PDA

View Full Version : Monday and it isn't raining (here)

Blondie
March 10th, 2014, 06:14 AM

Hello Folksies and Welcome to Monday!

Yessir, it's gonna be Monday all day long. I kinda like the thought of this since I will be mostly home bound today. Hubs has to use my little pick me up truck since his is in the shop. Don't ask. The week end was pleasant enough once the sun came out to start the thaw. The ground here is total mush. Betcha when it starts to thaw out where y'all live it will be soggy too - the past year and half made up for our drought. Good grief, if you need rain, get Sandy out there to do her rain dance with you! I did and look what happened! We have had rain rain wind wind rain rain wind wind . . . Sandy has the mojo- of course, my feet were stomping too, but SHE has the mojo. I defy any of our weather folks to even mention the D word. That is as long as we have enough for the crops this summer! Still day dreaming about our garden for this year.

Now, I also have a case of I don't know what I want to do sewing wise. Oh sure, I have plenty of projects that need to be completed, will most likely work on getting some more - plenty of bindings to get ready and sewn on. I see quilts online that are drool worthy. I just don't know which one I want to start next. So, I piddle around making a block here and a block there, stitch on a COC, waiting for something to catch my fancy. Does this ever happen to you? Hoping that if my BLOCK magazine ever arrives it will start my engines again. Perhaps it is Spring Fever? I have a list of quilts on my bucket list. Just none that I can figure out the fabric combos, etc. Sigh. Life can be just so dang difficult! Why oh why couldn't I own a quilting store and have the pick of fabric! Which leads me to ask - which comes first - the fabric or the pattern? Do you decide you want to make a certain quilt and then pick the fabric or do you purchase fabric and then decide on the pattern?

Have a wonderful day, folksies! I am off to do my Monday thing. Which is clean some, make some cookies and then a nice dinner of Chicken Riggies. Now, even if you are kinda outta sorts in certain areas of your life today, you still have a life. So, SMILE (and cheerio!)

Jean Sewing Machine
March 10th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Good morning! Early morning for me, but I'm anxious to get into the sewing room! Want to border my triple Irish Chain and get going on quilting it.

I also need to make a hospital gown for my play, if I can find fabric in my stash ugly and scratchy enough! Don't think the pattern will be hard to put together. A couple of rectangles with a few ties. I can throw that together in a hurry.

It's supposed to be very warm today, that will be awesome for a change! Let the melting continue!

Judy, USMC
March 10th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Good Monday to you too! Yep the thaw is in full force here on the Carolina coast. Have a 6 inch rut from where my DH missed the driveway with our mini-van.

My quilting goes both ways ... sometimes the pattern comes first. But mostly I have the tendency to build my stash with whatever catches my eye. And then, when I have enough in a colorway to make a quilt, the search for a pattern starts.

Bubby
March 10th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Morning Everyone,

I've been up since 4 getting Jeff's lunch together. I have to have the Girls at the groomer in Houston by 6 am and later this morning I have to drive to Cuba to show an apartment. It's going to be a busy day with me going in all directions.

We still have quite a bit of ice on the ground but most of our snow is gone. Jeff worked on breaking up some ice yesterday and said we still had at least 2 inches. It's been a real mess around here. Blondie, since the snow melted everything is soggy and muddy here, too. The Girls hate getting their feet dirty, especially Miss Dottie. She has to have her feet cleaned the same second she comes into the house. Sweet Olive doesn't really mind getting her feet dirty as long as she's having fun, but she hates getting hers cleaned.

Did anyone watch Resurrection last night? What an intriguing plot!! We really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next episode.

I sure wish my Block magazine would come.

Somehow I want to squeeze in some sewing today between my trips. I also have several loads of laundry to catch up with.

Wishing everyone a great Monday.

Cathy F
March 10th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Morning all,

I'm awake early this morning, cant tell what the weather is yet still dark outside.

I usually buy fabric I like then try to decide what I want to do with it. I bought the Plum Sweet jelly roll last week and trying to decide what to do with it.

I was up in the sewing room yesterday with the intent to clean. Well, that didn't last long. I came across a package of Bali pops that I had bought and decided I needed to try a jelly roll race. It's in progress as I had to stop to make dinner will finish it today and then will have to find fabric for some applique work on it. Yes, I am easily sidetracked and no cleaning got done in my sewing room. Tell me I'm not the only one that does that!
Off for a cup of coffee and wait for the sun to rise.

