PDA

View Full Version : Crocheted Afghan

lyric
March 18th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Good day all,

I've got some 12" granny squares that I want to make into a coverlet for the upcoming granny. There was no rhyme or reason of the squares (see selection below).

Due to the poor photo quality I'll tell you the colors of the squares from top to bottom:

green, yellow, multi, yellow, orange, gold, yellow (with a heart in center)

yellow (with red heart), yellow or gold; can't remember, gold, multi, orange, green, yellow

The tan, brown multi one will be dead center since it's the only one with that colour scheme. Can't decide on a color for joining them all besides white. I have no imagination. That's why I am consulting pros like you dolls and guys.

Whatcha think I should use?

Thanks.

Lyric

Doloris
March 18th, 2014, 01:20 PM
hard to say from the pics, but from description I might try a variegated browns. I think white would be too bright. I think browns would go with most of the colors.

lyric
March 18th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Thanks Doloris. Guess I thought of white because I'm giving it to my newborn (well come June) granddaughter. Brown definitely goes with the center square.

brown, taupe, turquoise, light blue, and looks like a coral and one other light color toward the center. Boy do I need a different type of digicam. The one I had, though my photo skills were sub par, the camera was such the bomb diggity that it didn't matter. My photos came out stunning, grrrr.

I'm embarrassed to say I hate brown, LOL. Geez, my skin is brown. But, that's different . . . somehow.

Cheers,

Lyric

Doloris
March 18th, 2014, 01:30 PM
can you lay it out with blocks side by side how you might sew it together so we can look at them beside each other and take a pic.

lyric
March 18th, 2014, 01:38 PM
can you lay it out with blocks side by side how you might sew it together so we can look at them beside each other and take a pic.

Most def. Will probably get to doing that another day though for now I am out and about. Thanks.

mamaquilt
March 18th, 2014, 02:48 PM
A lay out of your blocks would definately help choose the right color for your sashing. Maybe also try to get a better light on your picture. Would be really bad choosing the wrong color for such hard work.

quiltsRfun
March 18th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Black is used a lot for granny squares but since it's for a newborn maybe cream. Lay the blocks out on different colors of fabric to see which one you like.

Kgrammiecaz
March 18th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I think I like the brown idea as well - p.s. it is a beautiful color. Maybe a lighter brown - you will have to audition some colors.

But, also think of a medium gray which might give a softer look. Kinda like your greens too. With multi-colors, you could choose almost any one of them. But, again, auditioning a couple next to them will help a lot.

I am a big time crocheter and have made more afghans than I can count at this point. I love your squares. I am going to look forward to seeing your beautiful finished product.

lyric
March 18th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Good ideas! You know, I need a biiig creative room for laying out of crochet work and quilt tops. :icon_rolleyes:

Sandy Navas
March 18th, 2014, 08:25 PM
\\
I'm embarrassed to say I hate brown, LOL. Geez, my skin is brown. But, that's different . . . somehow.

Cheers,

Lyric

You keep saying that, but you do forget that we don't care . . . HUGS~~

MartinaG
March 18th, 2014, 08:37 PM
You could also go with beige, tan, or taupe. I think any neutral in a warm color would work.

lyric
March 19th, 2014, 06:54 PM
You could also go with beige, tan, or taupe. I think any neutral in a warm color would work.

Cool beans. Thanks. Er ahhh, aren't they the same color?? Bwwahhh haaaa.

mommadeb
March 19th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I would use a rust, olive or dark mustard.