PDA

View Full Version : What did you sing to babies?

HandsomeRyan
March 27th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Just what the title says- What did you sing (songs or otherwise) to babies?

Sawyer is reaching that awkward time where he is more awake and alert during the day but he is still too little to really play with toys or play games like peek-a-boo with mom and dad. I think engaging him is very important but it can be difficult since he can't really "play". I talk to him some but he seems to like it when we sing and bounce around. I'm not exactly Josh Groban so I like to sing silly stuff. Also we don't like to limit ourselves to traditional "baby songs" because that is no fun.

We like "The Drunken Scotsman", Sea Shanty's, and making lulaby or spoken word versions of pop music.

What did you sing to babies in your life?

BobW
March 27th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Ryan,

While I cheer for the Child Catcher in Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang, I have never felt the need to torture a baby with my singing. I think you are on track with the engaging. I have read to babies before. And for the record, Mini-Cooper is a cutie.

Bubby
March 27th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I made up personal songs for my daughters that included their names several times. When they got a little older I would sing Jesus Loves Me (You), You Are My Sunshine, Billy Boy, Itsy Bitsy Spider plus everything that was happening on Sesame Street at the time.

I came from a family that loved to sing whether we could carry a tune or not. My Grandma Nan was a hoot to watch when she sang. She would get her index finger really going to help her keep time! About once a year we asked the older members of our church if they would like to sing for us and Grandma was always the first one to volunteer. I would play the mandolin and she would sing The Old Rugged Cross and there wouldn't be a dry eye in the congregation.

I encourage you and Tabitha to sing to Sawyer. Babies love to be sung to. Singing can calm them down, make them laugh and help them engage.

Divine Daisy
March 27th, 2014, 08:20 AM
I always sing Oh Oh Antonio to babies lol. My aunty Lizzie used to sing it to me and I remembered it when I had my own. I swoop them up a bit when I get to 'upppppp will go Antonio and his ice cream cart'. It make them laugh and me too lol

Oh Oh Antonio, he's gone away

Geff & Pat sing Oh! Oh! Antonio October 2013 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl_LBhhTOoM)

This one is really funny and how it was sung to me and how I sing it......I pout and sigh and wail! LOVE IT and so do the babes especially when they get old enough to copy your face. OH OH ANTONIO.mov - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il0fCMW74ZA)

Here is a sing along with the lyrics oh oh antonio singalong - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yM1M8_oADw)

Its a very very old Music Hall song.......fun though

buckeyequilter
March 27th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Puff the Magic Dragon would be a good one.
My kids always liked Itsy Bitsy Spider. I also told mine a lot of nursery rhymes.

Momofmonsters5
March 27th, 2014, 08:34 AM
I actually work for an Army daycare in the infant room, I song all day to them, I can send you a bunch of songs to your private message if you want. We even have a song to get them ready to eat. Lol or look up wee sing CDs on amazon they usually come with books with the words

Iris Girl
March 27th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I used to sing a lot of different things to my babies, from nursery rhymes to what was popular at the time to made up gibberish. Most included hand motions and touching and holding of the babies, they loved it ...but don't tell them that now... they are 26 and 30... LOL

buckeyequilter
March 27th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I used to sing a lot of different things to my babies, from nursery rhymes to what was popular at the time to made up gibberish. Most included hand motions and touching and holding of the babies, they loved it ...but don't tell them that now... they are 26 and 30... LOL

That's what I used to do...I think Itsy Bitsy Spider was their favorite....because of all the little tickling.

GrammaBabs
March 27th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Oh this is a great thread!! Like Bubby,, I used to make up songs... little lines in something that would pop into my head,,,ie..
She's my Debby Lee Johnson,, she' a root,too,too,,, and she's a rooty,too,too.. don't ask me why that made her laugh, but it was infectious...(of course it could be my habit of face animation..LOL)....
Then there was the time I used to put my 2 in the tub together (yes, there were babies.. boy and girl...:)... it was such a small bathroom, it "echoed"... so I used to sing "loudly" with an imitation of Ethel Merman... "There's NO Business, like SHOW Business"... while pouring water over their heads to wash the hair and rinse...
Now there's an insight to GrammaBabs you'll never forget... those were the good old days!!!:) B

shermur
March 27th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Ryan...babies enjoy music and it is wonderful to start them with the appreciation of the art! I always sang soothing gospel hymns or nursery songs. My "babies" (25,22 & 13) all seemed to enjoy to special favorites...His Eye his on the Sparrow and Wee Willy Winkey....

