PDA

View Full Version : Houston, we have (had) a problem. Ah, car issues and super cold weather.

RiverMomm
February 28th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Today was cold. I mean, "really, humans were not meant for this" cold. Do I do what I should? (stay inside, warm and snug)? Nahhhhh. Off I go to go buy THREAD. I get a couple blocks from home and smoke (SMOKE!!!) started coming into the car from the defrost vent by the windshield. Real smoke. Like hanging in the air, smoke. This is usually NOT a good sign. I pulled over right away cause, well, I have visions of cars burning up. Grabbed my purse and jumped out. And stood there.

Did I say it was cold? 0 degrees F, not counting the wind chill and here I am without a hat and wearing jeans (just so you know, jeans are NOT winter clothing). It took me a few minutes to figure out how to open the hood but all looked ok by then. Called CAA (AAA but Canadian style) and was told the tow truck would be there in 60 minutes. ("60 minutes?!? Really? Like an hour??")

Tow truck and English speaking tow truck driver arrived 30 minutes later and let's just say that if it had been much longer, I was going to start really whining loudly. He could tell I was cold (&%$#ing cold) and had me sit in the truck cab while he got my car on the truck. Off we go to the dealer . . . which closed today at noon FOR THE WEEKEND. Thank goodness we got there before they closed (in case you didn't know dealers are mostly closed on the weekends in Quebec but noon?!?)

So the car is sitting at the dealer and they will look at it on Monday. So, I told them to do whatever else was needed-yearly, monthly, whatever check-ups. I mean, if I have to leave it for God knows how long, might as make it worth it.

There is a lesson to be learned here. Wear a hat or have a hat in the car. But at least I had on a winter coat, warm boots, gloves and scarf. But while outside, standing in the cold, looking for the latch under the hood, Canada taught me a lesson and trust me I will listen. Yeah, my ears are still cold. :)

Jean Sewing Machine
February 28th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Glad you survived! I'm often tempted to run down to the drive through in my PJs for a quick breakfast. It would just be my luck something like that would happen on the day I wasn't dressed for being out and about. Hope you can get it fixed easily, quickly and NOT costly!

Sandy Navas
February 28th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Uhhhhh, how many times have I gone through a drive-in in PJs? Never, but I do go out in shirtsleeves in cold weather. Usually have on Berks and do carry a winter coat in the car . . . makes one think and think hard about preparedness . . .

RiverMomm
February 28th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Well, I was mostly dressed for the weather. But if I was going to be outside for more than a minute, I really should have had a hat and warm pants.

And to be honest, I HAVE gone through drive thru in my jammies. But, once you put on a heavy coat, boots, gloves, scarf and ummm HAT, who can tell what you are wearing?!?

Doloris
February 28th, 2014, 10:51 PM
uh, how did you get home from the dealership????? At least there is a hood on my coat, never wear it, but it's there. And I usually have gloves in my pocket. Sometimes I even put them on. :)
Did you ever get your thread. There are priorities you know. LOL

Quiltfreestyle
February 28th, 2014, 11:52 PM
I learned the hard way not to go out in my PJ's. I was taking my my boys to school & had on a really thin, kinda ratty PJ's Sure enough, I got a flat tire on the way home. The spare was flat too so I had to walk the last couple of blocks home in those pajamas. After that I always checked the spare & never left home without being properly dressed. Lol

RiverMomm
February 28th, 2014, 11:53 PM
uh, how did you get home from the dealership????? At least there is a hood on my coat, never wear it, but it's there. And I usually have gloves in my pocket. Sometimes I even put them on. :)
Did you ever get your thread. There are priorities you know. LOL

The dealer has a shuttle and I made it just in time before they shut down (thank goodness). And, NO, I didn't get my thread. I wanted a special color that I have to drive to Montreal to buy (no fabric stores near me). So, I either wait until the car is ready next week (ohhhh noooooooooo, don't make me wait that long), or take my hubby's car on the weekend (I would take him with me but you know how it goes with some hubbies and fabric stores). The only real problem is there is always way too many people in the store on the weekend and I will have to wait (ohhh my) at the cashier.

Gosh, darn, life is hard sometimes.

Miss Sheri
March 1st, 2014, 12:00 AM
Oh my, you gals are giving me the hic-ups! I am snorting with hic-uppy laughter!
Vicky, I feel for ya dear. But like Jean said, and Patt illustrated, (hahaha!) at least you were dressed!
Mother Nature is not one to mess with, especially THIS winter!
Glad you're safe.

MRoy
March 1st, 2014, 01:04 AM
I hope the dealer gets your car fixed soon and I hope your ears have thawed out. I hate driving in a heavy coat, but I keep a fleece-lined long coat with gloves in the pocket in the back seat of the car through the winter. I've not had to put it for the past two winters, but it's there just in case.

redcaboose1717
March 1st, 2014, 01:53 AM
So sorry to hear about this.....I have had "extra" items in my car for years.

Since I have been driving ( long time ....43 yrs ! ...Opps I just gave my age away ! LOL! ) I have always had ( sometimes I have extra items ...in case I have a passenger in the car.
In the trunk :
A warm blanket
An extra jacket
1-2 prs of extra gloves
1-2 prs of extra socks
1-2 scarves to wrap around my face.
1-2 knitted hats
A battery starter ( I can't think of the right name for this, but you plug in it at home, make sure it's charged when you go out, and it will start your car, if your battery is dead )
Jumper Cables
A flashlight
A small bag of kitty litter
In a container in the car ( in the back seat ) :
A couple of bottles of water
2-3 chocolate bars
A magazine I haven't read yet
Some yarn, knitting needles ( so I can make a dishcloth if I am going to be waiting for a long time )
3-4 candy,
My parents started having all three of us girls do this when we began driving. My parents always had extra things like this in their car.

