PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Greetings

Blondie
March 5th, 2014, 07:56 AM

Happy Wednesday Folksies

Today will be a busy day for me with running errands, keeping a close check on the Moms and hopefully playing around with some blocks later today. The roads have cleared, school is in session at usual time. We have school on Saturday this week as a make up day and everyone is worried about the second round this week that is supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow. I declare if it keeps giving us weather during my work days I may give it up! Good grief, it seems as if over half of my winter has been fruitless in that regard . . . on the bright side - and you know I will always find the bright side - I've been able to make fun things, spend a bit more time with The Man, Mom and Middle Son. Notice I didn't mention the time I spent doing housework. Last night I literally attacked the oven. Note to self here, remember to mention to husband that casserole dishes come with a lid to keep the contents inside the casserole. And since I can't take all the horrid oven cleaner fumes, I always make up my own concoction of baking soda, dawn dish liquid and vinegar. Works like a charm every time.

Okay folksies, I made a promise to myself yesterday to finish the binding on a big quilt and stay off of the computer today. The only time I don't feel guilty about being on the computer is when Luscious is home. For some reason, he always thinks that whatever I do is just fine.

Think Spring, and remember if you keep your mind and fingers busy you are sure to find a smile in there somewhere today.

Monique
March 5th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Good morning Blondie. I may have converted one of my fellow workers into being a quilter. I have loaned her the two cd's of Quilting Quickly. She may have been bitten and smitten.

Work, work and more work, that is the story this week. Next week we have Maizyn for the week. I am looking forward to having my wee girl here all to myself for the week.

Have a great day everyone.

buckeyequilter
March 5th, 2014, 08:26 AM

Good morning....

Like Blondie, I am so ready for spring. DH said that we are supposed to get more snow this week-end...NO, NO, NO!!!

I'm going in to work an hour late...just because I didn't feel like getting ready on time. At least my boss understands that because he'll come in late and tell me...I just didn't feel like getting up this morning.

I love the daily deal today....I was telling myself NO...while my fingers were pressing the checkout button.

Tonight I will start the binding on the other practice quilt I made and then move on to my March UFO.

Well need to get in the shower....have a great day! Prayers and hugs

This is how I feel today:

Bubby
March 5th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Morning Everyone,

My garage door is still frozen shut. It's supposed to warm up some today so maybe it will thaw out. Jeff worked 5 hours over last night. Dottie has a hard time with that...no attention from Daddy in the evening. She goes on high watchdog alert when he's gone at night. A doorbell on TV can raise her from a coma! My DD had a doorbell and Dottie remembers it well. Nothing phases Olive.

Wishing everyone a good day. Stay safe and warm.

dwil23
March 5th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Good Morning all,

More painting to be done today. Still battling the smell of smoke. I have tried everything, so now I guess I will be repainting the wall, too, with Kilz. Last week I spent $132 at Home Depot - the majority of it products that were supposed to get rid of smoke odor and so far, no go. Time to raise the white flag.

Anyway, I also have to try to convince Momma Kitty that she really needs to move her four babies into the shed so that they don't get wet when it starts raining tonight. It will then turn colder (not that cold, but for babies it will be too cold). I made a box with towels in and took her in there yesterday to see it. She couldn't get out of there fast enough, but hopefully she will remember it's thee. I'm afraid of her rejecting them if I handle them. Don't really know what to do. Any advice? She is friendly to me - in fact she insisted I come and see them the other day. I was amazed how she kept meowing for me to follow her and if I stopped, she circled back to where I was. She definitely wanted to show them off. I think she trusts me, but I really don't want to mess that up.

Hope everyone has a Blessed day - stay warm and inside if you can. Great time to do some quilting!

P.S. "Marilyn Rose" may be delivered today!

