PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Will Power

toggpine
February 27th, 2014, 02:11 AM
Actually, it should be "won't" power.

I had been soooo good, until today. All of this talk of doughnuts and fresh bread. Ugh!
I loaded up the grocery cart with beautiful veggies and fresh fruit. Then had to make a trek through the middle of the store to the juice boxes (for Em's b-day party). I could smell them. Fresh loaves of french bread that they had just taken out of the oven to slather with garlic butter for tonight's dinner crowd.
I couldn't stop the cart. It headed straight over there, dragging me with it. I sniffed the air as the yeasty aroma wafted over the department. I turned the cart away from the fresh baked bread, and BAM! There were the doughnuts. I couldn't stand it, I caved in and I bought one. A puffy raised lovely, slathered in maple glaze. They didn't have any with sprinkles, or I would have had to get one of those.
I watched the parade of vibrant fruits and veggies march towards the checker on the conveyer belt as I unloaded my cart. Then there was the bag with the lone doughnut bringing up the rear. As she was checking the produce she commented on the variety and I said we were trying to change our diet to contain more fruits & veggies since we felt better when we ate that way. Then came the Maple Monster. She looked at the doughnut and then at me. I'm sure my face went a bit pink. She said "Honey, if a single doughnut is all it takes to keep eating right the rest of the time, ain't nobody gonna hear about it from me!" I told her I bet she saw all kinds of combinations come through her register. To which she laughed and said she could write a book!

So, when your "Won't Power" fades, is there a "go-to" item that you choose, or is it triggered by the power of suggestion?

I have also found that this lovely group of forum friends doesn't just enable fabric addictions, but I still love each and every one of you! Doughnut eating goat photos and all!

ilive2craft2
February 27th, 2014, 02:20 AM
I went to bed a couple of hours ago - not asleep yet and the Food Network was making me hungry!! I flipped channels, but I was still hungry...so here I am on the computer while I eat a small bowl of raisin bran. I really wanted more girl scout cookies, but I had already had a couple earlier tonight. I am diabetic and am usually pretty good about not snacking late at night, but tonight, the tv just kept showing wonderful food. No more Food Network in the late evening for me!

Everything is ok in moderation! I have to have me some chocolate almost every day - usually just a bit - a few mini m&ms or part of a dark chocolate candy bar. I used to deny myself, but then would over do it when I had some. Now I just make sure I count that snack of chocolate or those chips or those girl scout cookies or those .....

Hulamoon
February 27th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Doesn't that fresh baked French bread and Artisian bread smell sooo good! It gets me every time. Except today. I bought a regular loaf of I think oatmeal wheat. The others just go stale in a day and I was spending to much feeding the chickens. lol

I have been buying a few health bars latetly. Not granola but fruit /nut ones. Some with dark chocolate. I was a pastry cook for close to twenty years and really don't eat sweets. Go figure. lol

auntiemern
February 27th, 2014, 03:12 AM
I don't know which one gets me worse, donuts or ice cream. I am a long time donut junkie, and right now could put away the better part of a carton of Edy's Rocky Road. Basically I am a dyed in the wool carb junkie. Not gonna beat around the bush about it. If it is loaded with carbs, I am all over it. It bothers me so bad that I don't have the metabolism I once had. I could eat anything, in huge amounts and never gain an ounce. Then I quit smoking the first time. I got to the heaviest weight ever. (more than my pregnancy weight) When Gabe got hurt, the weight slowly, yet sometimes very rapidly melted away. When I was admitted to the hospital in June, I weighed only a little more than I did in HS. But that was also the last day I smoked. Through the testing, surgery, and post op I continued to gain weight. Four weeks ago I was heavier than I had ever been in my life. So the process began. I am stuck on losing 14lbs. I have had the occasional bowl of cheerios, but for the most part have been pretty good. I will continue to try to lose some more. I know I will never be as thin as I once was, but I don't care. I feel good. And a little bit of padding isn't going to hurt me. Ok, now I want my bowl of cheerio's. Good thing there are no donuts around, cuz I surely would be in to them. Better not to tempt me right now.

MayinJerset
February 27th, 2014, 03:20 AM
No doughnuts or fresh baked breads today although I did have a few chocolate chip cookies this afternoon before DH finished them. As a treat we bought some ice cream for this week, haven't bought any since December or earlier. When that is gone I'll be back snacking on fresh fruits, those little clementine oranges, apples and bananas that are in a big bowl on our kitchen table. Wish I could get DH to eat some fresh fruits but he is too lazy to peel them, he does put canned fruit on his morning cereal, I only buy them with pear juice not syrup.

Think I've had it for tonight and going back to sleep. Night all.

pcbatiks
February 27th, 2014, 03:45 AM
Cathy......you're killing me! :D I'm sitting here thinking I'm hungry & should eat something.........and then I read your post! Now I'm going to eat something for sure!

We don't keep to much snack food in the house because we eat it too fast. But my go to snack when I'm hungry for something salty is usually shredded cheddar cheese & Tostitoe chips or popcorn with parmesan. Sweets are harder to resist....for me it's cookies or.....most recently I decided to try a dark chocolate candy bar. I never like dark chocolate when I was younger but I have grown to like it lately. The one I really like is Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt! Yuuuuummmmmyyyyyy!! Well......guess what I am hungry for now!!!! :D

When I worked as a merchandiser for Hallmark in a few grocery stores.........I would be working away not thinking about food and then like Cathy said........the bakery dept. would start pulling pastries & breads out of the ovens. I could smell in halfway across the store. Now that was hard to resist!

