PDA

View Full Version : Quilt for Josephine...who's in?

BellasQuilts
March 22nd, 2014, 12:54 AM
Annika and her girls have been through hell. No other way to put it. Who is in to make a quilt for Josephine who now needs to hear some very Positive Voices in her life. If you are in, let me know. This is a most special quilt, ladies and gents. I will expect your best for this one. Who's in?

ilive2craft2
March 22nd, 2014, 12:59 AM
If it is a block or 2 like we did for Whitnee, count me in!

auntiemern
March 22nd, 2014, 01:02 AM
I'm in. Let me know what ya need :)

Miss Sheri
March 22nd, 2014, 01:06 AM
Sounds good, what exactly are you looking for?

BellasQuilts
March 22nd, 2014, 01:10 AM
Just pinged Annika for colors and ideas. You are all awesome to jump in here. My gut says this is going to be special, so I want your hearts into this. Prayers, good thoughts, etc. all must go in as you sew. It will be like Whitnee's quilt, 1-2 blocks - details to follow.

BobW
March 22nd, 2014, 01:24 AM
I'm in. Just let me know what you want.

New York Sue
March 22nd, 2014, 01:31 AM
I'd be happy to participate!

Simply Quilting
March 22nd, 2014, 01:55 AM
BellasQuilts, your inbox is full. I tried to inbox you back.

I'm in.

bkthomas
March 22nd, 2014, 02:31 AM
BellasQuilts, your inbox is full. I tried to inbox you back.

I'm in.

Same here! I'm in!

MayinJerset
March 22nd, 2014, 02:55 AM
I'm in also, awaiting details re: block, size, colors. Thanks for taking the initiative for making Josephine a quilt, only positive things can come from it.

lilmouse
March 22nd, 2014, 04:10 AM
I am in as well...thank you for thinking of this

Iris Girl
March 22nd, 2014, 04:56 AM
I'm in let me know what you need.

Swedish leo
March 22nd, 2014, 05:21 AM
Oh my!!!

I have had a rotten night, hardly any sleep at all. Felt generaly crappy.
Goes up, go for the doggy walk. comes home.
Sit down with the computer to see what happens in the forum world

Starts to crye my eyes out as soon as I se this post.

I am so touched and honored and blessed to be a part of this community with so many wonderful people that I consider my friends!
I still canīt belive this. I am still crying like a baby and smiling at the same time!

You all are so amazing! There are not words enough for me to express how I feel, the love and caring makes me feel so humble.

I belive that the impact when Josefine gets her Forum quilt will be enourmus. She has no other choise than to realise that she matters and are a beautiful smart girl that she is much loved.

O it is hard to type for all the tears!

I just love you all

Hugs Hugs Hugs

Deepley moved and touched Annika

bkthomas
March 22nd, 2014, 06:04 AM
(((((((Annika))))))))))

Klasien
March 22nd, 2014, 06:09 AM
I am in as well!!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 22nd, 2014, 06:16 AM
Sweet Annika! We are here for you and Josefine! You are so right, she needs to learn how valuable she is and if this will help, I would be honored to be a part of the project! I loved her picture that you shared with us. We are saying prayers and prayers that her spirit is healed and she can return to health and home!

Suzette
March 22nd, 2014, 06:48 AM
I am definitely in as well!!

Mpyles
March 22nd, 2014, 07:06 AM
Absolutely! Just give us some dimensions and colors!

Doloris
March 22nd, 2014, 07:40 AM
of course I'm in too

MRoy
March 22nd, 2014, 07:59 AM
I'm in! (((HUGS))) for Josefine and Annika.

Nidan_07
March 22nd, 2014, 08:27 AM
Just tell me what you want, and when you want it by, and I will be in!!

