PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Secret Santa Swap

Rhonda D. Matzker
March 1st, 2014, 08:26 AM
It is now March so I thought this would be a good time to bring it up as I am hoping temperatures have cooled regarding last year's swap (so please don't bring it up). I am willing to host this years swap if anyone is interested in doing it this year. If you are, I need you to respond within 2 weeks and also give an idea for a theme for this year's swap. I will be working on rules for the swap. I don't want to see a few people ruin what so many people enjoy so let's keep this tradition going.

Rhonda

Quiltfreestyle
March 1st, 2014, 12:10 PM
I would be interested. I only joined this year so I'm not sure what all is involved, but I would like to know more.

songbird857
March 1st, 2014, 12:45 PM
I'm a newbie as well - definitely interested and would like to know more :) By theme, does that mean theme of fabric, or block, or both? (i.e. snowmen, or pinwheel, green, etc...)

tdimitrov77
March 1st, 2014, 02:13 PM
I am in. Sorry I am not very good at coming up with themes. Thanks for doing this!

Rhonda D. Matzker
March 1st, 2014, 03:46 PM
A theme would be something that each gift would follow. The Santa swap is a year long event with shipping taking place the first part of November. For example, say the theme is colors. I would distribute a list of colors for each month and you would make or purchase a gift or (however many you want to do) that corresponds with that color.

Does that make any sense???

Ginny B
March 1st, 2014, 07:46 PM
I would be interested. I'll put my thinking cap on and try to come up with some ideas. But I'm sure whatever you decide on will be fun.

mommadeb
March 1st, 2014, 07:51 PM
I might be interested but will wait until I see the rules first.

RoseMA
March 1st, 2014, 07:57 PM
Might be interested, just not sure if I can fit it in the budget. I'd have to see what its all about first. :)

Mpyles
March 1st, 2014, 08:15 PM
I'm in! I think it will be fun!

asta
March 1st, 2014, 11:00 PM
Count me in, life is somewhat settled for me now and I am looking forward to this swap!

Jen7
March 1st, 2014, 11:13 PM
Count me in, I sure enjoyed working on all the projects during last years swap. I like your idea of colors, I also think the idea of items might be fun, like 'coasters', 'tablerunner', etc. I'm game for whatever...

bjsmith57
March 1st, 2014, 11:15 PM
I would be interested in participating.

Thank you.

auntiemern
March 2nd, 2014, 12:46 AM
I am always interested in doing a Secret Santa, but after last years fiasco of people bailing with no excuse, and no response to the coordinators, I think it has left a bad taste in some of our mouths. I don't know what kind of fail safe you can have in place to prevent that from happening. When a person is an active member (several posts a day), and then just doesn't follow through...I don't how to keep that from happening again. I think if you are going to do something like this, then you need to have all available info provided to you, upon shipping, let's say by Nov 15th. Including tracking, so you can keep track of who has shipped, and if some one doesn't follow thru, someone else can step up, before the date it should be received. It was just ugly last year. One person finally got theirs (shipped overseas), and other forum members made sure the other one was covered. That is why no one has started anything like this yet. Once bit, twice shy, all because 1 or 2 people that didn't do what the agreed to do. No excuse in my book. I guess I get in, but you really need to be careful...as well as those agreeing to join. JS ....If you can't fulfill your obligation, then don't commit.

craftychris
March 2nd, 2014, 02:04 AM
Rhonda - thank you so much for thinking about doing the swap again this year. I've really enjoyed the last 2 years swaps and made some lasting friendships through them. I can't wait to get started on this year's swap - that is if people are happy to post packages "downunder". The reverse to that of course is that I'll also potentially be mailing over the pond.

As for a theme - I like the colors idea. Or maybe 1 block per month of a specified size - 12 blocks in all. The receiver could then assemble them how ever he/she chooses.

Whatever the theme will be I would love to participate again.

Hulamoon
March 2nd, 2014, 02:16 AM
I enjoyed last year. I probably wouldn't join a block swap. I'll wait and see what other ideas come up. :)

How about an ornament swap. One handmade and one coming from where you live?

kensington
March 2nd, 2014, 02:34 AM
I am always interested in doing a Secret Santa, but after last years fiasco of people bailing with no excuse, and no response to the coordinators, I think it has left a bad taste in some of our mouths. I don't know what kind of fail safe you can have in place to prevent that from happening. When a person is an active member (several posts a day), and then just doesn't follow through...I don't how to keep that from happening again. I think if you are going to do something like this, then you need to have all available info provided to you, upon shipping, let's say by Nov 15th. Including tracking, so you can keep track of who has shipped, and if some one doesn't follow thru, someone else can step up, before the date it should be received. It was just ugly last year. One person finally got theirs (shipped overseas), and other forum members made sure the other one was covered. That is why no one has started anything like this yet. Once bit, twice shy, all because 1 or 2 people that didn't do what the agreed to do. No excuse in my book. I guess I get in, but you really need to be careful...as well as those agreeing to join. JS ....If you can't fulfill your obligation, then don't commit.

Already not going by the rules woman! ROTFLOL. She said not to mention it. LOL. You are so bad. :icon_heh::icon_heh:

Mpyles
March 2nd, 2014, 02:57 AM
I am in with the full knowledge that someone may drop the ball and I might not get my gift! I want to do it for the giving...the receiving is just a bonus for me! Looking forward to it!

Rhonda D. Matzker
March 2nd, 2014, 02:59 AM
I am putting names in a list and working on rules as we speak. If you have any suggestions for rules that you would like to see pm with them and i will definitely consider them.

