PDA

View Full Version : Monday - Are you wearing green?

Blondie
March 17th, 2014, 06:59 AM

Happy Monday Folksies! Happy St Patricks Day!

I reckon everyone is Irish today. When I was a child, I used to love St Patricks Day. My New York Granny always had Cornbeef and Cabbage, soda bread, cupcakes with green frosting, etc etc. What a fun way to say GOODBYE TO WINTER. eh?! Let's count this week as our last week of weather shall we?

I am going to post this in another thread but since I already have this on my mind - and you know my mind (I may forget) Where can I go look and purchase some autumn fabrics? I have a very close and dear friend who has a daughter getting married in October and wants an autumn color quilt. Think orange-y autumn.

This past weekend was pleasant enough. Work, and then yesterday once the rain started in, I decided to cut out more scraps for a bonnie hunter quilt along I am going to start. I am looking forward to have another Bonnie project in the wings. I haven't done her past few mystery quilts and would like to eventually make the Soltice one.
I may have to cut some more this morning considering that we are having school delays due to wintry mix. But for right now, I have a fresh and hot cup of delish coffee, hubs is looking like he needs another one as well. Big hugs, smiles and prayers for each here.

Monique
March 17th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Good morning and happy St. Patrick's Day to all.

Well I start my week of work, quilting and watching movies. I have my quilt all sandwiched and ready to go, templates at the ready.

We took Maizyn back home on Saturday. We had a lovely week together. Nice to have her for the week but glad she is now home.

Not much else to report so everyone have a wonderful week.

EmmaB
March 17th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Good morning Blondie! I'm sitting here with my first cup of coffee trying to think if I even have anything green to wear today. It seems my brains are not cooperating yet. Monday just came too fast. I was able to get the rest of my circles cut for my denim quilt but that was it. Was not able to celebrate quilting day very well so I will make it quilting week when dd goes back to school.

It turned cold and was rainy yesterday. Thank goodness we escaped the sleet and snow. DD fixed roast and potatoes for supper yesterday and we took it to my mom's and shared with her. I also picked up a delicious turtle pie for our dessert. It was yummy!

Time to go browse the newbie section and welcome people. I told myself I would be better about doing that. So,

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY EVERYONE!

Suzette
March 17th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Happy St. Paddy's day all! Yep, everyone is Irish today, but I'm Irish all year long and proud of it! :D My father's parents came over here from Ireland a few years before he was born and one day going to the Emerald Isle and seeing that beautiful part of the world and looking up some family is on my bucket list. :icon_happy:

Hope you all have a great Monday and St. Paddy's day!
May your blessing outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and my trouble avoid you wherever you go. http://www.hellokids.com/_uploads/_tiny_galerie/20090208/st-patrick-day-emoticon-hat-source_pe3.gif

Preeti
March 17th, 2014, 08:06 AM
The federal offices are closed. The DC offices are closed. Fairfax buses are running on Saturday schedule. I could go to work. But must I? Yes, I will wear the green sweater and matching earrings :-)

Iris Girl
March 17th, 2014, 08:22 AM

No green for me today that is seeable anyway since work dress code only allows red, black, beige, denim. Irish everyday!!! Even its only a wee bit, My Grampa was Scotch, Irish English
Have a great day all! Hugs to all that need them

EnumclawGramma
March 17th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Good Morning! No green yet, I'm still in my jammies! I'm making corned beef and cabbage today. Giving the Hubby a break on the cooking. He actually left a list taped to the coffee maker of good "go withs" for corned beef LOL! He's a kitchen control freak I think.

Yoga today! It's getting a little easier to drag myself out each time. Mostly because of how much it helps me and I can FEEL the difference in my attitude.

Raining here still. I have daffodils fully up and ready to open with the first ray of warm sunshine right out side my front door. When they open I'm calling an official end to Winter! I'll keep ya posted!

Blondie, I was in Ben Franklin's yesterday and they still had a good assortment of fall fabrics. Really, this is probably a good time to be buying fall fabric because you'll get a good sale. Ebay would also be a good place to look, if you don't mind buying that way. If you need help....like, you want me to pick some up or dig thru MY stash let me know!