GrammaBabs
March 22nd, 2014, 08:35 AM
Me too.... I sent some embroidered bible verses for Whitnee,, or perhaps words of assurance... I missed the picture... if you start a group I will find it... I'm not good at blocks per say,, but will try... I did do the Jacobs ladder for Spring, so I'm in!!!
Annika,, you know I'm here for ya'! Cry all you need it does help, that and pray! :) We love you GF!!! hugs, Barbara

Monique
March 22nd, 2014, 08:36 AM
I will wait for more details.

Sandy Navas
March 22nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
I'm thinking that Josephine may be a bit into the Goth so something out there wild and totally teen would be much to her liking? Can that be done on an encouraging basis and not be down-heartening? Someone clue this old gal in.

New York Sue
March 22nd, 2014, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking that Josephine may be a bit into the Goth so something out there wild and totally teen would be much to her liking? Can that be done on an encouraging basis and not be down-heartening? Someone clue this old gal in.
I was thinking the very same thing, my friend... ;)

dizzyLiz
March 22nd, 2014, 10:47 AM
I'm in Megan, just tell me what you need.

Lilly
March 22nd, 2014, 10:52 AM
I'd love to be in but as a very inexperienced quilter it would have to be a very simple block. Or I could send money for the backing or sew the binding. Thank you so much for doing this, Bella's quilts. I'm sure it will touch Josephine - even if she can't verbalize it.

EmmaB
March 22nd, 2014, 11:27 AM
I'm in the same boat with Lilly but would be glad to contribute if not with fabric but with some $$ for backing, shipping and such.

P.S. But please do let me know about the block as I would like to try!!

HandsOffItsMine
March 22nd, 2014, 11:52 AM
I'm in - Agree with Sandy and Sue that we need to keep in mind that Josephine is a Goth and has a unique, artistic taste as a teenager. She's definitely an individual spirit, in a good way, who needs to be shown that she is loved by many across the world. :)

Maybe different Hearts, Peace Signs, Doves, Symbols of Love could be the theme?

Klasien
March 22nd, 2014, 12:02 PM
I'm in - Agree with Sandy and Sue that we need to keep in mind that Josephine is a Goth and has a unique, artistic taste as a teenager. She's definitely an individual spirit, in a good way, who needs to be shown that she is loved by many across the world. :)

Maybe different Hearts, Peace Signs, Doves, Symbols of Love could be the theme?

I was thinking the same thing, I have already emaild Megan some idea's........it is going to be a wonderful quilt for a wonderful young girl!!

BellasQuilts
March 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
Wow, great response for this. I am trying to clean out my box! Sorry it got full. Starting a separate group in a few minutes. Yes, it will be a unique quilt. You people are awesome!

Klasien
March 22nd, 2014, 12:14 PM
Wow, great response for this. I am trying to clean out my box! Sorry it got full. Starting a separate group in a few minutes. Yes, it will be a unique quilt. You people are awesome!

Check your email aswell please...i have sent some to the Address that is in your user notes...

EmmaB
March 22nd, 2014, 12:25 PM
Of course every "goth" teen is different but when my DD went through her goth period she seemed to like mystical fairies such as this:

I don't know what could be done with this, but thought I would mention it.

Mimis-quilts
March 22nd, 2014, 12:50 PM
I'm in.....need to know pretty soon...I start back to school 3/31...intense 5 week classes...have 12 classes to finish for my BSN. I want to help though!

MayinJerset
March 22nd, 2014, 01:18 PM
Of course every "goth" teen is different but when my DD went through her goth period she seemed to like mystical fairies such as this:

Sharron, I was thinking of something goth also but no real ideas yet.

pcbatiks
March 22nd, 2014, 01:31 PM
I'll help too. Would black & white prints with splashes of her favorites colors work in some way?

Grandma G
March 22nd, 2014, 01:33 PM
You can count me in, too. If you already have enough to make the quilt I would be happy to help out with shipping costs or anything else that you can think of.

Madeforyouinma11
March 22nd, 2014, 01:34 PM
I would love to help, but I'm not going to join the group until the details are all set. I don't want to commit to the group and not be able to make the deadline, or the block...that would be terrible. I will keep checking for more details.

