PDA

View Full Version : -- R U GOING TO READ THIS . . . . you really should :)

CountryHut
March 10th, 2014, 06:17 PM
--- --- I just rec'd a phone call from # - 415-159-1808 --- they said they were calling from --- WINDOWS --- and they were receiving error messages from my computer --- I told them - -- that they were a scam artist and WINDOWS or MICROSOFT don't take the time to call people ------------- of course they hung up ------------- SO BE AWARE OF THIS SCAM -- don't allow someone to access your computer -- don't give any kind of information out --- just tell them that you don't have a computer
----------------------------- PLEASE PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE -------------

RoseMA
March 10th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the warning.

Quilting Queen
March 10th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I have gotten that call several times. I just hang up. I know Microsoft would not call me. If they needed me they would at least email me.

donella
March 10th, 2014, 06:48 PM
They can get really hateful too.I have got this call several times and I tell them I am not interested and he told me he knew where I lived.I told him to come on I would be waiting with my shotgun.He said well I have a machine gun.lol.Last time he called he was more polite.If you talk to them they just keep arguing with ya.

jsmetcalf
March 10th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Let me step up the warning. Although this was a number of months ago, we, too, were receiving these "Microsoft" calls although no incoming phone number was showing up on our caller ID. If you don't answer, they call back - multiple times per day. Finally, my husband answered the phone with the intent of informing them that we were a do not call household and further calls would result in filing a complaint. The person on the line (who was clearly not calling from the US) got very belligerent and threatened to continue to call - even said he would start calling at night. True to his word, we began getting phone calls at 10pm that night and every 15 minutes thereafter. My husband contacted the phone company and the sheriff's office (we live in a small town and the sheriff's office routinely puts out phone tree style messages to warn residents of scams, storms, meetings, etc.). The sheriff did indicate that we were not the first report of the evening and warned against providing any information to the caller. The phone company was unable to trace or even find the incoming phone number, but recommended that we activate the feature on our phone that would block all calls that come in if no number displays. Since we did that, we no longer receive the calls (or if we do we don't know about it since they are blocked). I would encourage you to utilize this feature on your phone. And please - don't ever give out information nor give anyone access to your computer. It's bad enough that we have to deal with the NSA stealing our information!!!

Blondie
March 10th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Ditto what Judy said above - but - ours was to my Mom's phone after she came home from the hospital. Whenever I would hang up, they would call back numerous times insisting that we needed to update our account. I can only thank God that I was the one manning the phone as my Mom would've naiively given them the info.
If you have seniors at home with internet access, please make them aware of this. It is quite scarey.

Slokarma
March 10th, 2014, 07:35 PM
There's another one that was going around in our area. It shows up on your cell phone as Antigua or Bermuda. I was suspicious of it, so instead of using my cell, I used Ooma and thought it was weird when they said I had 4 min. before charges....never heard that before and I hung up. Later I heard on the local news that it was a scam being reported in the area and if you returned the call on your cell, there would be a charge for $20.

My fear? sooner or later, I am going to run out of my little bit of smarts and all those spammers are going to swoop all over me!
(I'm laughing....sort of)

auntiemern
March 10th, 2014, 07:40 PM
This was on our local news last week.

BobW
March 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM
You have to get up pretty early in the morning to stay ahead of the scammers these days.

Pegger
March 10th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

GrammaBabs
March 10th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Sad, but we've had them as well... they are not "understandable",, if you know what I mean and my DH did get a "threat" from them... I agree the "block call" feature is the best way to protect yourself... sad we have to do this and very sad we have to worry about our elderly being scammed this way!!

Auntpiggylpn
March 10th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I was getting several phone calls a day on my cell phone from several different states. I don't have a land line. I started blocking the individual numbers but then they would just call from another number with the same area code and prefix but the last 4 numbers are different. I was able to adjust my call blocking setting on my cell phone to block all calls from those area codes. I have no family or friends in those states so no reason to get a phone call from them. Now I get a call maybe once every couple of days. I just add the area code to my block list. I have registered my cell phone with the Do Not Call site but doesn't always work.

toggpine
March 10th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I was an idiot.
"No my windows aren't broke, but I do need them washed. Call before you come out so I can lock up the dogs and turn off the hot fence, or you won't be able to get in the gate." Then I hung up.

In the first place they asked for my husband, who knows how to turn on the computer if it's in sleep mode. Secondly, no one is calling to fix your computer problem unless you called them first.
Interesting to know that this scam is still going around since they called here last August/September.

KathyCrofoot
March 10th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I let my Mom know - and warned her to let Dad know since he is quick to whip out his plastic for just about any reason especially if it has to do with her stuff. He doesn't use computer or internet - but knows she does.