Guess I'll go grab my shower before anyone else is up and competition grows! Hot water is a commodity 'round here! Especially on Monday morning!

Have a wonderful day everyone. Hug someone - even if it's random and for no reason. Prayers/Hugs from me for whoever wants/needs!

HandsOffItsMine
March 17th, 2014, 08:41 AM
My Grandson Zander who has Irish on his daddy side...

Happy St. Paddy Day to all!

Huggers from The Schmers and Stegers!

buckeyequilter
March 17th, 2014, 08:53 AM
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/graphics-holiday/st-patricks-day/rainbow-girl-clover.gif

Good morning and Happy St. Patrick's Day....

A new work week and a lot of catching up to do, since I was off for a few days last week.

This is what I have been working on. I started the quilting twice and ripped it out twice and finally it is now being quilted. This is the quilt I will be giving to my niece in memory of her mom.

So tonight I will be working on this quilt.

Well I need to get busy...have a wonderful day!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 17th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Hi everyone! Half Irish, so I am wearing green on the top half!

I have two Irish chain quilts ready to be quilted, so I am going to try to get going on at least one of them today! Have another tutorial project I'm working on. It's definitely a work in progress, not ready for primetime!

I so want corned beef and cabbage, but my daughter who likes it and would help me eat it is the one who moved to Atlanta. I love it but won't cook it just for me. I'll eat a Rueben sandwich and call it my corned beef and cabbage?

Have a great day.

Mpyles
March 17th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Morning all...Happy St Patricks day!! I spent the whole day working on a 30 x30 block for my prairie rose BOM. I had a much better result this month and took my time putting it together. But it pretty much took all day. 2 down 7 to go! The quilt will finish 100 x 100.

It's back to work today. I get 3 days off this week...but wanna get a feel for what the business level this week is before I decide to take that third day off. Last week was so incredibly crazy...my store sales were up 34%. Let's hope I can get most of that to the bottom line...but considering i have had to spend money on a freezer and a walkin cooler in the last week...we will see.

Tonight is a new club at the LQS. It's called stripe tease. It consist of a ruler and striped fabrics...I will let ya know!!

Everyone have a safe holiday and a great day!!

HandsOffItsMine
March 17th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone! Half Irish, so I am wearing green on the top half!

I have two Irish chain quilts ready to be quilted, so I am going to try to get going on at least one of them today! Have another tutorial project I'm working on. It's definitely a work in progress, not ready for primetime!

I so want corned beef and cabbage, but my daughter who likes it and would help me eat it is the one who moved to Atlanta. I love it but won't cook it just for me. I'll eat a Rueben sandwich and call it my corned beef and cabbage?

Have a great day.

No one will eat corned beef and cabbage here with me - a Rueben Sandwich from Schlotzsky's Deli tonight is about as close as I'm going to get, Jean. I'll be thinking of you when I take me first bite. :D

EnumclawGramma
March 17th, 2014, 09:36 AM
No one will eat corned beef and cabbage here with me - a Rueben Sandwich from Schlotzsky's Deli tonight is about as close as I'm going to get, Jean. I'll be thinking of you when I take me first bite. :D

I have a houseful of people who love corned beef, and if I didn't....I would take it anyway I could get it! Love corned beef! Every year I wonder why I only make it once.

MRoy
March 17th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm in red, white, and blue today...may have to add a green ribbon if I go out. The snow last night in KY went north of us...Yay!! I'm planning to finish the string-pieced outer border of my Love Shack wall hanging today. There are 30 of these 3.5" blocks needed and I have 20 made. String piecing is not a favorite of mine. I need to do some laundry before sewing.