BellasQuilts
March 22nd, 2014, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the input, Emma. Good info for us.
Megan

auntiemern
March 22nd, 2014, 02:16 PM
I was leaning in the same direction..goth...emo...scene... sort of things. After seeing her pic, I am leaning more "Emo". You could probably google "emo" and come up with some pretty good ideas of what she may like. Emo isn't quite as 'dark' as goth.

Suzette
March 22nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
I am so happy to be a part of this quilt and I will happily do as the group does, but might I suggest that for many teens that are goth or emo, it is a phase that they soon enough outgrow. So while it might have significance now, will it in the near or further out future? I have had a few friends over the years whose kids went through that phase and when it was over, many of them had a sort of sheepish attitude about the whole thing and seemed happy enough to have it all behind them.

I hope I am not coming across as negative, intolerant or insensitive (I'm none of those things!), but I did want to put this out there and perhaps only Annika herself has the best answer as to whether this is a good theme for her daughter or to lighten it up a bit but still have a quilt that she will love and cherish both now and in the future.

And again, I am happy and honored to be a part of this quilt and will go with whatever theme is ultimately decided upon. :icon_bigsmile:

MayinJerset
March 22nd, 2014, 03:08 PM
Good Point Suzette

Sharyn J
March 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
I would love to join as well and will wait until you have a theme. I agree with Suzette. The colors should be more uplifting, especially for one suffering. I'm not suggesting anything religious, but I like the colors in this print. Fantasy Fabric Blocks Art and Crafts (http://www.fantasyfabricblocks.com/catalog.php?item=1697&catid=95&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D95)

dizzyLiz
March 22nd, 2014, 03:30 PM
Very good point Suzette, and I agree with you. My daughter Rae went through this from age 12 - about 17. She was so very lost as a teen, couldn't find her place, had so many body image problems. This led to severe depression and borderline anorexic when she was 15. A year of intense therapy and she is ok. She is 21 now. I asked her earlier today what she thought and her thoughts were all teens like the bright neon colors, but we should stay away from the "goth" type things. We want this quilt to express our love and be something she has her entire life to enjoy. Rae felt like a few years from now this would simply remind her of this sad time in her life. Rae had a fav perfume from Bath and Body works she wore during these years.....she absolutely loved it. Now she refuses to have it. So the memories of this type thing can be strong.Rae also suggested a color theme; example her fav color or colors maybe lime green and turquoise. Or if she has a favorite thing, like flowers, or dogs etc. Whatever ya'll decide I'm in, just let me know.

Love,
Liz

Klasien
March 22nd, 2014, 03:39 PM
We have a group up now, I talked about what Suzette said on there.
So please check it out and let us know what you think!

mommadeb
March 22nd, 2014, 03:56 PM
I am totally in. Can you start a group for this and close it so Annika does not see it? It would be a surprise for her then. Just an idea.

mommadeb
March 22nd, 2014, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure who would do the assembly and quilting of this quilt, but I would LOVE to do the binding and attach it. IF whomever would consider sending it to me for binding, I would complete that and then, the end of August, I am going to Malmo, Sweden for a few days and the quilt could actually be hand delivered to her. I would be willing to do that.

Any thoughts on this?

goofyizzy
March 22nd, 2014, 04:19 PM
Count me in!

BellasQuilts
March 22nd, 2014, 04:44 PM
Excellent Point, Suzette. That is why I am waiting to hear back from Annika on the colors. We can use black and white but not make it just Goth. These quilts have a way of designing themselves, so I am anxious to see what it decides to be!

I am so happy to be a part of this quilt and I will happily do as the group does, but might I suggest that for many teens that are goth or emo, it is a phase that they soon enough outgrow. So while it might have significance now, will it in the near or further out future? I have had a few friends over the years whose kids went through that phase and when it was over, many of them had a sort of sheepish attitude about the whole thing and seemed happy enough to have it all behind them.