Iris Girl
March 10th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Morning all! It is still dark here but should be a warm day with more melting. Off to work for me today and the rest of the week 5 work days and a class day this week. No lounging around sewing and going to quilt shows this week. finishing off a table topper for a class in April and another quilt for PICU then sending these 5 off to Marilyn. I bought 5 new patterns at the quilt show and am anxious to work on one or all of those. I buy fabric when I see it and it jumps at me screaming buy me buy me!! then I find a pattern to work with it later. Have a great day all, hugs to those that need them and SMILE!

Blondie
March 10th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Hmm, Cathy F - I have the attention span of a very small child, so that is one reason why I have so many projects to complete; if I get started on somthing and get interrupted -which happens all the time - I am beginning to make notes to myself about what I was doing. Honestly, I HAVE to do this or else!
Fabric or pattern - well, I have learned the hard way that if I like a charm pack that I like a lot, I NEED to buy multiples of it or will not be able to complete a quilt. An example, I purchased a few darling charms - Meadow Friends by Deb Strain for Moda and Florabunda by Bernatex. No more charm packs. I have been able to locate a layer cake and some yardage, thanks to some FB friends. It just is sooo much easier for me to deal with charms. I have a hard enough time sewing a straight line - you should see my cutting lines. boo hoo. Yes, I measure twice and cut once. Most of the time. Not to mention if I want to get the entire line, how much does a 1/4 to 1/2 yard cost! Here is me saying OY. So, my new rule of thumb is if I see it on a daily deal, I will try to get multiples. Even at the higher cost after the DD, it is still a better deal than other sites offer for the most part.

EnumclawGramma
March 10th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Good Monday Morning! Everyone's up early today. Is it the time change? I slept really good, only woke to roll over and fluff pillows. This is a first for me for MONTHS. Am I returning to semi normal?? Prayers answered!

Today is yoga, cleaning, lots and lots of ironing the man's shirts, and the monthly dinner with my cousins. I can't believe it's already March 10th! This month is going to fly by and we'll be in the heat of Summer before you know it! I need to get some dry hours so I can get out and clean up my deck. Get my picnic table thawing out and then drying out.

We had a wonderful dinner of Ham and greens and beans yesterday, with enough leftovers for an army for a few nights. Why does that meal always grow so big? It was deelish, one of my favorites!

I haven't seen or heard a weather report yet, but it's raining out there right now. Hoping for a little clearing today, just to take the edge off. A hint of blue, if only for an hour or so.

Everyone have a wonderful Monday. Do something that makes you happy, smile and share some happiness with someone who needs it today! Hugs/Prayers all 'round!!!

Mpyles
March 10th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Morning! Not nearly as excited to go to work as I was to go on vacation. It was a good vacation...but I didn't accomplish nearly as much as I had in my mind to get done.

Back to work this morning...riding in with DH as my truck is still in the shop. Hope to have it back this afternoon. I am going to my home location for the next 3 days...as my RM is on vacation this week and I need to cover a few days. Then a few days at the store I have been at lately to follow up on some things and a trip to Lebanon this week. It's a 6 day work week...yuck....but I will pick up that extra day off next week. I have club tonight..hope I can stay awake for it..time change throws me off!

Posted a picture of my DS after his race yesterday, many if you congratulated him...thank you for that. He so loves cycling...it's quite a crazy sport.

Well...I better get moving before my bus leaves! Everyone have a great day!

pcbatiks
March 10th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Good morning everyone. One of our dogs decided to go outside at 4:30 this morning & I am still awake.

Last week I joined our local quilt guild. They introduced a paint chip quilt challenge that will be due later this year. It sounds interesting.........I will be thinking on this one & hope to give it a try.

I'm still piddling with my two small projects. I'm moving way to slow on these.

Off to sort books again in a few hours. The sale is getting close.......can't wait. It's always fun watching people who love to read......filling their arms with books.

We actually had some of that bright shiny stuff in the sky yesterday afternoon..........I think they call it sunshine! :D The trees & flowers are blooming but the ground is still mushy from all the rain.

Hope you all have a great day!

Marty
March 10th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Today will be above freezing - Woo hoo! I believe we were planting spinach at this time last year. Today we probably still have 12 inches of snow on the ground. As far as the fabric/design question my budget requires that I have a plan before I purchase. I decide on a design, borders, etc and then work out the math. I think about what type of fabrics would work. Sometimes florals, sometimes collections with lots of color, sometimes the pattern requires lots of contrast, who I am making it for, etc. It takes me forever to make a fabric purchase. Fabric sits in my cart forever.

