PDA

View Full Version : One last Missionary Update

Meli
March 20th, 2014, 02:19 AM
As some of you may recall, my stepson, Nate, volunteered to serve a 2 year mission for our church. He spent 9 weeks at the Missionary Training Center (MTC) learning how to preach and learning the language. There were some delays with his visa, but he eventually made it to Lima and served in several communities well south of that city. While there, he had the privilege of preaching the Gospel to countless people, all of whom were touched by his spirit, regardless of whether or not they accepted his message. Each week, he and his fellow missionaries would set goals. He and his companion were nearing the end of their week and realized they hadn't found anyone to share the gospel with. They were on their way home, and felt prompted to walk down a dead end street. At the end of the street, an extended family were outside having a party. Once Nate and his companion started talking, the patriarch of the family teared up and said they had just been discussing religion and wishing they could talk to someone who could explain the Gospel of Christ to them. Nate had numerous experiences like this and joyfully brought many individuals and families to Christ.

And now, he's home. I have missed him terribly while he was away, but I am so grateful for the opportunities he had, for the people who touched his life and whose lives he touched. Mostly, though, I am grateful for this young man who has, his entire life, been filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit and for his overwhelming desire to serve the Lord. He came home to us on the 11th.

Two friends, a cousin, another friend, and his mom waiting for him at the airport

Our first sight of him after 2 long years

Up close and personal with Elder Foote

Nate and his dad. Jim started to tell his boy something, then was overcome with emotion and started crying.

The Foote Boys, all together again. As you can see, Nate's a bit shorter than his huge brothers!

stationarymom
March 20th, 2014, 02:35 AM
what a great growing experience.

turena65
March 20th, 2014, 02:43 AM
How exciting for your family! It's so fun when they come home, they have to learn to be "normal" again ;) But it's so great that they just excude the spirit.. Welcome home Elder Foote!

toggpine
March 20th, 2014, 06:57 AM
I'm glad your son made it home safely. That has to be a great comfort to you.

easyquilts
March 20th, 2014, 07:11 AM
You must be SOOOOO happy to have your son home.. safe and sound... I'm sure he has a lot of adventures to tell about. Two years is a long time....

Meli
March 20th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Everyone said he'd be "weird" for a few weeks when he got home. But Nate is the same as he's always been, for the most part. The biggest difference I've noticed is he now gets up in the morning an hour or so earlier, makes his bed, and spends that hour reading his scriptures and writing in his journal. He also does push ups and sit ups.

When we first saw him, in his suit and tie and nametag, he was still very much "Elder Foote". We all went out to dinner and he stopped at home to change clothes first. When he arrived at the restaurant, he was definitely "Nate". And that's how he's been ever since.

Not one to let grass grow under his feet, he acquired a new phone, updated his resume, has interviewed for jobs, and yesterday volunteered at the Deseret Soap Factory to help make soap that will be put into hygiene kits and sent to people in need all over the world.

Meli
March 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Sandy, he's been telling us about the food! At one point he was given a delicacy called poshto (sp). Harvest potatoes, put them in a mesh bag, and submerge them in a fast flowing stream for a few months. Once they're well and truly mushy, cut them up and boil them until the potato starch thickens it up like a stew. Season generously with cinnamon.

He described it as smelling like the local stock yards, tasting as one might imagine the stockyards to taste, but with a hint of cinnamon.

He was ALWAYS a picky eater. His mission seems to have cured him of that.

You must be SOOOOO happy to have your son home.. safe and sound... I'm sure he has a lot of adventures to tell about. Two years is a long time....

thompsoncarol9
March 20th, 2014, 10:33 AM
how wonderful to have your son home, having had 2 sons serve missions and now waiting for the mission call for my grandson I know your feelings, isn't the gospel wonderful.

Carol336
March 20th, 2014, 10:41 AM
WOW what a wonderful young man. How proud must be of Elder Foote, and how happy to have him home at last. Welcome Home Elder Foote!!!!

Meli
March 20th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Yes, it surely is! I know I would be completely lost in my life without the blessings the Gospel brings, and without the knowlege of the Atonement.

You'll have to let me know when your grandson gets his call.

how wonderful to have your son home, having had 2 sons serve missions and now waiting for the mission call for my grandson I know your feelings, isn't the gospel wonderful.

Meli
March 20th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Important to note: I showed Nate my cave, explained about quilting. He is now thinking how to incorporate Incan symbols into a quilt.