PDA

View Full Version : Question about alarm systems!

rebeccas-sewing
March 2nd, 2014, 02:41 PM
I'm looking into alarm companies to set up a monitored system in my home. I want to make sure I go with a company that has a good reputation. I'm looking for reviews on monitored alarm systems but I'm not feeling confident about the sites and their reliability. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a company that they trust in terms of response time if there is a break-in, etc.? Should I contact our local police department to ask them for advice?

bubba
March 2nd, 2014, 02:55 PM
Having worked at 911 for close to 31 years, I would recommend that you choose a local company. A lot of the big companies have a central office that could be several states away from you and by the time they get your activation and then call it into the proper agency, sometimes five or more minutes have passed. I don't know if Sonitrol is a nationwide company, but it is about the best one in the area I live in. They offer alarms that have speakers in your house and they can actually tell if someone is inside or not and what they are saying. Also, I would suggest not getting a silent burglar alarm, because you want something that is going to scare them away. As soon as they hear that alarm go off, they will run! We have an alarm on ours, but it is not monitored thru a company, just one we installed ourselves. When it has gone off, the neighbors have called it in. If you live in an area where you have close neighbors, you might consider this.

Give your homeowners insurance call, they might know who to suggest. Make sure you call after it's installed because it will lower your rates.

Sharyn J
March 2nd, 2014, 02:57 PM
I have ADT on my dad's house and I am pleased. If anyone goofs up on setting or releasing the alarm, the company receives a silent alarm and will immediately notify you so you can let them know if it's a mistake or not, otherwise, the police will go to check. They keep a register of phone numbers (that you provide) for emergency contacts and you can handle your account through their website. They have always been on the ball in responding to alerts and very helpful in managing my account. If you need help or answers to questions, they have a good support team to walk you through anything you need.

The alarm is not silent. It will speak to you if you leave a door or window ajar. There is a panic alarm as well which is silent in case anyone ever forced you into your home and make you disarm.

The rates are quite reasonable and there are many monitoring packages available. Check with your Homeowners. They may have recommendations for you.

bubba
March 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
Something else I forgot, in this area due to the large population, we don't even respond to a burglar alarm unless there are two activations in separate zones and the alarm company has made at least two calls to reach a subscriber. Also, the first false alarm is free, the next one is $50 or $75, and it goes up from there until you have not had one for six months and it resets back to zero. ADT is a good company, as someone said, but they do not have a local monitoring office here. One company, whose name escapes me, is in Minnesota, so there is quite a delay in getting calls from them.

Carolyn
March 2nd, 2014, 04:22 PM
Alot depends on your local police force, hopefully they are better than ours at the time! For some reason our alarm went off when we were not home. It was Christmas time and we had a life size Father Christmas complete with a large walking stick and bag of toys on the landing of the stairway. Needless to say he did not respond when told to "drop everything". He required lots of work to repair. Them explaining what happened was priceless.

rebeccas-sewing
March 2nd, 2014, 04:28 PM
Oh my gosh! Are you serious, Carolyn. That's hysterical!!! hahahaha Thanks for all the advice, gals.

Carolyn
March 2nd, 2014, 04:42 PM
Oh my gosh! Are you serious, Carolyn. That's hysterical!!! hahahaha Thanks for all the advice, gals.

Very serious, sad to say. This is also the sheriff found along side the road in his own handcuffs and his car and gun gone along with the prisioner that was in the back seat. We don't live there anymore.

rebeccas-sewing
March 2nd, 2014, 05:19 PM
Glad you moved. How horrible! Thank goodness he wasn't killed.

redcaboose1717
March 2nd, 2014, 06:08 PM
When my sister & mom owned a small restaurant here in our area, they used a well known private company here in town. We do have other larger well-known companies as well here in town that are good companies, but this is a privately owned company that has a great reputation. They were quick to respond to the one and only break in the restaurant had...( it was teenagers that broke in thru a window ) .
When my DH & I were looking to buy our second home, we looked at a home that was for sale that was owned by a son of the people who owned this smaller alarm company here in our town. We were amazed at the different things that were installed in the house....everything was up to date etc.
The cost of the monthly service wasn't bad either ......We didn't purchase the home.
I know quite a few people ( and businesses ) that use this small privately owned company here in our town, and if I were to have an alarm system installed, I would use this company. I truly believe in dealing with privately owned businesses.

Mchelem
March 4th, 2014, 03:54 AM
We use ASG at our home and office.

We have alarm monitoring on the windows and doors, as well as motion sensors in key spots and glass break sensors (we have large French doors on 2 walls of our dining room), we also have cameras at both locations and our smoke detectors are incorporated into our home system.
They are reasonably priced, and I like the fact that I can use my phone to set/unset my alarm, and view my cameras. I get a text when the alarm is set or unset at both locations, and can set up user codes-it tells me "alarm was disarmed by john smith" so I know who is entering/leaving the house or office. It also sends me a text if there's a power failure, or a tamper with the alarm system, or if an alarm is triggered. And it's wireless, so a burglar can't cut the phone lines and interrupt the system.