MRoy
March 5th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Good morning! My left arm (elbow) is throbbing this morning. I did some exercises using hand weights awhile back and hurt myself...it feels like tennis elbow. Exercise is supposed to be good for you, but that session sure wasn't. I keep straining my arm although I try to be careful about using it. Even sewing makes it hurt.
I'm planning to start on taxes today, should've already been started. But now that I'm not working I have lots more time during the week to sort receipts, add numbers, cuss, discuss,...etc. It's just a matter of taking that first step. Our county road has been scraped twice but there are still a few slick spots so I think I'll stay in one more day to give it time to clear off, then I'm going to town just cause I can.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 5th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Hi everyone! Donna that story of momma kitty is so sweet! I hope she finds a good place to raise her brood! Our Donna from Crazy Mountain, Mo. Is a good one to ask, she's had litters delivered in her lap by a momma cat who really trusted her!

I seem to be accomplishing very little towards finishing any of the three or four quilts I've started. Yesterday, I picked up the new insert for my Janome sewing table that would fit around my Horizon 8900. The one for the 7700 wouldn't fit around the 8900s free arm. It fits the free arm fine, but it is 3/4" too wide to fit into the table opening. I'm not sure what can be done other than rout out a bigger opening in the table. My dealer and I will figure it out.

I delivered my Xs and Os quilt last night. My friend brought her little girl, who was interested in everything going on in this sewing house. She tried to count the sewing machines. I think she missed a few! Her mom pleaded with me to help her costume the show she is directing. She assures me she has gathered all the needed pieces, all I need to do is organize them. Oh, OK, I'll do it. Besides, this group gives a small stipend for their people, that will make it less painful! It overlaps another show I'm costuming, plus I'll be gone on vacation for a week, but it should be simple to do.

Want to get to working on Block B of my tripple Irish Chain. I used Eleanor Burns method, with a paste up of what components go into each block. I don't think I would need to do this for every block in many quilts. But for this one, where the main block is made up of 49 squares, it really did come in handy! Great technique! Rebecca recommended the video, and I am so incredibly greatful for the hint!

Hope everyone thaws out, maybe we'll actually see all of the grass soon! My lawn people put down fertilizer last week, it's under the snow, feeding those hungry grass roots! Being watered in by me,ting snow, excellent!

Carol336
March 5th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Good morning.
It's gonna be chilly today, but the sun is shining and that makes me to happy and energetic!! Which is a good thing, because I have lots to get done today. We're heading out for the beach tomorrow for our dance group's weekend getaway. Now I have to tell you, we love to dance, but 3 nights of it is a little too much for these old legs. We'll be staying in a big house with 2 other couples (our dear friends) but will go up to the hotel (where the event is actually held) every day for dancing, and lessons, and just plain fun with the gang. We do a version of jitter bug/bop called "Hand Dancing" What that means is a slowed down version of the dancing of our youth. It's heartwarming to see all those seniors out on that dance floor. We have a couple of folks who are nearing their nineties and still going strong.

So - packing today, taking care of loose ends around the house and with my backpack ministry....and somewhere in there I need to get to church for Ash Wednesay....2 services today - noon and 7...so I should be able to do one of those.

I made some pj pants for DH during the snow storm on Monday - he's wearing them so I guess they're ok. Also made some place mats and a spa wrap (didn't turn out so well) for myself. Will now close down the sewing room (kitchen table) for the weekend.

Have a GREAT DAY everyone.

MayinJerset
March 5th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Good Wednesday everyone, Another day with sunshine and no snow so it's a good day for me. Don't think snow is expected this week, looks like some rain on the weekend but that's OK.

This weekend I plan to be in Manhattan as part of the 2 day "The Kitty Genovese Memorial Conference 50 Years Later" telling my few memories of Kitty when we were kids and in high school back in Brooklyn, NY. We weren't close friends but I do have a few specific memories of her. Never thought when I replied to Catherine Pelonero's inquiry if I knew Kitty that it would lead to so many activities. She included my memoires in her book, I was interviewed by Fox TV News and now participating in the memorial conference this weekend. One last thing will be writing my memories for a Memory Book being complied by Fordham University Professor leading the Memorial Conference.