I hope I am not coming across as negative, intolerant or insensitive (I'm none of those things!), but I did want to put this out there and perhaps only Annika herself has the best answer as to whether this is a good theme for her daughter or to lighten it up a bit but still have a quilt that she will love and cherish both now and in the future.

And again, I am happy and honored to be a part of this quilt and will go with whatever theme is ultimately decided upon. :icon_bigsmile:

BellasQuilts
March 22nd, 2014, 04:46 PM
Klazien has graciously offered to put the entire quilt together. We just need to send blocks. Perhaps you can make the binding, once we decide on the colors, and send it to her. While you wouldn't put it on, you would certainly be contributing a great deal of time and effort to it that I am sure Klazien will greatly appreciate. Would you be willing to do that?

Megan

I'm not sure who would do the assembly and quilting of this quilt, but I would LOVE to do the binding and attach it. IF whomever would consider sending it to me for binding, I would complete that and then, the end of August, I am going to Malmo, Sweden for a few days and the quilt could actually be hand delivered to her. I would be willing to do that.

Any thoughts on this?

BellasQuilts
March 22nd, 2014, 04:48 PM
You join in when you feel comfortable, no worries, hon!

Megan

I would love to help, but I'm not going to join the group until the details are all set. I don't want to commit to the group and not be able to make the deadline, or the block...that would be terrible. I will keep checking for more details.

Slokarma
March 22nd, 2014, 05:15 PM
I would love to contribute also.

I was thinking along the lines that were mentioned....perhaps the dark clothing will pass when the dark emotions lift and perhaps her world will then be full of color. So how about a quilt with lots of beautiful color?

Renate
March 22nd, 2014, 05:26 PM
I Old Love to be in no Question Leg Me know size, Colorand Pattern and i Start imediately.

mommadeb
March 22nd, 2014, 05:28 PM
That would be fine with me. Klasien and I can work that out if she is interested in that.

Klazien has graciously offered to put the entire quilt together. We just need to send blocks. Perhaps you can make the binding, once we decide on the colors, and send it to her. While you wouldn't put it on, you would certainly be contributing a great deal of time and effort to it that I am sure Klazien will greatly appreciate. Would you be willing to do that?

Megan

Renate
March 22nd, 2014, 05:28 PM
UPS, this aweful iPad writes what it wants. I would Love to be in.

Swedish leo
March 22nd, 2014, 05:33 PM
You are so awsome!

I have never felt such love and acceptance in my life!!

Josefine is an Emo according to her self but I think that just is a fase. She does where black but just as often all other color to.

She likes bright colors that has a warm tone to it. I think it will be a god idea to have many colors and a neautral color to bind it all together. A white or black or grey or some kinde of brown ?

It is best I think that the quilt is happy and full of hope, Bright and bold and yet girly

Do I make any sence ? Hardly sleept last nigth so my brain is slow.

I love you all

Hugs

Annika

bkthomas
March 22nd, 2014, 05:39 PM
The Adorable I Spy Jar Quilt - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvqPnoiLSV0)

With so many ideas coming forth....I thought this would be an idea that could be brought together in one fun cohesive quilt......the small jars though.......(just a thought)

Mimis-quilts
March 22nd, 2014, 06:12 PM
How about this block? We could each make a block or two (depending on how many of us participate). Using white sashing and bright colors.
I agree wholeheartedly with Suzette. We need to help bring Josefine out of the dark hole, not contribute to the darkness. 71608

Sandy Navas
March 22nd, 2014, 06:21 PM
Pat had to remind us that some quilt blocks actually have P O I N T S . . . .

That is a spectacular block.

easyquilts
March 22nd, 2014, 06:28 PM
Me too.... Simple block, please!

easyquilts
March 22nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
UPS, this aweful iPad writes what it wants. I would Love to be in.

Mine does the same.... Din 'to you love it?

easyquilts
March 22nd, 2014, 06:35 PM
I'm in the same boat with Lilly but would be glad to contribute if not with fabric but with some $$ for backing, shipping and such.

