PDA

View Full Version : Over the river and thru the woods to. . .

Auntpiggylpn
March 25th, 2014, 11:27 PM
To where?? To chase our 90# Shepherd/ Akita mix BG for almost 3 miles in 26* weather. At about 6:30 this evening, I let 3 of our dogs out into our 6ft chain link fenced in yard. Our Schnoodle Louie barked at the door first and I let him in. A few minutes later, our Shepherd/Malinois Cooper was standing at the door. I let him in and called for BG. I did a quick scan of the backyard and she was NOWHERE to be seen! I ran into the backyard and it was obvious she wasn't inside the fence. I frantically called her name and then she appeared outside of the fence. She started running towards the woods when I called her name. I yelled upstairs to my other half who was in bed because works 3rd shift. She took off thru the woods with us following behind her. We were both only wearing sweatshirts and sweatpants (and me without a brassiere on!!!). Luckily our winter boots were just inside the door and we were able to slip them on but not tied as we flew outside the house to follow here. The Paw Paw River runs at the back of our property but luckily it is only 6-8 ft wide right there. BG crossed the river and went deeper into the woods. She didn't slow down for anything. We were able to keep sight of her but she was so far ahead of us. She had to cross a smaller stream and went directly towards M 40, which is a heavily traveled 2 lane highway. My other half was ahead of me and saw her run across the highway. Cars were blaring their horns and she just kept going. We could only imagine the worst. She made it across the highway and ran into a cornfield which was bordered on both sides by more woods and another stream. She just kept going. She would stop and turn around to see if we were still following her. Suddenly, we spotted a guy in the woods. He had seen BG cross the highway and us chasing her thru the cornfield. BG is very timid and skittish around strangers and we yelled to tell him that. He did a wide circle and started approaching her and BG turned and starting running towards us. She ran straight to me and I was able to get a hold of her collar. We got her leashed and met up with the guy in the woods. We couldn't stop thanking him for helping us. He loaded us all up, including the very dirty and smelly BG into his pickup truck and drove us to our house. That is when I realized that our Schnoodle, Louie had gotten back outside when we tore out of the house to get BG. The poor thing had icicles on his chin as he drools a lot due to a misaligned jaw. He had been outside for 1 1/2 hours!!! BG got a much needed bath and will now go outside on a lead until we figure out how she got out of the fence. Louie got lots of hugs and kisses and a special treat and only after everyone was safe and sound that Mom had her emotional breakdown!!!! We were so fortunate that it didn't get completely dark until after we got home. And we were so fortunate for our neighbor Joe who came to our rescue. I am mentally physically and emotionally exhausted!

K. McEuen
March 25th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Ugh, I had a dog that was an escape artist and a runner. I was chasing her in the dark one night and was clothes lined, by a clothesline in someone's back yard! No one except us had fences. I'm not sure who I was madder at that night, the dog or my hubby for stupidly opening the front door wide open when he heard a cat fight.

Glad you got everyone back home safe and sound.

Genny
March 25th, 2014, 11:54 PM
This dog looks like she can really run...and apparently she can! I'm so glad you got her home safe and sound.

Kgrammiecaz
March 26th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Oh my. I am happy to,hear you are all home and safe. Get a good sleep tonight

Mpyles
March 26th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Goodness! Gotta love our fur balls!

bubba
March 26th, 2014, 12:38 AM
We had a cairn that would run like that. I chased her one night at 11pm for an hour! I fell to the ground so he would think I was hurt and come to me, but that trick did not work....he was too interested in the squirrel he was hot on the trail of. After almost an hour of this foolishness, I told him I was done, I was going inside and if he was still around in the morning, he might get back in the house! All of a sudden, I see a blur run past me up the hill, into the gate and he was sitting on the porch waiting for me when I got there!

I'm glad you got your dog back unharmed!

SandyWhite
March 26th, 2014, 12:42 AM
Oh geez. My dobie/shep was a runner too. I also had the fortune to live with a Great Dane who learned how to unlock the gate. I'm happy it all turned out fine. They run with such joy and abandon and have no idea of the danger.

MayinJerset
March 26th, 2014, 12:43 AM
What a wild trip BG took you and DH on and thank goodness for the neighbor. Sounds as if you are near my SIL in Paw Paw,, WV they have the river going through the back of their property.

Auntpiggylpn
March 26th, 2014, 12:48 AM
What a wild trip BG took you and DH on and thank goodness for the neighbor. Sounds as if you are near my SIL in Paw Paw,, WV they have the river going through the back of their property.

We are in Paw Paw Michigan. We just moved here at the end of January and we are in a pretty rural area. I figured I could chase BG until it got too dark or she was no longer in sight. What knotted my stomach was hearing the car horns blasting and knowing she was running across the busy highway but not being able to see her.

MayinJerset
March 26th, 2014, 12:54 AM
We are in Paw Paw Michigan. We just moved here at the end of January and we are in a pretty rural area. I figured I could chase BG until it got too dark or she was no longer in sight. What knotted my stomach was hearing the car horns blasting and knowing she was running across the busy highway but not being able to see her.

OH, Wrong state, LOL! In WV they are also very rural, lots of property between the mountains. To visit them first we drive to the country, then get on a gravel road for quite a bit before coming to the entrance to their area. Neighbors are few and far between and now that they are older and SIL's SO isn't doing too well health wise they may be moving to a more populated area.

Miss Sheri
March 26th, 2014, 12:59 AM
I don't know which emotion would win over for you, relief, that BG was finally safe and sound, or MAD as a Hornet, that she led you on such a riotous run in the first place!