Monique
March 10th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Good morning friends. I now have my wee one with me. We went and got her yesterday. I have her for the whole week. So needless to say there won't be much quilting/sewing getting done this week. I did sandwich the square in a square at work on Saturday but I did not do a very good job, so I will redo that this week to get it ready for next week.

It is a lovely morning here. -5c, so that makes it 23F for you in the US. NICE!!

Have a great day everyone.

buckeyequilter
March 10th, 2014, 08:58 AM

Good morning....

Finally some warm weather...the ground is muddy...but the weather is warm. I heard that we're expecting some snow on Wed. 4 - 9"....hope it's not true.

As you all know, I just buy fabric willy-nilly....so I suppose, for the most part, fabric comes first. And because of my shopping habits, if I find a pattern I like then I have to buy fabric for it.

My daughter brought her friend's kids to see me yesterday....even the new baby - she was 2 months old yesterday. I took lots of pics of them...they are so cute.

I'm putting the memory quilt on the frame, it was to be my sister's quilt, so I will be giving it to her daughter. I've been thinking about what I want to put on a label for the quilt. I'll be working along on it just fine and then the memories begin and then the tears start.

I really need to clean my sewing room....but I also have the attention span of a very small child. I begin to clean and find something....the ADD kicks in and I'm off to play with whatever I found.

Well need to get to work....have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs

HandsOffItsMine
March 10th, 2014, 09:15 AM
No rain yesterday, it was a beautiful day as we looked at a property for lease. Finally a realtor who replied to a "Can we schedule a time to see your property on ....?" She's professional and nice! Teresa is actually showing me another house that I've been trying to get into for the last two weeks this morning. And hopefully two others we found yesterday afternoon. Out of these four, we should find the ONE the lease. :)

Going to pick up boxes to start packing. As I dust/clean this week, I will start packing up what we don't need. What fun...

dwil23
March 10th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Good Morning, all!

Boy it is moving season, isn't it? Seems like half of us on here are moving some days. DS and DIL have been having the same problem, Ruby. No one will even return their calls or emails about properties for rent. I know agents don't make a ton of money on rentals, but I would look at it as "If I give them good customer service now, and when they are ready to buy, they will call me". But, I guess that is just me.

If I have a pattern I want to do, I usually pick the fabrics out for it. If I buy a precut, then I decide what pattern to use, so it goes both ways. Picking out the fabrics is the most enjoyable part for me, but I love precuts because I want it all and the precut gives me the chance to buy just a little bit of everything.

And Blondie, I have to ask "what are Chicken Riggies?"

Hope everyone has a nice sunshiny day!

CrazyMtnLady
March 10th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Good morning.. gonna be another nice day here.. will get some more clothes washed and on the clothesline soon. But do have to go to town today and do some banking and get groceries.

So glad it is warming up.. may be able to sit at the sewing machine soon without it being so cold in that room. :)

Hope everyone has a great day.
Hugs and prayers to all

MayinJerset
March 10th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Yes, Blondie what are Chicken Riggies?
Right now I have the problem of deciding on a pattern for DGD Catherine's engagement quilt as I'll be in Lancaster PA this weekend and hope to pick up the fabrics. Problem is without a pattern how much of each fabric do I buy? Sometimes the fabric decides upon the pattern, so I'll sketch out a few possibilities and do the math and hope for the best. Fabric colors will also play a part as the engagement couple chose amethyst, grey and cream as their colors. Hoping to find a fabric in a amethyst print and work from there.

Libby, see you have a monthly cousin club like I do with a few of my cousins, we're called The Grannys. We usually meet monthly for lunch at each others homes but haven't this year as one of the gals had a minor heart attack so we're waiting for her to feel up to it again. Think we'll just do a short visit to her for coffee instead of lunch. Miss seeing each other and catching up with what's been going on with everyone.

