PDA

View Full Version : Oh! What a night!

Divine Daisy
February 26th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Tonight myself and a dear friend of mine went to the theatre to see Paul Michael Glazier in Fiddler on the Roof.

To say it was splendid would be just not enough. It is hard to tell you what a joyful evening it was. PMG was wonderful, his warmth glowed and he was such a gentle man to the others on the stage and especially the children. I didn't realise what a good actor he is (was never a fan of Starsky and Hutch) , his singing voice was strong enough for the part but it was his stage presence was what made him so wonderful in the part.

It was directed and choreographed by Craig Revel Horwood. The orchestra were all singers and dancers too and were on stage............... stunning. But the surprise star of the show for me was the Fiddler. She played that violin like and angel and danced like a Pied Piper while she did it! I could not take my eyes off her, nor did I want to. I have a special place in my heart for violinists because my Grandfather was leader of the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra and he and I used to play and sing together. Tonight he was in my thoughts for the whole performance because this girl was so fabulous and I knew he would have loved her.

The set was extraordinary.

It was a very long performance and we were worried that I might not be able to sit through it all because of pain. So....... Mr Daisy surprised us by changing out tickets to a box! We had a whole box for just the two of us which meant we had plenty of room and I could stand when I needed to and wiggle when necessary. what a sweetheart he is.

Ok ok I will stop boring you but I wanted to tell you all that this production is amazing and if you have a chance to see it..........do!

Blondie
February 26th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Oh Daisy! What a treat! Way back in the 70's I met him at a Disco in Atlanta when I was clubbing with friends. He was a really nice guy - not stuck or full of himself as one would think after Starsky and Hutch - and I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews of this Fiddler. PMG has aged nicely too. You lucky gal! PMG and Mr Daisy in one night; what girl could ask for anything more!

BobW
February 26th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Well good for Mr. Daisy. I hope he gets a cookie or something as a reward. LOL Theater is a wonderful thing and the connection to your grandfather is so heart touching. I'm glad you had a wonderful time and new memories to enjoy.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 26th, 2014, 09:46 PM
How wonderful! Sounds like a wonderful production! As a seamstress and former costumer, you mentioned every production aspect but costuming! But I guess if you've seen one Russian peasant, you've seen them all! So glad you had comfortable seats! That is usually the worst part of long productions, the legs and seat can only stand so much abuse!

Divine Daisy
February 26th, 2014, 09:48 PM
How wonderful! Sounds like a wonderful production! As a seamstress and former costumer, you mentioned every production aspect but costuming! But I guess if you've seen one Russian peasant, you've seen them all! So glad you had comfortable seats! That is usually the worst part of long productions, the legs and seat can only stand so much abuse!

Oh Jean, yes.... the costumes were peasants lol, What can I say.....they were very GOOD peasant. PMG had nice boots on!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 26th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Oh Jean, yes.... the costumes were peasants lol, What can I say.....they were very GOOD peasant. PMG had nice boots on!
Footwear is important! It can make or break a costume!

Sandy Navas
February 26th, 2014, 10:00 PM

Reminds me of a comment made by friends teen-aged daughter after a walk through the Red Light District in Amsterdam. They only took her because classmates had been commenting on it and she just 'didn't understand'. When they got through the street her Dad asked her what she thought . . . her comment? "They really had some nice shoes."

Lucky you!!!!

auntiemern
February 26th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Sounds like a wonderful evening. What a doll Mr D is to change out your tickets. I have heard wonderful things about PMG. I guess they are all true.

Pandabear
February 26th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Paul Michael Glaser as in Starksy from Starksy and Hutch?

Awe..Some!

Ginny B
February 26th, 2014, 11:36 PM
You were not boring us at all! It sounds like an absolutely incredible night for you and your friend. I love Fiddler and it sounds like this was a stunning performance. So glad that Mr. D surprised you with the upgrade to the box.

So glad you shared your evening with us.

ncgrammie
February 27th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks for sharing this. Your post brought back good memories. Many, many years ago I went to the theater for the first time and saw Fiddler. I still love it and own the movie. PMG was great in the movie as well (different part) The music really moves me. I am one of those sick people who feel that life should be a musical. I'm so glad you went and you enjoyed it as much as you did. To Life!!

Monique
February 27th, 2014, 09:18 AM
What a wonderful evening. And wonderful memories.

Carol336
February 27th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Oh wow - what a wonderful evening it must have been. I saw a performance of Fiddler on the Roof many many years ago at the Morris Mechanic Theatre in Baltimore - it starred Hershel Bernardi (sp) and it definitely ranks as one of my favorite stage performances. I'm sure that PMG was simply wonderful in the role. And how about that Mr Daisy - is he a keeper or what. You're a lucky girl Daisy

Simply Quilting
February 27th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Sounds wonderful :) I'm glad you could go and have a great evening.

rebeccas-sewing
February 27th, 2014, 01:49 PM
It sounds like a fabulous evening, Alison! How nice and box seats to boot. Gotta love that Mr. D.! I just googled images of PMG. He looks fantastic. Glad you had the opportunity to see the show. I'm impressed with your granddad's position as leader of the BBC Philharmonic. I'm sure your family was very proud of him. I had no idea you were a musician. How wonderful!

Ahamblin
February 27th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Thank you for sharing. Fiddler is such a wonderful musical and how fabulous to see it with PMG. I must admit that the title of your post made me think that maybe you had been to see "Jersey Boys". A friend of mine in London went to see that a few days ago. Love that one too. My son took me for my birthday and a friend of his is in the road show cast and got us a back stage tour. Don't you love live theater? Glad you had such a wonderful time.

kensington
February 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM
We saw Fiddler at the Dinner Theater in KC a few years ago... a wonderful night of fun and education for dh and I. Loved it. Great story.