PDA

View Full Version : What boosted your spirits recently?

HandsomeRyan
March 7th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Just like the title says, post an example of something which has had a positive effect on you recently. There are so many bad or difficult things that each of us goes through, sometimes it is nice to focus on the positives no matter how big or small they may be.

For mine I am not going to use the obvious one (my baby) and instead I'll say I got a huge morale boost when I found out that the business where I taught a class about chicken coop design last year has invited me back to not only teach that class again but also another class as well. As all of you have probably figured out- I like hearing myself talk especially when it comes to talking about things I enjoy. Teaching classes allows me an opportunity to try to get other people excited about the things that I am excited about. Usually I teach horticultural topics at a local plant nursery but it can be very hit-or-miss about what they want taught and when. Expanding to other venues was already nice but to get invited back is sort of a confirmation that my first class there was a success. (I always think my classes are a success but I am probably not terribly objective in forming that opinion) I'm excited to be teaching a couple of things there and leaving the option open to teach even more.

What has lifted your spirits lately? It can be anything big or small. It is important to see, even in the face of adversity that each of us has to overcome each day, that there are still good things occurring in all our lives.

EnumclawGramma
March 7th, 2014, 09:39 AM
I love this! Thank you for starting this thread Ryan....

This is not so much something I have overcome (tho that list is mighty long and growing!) but something that's going on with my middle son, Josh. As some of you know he's been battling Melanoma (with unwavering courage and success). One of the side effects of his study med is cataracts. He's also an artist, with lots of work in progress and some hanging in a local coffee shop with a show in the near future. He was loosing his eyesight daily, and it was getting to the point where he may not have been able to go out unassisted. Well, he had his second surgery Tuesday of this week, and it's been VERY successful!!! His eyes have cleared quite nicely, he may not even need to wear glasses, his doctor is VERY pleased with the results. This is something that, now that he has brand new lenses in both eyes, he won't have to deal with again.

This has lifted MY spirits immensely!!

Josh and his wonderful GF:

MRoy
March 7th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Ryan, I thought you were the quiet, shy type. LOL! Congrats on the return invitation, that's a very good sign that your class was a success.

I got a haircut yesterday and it was a pretty day after all the snow and ice earlier in the week. That combo boosted my spirits.

dwil23
March 7th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Well, just posted this in the Good Morning thread, but here goes:

My Son, DIL and grandson are moving here at the end of this month and I got my new Vintage Machine "Marilyn Rose" yesterday. That made me pretty happy yesterday.

oh - and the stock market has been up! I never used to care, but as I get closer to retirement and my retirement fund is based on that, it has gotten my attention. I know, I know, what goes up, must come down.:)

Ryan - you should teach a quilting class!

DeniseSm
March 7th, 2014, 10:13 AM
My passion is quilting. Every year I try to add a new skill. I have been Free Motion Quilting on my domestic sewing machine, a Brother PC420 for five months now. I am thrilled to say that I have overcome my fear of FMQ (which was intense) and have been able to at least partially adjust my mindset to think how to use the quilting to enhance the quilt. Here are the FMQ swirls and a cornerstone flower on my quilt Sunny Summer Days70176

Shirley
March 7th, 2014, 10:16 AM
My passion is quilting. Every year I try to add a new skill. I have been Free Motion Quilting on my domestic sewing machine, a Brother PC420 for five months now. I am thrilled to say that I have overcome my fear of FMQ (which was intense) and have been able to at least partially adjust my mindset to think how to use the quilting to enhance the quilt. Here are the FMQ swirls and a cornerstone flower on my quilt Sunny Summer Days70176
Denise, great job!!

PeggyM
March 7th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I already shared both of these, but 1) I found a cassette tape with my late husband's voice on it; and 2) I found out I'm going to be a granny again.

