PDA

View Full Version : Patriotic Star Block Swap (revised)

pdjewelrylady1
May 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM
The Patriotic Star Block Swap has been revised!! :icon_cool:
The change is to allow players to create Star Blocks in her choice of pattern and size (the one we were using was confusing us!! LOL)

You may make a favorite or try something new!! :D

We will still be using only red / white / blue patriotic "novelty" themed focus fabrics. No americana or muted r/w/bs - think american flag vibrant prints. not calicos - there are pictures on the group album if you have questions - ask before you cut :)

total number of blocks will be equal to number of players (15 players = 15 blocks) sign up by joining the group above by June 5 with mailing date by July 15...... :icon_happy:

mrswindy4
May 26th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Woo hoo!! I'm in!! Thanks for revising the block swap Suzi!!

http://bestsmileys.com/usa_flags/1.gif

NM Lady
May 26th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thank you for revising the Star Block!

Loonwatcher
May 26th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Even though the pattern is our choice, do you have a finished block size in mind?

pdjewelrylady
May 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM
hi Nancy - i love 12" blocks myself - so those are always in my mind ;)

DanielaK
May 26th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I am very interested. I have never partipated in a swap before, what do I need to do?

rebeccas-sewing
May 26th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I'm in, Suzi! Thanks for posting the "patriotic star block" swap revision! This will make a beautiful quilt. It'll be so fun to make lots of stars in bright red, white and blue patriotic fabrics. Joann's has a sale on their patriotic fabrics right now! I see you didn't mention white as a background fabric so I'm assuming we can do whatever combination we want for our blocks. I think I'm going to do mine with white background and choose a star that will look good in a red and blue combination. Now to have fun deciding on a block. There are only a gazillion choices for star blocks! LOL

llm161
May 26th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Can I join in again? I have the red, white and blue . . . I can just drop the others that I bought and use them for something else. I can always get more of the above. The fabrics are still on my blog

I tried putting them here but it got way to big. I can do it with the new date and a less complicated block.

Granny Judy
May 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I gotta find out how to get into this group... I want to join in this swap, but so new here I need some guidance. Where do I go to sign up??

K. McEuen
May 26th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Judy, you can join by saying you want to here and then going to the Group and joining it. Here's the link.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=6

pdjewelrylady
May 26th, 2011, 07:23 PM
so glad to see you ladies wanting to join the fun!! YAY!! click on the "groups" tab above to get to the groups page and then to the swap - you will see a button that says join - after you have joined be sure to read the threads and respond to the discussions there.

Let us know what block you choose to create and yes! everyone is welcome to post pictures in the group album as youcomplete your blocks!! :)

pdjewelrylady
June 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Calling all Patriotic Star players - need a headcount please - can I get a hand raised to let everyone know you are "in" and working on your blocks :) thanks :)

reminder: by joining the group - you are committing to playing :)

mrswindy4
June 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
I'm in!!

http://bestsmileys.com/waving/3.gif

K. McEuen
June 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
I'm in.

And evidently "I'm in" is too short a message to post by itself.

gypsylady5
June 3rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
I'm in Suzi and ready to post my revised block. Sorry about the yellow, ladies. I'll try harder next time.

K. McEuen
June 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Don't worry about it Sharon. I liked the yellow of the star, just wasn't sure it would look good as a background.

Tammie Covey-McCutchen
June 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
:icon_wave:

Mimis-quilts
June 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
:icon_wave:I'm in...started cutting material today!

Mimis-quilts
June 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Sharon...I liked the yellow star too...what do you think ladies...one block with a yellow star...???

K. McEuen
June 4th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Go check out her new star block she posted Mimi. It's great.

gypsylady5
June 5th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I am so glad you like the revised block. Almost finished sewing them together and then to Suzi's house I go to give them to her. I am excited about this swap as I have some other patriotric blocks I did several years ago. I want to see if I can combine them into a really great lap quilt for my living room.

Okay, Suzi, what's next? I'm up for a new challenge.

:D:D:D

Mimis-quilts
June 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Go check out her new star block she posted Mimi. It's great.
Yepper... I did see it...love it too!

Sandy Navas
June 5th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I want to do another swap so bad, but I am up to my armpits in planned quilts and don't see how I could do another one right away. I'm keeping my options open for the future though!!!

Jaimee
June 5th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I have found this block /swap has been the most challenging. I have made a couple of blocks so far but none of them are exactly the same size haha. good thing each one is going to someone different right? :)

Loonwatcher
June 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I'm in! Started today and have posted 1st attempts and questions in the group string "My Block".

