PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - it's gonna be a great day

Blondie
February 27th, 2014, 07:00 AM

It Thursday Folksies!

I am working on my second cuppa - slept pretty good last night - I woke up with an old OLD song going through my head - ever happen to you? And where in the world did it come from - certainly from the dregs of my grey cells. Okay, I will tell you. As I was lying in bed with my eyes still closed I could hear Barbara Streisand singing Stoney End by Laura Nyro. Why??? I could remember all of the words, too! Again, why? Interesting thing, the mind. I never get bored because I am good at entertaining myself with lyrics from old musicals, old rock - pop or hard - rarely heavy metal, with a ton of country thrown in.

My excitement for the day will be having one load of gravel delivered to the shop. We haven't had rain in several days, thank the good lord. If you only knew how many tires have spun ruts there since all the rain and then melted snow . . . I need a few more loads than one but heckfire shoot, a gal's gotta start somewhere. Have you priced rock lately? I have my fist in my mouth to keep from crying about how much fabric I could get with that money. Or groceries, or towards a new machine . . . .

Have a wonderful day folksies! If the sun isn't shining outside where you live, make sure it is shining inside of you. Smile!!

buckeyequilter
February 27th, 2014, 07:53 AM

Good morning!! Have a wonderful day!

tennesseesews
February 27th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Good morning, Blondie I enjoy getting up early, grabbing my first cup of coffee, letting my dogs get settled on or near my lap, and reading your posts. You do make me smile; enjoy your new rocks! Judy

Jean Sewing Machine
February 27th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Good morning! Can't decide if I'm calling myself a night owl or an early bird! I woke up about 2:30, sewed from 3:30 to now, and now I want to catch a few more sleepy hours before starting the day.

Going for my mammogram today, always a scary moment to hope there is nothing to be found. I'll accept a prayer or two, just in case!

After that, I hope to be able to do more sewing. I laid out my pieces for my version of Sochi inspired quilt. Why on earth I decided that there should be over 250 pieces cut on the bias I'll never know. Hopefully I can keep it fairly staight!

Have a great day!

EmmaB
February 27th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Good morning! My eyes cracked open about an hour ago but the thought of having to call my dd's first cosmetology school to see why they claim money is owed to them went through my head and I went back to sleep. What a yucky first thought. I would much rather wake up with a song. I guess I was just so aggravated yesterday about the whole thing it carried over. Hopefully this will get resolved today. DD is finally on a good track and she didn't need this. I figure it will be some kind of trumped up fee. I wished she would have never went to that school. Her and some others filed a complaint with the state about the school but nothing was done.

Changing subject cuz I'm getting aggravated and it's too early for that! LOL It's Thursday, the day before Friday!!! This thought will bring a smile to my face for sure. Off to fill up my cup and try to wake up some more.

Have a tremendous Thursday everyone!

MRoy
February 27th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Good morning! Been up since 4 when a bad dream woke me up. Waking up like that isn't a good way to begin my day. Then DH got up as grumpy as an ol' bear so we're really off to a good start! Today is son's 38th birthday. We met half-way for lunch last Sunday to celebrate. The week he was born, the weather was beautiful with temps in the 70s. Today it's not expected to get up to 30. Big difference! I'll call him with birthday wishes later today. Nothing exciting here, just trying to stay warm. Keep smiling!

Monique
February 27th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Good morning all. IT"S SNOWING!! YUCK!! We were going to go shopping today but I guess not. POOP!!

So yesterday I took all my equipment I needed to sandwich the quilt and was so disappointed that the backing was too small. SCHNOOT!! I ended up buying two flannels blankets that I can sew together for the backing. I need to get those washed first. Then I started shopping to see how much it would cost for coordinating fabric for the back. I really want to put flannel on the back because it is so much warmer. More decisions.

I posted in the show and tell the quilt wanting suggestions on how to quilt it. Thank you all. More decisions. I guess today is decision making day.

Have a great day everyone. It looks like I am snowed in today.

jsmetcalf
February 27th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Good morning everyone! Guessing a new "box of rocks" is in my future as well. A gravel driveway does not survive the winter overly well.
Well, on the recommendation of forum members from a few days ago, I ordered and received the Quilt Wizard. So can anyone guess how I spent last evening? PLAYING! My quilting world just expanded once again...much to the dismay of my DH!
Not much going on today...planning to cut fabric for an Ohio Star wallhanging. Oh, and I have to call my former company to tell them that I have decided NOT to take them up on their job offer. I have really enjoyed being "retired" and am just not ready to give that up. My chickens will be happy...Mom will still be home with them! :)
Have a great day and stay warm. The northern half of the country looks pretty darn cold...for yet another day.
Judy

Carol336
February 27th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Good morning everyone. Slept pretty good but woke up with a headache...I'd rather have Blondie's song in my head than a nasty headache. The joe seems to be helping though.

