PDA

View Full Version : Moving...UGH!

shermur
March 7th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I can't sleep; the cat just knocked over a large plant in the kitchen. The youngest daughter made a cake after I went to bed at 8:30 and there's a mess in the kitchen.
The realtor is to take pics of the house later today. I am taking off from work at noon to come home and attempt to get the house ready. I feel very over-whelmed!
There still so much to do; I found a listing on craigslist for some awesome fabric from a lady I purchased so fabric from last year and I want to make time to see her sometime Saturday! She's selling her stash for $2.00 a yard!
Hubby meets with the company management team next Wednesday to see what the company is offering to help us with relocation fees and possibly WHEN we are to move! I wish just it was over and we where already in Arkansas! It's very apparent if the efforts to get the house on the market and sell, plus keep up with the daily events will fall on my shoulders. There's not near enough help!

OK...I have vented now...and I wish I could devote more time in my sewing room!

easyquilts
March 7th, 2014, 06:55 AM
I'm so sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed.... They say moving is one if the top most stressful things in life... I agree. There is just too much to do.....and there is the added stress of getting used to a new town/state.... Right now, there are just too many things going on at once...

Take a deep breath.... Make a list....prioritizing what you have to do...... Remember.... You don 't have to do it all at once.. Verything will get done in its own time.....

I wish I could come over and help.... Do you have a friend...or two....who could help you? Sometimes the worst part is feeling that you have to do it all by yourself....

Good luck.... Everything will work itself out.... I know that's easy for me to say... Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bubby
March 7th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I feel for you, Hon. What helps me I making lists of everything I need to remember so I can get it off my mind somewhat. My prayers are with you. Once all this is done and you are moved life will be wonderful for you again. Big Hugs, Barb

Suzette
March 7th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I agree - lists! :lol: We are also in the process of moving out of state and are getting down to the wire (2 weeks away). Making lists and setting deadlines for things I needed to accomplish has been very helpful to me and has kept me on track and organized.

One other very important thing that helped me was starting to pack the minute we signed on the dotted line with our new house. Everyone thought I was crazy to begin packing that many weeks in advance, but a box or two (or three) every day made the process smooth, easy and manageable. If we didn't have to have it between now and the move, it got packed. Now it's two weeks away and the packing is all done except the bare essentials and has been pretty stress free since it's been done so slow and steady and suddenly I'm looking like a genius to my friends and family. :lol:

I wish you all the best in your move!! :icon_happy:

dwil23
March 7th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I feel for you, Sherri. Moving is overwhelming, and now on top of me getting a house ready and moving, DS, DIL and DGS are moving by the end of the month, too! That really is great news -but, still overwhelming. So much to do.

shermur
March 7th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks for uplifting me, ya'll! You're right, lists do help. I have a few! I have to draw up a list for the funds needed for the move , so hubby can submit it to his company; otherwise, we won't be moving! And it would be so comforting to have more time and help with the cleaning and packing! I guess that's a reason why I feel taken for granted with DH and DD, they could help more than they do!
And I guess, if I could actually stay home to stay on top of things instead of going to work (Ha HA)...well, that's a pipe dream, huh? I am excited about the move, yet fearful about me finding a job right away and condensing 2200 sq ft of stuff into 1300 sq ft of home. I still need more answers to my questions that are available yet...that too, is frustrating!
I suppose I need to live by the saying...Que Sera Sera! Here's a photo of my Navy daughter's tattoo in honor of her Mom (Me):

Sandy Navas
March 7th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Sherri, having moved more times than I ever imagined possible in one lifetime, you have all my empathy. I know how it is to be responsible for doing everything . . . there isn't anyone else in the house who knows (*they pretend they don't, even if they do) what is entailed in moving a household . . . prayers and lots of emotional support headed your way.

My best advice? Turn in your resignation and do the important things at home.

shermur
March 7th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Sherri, having moved more times than I ever imagined possible in one lifetime, you have all my empathy. I know how it is to be responsible for doing everything . . . there isn't anyone else in the house who knows (*they pretend they don't, even if they do) what is entailed in moving a household . . . prayers and lots of emotional support headed your way.

My best advice? Turn in your resignation and do the important things at home.

Oh, darlin' Sandy....you can't imagine how bad I won't to resign from the job and keep on top of things at home! You do understand, sweetie!