Big plus is that my DH, DS#1 and DS#3 will be there with me. I will meet Catherine Pelonero in person as well as Kitty's brother Bill and maybe some other family members. Sunday's conference begins with Mass at Cathedral of St. Paul and I hope we find a parking space so we can attend, if not we'll meet with everyone after Mass at Fordham. Been an interesting few months to say the least. Also brought back many more memories of those days growing up in Park Slope section of Brooklyn, of family, old friends and things forgotten, most good and some not so good but then that's life.

Sandy Navas
March 5th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Guess who I get to visit with today?

Jean Sewing Machine
March 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Guess who I get to visit with today?I have Jenny Envy! Have fun!

Mpyles
March 5th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Good morning everyone! Sounds like lots of you have lots going on!! Boy jean! You sure have more energy than me!! You need to bottle it and send me some!! Blondie, I was watching dr oz yesterday...and basically he was telling us exactly what you tell us everyday!! Happy people live longer!! I so enjoy your daily reminder to smile more, be the bigger person and be be happy!! Today my gratitude is for blondie! For keeping me in the now!! Donna, I don't know about those kitties....but it sounds like mamma is proud of them...how sweet! Sandy...have fun at your BOM with jenny! DH is suppose to take me up this weekend...trying not to get to excited until I am actually in the car headed there...things happen and don't want to set myself up for disappointment. May..enjoy your conference and meeting the family and author. Sounds interesting! Carol....dance dance dance!! So good you have this healthy hobby!!

Yesterday I needed to go in to springfield to the LQS and pickup my block of the week..and a marking pen! Jake, my lab just kept giving me the "take me with you stare" the entire time I was getting ready...so I did. The BOW that I am doing is by the same designer that sandy is doing with jenny...here's a link it the finished product....One Wonderful Winter! Wall Hanging (Block-of-the-Week) (http://www.kimberbelldesigns.com/shop/BlockoftheWEEK/p/One-Wonderful-Winter-Wall-Hanging-BlockoftheWeek-x2403428.htm) my LQS stamps a card every week you complete it and at the end you have a 25% discount on anything in the store. I have enjoyed it.

Yesterday I cooked a new recipe.....orange chicken...it sounded absolutely delicious...and this where I tell you it was.....NOT... Oh my...it was horrible! Thank gosh for the chocolate and banana cream pie I made or we all would have starved to death!! Today I hope to quilt a table runner for my sil that is spending so much of her time with my mil. Then get to work on a jo Morton prairie rose BOM quilt I am doing for my jo Morton club. I definitely have enough things going.....almost to overwhelmed status...I just have a little OCD.....and don't like to have the unfinished lying around....I feel as if I am being wasteful or frivolous when I do. Oh and my pin cushion...for the swap...need to do that to get it off in the mail.

Guess I should get a move on! Everyone have a great day!!

lilmouse
March 5th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Guess who I get to visit with today? Sandy, that is just so mean; especially when we have been getting some snow every night......!

EsGrandma
March 5th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Sandy - no fair! Enjoy!!

auntiemern
March 5th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I was gonna try to sneak out there and surprise you, but didn't get home until the wee hours this morning...not up for a 5 hr drive on no sleep. Have a blast though and know I am green with envy.

Simply Quilting
March 5th, 2014, 03:08 PM
I've been out of the house already this morning and back in, the snow is back again. It is suppose to be up the 60s next Monday. I'm ready for some sunshine and it to be dry enough for the children to be able to get out and play.

We came home last night from vacation and managed to get everything unpacked and put away so the only thing left is laundry, which will have to wait til tomorrow. The children have piano shortly then off to volunteer at the local food pantry this afternoon - we are making volunteering a family affair today.
Tonight is evening church activities. Then if I have any energy left, I will bring out the stuff to start working on quilts again. I've got a couple to bind and an Irish chain that I need to get the strips cut.

Sandy have fun and be safe. I dropped by yesterday on the way to Mom's house and it was very busy.

I love kittens. We use to have them all the time on the farm growing up.

toggpine
March 5th, 2014, 03:16 PM

I guess there has to be an up-side to living in Missouri. It certainly not the weather! :icon_giggle:

Have fun lady! You know I'd be right there next to you if the commute wasn't so bad!