LorraineRob
March 27th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I can't remember what I used to sing to my own particularly, lots of different ones but my granddaughter loved Snow Patrol's 'Chasing Cars' and my grandson had to have 'You are my sunshine' 3 times every night.

Slokarma
March 27th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Every evening after bath time and right before bedtime, I would take my youngest son and we would slow dance (sway) to Willie Nelson's Stardust. It still brings happy tears to my eyes when I hear it.

Later on, my grandson's listened to Andre Bocelli when it was nap time and when ever they needed soothed. (Me too) and later on there were lots of Sesame street songs and such. Anything with a simple melody and was repetitious enough for them to learn to keep a beat and sing along.

and just for old time sake:

Sandy Navas
March 27th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Anything musical, nonsense, enlightening - just make funny faces (you know how to do that, right?) and Mr. Sawyer will be just fine.

I have to say that Daisy got me off on a tangent and I'm still sitting here giggling because of a sidelined you-tube of Peter Sellers singing "When I'm Cleaning Windows". Anyone know that he could play the ukulele?

GSArcher
March 27th, 2014, 10:29 AM
My girls seemed to like anything I came up with. I tended to stick with the classics ~ "Rock-a-bye- Baby", "You are my Sunshine", "Jesus Loves Me", "Row, Row, Row Your Boat", "Brahm's Lullaby" ~ when they were really little. As they grew up, I personalized things, ex one Thanksgiving my oldest wanted a Thanksgiving song before bed, I could not think of any, so I made up "Row, Row, Row Your Turkey" and it has been a hit with all of my girls.

When numbers 2, 3, and 4 came along, my older girls helped me sing to the younger one or ones (19 months between 3 & 4). It was successful enough that they still love to sit and listen to me sing. I don't think I have a fantastic voice, but they do. Also, where a parent singing in public usually embarrasses at teenager, my 13 yo just joins me. The 5 of us usually have people staring at us or laughing because we have so much fun doing it.

The good thing about them being littlewhen you start, is that you don't have to make sense. If you cannot remember all of the words, either make them up or just hum the tune. You are still engaging them and they don't know the difference.

WendyI
March 27th, 2014, 10:33 AM
I used to sing My Bonnie, You Are My Sunshine, and a bunch of childrens songs from tv shows, then later on we sang songs together that he learned at daycare like Itsy Bitsy Spider, Skina Ma Rinky Dink and Baby Beluga which was his favorite.

Ahamblin
March 27th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I would sing regular lullaby's to my kids but I also either had the radio on or a record (now CD) and would sing along with that. That is what we do with my grandson. He loves music. Sometimes soft and sometimes more upbeat like Rock & Roll or Country. There are some great CDs for kids out there including June Carter and Johnny Cash and Pete, Paul and Mommy. I also carried on conversations with them and read to them from the moment they came home from the hospital.

songbird857
March 27th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I used to make up songs for whatever we were doing at the moment (i.e. 'it's time to take a bath, it's fun to play and splash, we'll wash your toes, don't forget your nose, and then we'll take a nap (hopefully))..... you get the idea. Babies just love the sound of you and your wife's voices - it really doesn't matter what you sing :)
As a side note, I still make up songs with my 19 year old daughter - we're huge broadway fans and we both sing, so cleaning the kitchen often turns into the silliest made up broadway showtune of all time!! So, yeah, it's worth it -

MayinJerset
March 27th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Since DS#1 is 58 years old and DS#3 48 I can't remember what songs I sang to all 3 boys of my when they were infants. Probably the usual nursery rhymes and my own words to popular songs. One thing I did do was to sing softly.

As a child I loved to sing, I would sing out loud while walking along the street. In 3rd or 4th grade I was hoping to be chosen for the solo part of the song my class was performing at the next school assembly. I really wanted to impress my teacher during tryouts and really belted out the words. I was kind of surprised she didn't choose me. Later was doubly surprised when she took me aside and asked me to just mouth the words while everyone else sang. Kept that in mind when singing to my 3 sons and years later my many grandkids, didn't want to scare them.

