PDA

View Full Version : Monday - just embrace it ( x tra long post warning )

Blondie
March 3rd, 2014, 07:44 AM

Happy Monday, Folksies!
Yes, it is Monday. The weekend is now a memory and it is now quite a nice memory. We shall see if I feel the same way tomorrow about today. We are in for weather - wintry mix and in general, the scarey stuff we dread. Prayers for everyone's safety today. I fully expect school to dismiss early. We are hoping that it really doesn't ice us over and lose power. Yuck.

Okay, here is the extra long part of the post. I received this email and just HAD to share it here. I normally don't fwd emails, but, heckfire shoot! I could've written this one. And quite naturally, I really needed to read it myself.

A Psychologist walked around a room while teaching Stress Management to an audience.

As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "Half empty or Half full" question.

Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired:
"How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter.
It depends on how long I hold it.

If I hold it for a minute,
it's not a problem.

If I hold it for an hour,
I'll have an ache in my arm.

If I hold it for a day,
my arm will feel numb and paralyzed.

In each case,
the weight of the glass doesn't change,

But

The longer I hold it,
the heavier it becomes.

She continued,
"The Stresses and Worries in Life , are like that Glass of Water...

Think about them for a while and nothing happens.

Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt.

And

If you think about them all day long,
you will feel paralyzed
incapable of doing anything....!!!"

Remember to put the Glass Down

Blessings to each, have a marvelous day, and SMILE!

Suzette
March 3rd, 2014, 07:49 AM
That was a wonderful Blondie! Really puts it all into perfect perspective. And boy oh boy, no one carries stress better than a woman! I am going to remind myself daily to 'put the glass down'! :icon_happy:

Bubby
March 3rd, 2014, 07:53 AM
Morning Blondie,

I just came in from taking the Girls out. It looks like its 4 degrees and the wind is blowing so hard you can't see your hand in front of your face. It snowed gently all day yesterday but we didn't get a huge amount on top of our ice. Jeff says he's going to work today but I wish he would reconsider. The schools are closed until further notice.

We had a decent weekend. Jeff carried my Sashiko machine into the kitchen and I played with it for an hour or so. Talk about a different type of sewing machine! It sews from a bobbin only - no spool of thread and the needle isn't threaded. It works with a horizontal latch system. I'm still so glad I bought this machine even if it just makes one stitch and can't go backwards! I found a Sashiko friend here on the forum and we've been sharing ideas. Mostly she has shared with me, but she got me enthused about my machine again.

I attacked a corner of the sewing room yesterday and got rid of a lot of papers and sorted through my scrap bin. Where did some of my oddball fabric come from??

I hope everyone weathered the storm without losing their electricity or mishaps.. Have a good Monday everyone!!

EmmaB
March 3rd, 2014, 08:06 AM
Good morning Blondie!

The last band of snow is moving through my neck of the woods right now. Yesterday we received 3"of sleet throughout the day. If I ever get another dog I think I'm going to train it to go in a litter box! My boss called me last night and said not to come in until 10:00. I'm wondering if I will get another call telling me not to go at all. We have a foreclosure sale scheduled for today and I have to "cry" the sale. I'm hoping he calls it off today as I don't want to stand in front of the courthouse (which has closed for today) and freeze my hiney off. The wind is brutal out there. Thankfully, we have kept our electricity. I have two small bags of various blocks and material my aunt brought to me so I may go through it and see what's there. Finished my quilt yesterday and I need to see what I want to do next!! I've seen all kinds of things I would like to try but want to get my sewing skills better. The goodies in these two bags will be a give me some good practice.

Happy day to all

EnumclawGramma
March 3rd, 2014, 08:35 AM
Good Morning! Thanks for that Blondie. Words to live by. I tend to carry a water jug with me at times.

They predicted snow for here yesterday and I don't know if I saw even a flake. It sure did get cold tho! Oy! Not sure what today will bring, most likely rain and more rain. But as I always say, that's not snow so I'm not going to complain.

Went to see "Son of God" with DS and his entire family of 5 well behaved kiddos. It was well done, long but well done.