Not a whole lot on the agenda today. I bought some fuzzy fabric to make a spa wrap...think I'll get started on that today. Or not - I also have a stack of click bags to get made and that jelly roll is staring at me.....decisions decisions!!!

Good luck on your mammo Jean....sending up some prayers for good results. I have found the most wonderful place for getting a mammogram. She's an independant doctor/radiologist (or whatever you call the peeps that read the film) and she actually ready the films while you are there and discusses it with you right there that day. No more waiting for a week for the results.

Happy Thursday everyone

HandsOffItsMine
February 27th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Going for my mammogram today, always a scary moment to hope there is nothing to be found. I'll accept a prayer or two, just in case!

So glad you are having the TaTas checked! Good girl!! Prayers of course that all will check out fine. Early detention is key. Mammos are a good thing...

Huggers, Ruby

Jean Sewing Machine
February 27th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Good morning! Been up since 4 when a bad dream woke me up. Waking up like that isn't a good way to begin my day. Then DH got up as grumpy as an ol' bear so we're really off to a good start! Today is son's 38th birthday. We met half-way for lunch last Sunday to celebrate. The week he was born, the weather was beautiful with temps in the 70s. Today it's not expected to get up to 30. Big difference! I'll call him with birthday wishes later today. Nothing exciting here, just trying to stay warm. Keep smiling!My baby girl was born 38 years ago in April! I remember that year as very warm in February , March and April til she was born! Then it turned cold for the month after she was born!

MayinJerset
February 27th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Late getting here this morning, just had first cup of coffee and toast, no doughnuts! Seems I got the Night Owls all yearning for doughnuts the past few nights so I'm going to be good and only talk about healthy foods. Will have a few clementine's later, those little oranges are so sweet this year.

Gotta get my day going, this afternoon I need to get to Staples to make copies of our pillowcase instruction handouts. They'll go to new LQS owner who is interested in our pillowcase project and maybe she will hold a pillowcase sew in at her shop later this year. Also need to compose a Thank You letter to a local Girl Scout Troop who gathered supplies and donated them to our project. They also will get some copies of pillowcase instructions as the girls would like to sew some pillowcases. Really great to hear some good news about kids who are willing to do service for their community.

Bubby
February 27th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Morning Everyone,

We're going to get another Arctic blast starting tomorrow. I'm going to run errands today and we will fill up the gas in our vehicles this evening in case we have to make a run for it. Saturday we are supposed to get bad ice again. We will see. I'm hoping the whole thing misses us. We are still cleaning up from the high winds of last week. It took 11 trees down and broke our patio table and grill. I found heavy flower pots on the far side of the garage. Will this ever end

I have Jeff's Double Slice ready to take to Reggie today if she's home. Jeff is anxious to get it back so I can bind it. I may teach him how to put binding on. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing! Here's a picture of him trimming the loose threads from the back of the quilt. The headlight's a nice touch!

69600 69601

Wishing everyone a great day!

dwil23
February 27th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Good morning all!

Blondie, your picture brought tears to my eyes. It reminds me so much of DD little dog, Dash, that we lost to prostate cancer two years ago. He was not a dachshund, but was often mistaken for one. He was, best we could tell by Mom and other info, an Australian Cattle dog and Jack Russell Terrier mix. Wish I knew how to post pictures. It was this week that year that we knew something was wrong, but not what and began many long trips to the University of Florida vet school for treatment. After a couple of trips, they confirmed it was cancer and that there was not much hope. This dog was my youngest DD's world and I truly feared what would happen to her if we lost him. She suffered from depression during high school and said more than once the only reason she kept going was for Dash. I never added the cost of the bills, it just didn't matter, but let's just say I will be paying them for a few more years. She made the decision to let him go on April 14th. I said many times during that ordeal and since, I just don't know how people go through that with a child.

Well, off to the house again for another work day and to see if a litter of kittens has been born under my shed. Momma is definitely ready to drop them. I tried to keep her in the house last night and she freaked out - don't want to stress her at this time. DD's old Dachshund, Roxie, is going for a dental today, so I always worry about the anesthesia.

Prayers for all - Jean, I'm sure all will be okay with you, but there's always that little nagging thought in the back of your head.

Stay safe and warm!

aliaslaceygreen
February 27th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Good morning! Making my list for the quilt show over the weekend, and deciding whether or not to take my machine so I can sew in the hotel or not.... hmm.... Cold and deceptively sunny, I heard that four letter word out there, but haven't seen it.
My DD is in Southern California for the week for work--training class. Then she is going to San Diego to meet up with my brother and uncle. She texts me yesterday that the class was CANCELLED for the rest of the week because the instructor got ill!
Stranded in SoCal! Cry me a river.... she now has 5 days of vacation before her flight! "I'm going to Disneyland!" lol....

