PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sales

Pandabear
March 13th, 2014, 02:27 PM
This might seem an odd question but how do Estate Sales work? Are they auctions? Garage sales only more expensive? A friend of mine wants to try and find one in our area to look for antiques. But neither of us have ever gone to one.

toggpine
March 13th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Estate sales usually occur when someone has died and the surviving family is selling off the items from the home. Sometimes they are more expensive, and other times you can get great bargains.
Some are run by the family and are more like garage sales that run through the entire house. Other times they are staged by companies that handle all of the set up and running of the sale for the family. I haven't been to one of those, but Sandy worked for a company that did this so, she might have some insight there.

My guess is an estate sale that is run by a company will have higher prices, since they know the market value of the items better than an Average Joe trying to clear out the house.
I have been to a couple and found some good things. Be prepared to leave you name & number with the seller. If there is something you want and today's price is too much, they might be willing to work with you if it is still there on the last day. In the case of fabric, you may have to take ALL of it and sort out what you want.

bubba
March 13th, 2014, 03:13 PM
That description was pretty exact. The last one we went to was on the last day (because I did not know about it before that!) and everything was 50% off whatever was marked. I have a weakness for crystal and got some lovely pieces.

BobW
March 13th, 2014, 03:15 PM
In our area they have several types of Estate Sales.

One is a tag sale. This type of sale all items are tagged with a price before the sale is started and often the sellers will negotiate on the prices. If the sale goes for several days, the prices are usually discounted more the last day of the sale to be rid of the items.

The other is an auction. Where an auctioneer arranges the items and calls out amounts for those present to bid on. Sometimes you will find great bargains. I have also been to sales where the bidders let their emotions get the best of them and pay more for something than they could buy it new for.

In both cases I find it very important to establish a price I'm willing to pay and not go over that amount.

Hope this helps.

MayinJerset
March 13th, 2014, 03:17 PM
The family run ones usually have the best prices and as noted above the last day items are greatly reduced. Sometimes you can get some great fabrics or quilts but other times I've seen the quilts priced way too high. Just have fun and check some out, you never know what you will find.

Sandy Navas
March 13th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Cathy is correct. I worked with a local company that does estate sales - some were held for people who were moving and downsizing, others if there had been a death in the family, someone moving to a retirement facility, etc. The lady who owns the company I worked with is a Certified Appraiser - and we did everything from start to finish - go in, organize, clean, polish, stage, and price. Sales are usually held three days here - the first day all is full price, the second everything is discounted 50%, the third day everything was 25% of the original full price. After that things that were left were donated to a charity. They are fun to participate in from the ground up, but I backed off because my back and eyesight were causing me problems.

You are never under any obligation to purchase anything, so find one in the area and go bravely in and explore. It's amazing the things you find . . .

Doloris
March 13th, 2014, 07:24 PM
- the first day all is full price, the second everything is discounted 50%, the third day everything was 25% of the original full price. . . .

HUH??????
it went from full price, to 50 % off , and then back up to 25% off

K. McEuen
March 13th, 2014, 07:28 PM
HUH??????
it went from full price, to 50 % off , and then back up to 25% off

Third day is 25% OF the original price, not off the original ...

Doloris
March 13th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Third day is 25% OF the original price, not off the original ...

yea, so day 1 it is $1. Day 2 it is .50 cents, and day 3 it is .75 cents???????.. OOOOHHHHH I just got it. 25% of the price or 75% off. Got it!!!

Sandy Navas
March 13th, 2014, 11:22 PM
yea, so day 1 it is $1. Day 2 it is .50 cents, and day 3 it is .75 cents???????.. OOOOHHHHH I just got it. 25% of the price or 75% off. Got it!!!

It's okay, Doloris - we all have those days . . .