PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl In the Fridge

toggpine
March 6th, 2014, 06:12 AM
This is not another post about the horrible weather that is dumping more snow and ice on our eastern friends. Hopefully you all are tucked snug and warm in your beds piled under your lovely quilts.
This second round of antibiotics and steroids are finally catching up with me. Good news is EVERYTHING in my house has been put through the laundry, my poor house-plants have all been groomed, the counter-tops scrubbed and the floors washed. I am also able to fight off the plague & anthrax for the next few days. (I really shouldn't read the info sheets that come with the meds.)

Anyhow! I have my mom coming to farm-sit for us this weekend. I realized I needed to clean out the refrigerator so she didn't end up in the hospital with food poisoning or something awful. I found a container of homemade butter cream frosting at the back of the fridge, and I can't even begin to tell you the last time I made icing. It was a brick! Thankfully most things were not horrible or fuzzy, but I do feel better knowing that what ever she finds in there, it will be safe to eat.

What is the oddest thing you have found in the ice box recently? Could you even identify it, or was it safer to just chuck the whole container?
I'll tell you about the zucchini Dad left in the outside fridge one of these days. (It tried to get out of the fridge by itself!)

I'm done for the night/morning. See you all on the flip side!
Cathy

Bubby
March 6th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Jeff keeps his cigars (which he only smokes on hunting trips) in the fridge. Depending on what season it is I have found turkey beards and feet with the spurs in plastic bags in the fridge. For those who don't know, wild tom turkeys have a 'beard' that grows out of their chest. Longer and thicker beards are more of a trophy for the hunter. Occasionally a hen turkey will grow a beard. Right now we have two wood ducks and a mallard waiting to go to the taxidermist in our garage fridge.

MayinJerset
March 6th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Only strange thing in the fridge is the soup I made with tortellini in it. Left it in the fridge overnight for next day's lunch and the tortellini grew from small filled circles to huge mushy ones. DH loves it but he isn't eating it fast enough for me because I shiver every time I see it lurking and growing in the bowl so it's going down the drain this morning.

Quiltfreestyle
March 6th, 2014, 11:06 AM
We went on vacation once & I didn't clean the fridge before we left. When we got back there was a giant mutant vegetable in the crisper!! I don't remember what it was to begin with, but it looked like every veggie had merged together & grown a green fuzzy coat. Disgusting!! Won't do that again.

Annette Ackley
March 6th, 2014, 11:15 AM
OMG, Bubby that is funny!! I have a steak that is getting rotten by the minute. My DH wants to use it as bait for Coyote hunting. If you DH is that much of a turkey hunter, have him check out out website: usahuntingear.com We make turkey gear like pot call pouches and roll up pouches and decoy bags. Our stuff is all over the US. A couple years ago we had such a bad winter, our dog passed away. We couldn't bury him. So we put him in a garbage bag and put him in the freezer until Spring thaw came. Nothing like having a dog in your freezer!!!

Hulamoon
March 6th, 2014, 12:52 PM
OMG, Bubby that is funny!! I have a steak that is getting rotten by the minute. My DH wants to use it as bait for Coyote hunting. If you DH is that much of a turkey hunter, have him check out out website: usahuntingear.com We make turkey gear like pot call pouches and roll up pouches and decoy bags. Our stuff is all over the US. A couple years ago we had such a bad winter, our dog passed away. We couldn't bury him. So we put him in a garbage bag and put him in the freezer until Spring thaw came. Nothing like having a dog in your freezer!!!

lol I put a pet a mouse in the freezer.

Quiltfreestyle
March 6th, 2014, 12:55 PM
lol I put a pet a mouse in the freezer.
I hope he wasn't alive! LOL

rebeccas-sewing
March 6th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Yes, I believe one of our rabbits went in the deep freeze until Joe could dig a whole in the ground, and the girls were ready for the memorial service they prepared. hahaha

toggpine
March 6th, 2014, 01:52 PM
OK!
You top Step-Dad's zucchini! He got it from a friend who must have had them over-running his garden. I'm guessing it was about 18", but over the years it has gotten bigger with every telling of the story. Zucchini wasn't a favorite veggie in our house so it just went into the outside fridge were we kept extra items and the beverages cold during summer.

Now, my guess is Mom figured since Dad brought it in the house he ought to get rid of it. Dad had given it to Mom to deal with, so he was done with it, and of course none of us kids wanted anything to do with it in the first place.

Over the course of the summer it went from plump and shiny to wilted, to wrinkled, and one day the insides worked through the skin and headed out of the fridge door. STILL nobody touched it, we just gave it a wide berth and continued on. For some reason it didn't smell, which is probably why it was left to do it's thing. I finally caved in and cleaned it up since I had friends coming over and didn't want them grossed out. By the time I go to it, I was able to peel part of it off the shelf like contact paper. I did have to soak the rest of it off.

Not nearly as exciting as finding pets and turkey parts in the freezer though! You all went way beyond the fuzzy veggies!