MayinJerset
March 1st, 2014, 04:45 AM
Glad you made to the dealers before they closed down for the weekend.

I keep an umbrella, spare gloves and hat in the car but if I broke down they wouldn't help much during the winter as I don't wear a heavy winter coat and never wear socks. Maybe this is a wake up call to dress warmer and keep more stuff in the car, liked the idea of a few chocolate bars, they won't keep me warm but they'll take the edge off being cold.

EmmaB
March 1st, 2014, 07:59 AM
Lucky you were able to get to the dealership before they closed. But no thread....BUMMER!

CountryHut
March 1st, 2014, 10:25 AM
GREAT list of items to carry -- add to your list
- boy scout shovel - survival knife - lighter or matches - makeup removal pads dipped in wax (for fire starter)*~
- disposable ponchos

one never knows

So sorry to hear about this.....I have had "extra" items in my car for years.

Since I have been driving ( long time ....43 yrs ! ...Opps I just gave my age away ! LOL! ) I have always had ( sometimes I have extra items ...in case I have a passenger in the car.
In the trunk :
A warm blanket
An extra jacket
1-2 prs of extra gloves
1-2 prs of extra socks
1-2 scarves to wrap around my face.
1-2 knitted hats
A battery starter ( I can't think of the right name for this, but you plug in it at home, make sure it's charged when you go out, and it will start your car, if your battery is dead )
Jumper Cables
A flashlight
A small bag of kitty litter
In a container in the car ( in the back seat ) :
A couple of bottles of water
2-3 chocolate bars
A magazine I haven't read yet
Some yarn, knitting needles ( so I can make a dishcloth if I am going to be waiting for a long time )
3-4 candy,
My parents started having all three of us girls do this when we began driving. My parents always had extra things like this in their car.

Hulamoon
March 1st, 2014, 10:51 AM
You could move over here and all you would have to pack is a beach towel, bathing suit and sunscreen :)

bubba
March 1st, 2014, 11:03 AM
I can still remember the last time I was not dressed properly for going someplace in the car. Our oldest was in first grade and it snowed several inches during the night and the school called to say the bus could not make it to our house and we would have to drive about half mile to meet it. So, me in my nightshirt, threw on my winter coat and a pair of loafers over my sock slippers. Well, about three blocks from the house was a little hill. I was driving my little truck and almost made it to the top, but slid backwards. I backed up and tried again, still no luck. I backed up further and floored it........was just about to the top when here comes a school bus SIDEWAYS down the hill headed right for us! I naturally slammed on the brakes which is a bad thing to do in those conditions and we start doing donuts....after about five of them, we finally came to a rest about a foot from a phone pole! I look over at her who is so excited she is screaming lets do that again!!!!! and say, guess what, no school for you today! I managed to get back home and we all went back to bed. That was the last time I was not properly dressed, be it to run someone somewhere or just grab food in a drive thru!

Another good thing to add to your bundle of things in your car is a large three wick candle and some matches. Lighting that and cracking your window just a tad will keep you warm if you get stuck in bad weather. My sister does that when she has to drive over the pass in the winter and used it more than once.

I'm glad you made it thru safe and sound for the most part. Hope the bill doesn't kill you!

Grandma G
March 1st, 2014, 12:06 PM
You could move over here and all you would have to pack is a beach towel, bathing suit and sunscreen :)

You're baaaad!!!:icon_razz:

Simply Quilting
March 1st, 2014, 02:06 PM
Glad you were able to make it to the dealership.

I always try to make sure we have the cell phone, hats, gloves, quilts, food and water when we travel. This winter we have had several days that it would not have taken long to have gotten frostbite if a person would have not been prepared.

tamsterg7
March 2nd, 2014, 03:05 AM
You are a trooper, I would not have lasted 5 minutes in this cold, hat or no hat - except I would have had steam out my ears at not getting to the store for that thread!

dwil23
March 2nd, 2014, 04:16 AM
Glad you survived! I'm often tempted to run down to the drive through in my PJs for a quick breakfast. It would just be my luck something like that would happen on the day I wasn't dressed for being out and about. Hope you can get it fixed easily, quickly and NOT costly!

Made me think of the old Dick Van Dyke show where someone told a story about a Mom stranded in her nightgown when her car broke down. So they write a skit for that nights show. When Rob got home, he found out it was Laura.

Yes, that would be my luck, too.

soul60s
March 2nd, 2014, 11:12 AM

Now Lorie, that is just plain mean. :icon_rofl:

RiverMomm
March 3rd, 2014, 11:35 PM
Yippee! I got my car back this evening. The wiring to the windshield wiper heater burned. So the wiring to the windshield, the wiper heater and the windshield had to be replaced. Ah, remember the good old days when windshields were only glass?!? In case you were wondering, windshield wiper heaters are great for up here in the Great White North where ice tends to form on just about everything. So, even small things, such as windshield wipers benefit from heaters. Lucky for me, this was covered under the warranty.

But, almost better, I was able to go shopping for thread this evening. Yep, picked up my car at 5:30 and went directly to the store and bought thread. I only needed the light green thread in the middle but the thread was on sale. You know what happened next.

PeggyM
March 3rd, 2014, 11:39 PM
Yippee! Glad your horror story ended well.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 3rd, 2014, 11:41 PM
Glad you got the car fixed but more important YOU GOT YOUR THREAD!

Quiltfreestyle
March 4th, 2014, 03:46 AM
Glad to hear there was a happy ending :-)

Monique
March 4th, 2014, 08:45 AM
A good Canadian story. Glad all is well in the end.