PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday - I smell onions!

Blondie
May 18th, 2011, 08:00 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/gm/gmtr.gif

Good Wednesday morning, Ladies!

Still a bit soggy here, and chilly as well. However, the weather folks are calling for lots of sun and warmth by the weekend. And as for onions? Well, my husband is in an organization that sells Vidalia onions each year for a fundraiser. He arrived home yesterday evening with 50 bags of those yummy alliums. I love Vidalias. But the 50 bags were not just for us. We put aside our 2 bags and then tagged the others so he could deliver them today.

Yesterday was a pleasant and quiet day for me. I made several little items for the friend's shop. I have also been working slowly on the gourd birdhouse. I wound up sticking the paper mache covered gourd in a slow oven to help dry it. I will try to remember to get some pics. I would've had some to share but as with everyone else here, it has been so overcast and rainy that I can't seem to get a decent pic of anything.

Later this morning I am going over to a friend's house to dig up some plants that she is sharing. Since our rain is more in the way of sprinkles today, I will be there rain or shine!

[B]Nancy, I feel for your friend with the water which is too close for comfort. Many times I have been thankful that we live high. Although, we too have had water in the basement - not too much but any is too much. It spurred me to keep my fabric is totes on pallets. The slope to our basement really needs some terracing to keep it from coming in under the door.

Jan, thanks for letting us know how Gina is. I am sorry that the apt didn't work out - good thing she had Mom to be able to take she and Abby in. Let her know we miss her as well. She is in my prayers daily.

Everyone else - have a great day. Stay dry!!

Granny Judy
May 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Up early, getting a jump start on cleaning up and putting away til after the Week end. Will continue working on the pinwheel quilt. doing the head part now. Body is finished.. and I have the plans for the border.. Just no time to get it all done.

It's suppose to be a Dry Day and temps in the upper 60's. I could use some sun and fresh air, so will do a bit of outdoor work.. cleaning off the deck and patio. MAYBE??

Hope eveyone gets a big share of Sun and Drying out.

Loonwatcher
May 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Morning All. Dreary and rainy but a little less so. I'm not getting any project done during the week but am looking forward to some LAQing on Saturday. Blondie, I need some sun for some pictures too. It's a bummer when you finish something and can't get a good photo. What are you making for the shop?

Have a great day everyone!

Sandy Navas
May 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Partly cloudy - storms brewing just west of here. We can use the rain . . . hope it doesn't bypass us this time.

I spent yesterday cleaning our garage - six months of slinging things out the door during the winter months finally caught up with us. I also had two of the little DGDs over to help me 'detail' the windows in my SUV. What a hoot. And, of course, one was truly upset that she didn't earn as much as her big sister who was mowing for us. Anyway, this old body got through all the lifting, dragging, picking up in the garage. But, after sitting down for lunch I found that I have muscles that I haven't used for a while. Oh, did this old lady ache and pain!!

Have to make a big batch of biscotti this morning to fill up Al's biscotti jar. Then I'll have another couple DGDs over to detail the pick up. Wonder if that will go well or not? Hope I have enough money to pay!!

If the weather holds I'll get some more work done outside - finally getting my 2010 FALL cleanup done. I vow I won't be so lazy this fall.

Hugs to everyone. Blondie, share some of those wonderful onions. Love them!!!!

bakermom
May 18th, 2011, 01:53 PM
WooHoo! sunny and 70 today! DH may be able to mow down the hayfield that's pretending to be our yard.

toggpine
May 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hi All!
I have morning chores done at both farms. One nice thing about this job, I am able to put up some milk in the freezer for later. I'd use it for our house milk, but one of the does likes to put her foot in the bucket. She's a new milker, and she is getting better. Today she only tried once. So I bring the milk home, strain it twice, then pasteurize it, and freeze it. If I have one of my young does that doesn't come into her milk right away, I can pull this out to use. Worst case scenario, I'll pull it out of the freezer at the end of the season and feed it to the chickens or the pigs we hope to raise this summer.
We are supposed to be in the upper 60's today and possibly see 70! I'll be pulling some weeds in the veggie patch this afternoon. I'll also be trying to get the sunflowers in without the birds digging them up right behind me!
Blondie, I have a great recipe for sweet onion relish if you are interested!
Gonna try to finish the last border on the quilt today. I did get the last half of the other one done yesterday. My usual afternoon sewing time has been taken up with the extra stuff over at the neighbor's farm. There is sooo much to do, I have trouble deciding where to start. I tried to start her lawn mower, but I couldn't get it to kick over. I think I'll put the halter on one of the horses and let him out to "mow" while I do a few other maintenance things around there. The only problem with that kind of mowing is the clean up afterwards! He doesn't seem to come with a mulch setting!
You all have a great day!
Cathy

bakermom
May 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Aw come on Cathy, you don't appreciate the fertilizer your 4-legged mower leaves behind??

debinmalaga
May 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
:icon_wave: Hope everyone's having a wonderful day. Cathy, you've done enough work for three men today! You always impress me and make me feel awfully lazy for sitting on my bank job all day :o

Blondie, I'd love to let you take some plants out of my yard. EVERYTHING that can be divided, needs dividing. My azaleas need a big pruning and it sounds like you'd know what to do with all those cuttings. Wish you were close enough to shower with hostas and ferns and daylilies too, lol.

Blondie
May 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hi Ladies
Have dinner cooking and thought I would peek in real quick.
Sandy, I would love to share these onions. They really are so sweet and no heartburn!
I would love for you to share your biscotti recipe! Talk about yum with coffee.
Cathy, yes, share your sweet relish recipe. I make a few types of relish each year and always on the look out for a good tried and true. My hot dog relish is easy and good. I have actually sold it at fairs in years past and still get phone calls each year for some. And Cathy, I wish I could get some of your road apples or whatever you call your manure. I need to get in touch with a friend who keeps me supplied for this season.
I didn't get to dig up flowers this morning. The gal let me know she still had standing water in her yard from this week's rain. Once again, glad I am high. She must not have good drainage, I am thinking.

Okay gals, later. I smell the food cooking and I am starving!

toggpine
May 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM
We have goat berries here. The neighbor has the horse apples. I can drag the rake over the pile of goat berries and nicely distribute them down in the pasture grass, the horse piles have to be picked up or they will smother the grass under them. It takes about a year for the manure pile to break down. By the second year it is a beautiful dirt-like compost that the gardens love. (I can't believe I'm talking about animal poop on here.) We don't have enough room for a horse here, nor the budget. We are thinking about adding pigs, but only because we can eat them! If I can keep the goats milking all winter (and me wanting to) we might get a calf early next spring for beef. Maybe. They are really hard on a pasture.

I have a ham in the oven. It should be done by the time Honey is home. Em and I will head over to evening chores at about 5 so we can be home for supper and get our own farm work done before too late. Than maybe I can squeeze in a few quilty seams!

I'll dig up that relish recipe for you. I think it's written in the back of my favorite cook book, or on the back cover of the Ball Blue Book.
Catch you all later! C