and now she is just a hokey but hilarious presenter of excellent quilt advice! You couldn't help but have fun with Eleanor in the room!

And she has a way of making the complicated quilt patterns easily achieveable. I couldn't have done my triple Irish Chain without her excellent techniques!

dwil23
March 28th, 2014, 07:54 AM
I think like Rebecca says, she may be single handedly responsible for quiltmaking as we know it today. As far as I know, she was the one who developed strip piecing when everyone else was still using cardboard templates cut from cereal and diaper boxes. As Jean pointed out, she is definitely an American success story. She did all this to support her two small boys and herself after her husband left. I have watched her show on PBS for years and love to hear the history that she teaches along with the piecing techniques.

Sandy, I might just have to find a copy of that book!

Vonnie
March 28th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I have the Still Stripping book and there are lots of neat patterns in there. And they are easy to do. Well worth the price of the book especially if you were to break it down to price per pattern. Patterns these days sell usually around $7 to $12 each.

Eleanor and Jenny have a lot in common - they make the instructions easy to follow plus they do videos that are fun to watch and learn. Speaking of this, I'm off to watch Jenny's latest - it's Friday so another great video to watch.

MayinJerset
March 28th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I still love Jenny and Alex Anderson Best. Eleanor never grabbed me like Alex's Simply Quilts did and how Jenny's tutorials do nowadays. I did enjoy the presentation Eleanor had locally a few years ago but didn't become a fan of hers, feel the same way about the old Fons and Porter shows. Many years ago Alex's easy way of presenting quilting drew me right, I sort of was on my own for awhile until discovering M* and Jenny and now I'm hooked forever. Glad that there are many different quilting personalities for us to follow and learn from.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 28th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Alex Anderson was Eleanor's guest on her February Mystery Quilt video. They made a great tag team!

Vonnie
March 28th, 2014, 12:23 PM
I really enjoyed Simply Quilts too! I so looked forward to my kids being able to get to school on their own so I could watch that show. It always came on right when I needed to leave the house. Did quite a bit of taping. But then, just when my youngest got his own wheels, they took the show off HGTV! Argh! That quilt they showed in the background of the credits, all that curved piecing, it was just gorgeous. Don't think I will ever be good enough to try it though.

Daytonalady
March 28th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I am a big fan of Eleanor! Have followered her for years! My DH likes to watch her show. He likes her history intros, but also says she sounds like a kindergarten teacher, but she is easy to follow. Several years ago I went on a QID cruise. It was a great time! There was 7 days of her crazy antics and stories. We made her fish lap cover. Right now I am working on her Hole in the Wall quilt. I found it on her webinar site, which is ofcourse a crazy time. I have most of her hard cover books. My least favorite is the barn quilts. My favorite is Victory Quilts. I would surely go to see her again.
BTW: I will be seeing Jenny on April 17 right here in FL! Can't wait! She will be at 3 different shops near me. Hope she has time to see 'The Worlds Most Famous Beach' while she is here!

Rhonda D. Matzker
March 28th, 2014, 01:30 PM
that is too funny

alliek
March 28th, 2014, 09:00 PM
I think the title is terrific. I KNOW she intended it just as it seems. She drives me bonkers sometimes, but that is just me. I really admire that lady and her SKILL!