RFREE
March 7th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I hear ya Myrna. I am getting out today after being iced in since last Saturday! This lifts my spirits for sure. Only trouble is I am thinking of driving to Paducah and getting more supplies for my insulated lunch totes. Good for me getting out but Bad bad bad for my wallet!!!
Ryan chickens lift my spirits too. Me and DD was just talking last night about the local co-op having baby chickens in now but I have to show restraint. I have sworn off getting anymore because of the coyotes and neighbor dogs. I had the carpentry class build me a chicken coop last year and had a whole bunch of silkies and the dogs started killing my big chickens so I sold all my chickens and the coop. Made me sick. I love having chickens to scratch around and sing in my yard. Restraint Restraint Restraint.
Do you think you can post pictures of your chickens sometime? That would lift my spirits too:):):)

CountryHut
March 7th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Our Starfish5 group recently found out --- that the Search and Recovery Ship - Polly L . . is about to sign a 2 year contract for a TV Reality show -- the producers for the remake of the Wizard of Oz have already done a Trailer - and has been submitted to A&E and Discovery - so we all are waiting with bated breath to see which company is going to grab up on this Treasure Hunt of a Spanish ship that sank off the coast of Amelia Island Florida - the Treasures are to be valued at 2 Billion $$'s

so that is our Song and Dance of the week . . L*~

MayinJerset
March 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I'm with Myrna, a good haircut lifted my spirits this week. Also had an enjoyable quilt/book small group meeting at my home on Tuesday night, all 8 members attended this month as the snow is mostly gone. 2 gals were new to our group but after a few minutes they both jumped in and joined the book discussion. Later we all had a good gab fest over Irish Breakfast tea and Irish soda bread as I had set the table for St. Patrick's Day.

Hey Denise, Your FMQ is outstanding.

Marta
March 7th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Another woman in my building tried to steal my cleaning lady and my ironing lady by offering double what I pay and both of them turnned her down. They said I am a really good person to work for. So of course I sent them home early , both with some homemade baked goodies.

pcbatiks
March 7th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Libby.......that is such wonderful news about Josh's eye surgery! Your story boosted my spirits.......you must be thrilled!

Great topic, Ryan.......thanks for posting it.

Something that boosted my spirits recently was a pep talk from Lonna. :) I was telling her about a meeting that I was nervous about attending.......and after a little pep talk from her..........I was more encouraged! So thank you Lonna. I sure appreciate my forum friends! :)

Trish04
March 7th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I feel very lucky right now. I got diagnosed with transitional cell carcinoma of the kidney on dec 23, 2013, as I was talking to our daughter ( who has been fighting leukemia for 10 years) her doctor beeped thru with news she also had cervical cancer, took the wind out of our sails , we were crushed, I had kidney removed etc and pathology was sent to mayos and it came back all contained to,kidney and I just have to have tests every three months as it can show up in my bladder. But I was so happy as I was afraid I wouldn't be able,to,help,our daughter through this next step of her journey, her cervical cancer isn't as bad as they first thought, she is a great fighter and always positive and never complains and also the mother of 5 children. This site has saved my sanity and not to mention the daily deals and fun projects I see here on the forum. And Ryan your little guy and your posts always make my day

sassygranny
March 7th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Totally out of the blue I got a significant raise on Monday. HR says they did a study and several of us were underpaid for the market. How ofren does THAT happen?

Cat n bull
March 7th, 2014, 12:19 PM
he had his second surgery Tuesday of this week, and it's been VERY successful!!! His eyes have cleared quite nicely, he may not even need to wear glasses, his doctor is VERY pleased with the results. This is something that, now that he has brand new lenses in both eyes, he won't have to deal with again.

What WONDERFUL news!

GSArcher
March 7th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I spent yesterday at home with my youngest. She was home sick. She tends to get sick everytime she has a large growth spurt. We watched movies (Harry Potter moviethan), ate mac and cheese, and played with sock monkeys.

Hulamoon
March 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
This morning Vonnie found me some fabric I was looking for :)

Cat n bull
March 7th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Baby angelfish! I used to breed them years and years ago, then stopped having my own tank completely.

Hubby breeds discus, but they don't make me happy like angelfish do.

We just replaced the tiny little tank in our grandson's bedroom in our house with a much bigger one, and I got 10 little baby angels.