Sandy Navas
February 27th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Hanging around today waiting for phone calls. Still haven't heard back on the computer issue with the long-arm. DRATS.
Hoping to hear from my car repair guy so I can take the Burb in for some repairs.

So, off to stitch for a while. Have a couple things I'm working on. I hate having to juggle time between projects, but that's just the way I work. It seems every time I get going good someone asks for something else and I tend to drop and start. UGH!

Stole Monique's byword this morning. For whatever it means, I like the sound of it.

Doing some hee-hees today. Shame on me. But the kids switched out my washer and dryer when they moved in - high efficiency - high capacity (all those kids do generate a lot of laundry). When Amanda was giving birth I was stuck here with sick kids . . . and that generated lots of laundry (no details) but it involved a lot of bedding. Well, a HE washer doesn't handle quilts and blankets well - and of course when the washer started making odors on Monday, guess who got blamed????? I didn't load the quilts right!! So, in comes the repair guy . . . and the problem was . . . a mitten and a sock sucked into the pump because of overloading. NOT MY DOING!!! Hee-hee!!! Have you ever seen an old lady turn cartwheels? Shame on me for feeling jubilant.

I have the feeling today is going to be a very, very strange day. And so, I will think about 'Wet Willie":

Keep on Smiling LyricsWet Willie
Well, you say you've got the blues
You've got holes in both your shoes yeah
You're feeling alone and confused
You got to keep on smilin'
Just keep on smilin'

Yeah you're 'bout to go insane
'Cause your woman's playin' games
And she says that you're to blame
Just keep on smilin'

Keep on smilin' thru the rain
Laughin' at the pain
Just flowin' with the changes
Till the sun comes out again

Singin' in a honkey tonk cafe
But nobody's hearin' what you play
They're too busy drinkin' anyway
You gotta keep on smilin'

Say you found a piece of land
You're gonna change from city boy
To country man, yeah
Try to build your life with your hands
And just keep on smilin'
Keep on smilin'

Keep on smilin' thru the rain
Laughin' at the pain
Just flowin' with the changes
Till the sun comes out again

You're just hangin' out
At a local bar
And you're wonderin'
Who the hell you are
Are you a farmer?
Are you a star?

Smile on through the rain
Laugh through all the pain
Flow on with the changes
Till the sun shines out again
Keep on smilin', smilin', laughin', laughin'
Flowin', flowin', flowin', flowin'

Wet Willie (http://www.releaselyrics.com/9f4d/wet-willie/)

New York Sue
February 27th, 2014, 12:02 PM
First off, I'm intrigued by Wet Willie...
We'll leave it at that....
While driving to work last night, I drove OVER a dead deer in the middle of the highway, on a blind curve. Didn't see it, until I was on top of it!
Bumpety, Bump, Bump, Bump.
On the under-carriage....
REALLY? Did that just happen?
Now the car (CAMRY) sounds fine, but when I get to work, NO ONE is looking through the world with the rose-colored glasses I LIKE to wear...It's apparently automotive ARMEGEDDON.

JAYZEE! I called the PD, the carcass was tossed off to side. (I checked, on the way home.)

We won't get started on the night we had.....

So, Dear Blondie, I'd LOVE a 'refresh' on today, so far! ;)

Miss Sheri
February 27th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Sunshine, butterflies, buttercups, daisies, ladybugs, giggles, bubbles, blue skies . . . Whoops, time to wake up.
Keep the Happy thoughts in your hearts and make it a beautiful day! Love ya all, ~ Sheri

Simply Quilting
February 27th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Good Morning!!! The sun is shining so beautiful today but it is very cold out. At least the sun looks nice shining in the window :)

Last night I had to go get hubby from work because the truck would not start. So we are going to need to go deal with that later.

Right now, I'm making cupcakes. The plan is to make 96 to have for an activity tomorrow. I have three batches going and one left after the third gets out of the oven.

Shortly, I will be taking the oldest boy to his braces checked. The best part is we can do it in town and not have to drive to the city.

Have a great day everyone :)

rebeccas-sewing
February 27th, 2014, 02:12 PM
We got that first onslaught of rain here in Orange County! Right now I'm looking out the window by my kitchen table to see gray clouds, sun and everything is glistening with rainwater. That cat of ours goes out rain or shine! She wasn't too happy about it this morning but she forged ahead. I'm reading DIVERGENT. The first few chapters I wasn't too sure, but now it's got me hooked. Have a splendiferous day!