Sandy Navas
March 17th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Wearing the GREEN here, too! Al had on a green shirt yesterday and the girls were teasing him that he'd have to wear it two days in a row. That man - gotta love him. You all know the boring saga of the quilting machine, right? Well he's taken it over and is having a blast. He informed me last night that I'd best be getting more tops pieced because he was ready to quilt another one. He's managed, through all the frustration, to be solving some problems and is 'right on top' of it . . . now if he would only remember to lower the hopping foot at the beginning of every row. But, what can I expect from someone who can't even lower a toilet seat (actually that's a joke because I've never had that problem with him . . . TMI)

Sending prayers to the family of the young woman who lost her life in front of our place on Saturday night. So sad, so sad.

Chumping away at my projects list - sometimes I fly by the seat of my pants in that department. Over the weekend Al and I took a ride to a nearby artsy town to view my nephew Kenn's photo exhibit. While there we also wandered through a delightful yarn shop and were totally blown away - such a fun boutique atmosphere. They had an antique quilt encased in it's own little gallery (beautiful - I will put pictures in my album) and then I came across these Victorian heart-shaped pin cushions . . . so my dreams all night were making one, or two or more. That may take precedent today.

Off to visit with the Wizard! Hoping the corn beef and cabbage are ample enough to go around tonight . . . YUM!

WendyI
March 17th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Morning all...no green here for me. I'm brutal on Monday mornings...it's a wonder I can even make it to work in one piece! But happy St. Paddy's day to you all anyway! A few students here got caught with over four thousand cans of beer they were going to try and sell tonight at a huge St. Patrick's Day party that the university students put on. Of course these particular students had no liquor license which you require in Canada if you want to sell alcohol of any kind. What I can't figure is how they collected THAT much beer! I mean there IS a limit on how much you can buy! Crazy kids. There are two universities in our small city of 250K so you can imagine the parties that will happen!

Monday's are meeting days for me...meeting from 9:30 until 3:30. uhg. Hope you all have a better day than I will! xox

EmmaB
March 17th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Wow, that's a lot of beer!

LynneLeavell
March 17th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Good morning all. Blondie I have seen the Soltice Quilt finished by Bonnie Hunter and it is gorgeous. I have printed out all the instructions to do one myself, just got to convinced the hubs to let me go buy the fabric to do it with. If I am not mistaking I think I have a quilt not far from my house that has the kit for this quilt in the color waves that Bonnie uses, and it is also a new Quilt store that I have not gone and check out yet. I have been wanting to go check it out but every time I think I have a Saturday to do it something comes up. So I am about to just forget my schedule and go check it out.

We have rain again today, had it yesterday as well. I wish I was at home instead of at work, but oh well. Everyone stay dry and warm. Praying for those who need and for those who don't.

auntiemern
March 17th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Ah yes. The wearin' o the green today. Definitely. Corned beef and cabbage is on the menu. Didn't feel great over the weekend. Not sure if it is the weather or what. I know breathing cold air is hard on my lungs, so I try not to do that. The skate rink was cold yesterday (youngest GD's b'day party), and was not feeling well by the time we left there. Took the family out to dinner last night, and by the time we got home at 9:00, I went to bed. Not like me at all. Think I am gonna take it easy today, while DH replaces the water heater. May do some hand quilting. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 17th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Blondie how about this collection?

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/16449/windham-fabrics/mary-koval/lydia-layer-cake

Miss Sheri
March 17th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Top 'O the Mornin to ya, . . . and the rest of the day as well!
I love St. Patrick's Day, I always have. I have bits of Irish from both parents, and I married a McCleery! My anniversary was yesterday, so my first morning as a newly wed bride, I was Pinched! haha, now I have a green robe, so I can wear green even when I'm in my jammies. Time to head to work, Blessings all around.

Miss Sheri

PS... Blondie, I think the 'Rustling Leaves' line would be perfect for your project if you can find it.

sassygranny
March 17th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I am wearing green...but only because my hubby remembered the date. And only because he donated a green dress shirt to the cause. I have no green. Funny...it's a color I have used a lot in my quilts. But, definitely not in my wardrobe. :)

MayinJerset
March 17th, 2014, 12:22 PM

No green on yet but I'm still in my pj's. Had a busy week and weekend, first trip to Lancaster PA for quilt show and stuff, then some family over for weekend and DH's 80th Bday party yesterday have me dragging this morning so I'm slow to get dressed and get going. Hero sandwiches went over big for the Bday party and most of the Bday cake, impossible coconut custard pie and Irish soda bread are gone so I think we'll have hot corned beef sandwiches for dinner. DH is half Irish and while he likes corned beef he doesn't care for the cabbage . So hot corned beef sandwich on good rye bread is it plus leftover green salad from the party.