RoseMA
March 7th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I feel your pain! Or at least I have. I moved across the country five times in conjunction with Navy service. The first time I was a very young Navy wife and it was no picnic, but we didn't have a lot and I didn't have to worry about schools or any of that. The other four I was a single parent and active duty so the stress of those moves was exponentially greater.
As other's have said, make lists, check them twice, and don't try to do it all yourself. When my daughter was old enough to help, I told her she had to help pack or it would be left behind. She helped pack!
Another good tip from the Navy was to set aside household things that you take with you so you have some semblance of home while you wait for the movers to arrive with everything else. Toiletries of course, but I learned the hard way the first time that I needed at least a min of kitchen ware & linen when my household goods didn't arrive for a month because of miscommunication.
I also used a whiteboard type of calendar up on the wall with the deadline's for things bolded so I could easily see where I was at.
I feel for you, and I hope you are able to find your calm during this stressful time.
Best of luck.
:)

donella
March 7th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Maybe you can take a couple weeks off before the move and do packing.Get rid of stuff you don't use or need.Mark the boxes by room as you go or by importance too so you won't have to open them all .Some can be left awhile in a spare room.If no time to sew you can pack that stuff up and your family will help if you set a day or time maybe for them to do it like the kitchen and daughters room.If the house doesn't sell fast you can go back or stay a little longer than hubby maybe.

kensington
March 7th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I understand totally. As a Navy wife, moving became my second nature. I had the whole thing in my hands on both ends usually... and more than once to get myself and the kids to the other end alone too. I totally deserved that Waterford Crystal vase dh presented to me at his retirement ceremony. LOL.

Are you packing yourself? UGh... I've done that too... I like it much better when I let them do it. Packers come and in one day they pack up your 3 or 4 bedroom house.

Moving is exciting too! A new place... new people to meet, new surroundings to learn and enjoy. Hang in there! Joy comes in the morning!

alliek
March 7th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Sherri, hang in. You have my sympathy. I think the most difficult is keeping the house in perfect order to show. After awhile I just said, if anyone wants the house they will see through the day to day "stuff". It's reasonably clean and straightened. It sold. Deep breath! You'll make it. God Bless

auntiemern
March 7th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I understand your frustration. While I haven't move in 30 yrs..DD has moved several times in the past 12 years. I don't know how she has managed to accumulate sooooo much stuff in such a short amount of time. That being said...the kids WILL get pay backs when they have to come in here and pack up after we are gone.
hang in there Sheri...God has your back.

shermur
March 8th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Well, realtor didn't make it by yesterday to take pics of the house; which was a good thing! I wasn't quite ready. So, now we're shooting for sunday morning at 10 AM. Today will be another house buster on de-clutter and cleaning/organizing. Again, I would much rather be in my sewing room playing catch up with UFOs.
So, the goal today is to light fire under DH and DD to help and me not feeling over-whelmed any more than I am!

Claire Hallman
March 8th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I know that decluttering is supposed to help sell a house but I think some of the realtors go overboard with this, you are still living there and need to be comfortable while you are there.
Once we had our house on the market and after several months of keeping it spic and span we had a crisis and our son was in the hospital for a month in traction. Needless to say I was not too concerned about keeping the house cleaning up. It turned out a couple came to see the house and paid us full price for it. I did ask the agent to go in ahead and make sure there wasn't any stray underware on the floor.

shermur
March 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the giggle Claire! I am so sore after cleaning today and there still more to do tomorrow morning! And don't ask DH and DD about my stern attitude today every time I caught them not helping! I just hope I can muster enough energy to go look at fabric that a lady has on craigslist tomorrow afternoon!

shermur
March 9th, 2014, 02:43 PM
The house pics are taken (got the de-clutter and tidy done just in time)! and there's more to do! At least, I get to go over into Kansas and purchase the fabric of off craigslist! Woo Hoo!

RoseMA
March 9th, 2014, 02:49 PM
The house pics are taken (got the de-clutter and tidy done just in time)! and there's more to do! At least, I get to go over into Kansas and purchase the fabric of off craigslist! Woo Hoo!
Woo Hoo! Yay for more fabric!! :)

shermur
March 12th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Sorry qulting friends...but I need to vent so bad! Over a week ago, my DH stated that a meeting was scheduled for 3/12/14 (today) with his company management to finalize details for our upcoming relocation to Arkansas. They have been stringing us along with re-scheduled meetings since December of last year. The management cancelled the meeting yet again today and it supposed to happen this Friday. Is it wrong for me to feel frustrated and concern for trust with my DH's company? UGH!

shermur
March 23rd, 2014, 11:22 AM
OK...according to DH and his management team...the tentative date for him to go to Arkansas is May 1st (his birthday). We have had two showings on the house with negative feedback. DH and I are now deciding we should invest funds (not that we really have it) to replace old/frayed carpet and paint the basement floor. So, we won't be able to schedule anymore showing until these two projects are done. And as BAD luck would have it, the furnace decided not to work this weekend. So, now we have a call into our Home warranty to get a HVAC contractor to the house to fix the furnace.
I will be so glad when this relocation effort is over....it gets more over-whelming each day; especially when something goes wrong and our home is listed on the market "As is"....

ilive2craft2
March 23rd, 2014, 11:44 AM
Sherri, I feel for you - the stress of selling a house and not knowing all of the details of what the company who is relocating you is going to do is very stressful. Family members need to step up, you can't handle every detail yourself. Delegate, keep lists and check to make sure they are following through. Sometimes it seems easier to just do it yourself so you know it is done right, but you can't do everything.