Blondie
February 27th, 2014, 02:26 PM
We got that first onslaught of rain here in Orange County! Right now I'm looking out the window by my kitchen table to see gray clouds, sun and everything is glistening with rainwater. That cat of ours goes out rain or shine! She wasn't too happy about it this morning but she forged ahead. I'm reading DIVERGENT. The first few chapters I wasn't too sure, but now it's got me hooked. Have a splendiferous day!

Will be interested to see what you think of Divergent. Middle Son Josh says it is all the rage; supposed to be a movie or tv show soon? I never read The Hunger Games, although my cuz highly touted it. I read more true life mysteries or historical novels, bios, etc. with an occasional thriller thrown in like Patterson or JD Robb

Blondie
February 27th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I just got gravel dumped; have been raking it down in between clients and have to take a breather here. Josh is off tomorrow so he can finish that! Love the headlight look Jeff is sporting - reminds me of my SIL - don't ask ! Oh, and what I wouldn't give to have such a big nice kitchen! Love the jade dishes. I am drooling there. Of course, I know that the double slice is gorgeous from this side of things but I am still drooling . . .

Sue - hoping that your vehicle will be fine and dandy. Here is a refresh button to get you re going -

Jean, hoping by now you are home and feeling better about things -

Everyone else, the sun is shining here but it is still C-O-L-D

Morning Everyone,

We're going to get another Arctic blast starting tomorrow. I'm going to run errands today and we will fill up the gas in our vehicles this evening in case we have to make a run for it. Saturday we are supposed to get bad ice again. We will see. I'm hoping the whole thing misses us. We are still cleaning up from the high winds of last week. It took 11 trees down and broke our patio table and grill. I found heavy flower pots on the far side of the garage. Will this ever end

I have Jeff's Double Slice ready to take to Reggie today if she's home. Jeff is anxious to get it back so I can bind it. I may teach him how to put binding on. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing! Here's a picture of him trimming the loose threads from the back of the quilt. The headlight's a nice touch!

69600 69601

Wishing everyone a great day!

toggpine
February 27th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Good morning!
We have a trip to the dentist & speech on the agenda for the day.

I finished Armageddon's Children. Dang it! I wish there had been a note on the cover that it was part of a bigger series. As I loaded the last disc in I realized that there was going to either have to be some pretty fast resolutions to the situations, or there were more books. I got home last night to check and there are 25 by the author and 3/4 of them are related! Double dang it! Now I have to decide if I want to read them in chronological order or what. There are two lists, one for "new" readers of the series and one for "returning" readers. Sheesh! I'll just go read Em's new Boxcar Children books my father sent her for her birthday. They are all nicely numbered on the spine, no need to think about which order to read those!
I'm working on the chair cushion and tissue cover again today. I didn't get much progress made yesterday, as I spent some lively time with my seam ripper undoing some botched decorative stitching. It seems that the thread spun around the spindle and pulled tight, thus causing the tension to go crazy and eventually breaking the thread. Grrr. Today I'll re-stitch the last bit and have the cushion ties done and be able to insert them into the cover. Here is to hoping that it all goes smoothly!

I'll grab a cuppa and some yogurt and head off to get sewing!
May you all have a fabulous day!

auntiemern
February 27th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Good morning...It is still officially morning. Blondie, I wish I had awoke with a song in my head...nope, the smell of bacon frying. Jean, saying a prayer that your mammo is good. Barb, I have a wonderful set of green (crock I think) mixing bowl that I bought at an antique store at he lake. Super heavy and the biggest one is huge. Love yours. Jeff looks so cute with his light trimming up your threads. We got our new phones yesterday. To say we are both stupified, is an understatement. I am pretty good with the computers, but these mini versions with touch screens, not so much. I may watch a tutorial later to see what all it does. I have the basics figured out, but would like to learn about more about the features. Off to make blocks to send out. Have a blessed day. Hugs and prayers for all.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 27th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Mammo is over, must wait a week for results. At least the big squeeze is finished!

lilmouse
February 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Will be interested to see what you think of Divergent. Middle Son Josh says it is all the rage; supposed to be a movie or tv show soon? I never read The Hunger Games, although my cuz highly touted it. I read more true life mysteries or historical novels, bios, etc. with an occasional thriller thrown in like Patterson or JD Robb

Blondie, I am a BIG fan of JD Robb....love her stuff!

Learner quilter
February 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Mammo is over, must wait a week for results. At least the big squeeze is finished!

Me too Jean, why does it have too hurt so much. :icon_eek: Hope all ladies who go for this get clear results. x

shermur
February 27th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Need strength!!!! It is so frustrating to choose and clean/pack the house to get it ready to put on the real estate market, but I would much rather escape into my sewing room and quilt to my heart's content! Seems so unfair!
So much to do between now and Sunday when the realtor comes over to take pics of the house and the weather is to get ugly this weekend. More winter yucky! the more reason I want to escape into my sewing room.