PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm going there . . . "You can make it, give it; but don't sell it". Really?

lyric
March 19th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I've been ranting about the Versatile Wave purse awaiting supplies to make my first one [for me]. Sew, today I took it out and was fingering it longingly (can't wait to get started making it) and I noticed in small print, and at the bottom of one of the pages mind you the wording:

I can make one for myself
I can gift them
Contact them for "licensing"

One site I ran into via Google http://sewhappygeek.co.uk/index.php/2011/03/31/selling-goods-made-from-patterns-copyright-infringement/, by no means a legal eagle, but an interesting read for my purposes. Thought the dolls and guys here would know the true deal about it all.

Of course I would not want my ideas stolen, copied, or changed a tiny wee bit for another's personal purposes. For some reason I thought purchasing a pattern made some kind of difference; i.e., I did not bootleg a copy of it and then begin making and selling. First, let me say I had not intended to sell bags from the pattern, but IF I wanted to I shudder to think of the consequences had I not happenstanced upon those words in small print.

Do any of you have experience with such creative issues? Truly, there is always three sides to a story, per Uncle Carl, "my side, your side, and the right side", says he.

Cheers,

Lyric

Blondie
March 19th, 2014, 07:31 PM
We've been down this road before on the forum, Lyric. There will be as many views as there are personalities. I personally think that it would be fine to make, gift and if asked to make one for a friend to purchase, as long as you don't mass produce and claim it as your own design, all is well. The heckfire shoot is always in the detailed fine print. I tend to agree with Shakespeare.

lyric
March 19th, 2014, 07:34 PM
We've been down this road before on the forum, Lyric. .

I kinda figured the prophytes here would know. Don't want to reinvent the wheel though if there's already a thread as such. Thanks, Blondie for responding.

Cheers,

L

lyric
March 19th, 2014, 07:40 PM
We've been down this road before on the forum, Lyric. .

I kinda figured the prophytes here would know. Don't want to reinvent the wheel though if there's already a thread as such. Thanks, Blondie for responding.

GrammaKim, thanks for this The Free Motion Quilting Project: Copyright Terrorism (http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.ca/2012/03/copyright-terrorism.html). It too was an interesting read for this quilting and purse making newbie.

Cheers,

L

Auntpiggylpn
March 19th, 2014, 11:21 PM
A lot of the independent pattern designers often just want a reference to their pattern when selling an item made from it. Other times they will charge a very nominal fee $10-25, for a license to use their pattern. It's only fair; they came up with the idea and spent their time developing and designing the pattern. If you look on a Simplicity, Butterick, McCalls, Vogue, etc pattern, they have a statement that you can't make something from their pattern and sell it. I would just contact the designer of the Wave pattern and inform them of your intentions and go from there.

FYI: I once purchased some fabric online manufactured by E Studios. When I received the fabric, I was surprised to see that the selvedge edge stated "For Personal Use Only". I had purchased the fabric to make some items to sell in my Etsy Shop. I shot them an email, explained what I wanted to use the fabric for. I got a really nice email back granting me permission to use their licensed fabric for the purpose I bought it for.

lyric
March 20th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Got cha. Question answered. Thanks all. ;-)

P.S. Wasn't intending to sell just saw the message and wondered is all.

Kgrammiecaz
March 20th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I was not going to post here, but this is one of my pet peeves, so sorry I could not be quiet.

I absolutely love Leah Day's post regarding "Copyright Terrorism". She stated it all so perfectly.

For me it is simple. I make things for me and my family. Not to show not to sell. But if someone makes a crappy comment to me regarding something I am working on and should not (based on their own set of rules and opinions, no problem, it gets scraped. I will never support anyone so hung up on this subject that they would sue another person for making something. With this world of the internet, and the ease at how we can copy a pattern just by looking at it, it seems a little crazy to think you personally own something in a crafting world. Our world has become sue happy - trying to make quick bucks.

And before anyone whines about my post. This is only my opinion, my thoughts, and how I would handle a situation. I am not speaking for anyone else or suggesting anyone feel the same way I do.

I totally get there are many opinions on this subject, agree or disagree. I also totally support all to have their own opinion.

I also do not mind reading the thoughts and opinion of others. Knowing both sides gives perspective to a subject.