I have a suggestion- instead of selling it "as is", offer to buy one of those home warranty policies or accept that as a condition of sale from the buyer. They are not super expensive and give peace of mind to potential buyers. Won't fix cosmetic stuff, but covers appliances (including HVAC) etc. Around here, "as is" comes across as "we know major stuff is wrong". We did this with my mom & dad's house - had an older HVAC system and I think it really helped. Our realtor included it in all advertising. For my parents small home it was 400 or 500 and I feel it was money well spent and got us off the market sooner rather than later.

Also, go look at the other homes on the market in your price range - are you in the right price bracket or are the houses in the same range really comparable to yours? Pretend you are the buyer and see what you can get for X amount to see if your house would come out on top. We had an agent once who listed us too high in the beginning, so we just sat on the market forever doing price drops along the way. Hoping for a quick sale for you! Hugs, Lisa

shermur
March 23rd, 2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Lisa! Yes, I did discuss a transferrable home warranty option with my realtor and you're right, it is something we will include! And it's funny you should bring up other's stepping up. I got so peeved Friday evening cleaning and multi-tasking to the hilt to get ready for Saturday morning's showing. DH and teenager just sat on the backsides doing their thing. And then, they were in bewilderment and asked why I was upset? Stress hormones were ready to explode at that point...I'm thinking to myself, "Really, they have the nerve to ask why I'm upset?" and needless to day, I only got an hour of sleep in the wee hours of Saturday morning while others slept....like I said...over-whelming!

BobW
March 23rd, 2014, 12:15 PM
I wish there was something we could do other than willingly listen to you let off steam and keep our fingers crossed that all will work out in the end. Just remember that it is hard to eat an elephant in one bite, it is much easier to eat it in smaller bites. And if it gets overwhelming, take a bit and go for a walk or a drive and decompress.

ilive2craft2
March 23rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
I have a feeling that your family does not "see" all of the stuff that needs to get done. Making lists of what needs to be done and having them each pick some stuff from the list would help them to "see" what needs done. I have to do this with my dh - he doesn't understand that once you start cleaning or repairing, you see more cleaning or repairing that needs to be done. Painting the living room means also painting the hallway and all of the trim in both areas.

I used to get upset about it, but since I start listing out all that needs to be done, he either jumps in and knocks items off of the list or tells me I am being unrealistic and some of the items don't need to be done.

Marty
March 23rd, 2014, 05:21 PM
I have moved 11 times. (Hubby's job) I understand where you're coming from and sympathize completely. It is always overwhelming but once you're settled in your new place it will be wonderful.

shermur
March 23rd, 2014, 09:01 PM
Steam venting over....no more updates then....:(

ilive2craft2
March 23rd, 2014, 09:07 PM
Vent anytime you need to. I have found moving across town stressful - can't imagine a move out of state!

shermur
May 17th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Well, the frustration hasn't really lessened much....we've dropped the price 4 times since our home was put on the market and no offers. We can't seem to find a rental or a lease with option to purchase in the area of Arkansas we need. And the only way we can get a home is if ours in Lee's Summit sells?
Right now, I am now looking for rentals in Oklahoma just across from Fort Smith....DH came home last night after being gone two weeks and not happy he has to do some outside chores around the house. Still so uncertain what the outcome is going to be; I just know I hope it's worth all of the sacrifice our family is going through. Not to mention the risk of financial ruin if our house doesn't sell and no place to go to down south. Hopes are fading each day.....

WendyI
May 17th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Well, the frustration hasn't really lessened much....we've dropped the price 4 times since our home was put on the market and no offers. We can't seem to find a rental or a lease with option to purchase in the area of Arkansas we need. And the only way we can get a home is if ours in Lee's Summit sells?
Right now, I am now looking for rentals in Oklahoma just across from Fort Smith....DH came home last night after being gone two weeks and not happy he has to do some outside chores around the house. Still so uncertain what the outcome is going to be; I just know I hope it's worth all of the sacrifice our family is going through. Not to mention the risk of financial ruin if our house doesn't sell and no place to go to down south. Hopes are fading each day.....

I can't imagine how stressful this must be for you. You really do need to talk to your family about helping you. Make lists as suggested and tell them to pick their share so that you are not doing everything.

As for selling, have you considered hiring a staging company? There are lots around these days...if not, do a web search on ideas for selling your home. Also, look around your neighbourhood and city/town for homes like yours that are for sale with the same amenities....make sure your house is priced appropriately. Sometimes pricing too low can also turn buyers away too! Finally, make sure your agent is doing their job. Explain that you are on a tight deadline and you need your house sold by X date or you're going to have to go with another agent. My experience with agents have not been great so maybe I'm cynical? If you have an unreliable agent, this could be part of the problem. If my agent did not show up to take pics when they said they were going to I would be furious. Just a few things to think about.

And vent whenever you need to!! We're here for you! xox