Hope to catch up with stuff in the house and with quilting this week as only thing on my calendar is lunch with my Granny cousins on Friday, we're taking Ann out to lunch as she has recovered pretty well from her heart attack.

Don't know if I mentioned it in another posting but Lancaster wasn't as crowded as in past years, shops had people in them but not so crowded. I didn't have much on my list for quilting stuff so I was quick in and out of the shops. Friends who went to the show said is was OK, nothing special. Did enjoy hanging with everyone at dinner and later in our rooms and although we were only 12 for Show and Tell we had plenty to see.

Now back to finishing my quilt for my guild's show and also putting some borders on a little quilt to be raffled off during the show. Thought that was all I would do for the show but my Project Pillowcase co-chair has been working on something with quilt show chairs to help us raise some money for our project during the show. She's schedule to get back to me sometime this afternoon and I'll find out what she as committed us and the Pillowcase Team to do. Gads, it's 11:30! so I better get a move on.

bubba
March 17th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Of course I am wearing green!!!! It is my day afterall!

Simply Quilting
March 17th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Good Morning!!! We have sunshine today. The children are all decked out in green. I went with hubby to his doctor visit then we took the dog to the vet for her rabies shot. Today is the one year anniversary of us adopting her from the shelter. So we will probably make a cake to celebrate and give her a special dog treat today.

I did get some sewing done over the weekend. Sometime today, I want to work on sewing some more of the Irish Chain 9 patches.

Have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day everyone. :)

dwil23
March 17th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Good Morning!

I wasn't. Now I am wearing my pajamas and they aren't green either. I messed up and wore my green shirt on Saturday, so didn't have a clean one for last night, or tonight either. Washer is on the fritz, so I can't even wash it. Strange, green is my favorite color and I only have 1 green shirt. And I didn't even get to the store to buy corned beef. Not doing this very good this year. All four of my grandparents had Irish in them.

I will not forget St Patty's Day, 1996. It was a Sunday and after church we came to Mom's house for what I knew would be a corned beef and cabbage dinner. I was surprised to see that instead she had fixed her signature SUnday Dinner - roast beef, mashed potatoes and Yorkshire pudding - English, not Irish. She mused that "my Dad would roll over in his grave if he knew I didn't cook a corned beef today, but I just felt like I should make this instead." What none of us knew at the time, it would be the very last meal she ever cooked for all of us, as she became very ill the next week and never recovered. So, St Patty's Day makes me think of my Mom and all the wonderful meals she made for us.

Blondie, the Posh Pumpkins line from last year was very pretty, too.

Have a Blessed St Patty's Day everyone. I am sitting here listening to the thunder roll in from the gulf - 90% chance of rain and wind today.

Blondie
March 17th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks Ladies, I will be checking out those collections. I do remember the rustling leaves line. My friend directed me to some pinterest posts and all I could think of was too monochromatic and boring. You can see why see needs exciting, never boring me. LOL. She said if they made camo fabric in orange, she knew her DD would love it. I've seen camo in pink, gonna check out orange.
I keep telling her that autumn is much more color than orange! Oy. I've spent hours already looking at various sites and it is giving me a headache. The quilt design at this point will be a simple signature block, since she wants everyone to sign the quilt. It will be darling when it is done and I have to say that she is absolutely correct concerning her daughter and camo. Her place is camo, deer wall hangings, and cows. So, it makes perfect sense to me that Jessica would like orange camo.

dwil23
March 17th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Blondie,

why not a scrappy orange quilt ala Bonnie Hunter? I bet that there are some of us on her that would even contribute to your orange string collection.