Yoga this morning. Then the usual Monday stuff. I've gotta finish my coffee and get moving. If I sit here too long I'll loose my initiative! Hugs/prayers to all who want/need. Make it a wonderful Monday, beginning of a new week AND a new month!

Monique
March 3rd, 2014, 08:44 AM
Good morning folks. Another bitter cold morning. Work today until 1. I will catch up to you all later.

Have a wonderful day.

dwil23
March 3rd, 2014, 09:07 AM
Good Morning all,

Sorry to hear you are all having more bad weather - I know you are really weary of it by now. We are supposed to have heavy rain and cooler temps starting Wednesday.

I went to my new house last night to feed the kitties that were left behind by the previous owner. I knew the female was pregnant and I didn't want her to be hungry. When I got there, I didn't see her, but when I shook the bag of food and called her, she came running - minus kittens! She grabbed a quick bite and then disappeared back by the storage shed. So, I'm anxious to get out there this morning and see if I can get a peek at them.

Hope everyone has a Blessed Day - stay inside and warm if you can!

carrie liz
March 3rd, 2014, 09:49 AM
It is really cold here in Houston. We came down in the RV to help our DD through a mastectomy. She is doing great but needs rides to doctors visits and help keeping the household chores done.i contacted bhaggerty to see if we could meet somewhere. It always sounds like so much fun to read about other forum members meeting. We worked it out and had a great time together. We shopped for fabric and then had lunch at a soda shop. DD found another quilt shop and wants to join us this week. It is interesting how much we all have in common when we love colors and fabrics.

have a blessed day.
Carolyn

MayinJerset
March 3rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Still snowing and my coffee is still dripping so I'll hang out here a bit. Enjoyed Guild meeting yesterday afternoon with a presentation by a gal from the Modern Quilt Guild. Not sure when her chapter is located as the presentation began before I got there but I think they really keep in touch by computer, phones and Instantgrams (think I have the right term). She showed slides of many quilts from a recent quilt show, most using small squares or strips of solid bright colors with a solid background in medium or dark tones. Was interested to see how she quilted the backgrounds of her quilts and the ones I could see had small swirling designs. Orange was used a lot in her and the slide show quilts. Got a few ideas but wonder when will I have time to work on a Modern quilt as I'm behind in making a traditional quilt for our guild's upcoming show in May.

DH is skipping his morning math class, icy snow is expected to fall until afternoon. This semester he hasn't been going to the main campus but attending a nearby extension center but still not worth the trouble of getting there on icy roads. I'm also staying in getting ready for tomorrow night's Story Weavers small group meeting. Since it's March I'll put out my green tablecloth and St. Patrick's Day table runner and make some Irish Soda bread to go with our Irish Breakfast Tea. Been doing some cleaning out in my sewing room and have a bunch of patterns, books and a workshop tote bag to donate for quilt show raffle baskets. One of our 8 members is co-chair of our Guild's quilt show and she'll take them off my hands tomorrow night. No wonder I'm not finished with my quilt show quilt, I spent too much time clearing out. It is also a good time to clear out old magazines as they are a big seller at our shows.

shermur
March 3rd, 2014, 10:19 AM
Morning! It is so cold here and I do not want to go to work...I have no idea how the streets are. I just know I keep hearing cars spinning their wheels when they try to get up the incline outside my kitchen window,,,,UGH! I still have a lot to do with the house ready for the realtor to take pics.
And...no school today!

MRoy
March 3rd, 2014, 10:20 AM
Good morning! It's 18* and we're "crusty" here this morning. Ice, sleet, and snow formed a crust that I can walk on without breaking through...and I'm not a lightweight. LOL! We still have power which is great! But the gas heater in my studio is acting up. It's about 45* out there so I may have to move my machines to the house if it doesn't start working better above pilot. I've always thought that the mix of propane and oxygen is a little lean on gas, but DH didn't agree. We may see now who's right.

Everyone stay safe today and put that glass of trouble down like Blondie said!

buckeyequilter
March 3rd, 2014, 10:43 AM

Good morning....

