PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Conference

MayinJerset
March 11th, 2014, 04:08 PM
As I mentioned in earlier posts I was asked to speak at the Kitty Genovese Memorial Conference 50 Years Later as I knew Kitty. When we were kids we lived a block away from each other in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn. We went to different grammar schools but when we were about 8 or 9 we had a friend in common and played together once in awhile. When the friend moved away Kitty and I sort of lost contact. Back in those days we really kept to our own block so that wasn't surprising. Also like me she was the oldest in her family and play time was limited as we always had chores to do or had to watch our brothers and sisters. We met up again later as seniors in high school. Everyone got a kick from the story of Kitty, a few others and myself cutting school to go to the NY Paramount to see a first run movie and a stage show. While we were climbing the Times Square subway stairs to the street Kitty ran ahead of us and threw open her arms and sang out "New York, New York, What a Wonderful Town!". They laughed at how we hid our books and lunches under our coats so the truant office notice us. Kitty was a lively warm person and I'm glad I could speak a few words to show her as one.

Pictured with me is Peggy Cahill on the right, she was also a high school classmate of Kitty's, and in the center in Catherine Pelonero, the author Peggy and I shared our memories of Kitty with. Catherine's book, "Kitty Genovese: A True Account of a Public Murder and its Private Consequences" has recently been published and has been getting quite a bit of attention in the newspapers and with TV interviews. During the conference session Catherine acknowledged both Peggy's and my contributions as they helped her paint a fuller picture of Kitty.

Peggy was a hoot, and seemed to remember our high school days a bit different than I did. I didn't remember her so well but then again there were 600 girls in our graduating class. During the last year of school I was a work/study student, went to school one week with double up classes and the next week I went to work at a big Wall Street Law firm. Loved the work week but didn't care for the school week because I didn't have classes with my old friends, just the girls in the program and many were only there because their parents wouldn't let them quit school at 16. Anyway I enjoyed being part of the conference and as a former college secretary was happy to be a guest at the conference instead of the one who did all the arranging. My DH, DS#1 and DS#3 attended with me and enjoyed themselves as afterwards everyone stood around and chatted with each other. The Fordham professor who held the conference knows one of the psychology professors I used to be secretary for. Small world.

I skipped the Saturday conference with authors, psychologists, police, DA's, Guardian Angels and more as I know how long winded academics can be. I attended the less formal session on Sunday and was happy to meet Catherine in person as we've been communicating by email and phone over the past year. I was so touched as she closed her book with me remembering Kitty.

Sheena
March 11th, 2014, 04:23 PM
It's so nice that you have memories and a story to tell about somebody who met with a sad end. I've not read all the story yet but will do so. I was 4 at the time and live in England so the story didn't touch us personally.

Similar stories have touched me and so I know how sad it is to miss somebody and maybe wish there was something I could have done.

edit: I looked for 'light a candle' or similar on google. is there such a site for her?

Miss Sheri
March 11th, 2014, 07:15 PM
((((May)))) That must have been a great honor and a difficult task. I'm glad you were able to focus on the happy memories of this dear friend.

MayinJerset
March 11th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Shenna asked, I looked for 'light a candle' or similar on google. is there such a site for her?

Not that I know of but will let you know if I find out about one.