PDA

View Full Version : Gifts of the Night Owls

toggpine
March 4th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Ok, that title is kinda hokey.

It is getting to the birthday party season for all of the school kids. I am at a loss of what to get some of these kids. I think I have found a few "winners" and want to share and see what you have found for some of the "types" that I don't have much experience with. (Things that are electronic, require copious batteries, or make obnoxious noises are not really welcome.)

Generally -
Almost any of Ed Emberly's drawing books Amazon.com: ed emberly books: Books (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=ed+emberly+books&sprefix=Ed+Emberly%2Cstripbooks%2C1075), a ream of copy paper, and some new pencils, markers, or crayons.

Books, if you call & ask the parents what the kiddos like to read, or what's OK in the house.

As crazy as this sounds, the biggest hit of my 8 year-old daughter's gifts has been a medium-large cardboard box and 7 fairly large plastic dinosaurs my sister bought for about $1 each. Less if she had a coupon for Micheals or JoAnns. I imagine that plastic ponies, farm animals, etc. would work too. I'd also throw in a package of washable big markers for decorating the box.

Girly-girls -
I have had luck making some stuffed animals. (I also made an alligator for a younger boy who liked to play pirate.)
I am at kind of a loss here since my girl isn't too girly.

Boys -
Legos have always worked, but they are getting kind of expensive. (There also a ton of different themes and I'd hate to buy the wrong one.)

I usually make a tote to put the gift in, that can work as a library bag or to haul stuff in the car.

So what do you have that has worked for those kid gifts? I need to add to my arsenal!

bubba
March 4th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Have you been to Lock Blocks out in Fife? I think that's what it is called. I believe it is on 70th Av E and they have a big warehouse where you get things for about half what they are in the store. Before Christmas they have special sales and we always make sure to hit them up then.

toggpine
March 4th, 2014, 02:20 AM
Thanks,
Ahh. Mega Blocks. Mom goes there as she lives in Edgewood, right above Fife. I'll have to see if they are open beyond Christmas.

I figured that with all of the grandparents and aunties we have here, there has to be a few sure-fire ideas, beyond just quilts. Especially for those of us with limited experience with boys or girls, depending.

auntiemern
March 4th, 2014, 02:22 AM
I don't know about yours, but my girls are in to anything Monster High. Art and craft supplies are always a good bet as well. Fingerless gloves and tie dye. MineCraft any thing for anyone (more so boys) between 10 - 12. My youngest one wants charm packs for her birthday, and a JR..go figure. (Gran will only let her shop my stash so much). My little guy is in to anything with wheels. Matchbox and Hotwheels. Monster trucks and motorcycles. I guess what I am saying is you know your child and their friends best. It is a good bet if your child loves it, her friends will too.

Hulamoon
March 4th, 2014, 02:56 AM
I'm a crafts giver too. Never fails. I just bought these 'color a mug' cups at the craft store. They have some on ebay. It's the plastic ones where you insert a coloring page inside. You can make your own, if you go to the cross stitch section they have them. My uncle made some for us. Yeah, I had a 65 yr old uncle that cross stitched. lol

Oh and you can switch them out, so you can reuse them.

Kgrammiecaz
March 4th, 2014, 03:16 AM
I am big on getting books for kids. Since I do not always know which to get, i will give a Barnes and Noble gift card. Or a bookstore near them if they do not live nearby

stationarymom
March 4th, 2014, 03:54 AM
i used to give book store gift cards to friends that i didn't know that well. i know at xmas duct tape was a hot item so i bought that and a craft book to go with it for my nieces. good luck

redcaboose1717
March 4th, 2014, 04:29 AM
A Book Store Gift Certificate, if I know the teenage girl really well, a gift certificate to a nail salon. Most of the time I shop at this great Toy Store here in the town I live in, and they have books and toys for all ages.

If I don't know the child very well, I usually put money in a card....with a note that they can use it to purchase something. A lot of people tend to give gift certificates or money to kids 8 yrs and up in our family. ( kids are into video games )

If it's a teenage boy, a gift certificate and a subscription to a car magazine ( if they are into that )
When giving a couple a baby gift, ( and I won't mention the recent problem I just had over a gift that probably cost me my BFF ) I usually take a gift up to the new parent(s) or send something to them, and I usually purchase clothing bigger than 6 months old as the new parents get so many small size clothes for gifts. If I have time, I also make a "bunting " out of fleece for the newborn too.

My favorite thing to give kids under 5 ? Card games ( matching things ) color books....and a small box with a few safety suckers and 25 pennies ! We have a store here in Michigan ( Meijer ) which is similar to Wal-Mart and Meijer has horse rides for just 1 cent....I think that is one of the FAVORITE gifts the kids like.....

One of my favorite books is this book by Richard Scarry . It's a book where the child has to find a little "Gold Bug ".....My first neice wore out TWO of these books ! ......( If you want to know the actual title PM me and I will let you know )

For kids under 6, I find out if there's a book the kids want, and record the book with me reading it to the child ( I ring a little bell that let's them know it's time to turn the page.). I have done this for years for my nephews, nieces and now on to grandkids and great nieces & nephews ......The parents love it as much as the kids !

Hulamoon
March 4th, 2014, 04:34 AM
I gave I Spy books to all the kids last Christmas. One of the uncles wouldn't stop looking at them for the whole night. lol.

Amazon.com: i spy: Books (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=i%20spy&sprefix=i+spy%2Caps%2C533)

There are a ton of Bingo games that are super fun. My SD's mil brought one at Christmas called bird Bingo and all the kids really had a lot of fun, even the young ones. There are lot's of kid one's though,

Amazon.com: bingo: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A165793011%2Ck%3Abingo&page=2&keywords=bingo&ie=UTF8&qid=1393918507)

MayinJerset
March 4th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Lots of good ideas from the gals. I really like the I Spy books and will get a few for upcoming Bdays. Books have always been big on my gift list for kids, parents give me ideas of the kids' current interests. Barnes and Noble gift cards are always welcome by grandkids, great nieces and nephews and the adults in our family.

Since we have 8 grand girls a big hit was going out to lunch and shopping with grandma and grandpa - they got to be special for the day and more important they choose clothes they liked.

GSArcher
March 4th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I have 4 girls. They are everything from Tomboy to Girly Girl. They all love crafts and books. We have had a lot of birthday parties over the years. My girls like to make something for their friends.

Here are some of the things we have made over the years:
knitted or crocheted hats, scarves, bags, etc
ribbon decorated headbands, clippies, barrettes, etc
princess crowns and fairy wands
doll quilts and rag dolls
collections of friendship bracelets

I hope this gives you a few ideas. If you know of something the child collects (I have one who collects owls and one who collects monkeys) it is always fun to make a theme gift around that.

Hulamoon
March 4th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Jenni just reminded of something I used to buy my girls. I would get them at Borders, but of course we don't have one anymore, or any bookstores for that matter :(

Anyway, it's the Klutz book kits. I probably went through ten of them. nail art, clay, paper flowers, etc. They even have some for boys.
Amazon.com: klutz: Books (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=klutz&sprefix=klutz%2Ctoys-and-games%2C297&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Aklutz)