Her Celtic Solstice is on my list, too.

Claire Hallman
March 17th, 2014, 02:12 PM
There is a line called Foliage, a layer cake from the DD a while back, that I am using to make an anvil block quilt for Fall for my bed. It will take me that long to get all those blocks done for a king bed.:icon_heh: I also added some autumn color scraps I had to make enough blocks.

GinnyKNC
March 17th, 2014, 02:24 PM
LOL I'm wearing my green Irish eyes :) When Irish eyes are smiling...
My DH helped with the house work Saturday so I was able to sew both Saturday evening and Sunday :icon_woohoo:
Now tonight to make some binding and bind two baby quilts.
It's sleeting here in NC! With the flowers and trees blooming I hope it doesn't kill everything off :( This crazy weather this year.
Hugs to all and prayers to those in need. Happy Quilting

BobW
March 17th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Yes, I do have a green shirt on.

aliaslaceygreen
March 17th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Good bye to winter my foot. It's icy and nasty outside!! And I don't HAVE to wear green---look at all three of my names!! LOL But I do have a green sweater on!
Laylabug was sent with nary a bit o'green, so I put this scarf on her this morning. She left it on for over an hour.... I HOPE you can all view this video! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203914107197020&l=2472205318990506794
You shouldn't need to have a FB acct to see it....

Well, it should be the last snow of the season, if only because the season CHANGES by the end of the week.... I've never been so ready for spring!!!

I started a Log Cabin on National Quilting Day...I have never made a LC quilt before!!!

I hope everyone is doing well....take care!!!((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) ))

Hulamoon
March 17th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I woke up in green if that counts :) This is pretty https://www.etsy.com/listing/151415129/fall-tapestry-from-fabri-quilt-1-yard?ref=market

Here is the whole line http://www.fabri-quilt.com/products/prints.asp?categoryID=466#categorysearch

Sharyn J
March 17th, 2014, 07:09 PM
May your glass be ever full.
May the roof over your head be always strong.
And may you be in heaven
half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Always remember to forget
The things that made you sad.
But never forget to remember
The things that made you glad.

Always remember to forget
The friends that proved untrue.
But never forget to remember
Those that have stuck by you.

Happy St. Patty's Day

quiltingtrish
March 17th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Heard from Katie. She texted me at lunch and wanted to talk tonight. Then I found out she didn't make the 20K to the end. She evidently posted on FB that she disappointed herself. I texted her that we were proud of her no matter what. Not everyone would have volunteered for the training she put herself through for the past month and a half. She won't have to redo anything, but will get credit for what she already did and move on to her next school. At least that's what we think, the last text said she would call on the weekend so we didn't get to actually talk about it yet.
Tomorrow is my dad's 88th birthday so if the weather holds and plays NICE (hear THAT, old man winter?), I will drive down after I get out of school. It will be a long day since it is one of my 'don't get off until 6 PM nights'. No big party but it's always nice when we can be there for him. Last year on his birthday we had a bad snowstorm with blinding conditions. That's the day DS#1 got hit by a tractor trailer. Will never forget that phone call.
Well, need to settle in for the night. The Mike and Molly and Mom shows are coming on and that's 2 of the 3 shows I watch all week.
Hugs and stay safe out there.

Ginny B
March 17th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I am always Irish --- well, half anyway. The other half of me is German. Yes, I wore green today. Made shepherd's pie for dinner and actually had some beer too. Made a couple of loaves of Irish Soda Bread yesterday - one for home and one for work.

It was so cold here today. Now, we have certainly had colder temps but for some reason, the air was just bone chilling to me today. I just couldn't get warm. So I am snuggled on the couch now with a blankie keeping me warm.

I got an interesting e-mail today. I have a craft booth up in CT and I received an invitation to do a craft fair/fundraiser for a ballet company up there in May. We were going to go up there one weekend to our favorite B & B for our anniversary which is at the end of April so I just might do it. Now, to get my stock increased between now and then.

Ok, off to make something warm to drink and get ready to watch Castle. Have a great night everyone.