Shirley
March 2nd, 2014, 10:12 AM
I have had a lot of fun the last two years putting my packages together. And the big bonus was- I've gained a wonderful friend. I'll consider joining- waiting to read the particulars.
People need to keep in mind that they may not receive what they feel is the equivalent to what they sent out. Even though there will will be some sort of theme each month or something similar, people don't always follow that theme.

Leah53
March 2nd, 2014, 12:46 PM
I'm a newbie here so really don't want to impose myself or step on toes but...

I had a craft swapping forum for many years and it was the most fun time for me, to send and receive gifts from all over the country and to making new friends, some of us still keep in touch even the forum ended a couple of years ago. That being said, there are a couple of ways we did the swaps, one was to have a hostess who receives the items plus postage and a $1 handling fee, such as providing the mailing envelopes to remail them, if you sent one you received one, if you didn't send one, no harm, no foul, you just didn't get one. The other was based on faith, if you didn't follow thru with your commitment you were barred from joining any more swaps and there were always ladies who would step up and send an item to the person who didn't get one. It worked well for us and wasn't long before we knew who couldn't be trusted to fulfill their commitment. Just my 2 cents.

I remember one time I busted my butt over a swap on another forum, had to make 7 items, I made 7 pocketbooks, they didn't reach the hostess until a day after the swap deadline, she sent them back, I was heartbroken. The hostess stated publicly that she had received them but late, other ladies sent me an item anyway and I in turn sent them the purse. Their generosity to me was overwhelming.

Now granted their were some who weren't as talented as others but they put in a good effort, we looked at it as a learning curve for them, they could see what others did with the same item so they could perfect on theirs, much like when we look at other peoples designs for quilts. Ask yourselves if it's the gift itself or the love and effort put into that gift. I bring that up in case I join then I just covered myself. lol I would love to join even knowing I'm not as good as most of the ladies here, I would hope they would appreciate my effort and even make suggestions. I know most people don't take "suggestions" well so a simple thank you, your gift was lovely will suffice.

Swaps themes that I have used in the past. Keep in mind that it was a papercrafting forum but they can be altered for sewing.

Christmas box - contains x amount of items, mandatory items....stocking, ornament, chocolate, handmade gift, craft item (scissors, glue etc) and a card, plus 5 other items of your choice.

Inchies Swap - we cut scrapbook paper into one inch square pieces, one woman made a beautiful collage out of them. This could be adapted for 2" fabric squares.

Calendar Swap - We made 6" square calendar pages, decorated, of course, with scrapbook paper, my DH even made everyone a nice wooden calendar hanger.

Sewing swap - for those who could sew, I made hats, others made purses and placemats etc

Mystery box - similar to Christmas box

Card swaps with themes - These could be made with fabric. I just made one with a patchwork design on the front, decorated with ribbon and flowers, I stamp mine on the inside but could be left blank on the inside for a personal note. MSQC sells boxes of quilted (looking) cards, we could make our own better.

Doll Swap - could be Raggedy Ann's, mop dolls, crocheted dolls

We had holiday themes, seasons themes, gardening, beach, flowers, I can't even remember all the swaps we had.

Just some ideas.

Sheena
March 2nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
I don't want to be negative, but I never even got a 'thank you' from the last swap. But I'd like to support you with ideas.
As a general crafter I make many thing and you might like to include some;
Knitted gloves/socks/hat
pumpkin
handmade book
'flowers' theme
soap, bathbomb, potpouri
15 costcutting ideas
20 animal jokes
urban myths
I used one FQ as inspiration
6 ideas for teenage quilts
traditions from my area and how to use them today

Those are just some you might or might not use.

Quiltfreestyle
March 2nd, 2014, 02:47 PM
I'd like to join with the full knowledge that I may not get anything too. I know how life can jump up & bite you in the behind when you least expect it. I'm doing this to hopefully make a new friend.
That said, I like the idea of colors or different blocks each month. The ornament idea that Hulamoon mentioned is intriguing too.
Looking forward to seeing the rules & requirements.
Thanks for taking this on. :-)

auntiemern
March 2nd, 2014, 03:57 PM
I like the idea of a monthly themed or just making sure there is a minimal one gift per month. Not everyone celebrates the same holidays, but seasonal would be nice. I also like the idea of a specific craft item per month, but that could get costly. What ever you decide I'm good. Gloria, I really am bad...I only pretend to be good ;)

Rhonda D. Matzker
March 2nd, 2014, 04:20 PM
Gloria, I really am bad...I only pretend to be good ;) Ain't that the truth!!! LOL

Monique
March 2nd, 2014, 07:48 PM
Congratulations on this undertaking. I enjoyed last year's swap immensely. Even if my parcel was sent in plenty of time, it still took two months to get to its destination. There was absolutely no reason why it should have taken so long. So expect delays when shipping. I wish you all the best Rhonda in organizing this swap.

tennesseesews
March 3rd, 2014, 12:06 AM
Depending on the rules, I would also be interested. New to the forum and have never participated in something like this, but it sounds like fun!!

Rhonda D. Matzker
March 3rd, 2014, 05:30 AM
The 2014 Secret Santa Group has been created. There is a rough draft of rules in the discussion area for review and suggestions. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Kwhit05
March 14th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I'm interested in participating. I'm a newbie and I'm definitely going to need some help. Let me know if it's okay for me to join still.

bonniebella
March 14th, 2014, 08:25 AM
To join in go to Groups, 2014 Secret Santa Swap .