Much to the embarrassment of my family I still softly talk/sing this little song around Halloween:

Oh, a round pumpkin grew on a green pumpkin vine, it was round, it was fat, it was yellow.
No silly Jack-o-lantern will I make said he, I'm determined to be a jolly fellow.
For the glory of the turkey is the drumstick and the Glory of the Pumpkin is the Pie!

See that didn't hurt you ears did it? LOL!

Leah53
March 27th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Doesn't matter what you sing, it could be George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone" (only song I could think of) just sing it softly and he'll love it, it's the sound of your voice that soothes a baby.

sassygranny
March 27th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called to Say I Love You." As she grew, she began singing it back to me. We would serenade each other on the morning commute to day care. I know. We're weird. Still loving each other 32 years later. :)

twnkeyes
March 27th, 2014, 11:21 AM
You Are My Sunshine, just the chorus. In fact, I sing it to my granddaughter who is 17 months and have from the beginning. My daughter just gave me a necklace with her birthstone and the words "You Are My Sunshine" on it and to my granddaughter a necklace with my birthstone and "My Only Sunshine" on it. Pretty cool.

Kateskloset
March 27th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I made them up....."Mama loves the little Katiebug, Daddy loves the little Katiebug," and I would go through all the family members names! She's 23 and cries still if I sing it to her. My other kids I would make up songs or sing to the lullaby tapes that I would play. My Grandma sang "You are my sunshine" to me as a baby and to this day I tear up when I hear it.

paandrus
March 27th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I used to lull mine to sleep with singing "LaLa", two syllables, rocking in sync, and stroking their foreheads between the eyes. Worked like a charm, they were asleep in minutes.

EmmaB
March 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I sang something I made up for dd. I called it "sleepytime". I think it came to me while she was throwing a fit and I was trying like the dickens to get her to calm down. Hadn't thought of this in quite some time...when someone would start singing itsy bitsy spider to her face would pucker up and she would start crying.

auntiemern
March 27th, 2014, 12:16 PM
What you sing isn't nearly as important as how you sing it. No matter what you sing, whether it be classical or country...sing it softly and gently to him at this age and he will be mesmerized. Later you can sing the silly songs and he will love that too. Every night when I put my DD to bed and then my GK's I sang them " I Love You, a Bushel and a Peck". We still sing songs...all the kid ones...and whatever else trips our trigger at the time. Cut loose, and do what the mood calls for. Gentle and soothing, or wild and crazy...you will know.

Pandabear
March 27th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I'm a horrible singer. That's why I cranked the tunes when my boy was little. Rocking in the rocker put him right to sleep.

I think the music I played when he was an infant is why he listens to 80s music now.

If you enjoy singing to him, make stuff up as you walk around.

"Oh look the dog got fat."
"I wonder if"
"he ate the cat."

Or I'd start singing commercial jingles.

"We are Farmers! Bum de bum bum bum bum bum!"

Quiltfreestyle
March 27th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I used to sing to my boys, I love you, a bushel & a peck or Scarlett ribbons or gospel songs.
When it was time to get up I would play "Day-O" by Harry Belafonte on the stereo. They loved calypso music.
My youngest son remembered this & had the DJ at his wedding play it when we danced. It made me cry. :)

jsmetcalf
March 27th, 2014, 12:44 PM
As a former NICU nurse, we used to rock those little tiny ones (when they were able to be out of their isolettes) and sing about anything. I routinely sang them songs about heart monitor numbers, medications that had yet to be given, IV drip rates, or feeding schedules. I also conveyed information to other nurses in the unit through a song to my little one. So what am I really saying? You can sing the phone book if you sing with love, tenderness and a sweet tone in your voice. Not one of my babies every complained about my repertoire! :)

cyndiofthevortex
March 27th, 2014, 12:45 PM
This is a nighttime lullaby we used to sing to Bethany: Day is done, gone the sun..." It was calming and restful, and even though it is always sung at a soldier's funeral it is still a beautiful song of God's protection as we sleep.

The only problem that came up because of it was during a sermon where the pastor talked of God being "light." Bethany insisted that we'd been telling her that God is "night." We had no idea for days where she got this idea. Finally, when Jonas again sang "Day is done" to her one night, at the end she said, "There! You said it! God is night!"