Today is DH's 80th Bday. He just took off for his Monday morning math class and I'll make him one of his favorites for tonight's dinner. We will celebrate with family on Sunday. I'm not up to cooking so I'll just order hero sandwiches, 2 DGDs said they would bring salads and I assigned DS#2 and his DW to pick up the whipped cream Bday cake I ordered. Only ones who can't make it are DGDs and their DHs who live out of state in New Orleans and California. They'll most likely call when everyone is here on Sunday.

turena65
March 10th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Good morning friends! It seems strange to be up and at 'em so early today.... I'm a single mom for the next 4 months. Yikers! I don't like it, not one bit! Hubby finally got a job last week. Woot! Woot! Being out of work for 10 months is really bad for a man's psyche, he felt as if he couldn't contribute to the family and yada, yada, yada. Glad one of us was working full-time during that time period. Anywho, he left Saturday for Salt Lake City, staying with our son who lives in the area, and starts his new job today. We listed our house on Friday, my Birthday, and I then had to work for the next 3 nights. No sleep for me today as the real estate agent called and wants to show our house to an interested buyer early this afternoon, so I have to do some cleaning and organizing to get it ready to show. I can't believe she's showing it already, not sure if its serious or not, but we are serious about selling. Of course, our 16 year old is ticked... but we promised her we wouldn't move until schoool is out in June so she has another semester to be with the only friends she has ever had. Change is hard, and I get it, I really do as we moved when I was a Sophomore in high school, but there is a big beautiful world out there and I think the she will be really happy with the change in the long run.

Now I have to get a Utah RN license and start looking for work and housing too. Oh yah, our DS #2 and his wife are due Friday with their first baby... which leads me to the saddest thing ever... I had to pack up my sewing/quilting room and put it ALL away... no time to play with fabric or make quilts when we have to show the house and get everything packed to move. Sniff, sniff... that was a sad day I have to tell you. At least I got the new baby's quilt done just in time. It's going to be a busy couple of months around here, and finally the daffodils and crocus' are popping up letting us know Spring is here and Winter is heading out the door...

Have a great day everyone... hopefully everyone's winter will be a melting memory like Jean's picture!

MRoy
March 10th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Good SUNNY morning! Yes, it's sunny and supposed to warm up into the 60s today and maybe up to 70 tomorrow. YAY! The yard will turn to mush and the burrowing critters will have a field day, but I really don't care (for now anyway). I slept late this morning and started laundry as soon as I got up. I've got some minor housework to do then a quilt guild meeting this afternoon. I've missed a couple of meetings but plan to go today. Our little guild is so small (10 people) that's it's more like a little social club with some nice people.

Which came first-fabric or pattern? For me it's fabric, I usually buy what I like without thought of a pattern.

Sandy Navas
March 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Well, well, well - mostly sunny skies, forecast says 70 degrees for the high. It is beautiful out - but I'm staying in. Al is going to be gone on an all day translation job so I think I'll take advantage and at least try to clean the living room. There are so many other things I would rather be doing though. But, once I get started cleaning it spreads to the rest of the house - until my back gives out.

Worked on a special, very creative mug-rug (creative for me, at least) and put the backing on it, turned it out and the backing fabric was wrong-side out. HATE that. So I spent time ripping and ripping and ripping. That sort of spoils the rest of the creative mood for me. So came upstairs, Al was ready to load another quilt on the long-arm so we went through the maintenance - oiling, needle change, clearing lint, etc., and got a piece of thread caught in the bobbin uptake and it seized the machine up! Anyone know where I left my sledge hammer?

I had to do some research on Chicken Riggies, too, May. Never fixed that.

Blondie
March 10th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Good Morning, all!

And Blondie, I have to ask "what are Chicken Riggies?"

I just posted it in the recipe folder. It is reminiscent of Chicken Caccitorie but without the bones and my family prefers this one. It was given to me by a friend in Upstate NY many years ago. YUMMMMMMM (and this comes from someone who doesn't like chickie)

Madeforyouinma11
March 10th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Morning everyone! This is early for me but hubby had a court day for work so I was up early enough to make him coffee before he left.
Had a great weekend. Julia spent the night on Saturday, and even though the poor thing was miserable with a cold, we had a great weekend. She is so good and such a happy baby.
Pattern or fabric? For me, most of the time it's fabric....I buy fabric and decide what to do with it later. I do have a couple of groups of fabric put aside that were bought for a specific pattern but that doesn't happen very often.
Well, we had some really nice sunny days last week...actually in the 50's. Yesterday was kind of cold and it was windy. Today.....I looked out the window and it's snowing! We are only supposed to get a few flurries but the ground is cold enough that it's already covered....grrrrrrr....not happy. Wednesday is going to be rain and and Thursday....more snow....again, not happy.
Today is a little cleaning and lots of laundry. Already have two loads done and have about two or three left. Hoping to get some sewing in today. Need to finish quilting one for Julia and binding one for the PICU. Off to get another cup of coffee. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

GuitarGramma
March 10th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Good morning, everyone. Blondie, your title caught my eye because it IS raining here. And, hoo boy howdy, do we need it. California is experiencing its worst drought in recorded history, so every drop of rain is precious. I live about 10 miles from a major reservoir, and it's scary to see how far the shoreline has receded.

