PDA

View Full Version : Mudslide and the Mother who was interviewed.

Slokarma
March 26th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Did anyone else catch the ladies interview on Shepherd Smith's program earlier today? Has anyone posted this?

She is from Texas and her relatives / daughter and fiancÚ' (?) are buried in this mud. She was asked how she is
able to talk about this and how she is dealing with it and she said, she had a great community and the QUILTERS.

She said she was a pretty well known quilter, and the quilting community is wonderful and helping her thru this. I found the site where you can see her talk, "Woman comes to terms with family missing in Washington." Shepard Smith | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/shepard-smith/index.html#/v/3395666807001) Nicole Webb Rivera ( I did find some videos that she has done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi12ZBdsupo&list=PLA3A519B176725E97&index=4 )

I just was so amazed that she was making the point about the quilters and first thing I wondered is if she is a member of this forum?

bubba
March 26th, 2014, 06:25 PM
I only heard her interviewed.....she flew up to be nearby. It all so sad hearing the families talk. Believe me when I tell you that is all we are hearing on the news up here. Have not heard about the missing plane in two days now. Yesterday they announced that there was one home where a group of teenage girls had spent the night at a slumber party...they are still looking for them.

ilive2craft2
March 26th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I have not seen that interview, but I think she is the mother of a friend of Bonnie Hunter's. Bonnie had a quilt can last night and was talking about it a bit. She couldn't talk about it much, you could tell she was really upset about it. All of those poor families. All we can do is hope and pray. I feel so helpless.

Slokarma
March 26th, 2014, 06:37 PM
O my goodness. The news has been slow picking up on this....at least in my opinion.

It's just horrifying to think of the way it's wiped out a whole neighborhood and so many are still buried in the mud. That just stops me in my tracks!

SuzyQue
March 26th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I don't know how she spoke so eloquently about her parents, her daughter's finance, and especially her daughter. I cried watching her. What a wonderfully strong woman! Thank you for sharing this story. Not hearing as much as I would like about this news story, either. WOW! It gave me goose bumps as she was talking about her quilting friends. I think this is a must see recording!

bubba
March 26th, 2014, 07:18 PM
There are entire families gone, not just neighborhoods. That area will never, ever be the same. All the kids, the young parents, the grandparents......the only thing you can hope is it was quick and they were together.

Genny
March 26th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Did anyone else catch the ladies interview on Shepherd Smith's program earlier today? Has anyone posted this?

She is from Texas and her relatives / daughter and fiancÚ' (?) are buried in this mud. She was asked how she is
able to talk about this and how she is dealing with it and she said, she had a great community and the QUILTERS.

She said she was a pretty well known quilter, and the quilting community is wonderful and helping her thru this. I found the site where you can see her talk, "Woman comes to terms with family missing in Washington." Shepard Smith | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/shepard-smith/index.html#/v/3395666807001) Nicole Webb Rivera ( I did find some videos that she has done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi12ZBdsupo&list=PLA3A519B176725E97&index=4 )

I just was so amazed that she was making the point about the quilters and first thing I wondered is if she is a member of this forum?

I shed tears while watching this video. I've been watching this on TV and can't seem to take my eyes off it....it is so sad.

Mpyles
March 26th, 2014, 07:49 PM
This breaks my heart.

bkthomas
March 26th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Thank You for sharing this! How very sad......

JCY
March 26th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks for sharing this link. I had not seen this interview. It was amazing. Quilters pulling together to help each other. So sad, though. JCY

bubba
March 26th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I was just able to watch the clip from your link above. That is very moving.....I know I would not have been able to have been so composed.

In addition to all the loss, please keep the first responders in your thoughts. I know they are doing everything they can to bring everyone back to their families.

asta
March 26th, 2014, 08:50 PM
My heart goes out to all those affected, praying for all involved.

EnumclawGramma
March 26th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I posted a picture this morning in Blondie's morning post of the actual slide, taken from a local news report. It's pretty amazing and devastating.
Life. Is. Precious.

Lisapc
March 26th, 2014, 10:07 PM
This is just devastating. It certainly puts things into perspective doesn't it. This woman certainly isn't " Oh whoe is me". Prayer is all I can think of right now.

Simply Quilting
March 26th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I talked with a friend who lives close to there. She said many of the people did not have insurance on their homes because the area was considered uninsurable. And some of the lives lost were not residents but people who happen to be working in the area. For those who are working the scene like first responders, it can take a huge mental toll. A sad situation for everyone involved.

Hulamoon
March 26th, 2014, 11:39 PM
That made me cry. What a wonderful woman to hold it so together. I'm amazed at how she could do that. God bless her.

bubba
March 26th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Monkeyman told me last night that they announced the damage/loss is not going to be covered by flood insurance either because it was not a flood, but a slide....even though it was caused by a torrential downpour.