Do you know the last line of this first stanza?

GinnyKNC
March 27th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Ryan there are so many I probably can't remember them all. I use to sing to them all the time and the older they got we would turn on the radio and dance and sing :) Here are some...
Jesus Love Me, Row Row Row Your Boat, Alphabet Song, Baa Baa Black Sheep, B-I-N-G-O, If you're happy and you know it clap your hands, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, Twinkle Twinkle little star, One Two buckle my shoe, Pat-A-Cake, Ring around the Rosy, Mary had a little lamb and hey diddle diddle. And at this time of year 'Here comes Peter Cotton Tail' :)

HandsomeRyan
March 27th, 2014, 02:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYXItns2ik

bubba
March 27th, 2014, 02:50 PM
About the only time I'd sing was when they were screaming (this was the grandchildren, not my own as I don't recall singing to them) and it was always the same song.....Hush Little Baby (don't say a word, mama's going to buy you a mockingbird). I think the melody was soothing to them as it seemed to calm them down, or they figured out if they stopped, so would Bunga and her awful singing voice!

beesquiltin
March 27th, 2014, 03:07 PM
What a cute thread! When my babies were little, besides "Jesus Loves Me" and nursery songs, I sang "I Love You A Bushel and a Peck". I sang it to my grandaughter (now 33 years old) and she still remembers it. She saw a wall sign on Pinterest and said "Mimaw, I've just GOT to have one of these" So she got one and it sits in a prominant place in her living room. The sign reads as the first few words of the song....."Oh, I love you, a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck". She was delighted to get it. She always laughed when I sang it to her. Such fond, sweet memories!

Mchelem
March 27th, 2014, 03:13 PM
You are my sunshine.

And don't think he's too young for peek a boo. You'd be surprised how early they learn.

And if you don't have it already, get a copy of the book "Love you forever" by Robert Munsch.

easyquilts
March 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I sang Hush Little Baby, Don't You Cry" a lot, plus a couple of nursery rhymes....

Babied do respond to music, even before they are born. My sister's youngest always calmed when my BIL played the guitar, before he was born (a la Chet Atkins), and responded the same way after his birth....

Keep singing!

I love heating about our forum's very own baby.... He's so cute....

SallyO'Sews
March 27th, 2014, 03:32 PM
My DH is a gifted pianist, and we bought our piano about three weeks after our oldest was born, so DH would play for a couple of hours every night while I bathed & fed DS#1 and got him ready for bed. We sang "You are My Sunshine" and lots of old hymns to our kids. Among their favorites were "This is My Father's World" and "Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus" (that one always accompanied a bath in the kitchen sink), "Father Abraham," you get the idea . Sometimes we made up silly songs. We also threw in the occasional aria from Handel's Messiah or Mendelssohn's Elijah and some good old Irish American songs ("Who Put the Overalls in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder?") for good measure. There used to be a great series of kids songs by a company called Wee Sing; don't know whether they still exist, but my kids loved those as well. We sang in the car A LOT.

In my "professional" opinion (mother of ten and holder of a Bachelor of Music in Applied Voice and a Bachelor of Music Education in Choral Music):

Really, dear Ryan, it does not matter one whit what you sing to sweet Sawyer; he will love it because it comes from you and Tabatha. Whether the tune is recognizable to the rest of the world is completely insignificant, as is whether you sing Schubert lieder or your favorite Led Zeppelin tune. Just sing!

We have an adorable photo of my brother-in-law reading to my DS#9 (about 18 months old at the time), who is paying very close attention to his uncle describe in detail all the wonderful items in the L.L. Bean catalog.

Of course, it is going to be very important to post a video of you and Sawyer singing together! :D

bubba
March 27th, 2014, 03:41 PM
I'm a horrible singer. That's why I cranked the tunes when my boy was little. Rocking in the rocker put him right to sleep.

I think the music I played when he was an infant is why he listens to 80s music now.

I prefer the songs from the fifties and sixties, even though I really was only a baby then. Anyway, I have several cd's of them and when I had my PT Cruiser, those or the oldies channel were the only things allowed to be played. My two girls, and my oldest grandboy who we raised, bragged they were probably the only kids in Tacoma that knew all the words to those songs! They were actually complaining, but oh well!