I guess if we all lived in the same town.........we would all run into each other at the grocery store in middle of the night!

OMG...........I am hungry!!

Granny Judy
February 27th, 2014, 04:02 AM
ya had me with the Donut.... I'm Jonesing for one right now, but will have to settle for toast. Maybe slather some jelly on it? That should take care of that sweet tooth. I quilt getting on the scales (except when I go to the doctors) after I had my surgery 3 years ago.. The weight just doesn't want to come off. I'm 30 lbs over the limit for my size and height. But I feel good and the wardrobe isn't what it once was..

toggpine
February 27th, 2014, 04:03 AM
Sorry. I didn't start it.
I blame May with her picture of doughnut holes the other night and then Blondie & the others following up with more doughnut and fresh bread talk the last few days.

FABRIC. Let's talk fabric! Polka dots, stripes, paisleys. 100% cotton. (Is it working?)

Simply Quilting
February 27th, 2014, 04:20 AM
I'm still here when I should be getting to bed. My husband's truck would not start after work so I had to go get him which the very bitter cold woke me up. So here I am trying not to go into the kitchen and get me a late night snack. And what occurs but food conversation. :icon_shake::icon_rofl:

I guess my go to food depends upon what is going on and what is available to eat. My go to sweet is a Hershey's Almond candy bar. If I want sweet but need to make it last and chew - Milk Duds. I love carbs especially homemade rolls. Another go to is tortilla chips with melted cheese and salsa.

I think that I will head off to bed NOW before I go raid the kitchen and eat almost all of the food items or even worse decide to make a late night run to the grocery store.

Granny Judy
February 27th, 2014, 04:32 AM
I found a Caramel chocolate Nut roll...protein bar!! Score!! (ok, so I stole it from my sonIL's stash) He won't miss it, I hope.

Now about that fabric!! Why do the prices keep rising and my wallet keeps shrinking?? I ran out of money again this month... OyVey... I only bought backing fabric to finish up some quilts.. 100% cotton is my favorite kind. I love Batiks but not allowed right now.. my budget just won't stretch that far.

pcbatiks
February 27th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Sorry. I didn't start it.
I blame May with her picture of doughnut holes the other night and then Blondie & the others following up with more doughnut and fresh bread talk the last few days.

FABRIC. Let's talk fabric! Polka dots, stripes, paisleys. 100% cotton. (Is it working?)

Is this the kind of fabric you had in mind?! :D

Oh man..........I have to go to bed before I get hungry again!

dwil23
February 27th, 2014, 06:12 AM
I definitely have a sweet tooth, but my favorite sweet is probably cookies - I love shortbread type cookies the most - like the butter cookies you get at Christmas, Sandies, Biscotti, or scones, but most any kind will do. Strangely, Oreos and chocolate chips, most peoples favorites, are my least favorite.

But, if you are going by a DD, a toasted coconut donut would sure taste good with a cup of coffee when I get up in a couple of hours.

Good night all,

Off to bed before the temptation gets to me..

MayinJerset
February 27th, 2014, 06:34 AM
OK Let's change the subject, I'm interested in modern quilts and thought this is a great design especially for a different looking baby quilt. A female couple I know just had a baby girl and they don't want any girly pink stuff for her and am thinking this would be a good choice, without the pink fabrics and binding. What do you think?69596

Hulamoon
February 27th, 2014, 09:48 AM
OK Let's change the subject, I'm interested in modern quilts and thought this is a great design especially for a different looking baby quilt. A female couple I know just had a baby girl and they don't want any girly pink stuff for her and am thinking this would be a good choice, without the pink fabrics and binding. What do you think?69596

I like it! It would even be easy to carry the double lines all the way around if you wanted. I like modern quilts too.

Carol336
February 27th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Is this the kind of fabric you had in mind?! :D

That's dirty pool!!!!! But, boy do I want some of that....right away thought - cute placemats!!!!

I guess my go to snack depends on the mood....any kind of cheese is at the top of my list. I'm not a big sweet eater, but if it's in the house it'll call my name - especially chocolate. Oh and I stopped bringing peanut butter into the house.....I would eat it by the spoonfuls, slather it on a banana, pb&J sammies, on waffles - well you get the picture.....

toggpine
February 27th, 2014, 02:09 PM
May that is cute! You could take the pinks to the deep raspberry stage and they would still play nice with greens and purples. A print with your other colors would work as well.

I hear you on the budget! I try to set a little aside from each job to play with, but my nice part-time job from last year is getting tighter on her own budget, so that cuts into mine. I did hit J's the other day for some batting with my gift card. I hit the red-tag department (@ 50% off) and found some good fabric there for $2/yd. A bag of poly-fil & 3 yards of batting and that ate up my gift card plus 20. Crazy! I still have some stash to work through, but batting is a necessity.

We switched to the "natural" peanut butter and it's not being eaten in quite the same quantity as the sugar-laden Jif & Skippy. I have yet to see how it works up in cookies.

Hulamoon
February 27th, 2014, 03:47 PM
We switched to the "natural" peanut butter and it's not being eaten in quite the same quantity as the sugar-laden Jif & Skippy. I have yet to see how it works up in cookies.

I love the natural. Have been using it over twenty yrs. My girls never had the name brands, unless it was out of the house. It makes good cookies, not so sweet.