They are SO CUTE!!!! I was adding some plants, and they are like little children. They HAVE to check out everything that's happening in their tank. Watching them follow me around the tank, involved in the placement of every plant, just made me laugh out loud! I sure missed having them around. Fish with personality, makes me smile every time!

Watching my grandson fall in love with them was pretty sweet also. The icing on the cake. With some sprinkles, too.

VickiJ
March 7th, 2014, 02:05 PM
One thing that boosted my quilting spirits was completing the two rag quilts for my nephews I posted about earlier. As a newbie quilter, I really have a hard time cutting fabric from yardage. I'm convinced precuts are the only reason I'm even attempting to quilt today! Something about seeing beautiful fabric - especially anything over a yard - that gets me all nervous about not cutting it straight and messing it all up! I'm always afraid its not folded right so I fold and unfold and refold...lather, rinse, repeat at least 10 times.

I could have taken the easy way out by buying a solid LC, because I knew I didn't want the patchwork look on both the front and the back - but I really liked the two different colored "alphabet" yardage they had so I decided to bite the bullet and cut 84 10" squares myself!

They matched up as perfectly as I could have hoped. :)

alliek
March 7th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I just watched a YOU TUBE video of when Wolves were introduced to Yellowstone and the effect they had on the environment, rivers, forests etc. What a beautiful "dance" nature is and how we screwed it up and then recovered . Amazing video. Gives one hope in this world.

Wwena
March 7th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Being asked to come along on a work trip, collecting requests and bouncing ideas for a revamp of a web application we work with. A software tester is rarely included at that stage of the process so being asked to come means something. :)

Michelle M
March 7th, 2014, 03:41 PM
After several years of not being able to afford to get my eyes checked I was finally able to a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday I got the call to go and pick up my glasses. When I put them on I almost started crying because I could see! I didn't realize how bad my vision had gotten until I put the new glasses on. I also got a pair of 'granny glasses' so I can see when I am sewing. I haven't gotten to try them out yet, but I am looking forward to that as well. So, I am very thankful for my glasses and my spirits have been lifted a lot. Thank you all for sharing your stories. They have lifted my spirits too.d

EmmaB
March 7th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Our cat Little Toot was lying in the floor this morning in a large sunbeam and the shadow looked liked batman! It was a nice chuckle to start me day.

mommadeb
March 7th, 2014, 06:02 PM
This is what gives me a boost. Only downside, I have not seen them since April 2013.

BobW
March 7th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I have two:

1) Being invited to travel to Florida with my ex-wife and her daughter for a few days.

2) Getting a designated sewing area in my home. Yea!

auntiemern
March 7th, 2014, 06:19 PM
I wasn't really sure how to answer this when I first read it. You would think it would be an easy answer, especially after being given a clean bill of health after my last CT a few weeks ago. I was excited...I know I can go another 6 months without that looming over me. My problem is I am a fixer. I fix everyone else's problems. I always have been. But when some things are un-fixable it weighs on me. Well that is where I have been. Until today....I got to talk to one of my dear quilty friends..that I love to pieces. I am sure we could have chatted for another hour or so, but I had to leave to pick up my little stud muffin. This is a smile that will last for a while.

quiltingtrish
March 7th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I love reading all your blessings, everyone. That's what I call them. I suppose it all started when I found that saying "What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday?" So I decided to think about what blessing(s) I had received that day so when I lay down to sleep, I am sure to include that in my prayers.
Today's blessings so far - the sun is shining and the snow is melting! The kitties were all waiting for me to come home. I got home early today - at 4. Hearing my DS#2 college kid say "HI MOM!" as I walked in the door as he is home on Spring Break. Some days there are more than others but I always find at least one blessing to make me smile.