GuitarGramma
March 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Oh Handsome Ryan, you're on my favorite subject now.

I'm in TOTAL agreement with ALL the suggestions here, and believe I've sung them all to my kiddles. But there's one BIG category that you simply must add to these other great suggestions: DISNEY!!!

Oh, the joys of The Mickey Mouse Club and The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers. I must also mention my grandson's current favorite, Never Smile At A Crocodile. When you want to tone it down, there's Mary Poppins' Feed The Birds and Stay Awake. Simply a treasure trove there.

By the way, my biggest hobby outside of quilting is Superman, in particular the Broadway play from 1966. (Full disclosure, I run the website for the show, www.SupermanBobHoliday.com (http://www.SupermanBobHoliday.com).) Naturally, I spent a lot of time singing those Broadway tunes. Today, from time to time, I realize that one or the other of my now-adult daughters is quietly singing one of those very songs. Yes, music in the young years has lasting benefits!

Simply Quilting
March 27th, 2014, 04:16 PM
It is never too early to start ready to him as well as singing. We had a couple of black and white cloth books and other cloth books that we read from as well as other books.

As far as singing, I sang to them every night usually hymns including Jesus Loves Me, Jesus Loves All the Little Children. I always ended our singing time with Amazing Grace.

snippet
March 27th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I always sang to my kids. We had a Disney For Our Children CD that I played when we were on the road to/from daycare. alan's favorite song song was on that CD - Harry Nilsson's Blanket for a Sail. I would sing that to him every night. For Grace, I sang Amazing Grace to her every night.

When they got older, we sang all the Sunday School songs, then it was church camp/youth group songs.

I'm a radio person so it's on most of the time. They grew up on old rock and roll, Beatles, and country music.

turena65
March 27th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I have sung all the same songs everyone else here has to their babies... and to the nursery babies I get to hold every night at work. A few favorites are I Am A Child of God, As I Have Loved You, Jesus Once Was A Little Child, etc. By my favorite was You Are My Sunshine... to this day when I talk to my children I call them Sunshine... and they love it ! :)

MartinaG
March 27th, 2014, 07:13 PM
My sister actually cranked up whatever she had in her CD player - Eminem, Prince, Meatball. Her daughter followed in her footsteps. Her son on the other hand loves country music.

SallyO'Sews
March 27th, 2014, 08:56 PM
This is a nighttime lullaby we used to sing to Bethany: Day is done, gone the sun..." It was calming and restful, and even though it is always sung at a soldier's funeral it is still a beautiful song of God's protection as we sleep.

The only problem that came up because of it was during a sermon where the pastor talked of God being "light." Bethany insisted that we'd been telling her that God is "night." We had no idea for days where she got this idea. Finally, when Jonas again sang "Day is done" to her one night, at the end she said, "There! You said it! God is night!"

Do you know the last line of this first stanza?

Day is done, gone the sun from the lake, from the hills, from the skies,
All is well! Safely rest; God is NIGH.

Tell your little man that "nigh" means "near." :)

IBake
March 27th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I gave birth to our oldest within a month of Stevie Wonder's daughter Aiesha being born. I use to dance around the room singing Life is Collin (instead of Aiesha). In fact, when he got married that was the song that we danced to.

We used to sing Chicago tunes to him.....funny-this young man is now a professional trumpet player. We also sang Mumpet songs to our boys. We also sang ABCs and the insi winsie spider with the hand movements.

What keeps him interested is your facial expressions and your bouncing around. We read to our boys from the get go. Craig was studying for his MBA when the little one was born and he used to rock him and read technical manuals out loud to him. I read recipes to him and sewing directions. It just the voice and the inflections...keep your hands on him and keep him entertained...and it wasn't nice to have my hubby sing..he can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Sondra
March 27th, 2014, 09:32 PM
As a musician I have to answer that any song you love and sing will become special.

My favorite to sing was "In the Deep Midwinter" which is a lovely Christmas Carol.

quiltingtrish
March 27th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I sang to all 3 of my children. Their favorites were the ones I made up. I would just grab a tune and make up the words. They especially loved it when their name or ours were used.
Please give him a smoochin' from me. Haven't held a baby in a long time.