Hulamoon
March 26th, 2014, 03:58 AM
That was a fun story (well not for you hee hee) . My dd's dog is like that. I love and miss him but had to a babysit sit him a couple of times lately and I'm so scared of losing him. He's strong and won't listen for nothing. A poodle in the house and a greyhound out side. lol

easyquilts
March 26th, 2014, 05:20 AM
I can not imagine your panic! We had a big part shepherd many tears ago, who could .. and did....easily go over our fence.

Now that BG knows he can escape, he might do it again.... Good luck!

dwil23
March 26th, 2014, 05:39 AM
YIKES! That was terrifying, I know. It always seems to help if a stranger happens on the scene. Either the dog is scared and runs back to it's owner, or greets the stranger who can then grab their collar if they are wearing one.

We used to have a small terrier that was an escape artist. It was a game to him. He would run ahead of me, stand there bouncing back and forth from his front feet to this back feet, just waiting for me to get within arms length and off he would go again. Repeat. Over and over. I would get so mad at him - but he was so darn cute at the same time.

Glad everything ended well for you all - it could have had been a very different end to the story.

Iris Girl
March 26th, 2014, 05:44 AM
ugh how I remember those days when we had dogs . It was always 5am when you needed to go to work and the world was quiet . We would be running through the neighbor calling the dog who was bent on chasing some imaginary critter. I do not miss those days. No more dogs now we just have kitties.

rebeccas-sewing
March 26th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Our dog wasn't a runner. She was a wanderer. She'd get out once in awhile and I'd usually find her in one of the neighbors' yards smelling everything in sight. Once she crossed the main street where we enter our neighborhood. What a relief she wasn't hit. A biker was coming home from work and found her for us. I was so relieved I gave this perfect stranger a big hug. What a wild goose chase you were on. I'm so glad you got BG back safe and sound.

snippet
March 26th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Oh my! what a terrifying ordeal you went through!

My dalmatians are runners too. I learned to NOT chase after them because they think it's a game of chase.

One time I was at a local fast food drive thru and the dogs were in the back seat with the windows open just enough for their heads (or so I thought). The girl at the drive thru oh'd and ah'd at the dogs and one got so excited, he stepped on the window button, which rolled the window down. Then he jumped out! The girl felt badly, and ran out to chase him down. I parked the car, rolled up the windows more, and tried to tell her not to run after him. He ran faster and further of course. And across the highway. I was sure he was going to be hit. I heard horns. I got back in the car and drove across the highway and searched for him. Finally I found him at a Chili's restaurant with some people who were outside on a bench waiting for a table.

I learned how to keep the back windows from rolling after that.

alliek
March 26th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Good thing you are both in good physical shape. If you weren't before, you sure are now! Sounds like your dog was having a glorious time. Poor Louie, I guess he reveled in the hugs and kisses and treats though. We had a mix breed for 15 years and even with him being "altered" Gran would get out of a fenced yard (6 ft high) . He was a Bassett,maybe beagle mix and had short little legs, but he would climb the woven wood fence in the back and jump to my neighbors yard and then out. BUT he would only go to one place, a house around the corner with an old dog that he would visit. I'd always find him there. He was funny. Hope you find where BG is getting out . Love those dogs.:)

SallyO'Sews
March 26th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Oh, my, that's quite an adventure! No wonder you're exhausted. Hope everyone got a good night's sleep.

Simply Quilting
March 26th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Glad that both she and you guys are safe. I hate it when dogs take off.

Judy, USMC
March 26th, 2014, 02:32 PM
It is puzzling - trying to figure out how they get out. We had MadMax - the dog from Hades. First we thought he was getting out by climbing on the wood we had stacked next to the fence. Took the 2 of us the better part of a day to restack cords wood five feet further away from the fence. The first time he went out he was out of the fence again. The we though maybe he was opening the gate so we padlocked it shut. Off he went again. Finally we resorted to watching him from inside the house (he never tried getting out when we were in the yard with him.) Who knew an 80+ pound lab-mix could CLIMB a 5 ft fence?

I refused to keep him tied up when he was out so we found a home for him with a local plumbing supply company. He now guards their shop from inside a 10 ft fence with barbed wire on the top. Plenty of attention from all the workers there and has his own cast iron water meter that he tosses around.

Glad your guy is safe at home now!

EmmaB
March 26th, 2014, 03:27 PM
BG is beautiful! So glad you caught up with her.

Gina
March 26th, 2014, 04:40 PM
That was terrifying I know! Glad everyone is safe!

Vonnie
March 26th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Glad she is safe. 90# dog vs 6' fence - that dog jumped it. When I was a kid we had a beautiful, purebred solid snow white long haired German Shepard. She was not an albino - she had beautiful amber eyes. But once she learned how to jump, there was no stopping her. We had to chain her up. Next door neighbor had a relative with a farm that wanted a big friendly dog to protect their children from wild critters so we gave her to them.

Later on had a 70# lab/fox terrier mix that could climb and jump. He had the mind of the fox terrier and the size of the lab. Sneakiest dog we ever had.

Pandabear
March 26th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Who knew an 80+ pound lab-mix could CLIMB a 5 ft fence?

Me me me me!! Years ago our black lab would stick his paws through the chicken wire to climb over the split rail fence in the backyard. We put in an invisible fence and never had another problem.

After he passed away we adopted a lab/hound mix. Who showed us that in the front yard with no fence, he could run really fast and take the small shock. Now he's only allowed out in the backyard since he won't jump the fence.

AuntpiggyIpn I'm glad your doggie is home safe and sound.