DanielaK
June 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I am very interested. I have never participated in a swap before, what do I need to do?
I have signed in and have begun cutting, my star block is an inspiration from a well know Moda by Designer. Matter of fact I spoke to her on Friday. Love her patterns. So Mums the word but I hope to rock your sock, fellow swapers!!!

Granny Judy
June 6th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the link, Karen.. I have to pass as this ol body isn't recovering as fast as I would like. I have the material, just not the energy to get into the sewing room. The surgery took more out of me than I planned on. Perhaps Next Round I'll be able to make & KEEP a commitmant.

llm161
June 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I have found this block /swap has been the most challenging. I have made a couple of blocks so far but none of them are exactly the same size haha. good thing each one is going to someone different right? :)

I know the feeling! Darn triangles. I STILL HATE triangles ! LOL! But, it's getting better. I have so many goofy blocks that I'll probably be able to make a twin quilt (even with only 12 players).

mrswindy4
June 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Are these blocks supposed to be pieced only or can I add a touch of applique to each block?

pdjewelrylady1
June 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM
hi mary - oh that will be fun! gooooooooo 4 it! :)

pdjewelrylady
June 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM
YAY!!! Jamiee your star blocks are here! they are FABULOUS!!!! good job :)

llm161
July 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I mailed mine on Wednesday, you should get them Monday or Tuesday.

pdjewelrylady
July 9th, 2011, 01:28 PM
YIPPPPPEEEEEEE!!!!! I love love love how these are looking ladies!! YOU are going to LOVE too! :) can't wait to get them swapped! :)

pdjewelrylady
July 15th, 2011, 10:40 AM
YAY! TODAY is the final day for mailing your Patriotic Star blocks :) Many of them are already here and they are fabulous!!! Thank you for playing ladies - i am so excited to get them swapped and back to you!! YAY again!!! :)

mrswindy4
July 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Suzi...Did you read the message from Tammie in the Group link? :(

Mimis-quilts
July 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I can't wait either! Am looking forward to putting together a quilt for my son to take with him when he is deployed.

mrswindy4
July 15th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Mimi...Thats what I'm doing with my quilt blocks after I get them put together! My son is deploying to Afghanistan late Spetember(ish) and I want him to take a piece of home with him when he goes. I'm trying to make some filler blocks so I can make 2 quilts out of the blocks and send one with his battle buddy who has become a best friend/brother not only to my soldier son, but to my younger son as well.

God Bless all our Troops!!

Mimis-quilts
July 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Mary that is awesome! My son will be in Texas for 2 months (Sept and Oct) and then I'm not sure where he is going, but I know it is not Afghanistan. Guess I should ask him if they got a definitive answer yet. You and I are going to have to stick together and get thru this...it's hard knowing he is going, but I'm so very proud of him!

mrswindy4
July 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I'm scared to death of my son going into a battle ground, but its what he's wanted to do since he was 8 years old playing with his GI Joe's. I tease him now and tell him I knew I should have bought him a doctor set for Christmas instead of the Army Jeeps and tanks...lol

Have you got your Blue Star banner yet? I have mine, but I want to make a quilted one to hang proudly in my window when Brian deploys!

I tell everyone that Brian enlisted, but I was drafted!! Sometimes it feels that way :(

We can get through this together...always helps to have others to lean on and gain support when they know what you're going through...*HUGS*

BellasQuilts
July 16th, 2011, 11:36 PM
What is a block swap? Sorry, really new to quilting.

mrswindy4
July 16th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Hi Bella...

When you join a block swap, you are committing to making quilt squares, using whatever colors, prints, size, and amount that is decided upon before the swap begins. Sometimes the number of participants is decided upon before the swap begins, so you have to hurry and sign up...other times, its for as many people that sign up. You make your blocks and mail them to the group "leader" along with a postage paid self addressed envelope and when all the blocks are received, the leader sorts them out so that every member gets one block from everyone else. I sent 11 blocks (kept one for myself) and will receive 11 different blocks back in return.

This swap was done with red/white/blue patriotic quilt squares using a star pattern. It was limited to the first 15 players but only 12 signed up.
Sometimes you're just given one or two of the options...lets say floral fabric and using only purples. You then decide what size and what pattern.

If you're interested in a swap.. up above at the top of the page, in the blue stripe, is a GROUPS link...keep an eye on it for the next swap to be posted.

Hope I explained it good enough, if not...others will chime in.

BellasQuilts
July 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Thank you for the explanation. That is very clear now.

pdjewelrylady
July 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM
YIPPPPPPPPEEEEEEE!!!!! ALL of the star blocks are here and they are getting swapped today!! love it love it love it!!! :) Great Job ladies! thank you for playing!!

*New swap Fancy Florals will be posted soon - watch for it :)