PDA

View Full Version : Our Bird is Flying Further from the Empty Nest.....Prayers Appreciated

pcbatiks
March 25th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone, We have had an empty nest for over 2 years now. During that time our son lived about 15 to 20 minutes away. He came over last week to tell us that he & his GF found & got approved for an apartment in........Colorado..............16 to 17 hours away! They had been talking about & checking on going somewhere different for a while.........and decided they were ready for the adventure. Boy......were we surprised!

While we are happy for them......as parents we are nervous about this big move & them being far away. They will be moving this Sunday, March 30th..........so we would greatly appreciate your prayers for safe travels while they are on the road & as they start this new adventure.......and prayers for us, mom & dad who will be dealing with the long distance empty nest.

I know that many of you have already been through this so your prayers are very much appreciated! Thanks!

Kateskloset
March 25th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I will be praying, I have 3 grown children and thankfully they are all along the I-12/I-10 corridor.

jsmetcalf
March 25th, 2014, 12:54 PM
It is hard to watch your children move away, but it is also so exciting to watch them fulfill what you have prayed for all their lives...that they will stretch their wings and become independent and successful adults. That was our job as their Moms. We have 8 children and not a one of them live closer than 3 hours away. It makes for a lot of traveling to see kids and grandkids, but I am still a proud Mom when I see the lives they have made for themselves. Look at it this way...beats having them living in the basement until they're 40!!! :) I will pray for their travel safety and your peace of mind.

pcbatiks
March 25th, 2014, 12:59 PM
It is hard to watch your children move away, but it is also so exciting to watch them fulfill what you have prayed for all their lives...that they will stretch their wings and become independent and successful adults. That was our job as their Moms. We have 8 children and not a one of them live closer than 3 hours away. It makes for a lot of traveling to see kids and grandkids, but I am still a proud Mom when I see the lives they have made for themselves. Look at it this way...beats having them living in the basement until they're 40!!! :) I will pray for their travel safety and your peace of mind.

Hi Judy......when our son called & said he was coming over to tell us about something.........we were a little concerned that he wanted to move back home........talk about the opposite of moving back home! :) Thanks for the prayers.

BobW
March 25th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Now you have a reason to go to another part of Colorado and see the sights and such.

easyquilts
March 25th, 2014, 01:21 PM
You've got my prayers, too.... Luckily, my kids and grandboys all live near me... I would be devastated if anyone moved that far away....

Bubby
March 25th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I know how you feel. My DD just moved back to California from New Mexico. NM was far enough. Now she feels so much farther away. I'll pray for you and for their move.

Navy Wife
March 25th, 2014, 01:53 PM
You will get used to them being further away, but it might take a little time. Mine got married and moved, 1 to San Diego, 1 to central FL, and the other to wherever the Navy sent him! That included San Diego, Hawaii, Japan, Spain, Persian Gulf, and Washington,DC where he lives now. They have been gone for many years now, and we have one son who is now 45 minutes away. That's just about right after all these years! We have come to enjoy all the visits and enjoy when they leave!

P.S. Bubby, I love your Scotties. We had 3 over the years. Sweet, stubborn, lovable dogs!

WendyI
March 25th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I have lived away from my family for almost 30 years...it's very hard to be so far away from loved ones. Your family are in my thoughts.

Simply Quilting
March 25th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Praying for you.

Ahamblin
March 25th, 2014, 02:28 PM
It is hard when they move away. My two sons live here but my daughter moved back to Dallas 4 years ago. That is 1800 miles away. Skype will be your friend. It does help actually seeing her. Prayers.

GSArcher
March 25th, 2014, 06:08 PM
My prayers are with you. The day they all fly the nest is not a day I am looking forward to. My girls are 7, 9, 11, & 13, so I know it will be awhile. I have a feeling that they will not only end up all over the US, but I have a feeling that my oldest will end up over seas.

ilive2craft2
March 25th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Just keep reminding yourself that this means you did a good job as a mom. I know it is hard. Our only son moved this past fall 2 hours away from us to go to school. We see him about every other month or so, but he only has one more year of school - he is looking at lots of big cities for employment after that. I just encouraged him to make it somewhere warmer than IL and easy for us to come visit. Not sure he will listen, but that is ok - we will go visit anywhere he ends up.