P.S. But please do let me know about the block as I would like to try!!

I agree.... Simple can be very nice.....as Jenny has shown us, more than once.... A simple block would allow all skill levels to participate...and there would probably be more blocks made.

Renate
March 22nd, 2014, 06:56 PM
Who is the Leader? I think we Need a Person who tells us the size and maybe wie can make a sampler

auntiemern
March 22nd, 2014, 07:04 PM
I don't mean to sound negative or put anyone's ideas down, but I just want to add something here about this project. While I think we are all in agreement as having the quilt be full of bright, uplifting colors. I do not think a white back ground would be something a young lady would particularly care for. It is for a young woman, not a child, not a preteen or tween. Having a black or gray background would not be embracing her dark times, or moods. It is just a color that I think most teenage girls would prefer to have as a background color for a bright and cheerful quilt. I don't think a jar quilt or fairies are age appropriate for her. JS We, as a group need to think past our own likes and dislikes and not be judgemental and read more into a black background that simply what it is. The background, for the bright colors to pop out on. I don't think any of us are wanting to add to her current problems, but let's make the girl a quilt she will love, and that shows we were thinking about 'her'. Not what she may like in 10 -20 years from now. Ok, I said my piece. Now those of you who like to rip in to everything I say...have fun, ;)

HandsOffItsMine
March 22nd, 2014, 07:15 PM
Who is the Leader? I think we Need a Person who tells us the size and maybe wie can make a sampler

Renate...there already has been a Group formed

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/groups/josefine-s-quilt.html

You can join there

Klasien/Holland - has offered to piece/quilt Josefine's quilt as she's in Europe and that will save on final shipping cost.

Discussions on background colors - Black and White are pretty much decided on.

Block - Cute and Simple - Also pretty much decided on.

Doloris
March 22nd, 2014, 07:17 PM
I say Megan started this, she can take all the suggestions and make a decision. She can digest all the ideas and make a final decision.
No one need get their feelings hurt because their idea wasn't picked. Mine wasn't a big hit either.
We need to remember why we are doing this

songbird857
March 22nd, 2014, 07:51 PM
Count me in! Been wanting to do a 'group' thing, but just can't fit a block swap in where I would need to make a whole bunch right now (caring for my FIL w/Alzheimer's - I sew when I can :) )
I definitely can manage one or two special blocks - count me in! {{{Annika}}}

New York Sue
March 22nd, 2014, 08:08 PM
I LOVE, love, love this block, Pat! YOWZER!
But I think we have to be realistic about everyone's abilities. I was SO intimidated by HST's when I first started, and there is a lot going on in this block...
When I was really NEW, I took on the 'Cancer Warrior' quilt forum project for my neighbor. It was a challenge, to say the least!
I'll be very mindful of Klalsien, in the end. The burden of this project will fall on her. SQUARED off blocks are HUGE! And once a color pallet is decided, please stick to it! Just pulling out stash to contribute, isn't always helpful. Sometimes, in fact, it's very awkward.
After thought, I'm not so sure we should get so wrapped in the Emo, Goth theme, either.
Predominately black and white (universal), but with an slight infusion of color. NAME the block.
Or let's go totally 'off road', block wise. But stick to B&W as the predominant. Call me crazy. But I'd like something visually AWESOME at the end!
I just don't know..... I defer to my Captain.
But then again, who is that?

HandsOffItsMine
March 22nd, 2014, 08:13 PM
Please folks...go to the Group and join! Some things have been decided or are being discussed...

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/groups/josefine-s-quilt.html

Thank you...

BellasQuilts
March 22nd, 2014, 08:14 PM
Great input everyone! Once we are finalized with the decision on the colors then I will post all the details and instructions. I am consulting with Annika and also Klazien because she is putting the whole quilt together. Love the input and ideas, but we will consider skill levels and the colors will be what Annika says her daughter likes best. More to follow soon. Just give us a bit to pull it all together!