Hugs,

K. McEuen
March 27th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I sang whatever was on the radio.

ren29
March 27th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Music always did (and still does, even at the ripe old age of 6) have a huge positive impact on our son. I start with the standards: You Are My Sunshine, If You're Happy and You Know It, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Old McDonald, etc. When I ran out of those I'd go into the patriotic set: Star Spangled Banner, America the Beautiful, Battle Hymn of the Republic, God Bless America. I'd make up songs "Owen schmowen, where are you going? Are you going to the zoo?. . . . . " Heck, sometimes I reach back to my silly youth and sing a non-shouting version of a Twisted Sister song - those 3 a.m. crying jaggs really take a toll LOL A favorite song that is still insisted upon at bedtime is "The River" by Garth Brooks. You don't have to be a great singer to belt a Garth tune and the lyrics are great.

Singing and talking to your wee one is so very important so just keep doing what you're doing. Sing anything and everything you can think of if he likes it. Keep enjoying that little guy :)

stationarymom
March 28th, 2014, 03:01 AM
i used to sing things like the alphabet,songs that i could remember from when i was a kid,nursery rhymes anything that i could think of. do you put him down on the floor with toys around him yet my son used to love the chance to stretch.do you read to him yet he should like that

carolynrae
March 28th, 2014, 04:19 AM
All the children's songs and Neil Diamond. I took both my boys (now in their 40's) with their wifes to see Neil Diamond in San Diego, summer of 2012. They both said, mom we remember you singing all these songs to us when we were little. I started reading to them when they were only 3 months old. They both still enjoy reading.

alliek
March 28th, 2014, 09:05 PM
I sang silly songs when they were babies and as toddlers when they could speak. They would sing silly songs back to me. I would tell them stories or read to them, and they would tell me stories back. That was the best. I still remember sitting on my front steps with my baby girl at maybe two or three and singing the alphabet song, twinkle twinkle, then singing like a cat or dog etc. Silly yes, she still remembers this and loves the memory. (So do I!)

Chanticlair
March 28th, 2014, 09:15 PM
My daughter in law sang the LSU fight song with both of my grandchildren. Somehow she was able to tame the intensity of a college fight song and sang it so sweetly, it worked to put them to sleep. LOL!

Cheryl

ilive2craft2
March 28th, 2014, 09:32 PM
My mom's side is very musically inclined - all could sing, some played instruments, etc - dad's side, not so much. Dad couldn't sing very well, but he really enjoyed singing the kids (and later the grand kids) to sleep. He could get the fussiest kid to settle down and go to sleep. We all joked (including Dad) that they went to sleep so they wouldn't have to hear him anymore. I can still see my Dad in his rocking chair with our son on his shoulder, singing him to sleep. Our son is now 22 and Dad has been gone for 4 yrs now. Thanks for jogging that memory!

I took after Dad - according to my mom, I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I don't care - I sing anyway, it makes me happy!

I sang anything and everything to our son, nieces and nephews and now great nieces and nephews.

Just enjoy the time and the connections and memories you are making.

BellasQuilts
March 28th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Hubby always sing sea shantys when they are little! I can hear it now. "Dress me up in me oilskins and jumpers, down by the dockside I'll be..." . When the girls were older, then it was Jimmy Hendrix songs with his electric guitar.

WendyI
March 28th, 2014, 11:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYXItns2ik

Omigosh! THANK YOU for sharing that song! I LOVED IT! I've book marked it and will listen to it again when I am feeling down. Who is it?!

Quiltfreestyle
March 29th, 2014, 02:44 AM
My mom's side is very musically inclined - all could sing, some played instruments, etc - dad's side, not so much. Dad couldn't sing very well, but he really enjoyed singing the kids (and later the grand kids) to sleep. He could get the fussiest kid to settle down and go to sleep. We all joked (including Dad) that they went to sleep so they wouldn't have to hear him anymore. I can still see my Dad in his rocking chair with our son on his shoulder, singing him to sleep. Our son is now 22 and Dad has been gone for 4 yrs now. Thanks for jogging that memory!

I took after Dad - according to my mom, I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I don't care - I sing anyway, it makes me happy!

I sang anything and everything to our son, nieces and nephews and now great nieces and nephews.

Just enjoy the time and the connections and memories you are making.
I sympathize Lisa. I sing like someone killing cats! I still sing anyway.. My priest told me "that's the voice God gave you, let Him hear it!"