Hugs,

Iris Girl
March 7th, 2014, 06:49 PM
My spirits were boosted this morning when My friend and her husband picked me up at 8 this morning to head to the quilt show in NJ. He dropped us off at the door and went and done his own thing. We looked at loads and loads of fabric till our eyes popped . We each bought some and some patterns for new things we want to make. We stopped and had lunch at the cafeteria and went on shopping and looking some more. My 2 we were beat and she called him and he picked us up at the door for a long 2 hour ride home. What a wonderful time we had!

lilmouse
March 7th, 2014, 07:20 PM
For my First Friday Quilters meeting...today I was a social butterfly...left everything at home and offered to help a couple of the girls with issues they were having.......made my day...also will be taking my machine in for another look as it is still noisy...no charge this time!

soul60s
March 7th, 2014, 07:25 PM

It's nice to see what the pc420 can do. I am buying it in 11 days.

jsmetcalf
March 7th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I love reading all your blessings, everyone. That's what I call them. I suppose it all started when I found that saying "What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday?" So I decided to think about what blessing(s) I had received that day so when I lay down to sleep, I am sure to include that in my prayers.
Today's blessings so far - the sun is shining and the snow is melting! The kitties were all waiting for me to come home. I got home early today - at 4. Hearing my DS#2 college kid say "HI MOM!" as I walked in the door as he is home on Spring Break. Some days there are more than others but I always find at least one blessing to make me smile.
Hugs,

I really like your statement "What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday." That's pretty profound...thought provoking. Thank you for that.
I have had several blessings lately that have boosted my spirits not the least of which are my 2 newest grandchildren. Son #4 and my DIL had a little boy about a month ago and daughter #3 and my SIL just adopted a little boy from China. Two precious additions to our every growing family. Additionally today I learned that my MIL will not be moving in with me. Now I know that sounds like I'm singing because I don't have to live with her, but that's not it at all. The reality is that she has a very hard time making decisions and has made many poor decisions lately that have adversely affected her health. When offered the opportunity to move in with one of her children (of which my DH is one) she chose to remain in the city in which she lives, but move into an assisted living community acknowledging that she needs help. That was a big step for her. My DH is visiting with her and today they were going to begin the search for the best living situation for her. It lifts my spirits that she is finally going to be safe and decided that for herself.
One last thing that lifts my spirits? It snowed about 6 inches here today, but it is already beginning the slow melt and is supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow! My poor chickens have been cooped up for the last two days (they hate snow!) so I know their spirits will be lifted when I open their doors tomorrow and they get to run free!!! Nothing better than happy chickens! :)

soul60s
March 7th, 2014, 07:50 PM
It is so great to read all of these. Sometimes it is so easy to filter out the good and remember the bad. So here are mine.

Hubby always lifts my spirits and I haven't seen him all week, I work days and he works nights. The weekend is here so we can spend some much needed time together.

I was laid off at my job that I HATED, back in October. My company does contract work for major airplane and helicopter manufacturers. I was unjustly laid off. The "nice" boss said he would try to get me in as a tech writer. The next day one of the "not so nice" bosses laid me off. I walked out with my head held high and I didn't cry (until I got in the car, that is). So when unemployment ran out and no prospects were on the horizon, I sent an email the the nice boss and asked if anything was open. Within days he had me in there talking to a woman in a different company than the original one I was in. She liked me, he (the nice boss) told her I was good and very meticulous. So I have been working on a different contract, love the office we are in, and the woman who I talked to is really nice and we get along great. Plus I went in with a raise. I take one day at a time but I am two weeks in and am happy there.

I also had my spirits lifted because my son came home from Kuwait today. I haven't talked to him yet but he is the one I made the grinch quilt for.

AND, this whole thread has lifted my spirits.

alliek
March 7th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I feel very lucky right now. I got diagnosed with transitional cell carcinoma of the kidney on dec 23, 2013, as I was talking to our daughter ( who has been fighting leukemia for 10 years) her doctor beeped thru with news she also had cervical cancer, took the wind out of our sails , we were crushed, I had kidney removed etc and pathology was sent to mayos and it came back all contained to,kidney and I just have to have tests every three months as it can show up in my bladder. But I was so happy as I was afraid I wouldn't be able,to,help,our daughter through this next step of her journey, her cervical cancer isn't as bad as they first thought, she is a great fighter and always positive and never complains and also the mother of 5 children. This site has saved my sanity and not to mention the daily deals and fun projects I see here on the forum. And Ryan your little guy and your posts always make my day

TRISH: PRAYERS BEING SAID IN THANKS FOR YOU AND HEALING FOR YOUR DAUGHTER. YOU ARE BOTH SUCH BRAVE BEAUTIFUL WOMEN. GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU IN HIS LOVING CARE.