JCY
March 25th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Hey, this will be a great opportunity to come visit our beautiful state! There is so much to see & do here. I've had an empty nest for >25 yrs. & seldom get to see any of the kids or gr. kids. They live in MD, WA, & ID. It's hard for them to get away due to jobs, etc. & my husb. is unable to travel due to health problems. If I get away, I have to make special arrangements for someone to stay with him. We have no relatives in Colo., but we so appreciate our church family & friends. JCY

SallyO'Sews
March 26th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Skype! It's free, but you have to have a computer that's equipped with a camera (if I'm not mistaken, you can get one to attach to your PC if it didn't come with one on-board). That's our main means of communicating with our DD and SIL in Korea. Once a week or so; that way you can see their new digs, and best of all, you can see their faces, and your "Mom radar" will be able to tell how they're REALLY doing.
Hang in there! Of course we will pray for all of you!

kensington
March 26th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone, We have had an empty nest for over 2 years now. During that time our son lived about 15 to 20 minutes away. He came over last week to tell us that he & his GF found & got approved for an apartment in........Colorado..............16 to 17 hours away! They had been talking about & checking on going somewhere different for a while.........and decided they were ready for the adventure. Boy......were we surprised!

While we are happy for them......as parents we are nervous about this big move & them being far away. They will be moving this Sunday, March 30th..........so we would greatly appreciate your prayers for safe travels while they are on the road & as they start this new adventure.......and prayers for us, mom & dad who will be dealing with the long distance empty nest.

I know that many of you have already been through this so your prayers are very much appreciated! Thanks!

Darlin, I said goodbye to my husband many time over his 26.5 year career in the Navy, I stood on the pier and cried as that ship went slowly out of sight. BUT... Nothing is as bad as Empty Nest. I have been a mess for some time now. I know how you feel. It was bad when each one left but I could deal with it as long as there was still one at home. Last January our last two moved out to go to college and share an apartment, just 20 minutes away... I was a mess but I could see them.

This January the youngest one moved to Florida to be a Cast member at Disney and to continue his college there. I've been a mess. We went down last week to visit and I think I cried more when I saw him than when he left. I cried all week because I knew I was going to have to say goodbye again.

The good thing is, 16 hours is a reachable distance. We drove and it's a nice trip. I hope you will take time to go when you can. And I pray they will come home for visits often. My dh is already telling our kids that the yearly "All 7 of them together" week is coming up and he wants them to come home. Hang in there. Keep the faith... I go crazy once in a while, and I suspect it helps me to cry and feel so deeply. Pray for them. Call as often as you can. God Bless.

Nidan_07
March 26th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Pam, I am yet to go through this phase in my life, so I have no words of wisdom to offer. I really hope that these youngies stay safe and well in Colorado, and all good and positive things come their way. Watch lots of "Big Bang" to keep you smiling!!

bkthomas
March 26th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Awwww.....just now saw this.....will say some special prayers!
Take care of you!

Lisapc
March 26th, 2014, 10:14 PM
This is a very difficult thing to go through. Try to remember that you raised him to fly in the right direction under his own power. You did good Mom!

pcbatiks
March 27th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Thanks everyone...........it will help to know that we are in your prayers. That is why I love this forum!

tamsterg7
March 27th, 2014, 01:51 AM
Prayers for safe travels, and I think I can relate. We have 2 children who are 12 years apart, almost like 2 'only' kids, but they adore each other. The youngest, my baby boy, will graduate high school in May and after doing the college tours he passed up UNL and Iowa State to go where?........South Dakota State! 10 hour drive, no direct flights from here and cold! Ihave sucked it up and given only positive comments, but my heart is breaking - this is my special boy, the one that came out of nowhere (well really straight from God), and I just cannot imagine our home without him here, muchless 10 hours away. I may need prayers come August!

The only bright spot is that the route to get theregoes right past where...... MS* in Hamilton MO!