As for pattern vs. fabric, I've changed. Before Jenny Doan came into my life, I ALWAYS chose the pattern first. Now, faced with all those sumptuous fabrics in the Daily Deals, I often choose a fabric and find a pattern later.

It's nice to wake up to all of you this morning. I never adjust well to the time change, and this year is no exception. It was better in the old days when Daylight Savings Time started at the end of April. But it's March and it's DARK outside, and I start grumbling about the government thinking it can control the time. Who am I kidding? They DO control the time!

Jackiejs
March 10th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Hi to GuitarGramma, I too live in Northern California near a reservoir. Yes the rain has been such a blessing. Our pastures are finally turning green.
We might be neighbors ?

Claire Hallman
March 10th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Hi to GuitarGramma, I too live in Northern California near a reservoir. Yes the rain has been such a blessing. Our pastures are finally turning green.
We might be neighbors ?
Are you in Nevada City? My DH and I are going to be there on 6/5-6/6 at the Outside Inn for a online friends get together. Such a beautiful area you live in if that is where you are. Plus there is a great quilt shop in Grass Valley.

Simply Quilting
March 10th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Good Morning!!! The weather was beautiful yesterday. Sweet hubby took two of the children and the dog for a walk yesterday. The snow is basically gone. There are just a few tiny piles left of ice where the snow has melted and refroze. I'm looking forward to seeing the grass turn green and the flowers come out.

As far as pattern or fabric, it depends upon which one I see first. I have learned with charm packs to pick up four and enough fabric to do the back and binding. The only exception is if it is a baby quilt then I pick up two charm packs.

I finished cutting the sewn fabric into 2 1/2 inch strips and putting three together yesterday for the Irish Chain. Now I need to reiron and sew into 9 patches. I'm going to start sewing on that this evening as my mother-in-law is coming today and I've got a meeting to go to.

Then I promised the children that we would start on their pillowcases today. My head doesn't feel like it with this up and down temperatures but we are going to try anyway.

Have a great day everyone :)

WendyI
March 10th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Morning all...well it's apparently afternoon...really must adjust the clock in my office. Have I mentioned that Spring Daylight Savings SUCKS! uhg. I'm not a morning person so it kills me very year. WHY do we STILL do this! Honestly! Also woke with some kind of sinus thing that's giving me what feels like a toothache! Mondays should just be abolished.

BUT Blondie's thread still made me smile and Karen made me laugh out lout this morning so it's still an okay day in spite of my whining. Hope y'all have a Great Monday! xox

toggpine
March 10th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Good Morning!
It is raining here again. The lake behind the barn is still there and won't be shrinking any by the looks of things.

We had a nice weekend with friends. Mom spoiled my daughter while we were gone, but that is her job! My friend & I poked through a cute little town and found the yarn shop (she crochets) and I introduced her to the world of fabric via a lovely little quilt shop I had been in several years ago. Neither one of us escaped unscathed! I do feel inspired after having been in a different shop with someone who was looking at all of the colors and ideas with fresh eyes.

As for the pattern/fabric question. I walked out of Tangled Threads with an Amy Bradley pattern Snow Day Sew Day Quilt Pattern (http://amybradleydesigns.com/sndaysewdayq.html) that will use fabrics mostly out of my stash and about half a yard of fabric that inspired a quilt idea with a large applique in the center using the small panels as blocks around the outside. So I guess I don't have a preference.

To be honest, the pre-cuts stump me. I have a beautiful JR and I can't decide what to do with it. I have two of those plastic shoeboxes of pre-cuts, mostly charm packs that are just waiting for me to make them into something. I'm guessing I have to just dive in before one of you reports me to the Quilt Police for fabric neglect!

I too am off to herd some laundry through the machines.
You all have a fabulous day no matter what the weather!
Hugs, Cathy

auntiemern
March 10th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Good day all. Another restless night for me. I really need to do something about that. Interesting ? Blondie. Easy answer for me though. I buy fabric like Shirley, willy nilly. I can't pass it up. Therefore I would have to say the fabric always comes before the pattern. I must stop buying though. I have more than I will EVER use. I need to find a fabric anonymous for me, it is that bad. Any way I have some errands to do today, so I need to get busy I guess. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

SallyO'Sews
March 10th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Precious Blondie,

Just read the recipe for Chicken Riggies.

In other news, I will be joining you for dinner tonight! :D