Slokarma
March 27th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Wow.

Gee, your family just slid away and were/are buried in mud and now you say there is no insurance money to help?
# kick in the gut

Blondie
March 27th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Just watched this clip. I didn't have the tv on yesterday so I missed it. Thank you. I have no words to express my horror and tremendous grief. This gal is amazing.

dwil23
March 27th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I have not seen that interview, but I think she is the mother of a friend of Bonnie Hunter's. Bonnie had a quilt can last night and was talking about it a bit. She couldn't talk about it much, you could tell she was really upset about it. All of those poor families. All we can do is hope and pray. I feel so helpless.

I was thinking the same thing. I just watched it last night. This is so hard to fathom.

dwil23
March 27th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Monkeyman told me last night that they announced the damage/loss is not going to be covered by flood insurance either because it was not a flood, but a slide....even though it was caused by a torrential downpour.

Sounds like insurance logic to me. My parents were denied a claim to replace wood flooring after a torrential downpour that backed up into the house. Why? because it was rising water, not falling water. Uh, it had to fall first. The insurance adjuster even said "if you had left a window open and it came through the window, we would cover it!".

Yes, that is insurance for you.

MRoy
March 27th, 2014, 09:53 AM
This just breaks my heart. Bonnie Hunter posted more about her feelings and how quilting is helping her cope on her blog (http://www.quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/03/when-quilting-mends-hearts.html) this morning. She added her Quilter's version of the serenity prayer at the end of the post:

"I’ve been keeping the Serenity Prayer forefront in my mind over the past few days, with a few additives, I’d like to present to you the Quilter’s Version:

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Stitch on, Quilters – Stitch on --- " excerpted from Bonnie Hunter's blog, Quiltville.blogspot.com

EnumclawGramma
March 27th, 2014, 10:17 AM
This is a link to some photos of the devastation. Some of the clearest I have seen.

At Least 14 Dead in Washington State Mudslide - In Focus - The Atlantic (http://m.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/03/at-least-14-dead-in-washington-state-mudslide/100704/)

EmmaB
March 27th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Wow. Bless her a million times over and everyone else involved in this situation. I just can't imagine.

WendyI
March 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I am horrified by this and have not even seen one bit of footage...only heard about it on the radio. I can't look at this or watch it. It breaks my heart.

Miss Sheri
March 27th, 2014, 05:21 PM
This is what my dad said about this, he lives near, but not too near there: "The bad thing about that whole mess is that real estate company that bought that land years ago and then parceled it off and sold the lots to these people,, knew that a slide like that was possible and said nothing to the new owners. In other words another example of greed that caused a catastrophe! I think they ought to be held responsible!"

grammakim04
March 27th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Sherri, your dad is correct. CNN news stated that a report was done back in 1998 stating that the land was unstable and there was and a strong indication a slide like this would happen. I wonder what happened to this report??
I just keep praying for these families, I cannot imagine waiting for news on their loved ones...so tragic.

bubba
March 27th, 2014, 05:43 PM
They have interviewed the man on the news who made that report and filed it back then. He said this would happen. It did happen in the past ten years, but not as bad as this. It amazes me that governments hire people to do these studies then don't pay attention to them.

K. McEuen
March 27th, 2014, 05:46 PM
This is what my dad said about this, he lives near, but not too near there: "The bad thing about that whole mess is that real estate company that bought that land years ago and then parceled it off and sold the lots to these people,, knew that a slide like that was possible and said nothing to the new owners. In other words another example of greed that caused a catastrophe! I think they ought to be held responsible!"

Or the city that issued building permits, or the contractor that built, etc., etc., etc.

People in California and all along the west coast have been building on unstable ground for years for the benefit of a view or some other reason. Trying to lay blame on anyone other than the person that built on a mountain-side without thinking everything through is just passing the buck.

Emotions run high in instances like this. Positive thoughts need to be shared for those affected. Trying to lay blame doesn't need to happen.

Grandma G
March 27th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Our local NBC affiliate meteorologist mentioned earlier this week that he had done some research on this area and stated that there was also a report issued in 2006 about the dangers of mudslides in the area. It just seems like human nature to let several years pass between a tragic event like this and then find that people's memories fade and possibly think it can't happen again and decide to rebuild in the area. Just ask the people that survived Hurricane Ike here in Galveston, Texas whose homes were swept out to sea. So many of those homeowners whose house lots managed to escape becoming part of Galveston Bay re-built in the same area anyway. They know full well that it can happen again but they take the chance that it won't happen to THEM again. This is where authorities should step in so history won't repeat itself.

It is a very sad and tragic situation and I pray for all those involved.