I think I'm trying to hurry spring along!! I am so looking forward to seeing my flowers blooming and opening the windows and doors. This has been one long, cold, snowy winter and I'm ready for it to be over. I also noticed how light it was at 7 a.m. when I got to work....that will last until Sunday and then it will be dark again, but that won't last too long :)

I took the 2 practice quilts off the frame yesterday and got them trimmed up and have the binding ready for one of them and will put that on tonight. I hope to get the other one finished tonight too. I will just put the binding on by machine since these quilts will just hang around the house for general use. If I have quilts on the back of the sofa and my niece and her daughters come to visit, one of the first things they do is cover up with them LOL

Well need to get busy...have a wonderful day!!! Prayers and hugs

Mpyles
March 3rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
Good morning everyone! Wow blondie, that's some inspiration for the day! Some that I'm surely need to follow. I have a tendency to carry things around with me! Gonna try putting the glass down!!

I am on vacation!:icon_woohoo::icon_woohoo::icon_woohoo: I can't tell you how grateful I was watching that sleet and snow come down yesterday knowing I didn't have to go out in it, go to work and fight labor during it or when the snow plow guy for the lots at work texted...deal with that...I just forwarded a number it him and said on vacay!

Yesterday I was so productive! I cleaned my kitchen from top to bottom, removed the leaves from my kitchen table to free up space. Cleaned living room floors, vacuumed the furniture from all that yellow lab hair, dusted, had chili on in the crock pot...so dinner was a breeze. Then last night went into my sewing room and worked on a block of the week...which required paper piecing...which I managed, hadn't ever done that...it was fun. Still have some to do on the block. Fell into bed around 10 and slept like a log!! DS has no classes today...as all the schools and colleges canceled classes today....so get to spend some time with him. He is a joy to be around..my little cracker boy. DD will be home Thursday night...so get to spend some time with her as well. Shaping up to be a great week!! Today...I am gonna clean out the master bedroom closets...I haven't ventured up there in years...and I told DH that I would probably rid us of all of it...since I haven't needed anything up there! If I do that, then I can get some of the stuff out of my sewing room closet and make room for sewing related stuff! I have a plan!!

Well that was prolly a lot of info that most of you don't wanna know...but that's what's happening in my neck of the woods!! Everyone have a great day!!

Cathy F
March 3rd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Morning all,
Well we didn't get the amounts of snow the weathermen were hyping, we got maybe an inch or two and I'm definetly not complaining.
Blondie, I'm one who tends to carry the glass too long. If I didn't have a profession I could be a full time worrier, I tend to worry about everything, not something I'm proud of, it's just the way I'm wired. Will try to put the glass down more often!
Since I've been housebound with bronchitis I've been spending more time up in the sewing room and almost completed a tumbler quilt top with 2 charm packs that were the daily deal about 2weeks ago. I need to order matching yardage for the borders. I only see pre-cuts of this line, says fabric yardage will be available sometime in March, so I'll have to be patient.

Simply Quilting
March 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
Good Morning Everyone :) :) Blondie thank you for the words of wisdom. I seem to carry around the glass for way too long and then my body really does pays for it - fibro flares and migraines.

We are on vacation and I am enjoying every bit of it. On Saturday, we packed and throughly cleaned and scrubbed the house. So I get to go back to a completely clean house. (YES!!! I always love coming home to a completely clean house.) Yesterday we left with only 3 inches of snow on the ground and cleared road. With what weather was predicted, we weren't sure if we were going to make it to our destination (wasn't as bad as what was predicted) but we didn't start running into the really bad weather until about 15 miles from where we are staying. For the fourth straight year, the time of our vacation time has a winter storm. So nice we don't have to get out in it.

My plans today are to swim, enjoy the hot tub, water slides and spend tons of fun time with my children and husband :)

Have a safe day everyone :)

Sandy Navas
March 3rd, 2014, 12:58 PM
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mt0-3aAP_FIOfuKl329WDDQ.jpg

That's the size of the glass I've been carrying around. Thanks for the reminder to set it down . . . now if I can just keep that front and foremost when things get hectic around here.