Its pretty scary!

easyquilts
March 10th, 2014, 10:24 PM
This is a popular scan..... Too bad dome people fall for it... Thanks for the warning.

andralynaa
March 11th, 2014, 03:59 AM
I told them I didn't have a computer. LOL. That stumped them. He paused and repeated that I needed an update and I just told him again that I don't have a computer. I haven't had them call back.

stationarymom
March 11th, 2014, 04:33 AM
i've received the first scam call at least 3x the last time i knew it was the same scam so i asked where they were calling from and they said n.y. so then i asked him if he was there what state was on the border of n.y. he didn't know then i told him he was a scammer he told me i was a scammer and hung up on me.

stationarymom
March 11th, 2014, 04:35 AM
i called my local police after i received these calls to ask if they could let at least the seniors in town know about this they told me they couldn't do that.

Racing Nana
March 11th, 2014, 09:27 AM
My aunt was waiting for a rebate from Windows for a product that she bought, so when this scammer called she assumed it was legit.
They took control of her computer and got passwords and all sorts of stuff and $1000 in her bank account.
Fortunately the money transfer they tried to do went into a "pending file" and she was able to get it back.

HEAD'S UP ALL. This is really a nasty evil thing.

gloria
March 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM
This happened to me also. I knew from the start that it was a sham so I decided to play a dumb ole lady asking as many stupid questions as I could over and over again taking up about 20 minutes of his time before finally asking him if this would also fix the problem with my computer as it crashed last week. I guess he realized he had wasted alot of time for nothing and hung up. I have not gotten any since then.

Pandabear
March 11th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I've had this phone call twice. Both times I ask how I'm getting all the Microsoft errors on my Mac. They hung up.

Also beware of the Life Alert scam. I got that call a couple months ago. They call and tell you they have the life alert date of installation and it's this day and such and such. I hung up. Later in learned they tell people a relative ordered it and they have to pay a fee or some such.

If my phone calls are to be believed in the last few years I've won thousands of cruises, an internet alarm system multiple times, Life Alert, my Windows is infected and people I never heard of supposedly living at my number. I won't even get into what my email tells me.

Frankly, if I don't know you I hang up on you.

EmmaB
March 11th, 2014, 11:20 AM
My mom got the "grandparent scam". Someone called her pretending to be her grandson and said he was in jail and was needing bail money. Thank the Lord above, she called me and told me about it and said she would need some help with this and told me not to call his mother!! I called my nephew from my cell phone while I was at mom's house to let her know he was alright. It upset her so, so much!!! I could have killed these people. I reported it to our sheriff's department.

Madeforyouinma11
March 11th, 2014, 02:43 PM
We have a land line phone that is used only if we are having an issue with our cell phones. If I want to give my number to someone, I give them my cell#. If I get a call on my cell and it doesn't show the persons name, I let it go to voice mail. It's my way of screening through "bad" calls. We don't answer the house phone because most of the scam calls go to that number. I check the messages, if they leave one. There are too many scams going on right now to keep up with all of them, so if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If it's a legit call, they will leave a message. It's sad that it's come down to screening calls for fear of being charged $ that you may never be able to recover.

JCY
March 12th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Whew, I hope those scammers don't call our number. We screen all our calls with the message recorder. Our msg. says, "If you are a telemarketer, please hang up now & put our no. on your no call list." It's amazing how many hang-ups we get. People who know us will identify themselves, & if we're close by we'll pick up the phone. JCY

jjkaiser
March 12th, 2014, 01:16 AM
I love that idea, just say you don't havea computer!! My SIL fell for this and was out hundreds of dollars. And she's a lawyer!! So yes it could happen to anyone. Always be aware that there are bad guys everywhere. Thanks for the reminder.

GuitarGramma
March 12th, 2014, 02:27 AM
My aunt was waiting for a rebate from Windows for a product that she bought, so when this scammer called she assumed it was legit.
They took control of her computer and got passwords and all sorts of stuff and $1000 in her bank account.
Fortunately the money transfer they tried to do went into a "pending file" and she was able to get it back.

HEAD'S UP ALL. This is really a nasty evil thing.

Thank you for letting us know what CAN happen. I have received these calls numerous times spanning at least two years. Being an old computer programmer, I can usually confuse them to the point that they hang up on me. But I have really wondered what they were trying to do. Take control of our computers? That is the worst!

One time I just kept answering the guys questions with, "Yes, I have a lot of Windows computers" without giving him any specific information. The guy tried to get the best of me and said, "Can I have one?" I couldn't believe it and said, "What?!?!" He said, "You said you have a lot of Windows computers. I don't have one. Can I have one of yours?" I told him no -- rather unkindly -- and hung up.

One time I asked him who the head of his company was. That guy said something like Warren Buffett. I told him that was wrong and that if he didn't know the head of the Windows Computer company then he wasn't legitimate. Then I hung up.

One time, I played along. He asked me if I was in front of my computer. I falsely told him I was. He then asked me to pull up the register and make changes. I told him there was no way I would do that because I'm an old computer programmer and I know how dangerous that is. He told me that my windows computer has a problem and that he must fix it and that I must type what he said into the command line. Of course, I didn't. But if your aunt did, that's how they got control of her computer.

Very, very scary.