PDA

View Full Version : Amish Breakfast Casserole

sally
May 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Amish Breakfast Casserole

This is a great casserole when you have a houseful overnight. You can use breakfast sausage in place of bacon. Very cheesy! For those of you who are currently on Weight Watchers it could be modified to lower the points. Turkey bacon and reduced-fat cheese. Right now, it's at 7 PointsPlus. High in protein.

Ingredients
1 pound sliced bacon, diced
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
Directions
In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain.
In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon
mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a knife
inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes
before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.

12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 273 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 153 mg cholesterol, 477 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.

quilter.martha
May 27th, 2011, 05:52 PM
This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. Wonder how the nutrition facts would change if you replaced the bacon with sausage? Any idea which has more fat content?

toggpine
May 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I imagine you could compare the labels on the breakfast meat to compare. You could also use ground turkey with sausage spices (sage, red pepper flakes, oregano, etc.) with a touch of olive oil. Some places have the lower fat sausage too.

bakermom
May 27th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I make this but bake it in loaf pans because I can't always get the center done before the edges overcook. it slices nicely for reheating, too. It's a staple at our Christmas brunch.
forgot to add- sometimes I put some chopped broccoli in too.