Miss Sheri
March 7th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Amen, amen, and amen, to all of you!

For me, so many, many things can lift my spirits, but so often it is the simple little things that lift my spirits. . . Hearing birds singing again, blue skies and sunshine, seeing the first signs of spring pushing up through the soil.

ilive2craft2
March 8th, 2014, 03:32 AM
What a wonderful thread!

I took a few minutes out of a hectic work day today to stand in the sunshine out of the wind. It was heavenly! We still have snow on the ground, but it is melting. I think we hit 50* today - woohoo!

Yesterday, my sis took her youngest who is 1 back to the doc - I met her there to keep the older one who is 3 occupied. He was so excited to see me - she was too busy being scared of the doc, but was happy to see me when they came out to the waiting room. I stopped by their house tonight and she got all excited when she saw me. We shared pizza, which surprised my sis - she says she won't eat pizza for them, but she always shares mine. Big brother was happy to eat some too.

stationarymom
March 8th, 2014, 03:54 AM
lately my daughter (she is 23 and at home again) has been making a quite the effort to make more conversation with me and fill me in on some of the events in her life.this has always been difficult for her because she is such an independent soul.

icul8rg8r
March 8th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Love this post! Every evening as I'm tucking in my kids, I ask them what was their favorite memory for the day. We thank God for that blessing. I also make it a point as I drive them to school to exclaim about God's creation - what a beautiful sunrise, or look at the view of the mountain, or doesn't the rain make everything smell so clean and look so green! The other day I even pulled over so we could admire the most vivid, colorful, HUGE rainbow I had ever seen in my life, and as we were standing there thanking God for rainbows, a 2nd / double rainbow appeared. My non-morning, usually grumpy in the morning son got so excited to witness what he called God thanking us back for thanking Him! So double rainbows sure have boosted our spirits this week!

easyquilts
March 8th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I have talked about this in another thread, but will share here.

My spirits were boosted when my niece told me they were naming their 5th baby Samuel EARL....

Also... Today my son us tasking me to see a movie, and then we will be me eying my DIL and DGS
for lunch at a nice place....

Claire Hallman
March 8th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Several things have made me specially happy recently. I walked by a bush the other day and there was a bird sitting at the top singing his lungs out with joy, made me smile big. Then I won a drawing from our Project Linus group so I have a jingle in my pocket and my DS DIL and grand daughter are coming for dinner tomorrow. Altogether some nice small things happening to and around me.
Thanks for all the baby pictures Ryan, love to see his little self.

Andrea F
March 9th, 2014, 06:38 AM
What lifts my spirits today is that the sun is shining big time, the sky is blue and it is going to be 20C today, a really wonderful springy day. I really do not like winter although we haven't seen a single snow flake here where I live (my apologies to everyone with those masses of snow, I would have taken some of it but you didn't send any over...).

This week, after being a research assistant for more than two years, my job was finally upgraded to being a research associate at our department. I know the reason for not being upgraded earlier was a lack of free spots but it feels really good to be an "adequate" staff member now. And it comes with a raise. The job is limited to a six month period because my professor officially retired last year and the new professor is yet to come and this upgrade also enhances my chances to be employed by the new chair of the department in October.

Quiltfreestyle
March 9th, 2014, 10:04 AM
My spirits were lifted yesterday because after a month in the hospital my husband is finally home! Now we can begin to get back to some kind of normal life, I hope.
And I still have 3 weeks before I have to go back to work. Yay!

cyndiofthevortex
March 9th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I stayed home sick from church with a nasty head cold, and got a hearty laugh when DH walked in the door. Of course, it was his turn to serve communion. In front of the church.

I forgot about my head cold. This is going to make me smile all day long.