STILL no luck with the computer system on my long-arm. Al and I went down late Thursday and picked up a supposed 'new' screen (tech support insists this is the problem we're having) and it doesn't work, either. And so, we'll be expecting the UPS guy with another replacement today. Talk about an expensive paperweight!!!!! So, wish us luck.

My truck is still awaiting a call from the shop - the mechanic who does the specialty work was up to his eyebrows with another job and still hasn't finished. Sure hope they can get me in tomorrow - after all, I have a trip to make on Wednesday. Hamilton here I come!!

Guild meeting for tonight has been cancelled due to the weather. It's -2 degrees out and schools have been closed. The roads sure appear to be clear though - go figure.

I think I'll spend the day sorting patterns and doing a bit of scrap sorting before turning on the sewing machine. Got a couple birthday presents completed yesterday. Today I may get the borders put on Miss Amanda's quilt and get it ready to sandwich.

toggpine
March 3rd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Good morning!
I made it through the weekend! We had a belated-birthday party Saturday for my daughter and some of her school friends. We went to the local ceramics place and they each were able to paint a 6" tile that we'll turn into a trivet for the counter/table by adding the flattened florist marbles to the bottom with glue. We only had one kid that won't be invited back. I was truly surprised, as she doesn't behave that way in class.

Saturday night we had the rest of the family over for tacos and much fun was had by all. My sister surprised me with an over-the-top early birthday present of a new mixer. I'm having fun playing with that, almost as much as Emily is with the shipping box it came in. My sister was amazed that Em was more interested in the box than that she had other presents. Never underestimate the power of imagination. Between that box & the herd of plastic dinosaurs she found when we finally made her open her gifts, the TV has been nearly forgotten!

My mom spent the night so she didn't have to drive home in the dark & the rain. So Sunday morning we made blueberry waffles. After breakfast, she and Em put together some Legos before she headed home. I spent the rest of the day trying to catch up on laundry and seeing how big of a batch of cookies I could stuff in the mixer. So far it will hold a double batch of peanut butter ones. Now to see if I can get the pumpkin bread recipe to fit. I packed our home grown pumpkins in the "large can" size since a single loaf never makes it more than one breakfast.

Today is for finishing the chair cushion and the tissue cover. The weather is icky (grey & heavy rain) and I'll only have to go out later this afternoon to help stuff homework and Monday Mail at school. So, off I go to get some stuff done!
Have a great one!

auntiemern
March 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Blondie, did you post that JUST for my benefit. I know, I know, I carry EVERYTHING with me for ever. Hurt...Anger...Loss...And a dozen other things I can't even think of. It is a miracle I can lift my arms at all. I HAVE discussed this with my minister actually. Forgiveness is a big issue with me (if you haven't noticed) I have a very hard time forgiving those, that by their ACTIONS (which in my opinion) have caused harm to others. (take Gabe's abuser for instance). I know, believe me I know, I have a big mouth...that just spews out what is on my brain at the time. No filter here. But I admit that. I admit to all of my shortcomings. I do not blame them on my illnesses, or others actions. My faults are mine alone. No excuses for anything "I" do. I am trying to be better, really I am. My wish is for others to stand up and admit that they to are flawed...and not blame every inconsiderate, and hateful action or behavior on something else. Mine is on me alone.
Now that that is out, I guess I should get busy..no kids today woo hoo (had them all weekend)

Madeforyouinma11
March 3rd, 2014, 04:06 PM
Wow, that really makes so much sense. I've been trying to put the glass down. It's easier for me now than it used to be, but not so long ago I was carrying jugs around with me constantly. Thanks for the post..
Well, I have been cleaning and organizing my sewing room for so long now. It gets put on hold until I get a new piece of furniture and then back at it again. I got my bookcases which helped so much. Now it looks good, but I'm waiting on two, 9 cube organizers that I have on layaway. I think when I get those, along with a 6cube that I already have, my room will be complete. Can't wait to post pics!
Today I am going to do some sewing. I am going to quilt Julia's "Pinwheels in Preview" quilt. I also have to start on a blanket for a customer using the leftover pieces of sweaters and sweatshirts that I have from when I made her pillows.
Hope everyone has a great day!