PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Greetings

Blondie
February 26th, 2014, 07:36 AM

Happy Wednesday Folksies!

This will be my second attempt at posting a morning thread. Got up to braid my hub's hair, grab another cuppa delish coffee and when I sat down, I hit the wrong key and deleted my entire post. Good grief, Man! Learn to braid your own hair, refill my coffee, put the dog out for her morning stuff and don't speak to me again while I am doing important things like posting a thread. LOL. I can't even remember what I was writing. Probably some drivel about what I did yesterday. Trust me, it was a wonderful day, cake was made and eaten - two of 'em - dinner was well received, bread was made etc.

Speaking of bread - my mother's bread machine is broken, so I helped her knead. Talk about the blind leading the blind! HA! I used to make several loaves a week when the kiddos were young. I enjoyed the entire process and thoroughly kneading. It was a great stress reliever, let me tell you. I loved the transformation of a sticky mess into an elastic-y smooth substance and then the smell of it in the oven was heaven. Eating it was like nothing you can ever get in any store. Even artisan bread made in their commercial ovens.

Makes me think about all the hulabaloo made over hand made vs machine quilting. I wrote yesterday to some friends about my Granny teaching me to quilt. She never even used a sewing machine to make a dress. if she were alive today she would be the first one to teach me to sew by machine. I like to hand quilt, but I am learning to FMQ. People need to realize that even the Lord God Almighty liked diversity - look at all the types of people He created. And He doesn't think one is better than the other.

Have a wonderful day kiddos. I plan on making this one better than yesterday and that was a fairly stellar one for me. Smile a lot. Pay no attention to those who are gloomy gus's. Life is short. Those type of people find that out too late most of the time. Feel sorry for them and give 'em one of your smiles.

EmmaB
February 26th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Good morning Blondie! You are up and at'em awfully early. I'm fixin to refill my coffee cup and get going on my binding. I think I need at least 2 cups in me before I tackle it.

Homemade bread....yum. I've never attempted to make bread. Thoughts of the I Love Lucy episode where she uses too much yeast and its starts rising, and rising and rising....that would be me. I do like homemade bread though and the smell of it baking is just heaven.

Other than going to work I don't have a lot going on today. Thank you for reminding me to make this day better than yesterday.

Have a good one!!!

buckeyequilter
February 26th, 2014, 08:25 AM

Just wanted to say good morning before I head to work :)

Monique
February 26th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Good morning friends. These last two days have been very productive for me. I finished one quilt top and started a second. Today I may try and get the first one sandwiched and ready to take to work with me in three weeks. Yes I work at that post office again. I need to post the first one to get your opinions on how to HAND quilt it. I don't know how to machine quilt YET!! One of these days.

I downloaded the first season of Downton Abbey and I think I am hooked. Today I will download Season 2. Right now I am downloading Dirty Dancing for a friend. She loves this movie almost as much as me but now she needs a dvd of it. We both have the VHS version. So this will be her birthday gift.

Have a great day everyone. I see we got a little snow in the night. Still cold though.

jsmetcalf
February 26th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Good morning everyone! As I was reading Blondie's post about bread I was thinking two things. First of all, today is bread-making day at my house. I'm not the baker, but my DH is! My house always smells sooooo good on bread day. He generally makes 3 loaves - 2 regular sized loaves that we use for the week and 1 mini loaf that we eat as soon as it comes out of the oven. Who can resist the taste of warm, buttery bread! The second thing I thought of was the obvious based on the last two days of controversy. I was wondering if we were under threat of a visit from the bread police because DH uses the dough hook on the Kitchenaid to knead the dough to spare his arthritic hands! :)
I am waiting for the delivery of some ordered fabrics so that I can get started on a project I have been wanting to do. It should come tomorrow so I think I'll use today to clean. Once I have fabric in my hands I get lost in sewing - the cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc. tends to pile up!
Hope everyone has a great day.
Judy

Bubby
February 26th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Morning,

We got about 4 inches of snow last night...yuk! Just when we got the remains of the last storm dealt with! At least at this point we don't have any ice.

Olive is well again. It took a day of me pampering and hand feeding her, but she survived in grand style. All this made Dottie very jealous, so she is demanding attention again this morning and trying to sit on my lap while I type. I wish I could get a picture of this.

I hope to get the borders put on Jeff's Double Slice quilt today and get it to Reggie by Friday. This may or may not happen.

I hope everyone has recovered from the negative attack of yesterday...we're quite a force to be reckoned with when we're being insulted. Hugs, Barb

aliaslaceygreen
February 26th, 2014, 09:33 AM
And if ONLY the people of this world would get THIS---->>>>>>>

Makes me think about all the hulabaloo made over hand made vs machine quilting. I wrote yesterday to some friends about my Granny teaching me to quilt. She never even used a sewing machine to make a dress. if she were alive today she would be the first one to teach me to sew by machine. I like to hand quilt, but I am learning to FMQ. People need to realize that even the Lord God Almighty liked diversity - look at all the types of people He created. And He doesn't think one is better than the other.

....the world would be a better place. But if we can't even accept that people can sew in different ways than "you" think is the 'RIGHT' way, we are not ever going to make headway with anything important!

I am back.
Maybe.
I just need to remember to show up, right?

I need to make a list of where to go in the AM with my coffee and not get sidetracked!

I have three quilt tops ready to load into a box to ship to a LA quilter.... Just need to piece the backing of one. And can I digress for a moment? I needed to get more fabric for this backing. I did the quilt 4 years or more ago, figured I would have to settle on something that blended. So, I wander thru Joann's the other day, find a couple of likely choices, and then, Viola! The SAME fabric I used to sash 4 years ago is still available!!!

Whoo Hoo!! That IS exciting, right? I take it to the cutter, who is thoroughly unimpressed by the fact that they still had the fabric, and that it was something I needed. Ok, obviously you love your job.

And, it was 30% off. That's nice. But it was $9.09, AT 30% off. That is ridiculous. $12.99 for mid-quality JoAnns fabric?? I can buy (and WILL buy) quilt store quality fabric for that price. I am going to the MAQF in Hampton this weekend, and plan on shopping till I drop, and will mostly spend that or LESS per yard.

What are they smoking at Joanns? It is a blender fabric. It's not a special run of a designer or anything.

Needless to say, I bought it because it is the exact fabric I needed, but GRRRRR .....

Ok. Enough... I have a fabulous three day weekend planned....two days at the quilt show and I am off for my birthday Monday with Laylabug----Just have to get thru Wed, Thur and Fri.....

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

GrammaBabs
February 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Ugh, it's 7:37 am, but I'm up to go to Water Aerobics... supporting my 2 DF's who just finished radiation from BC scare..it's a big part of healing, and I can sure use the exercise.. It's ok once I get going:),,,so glad after! GB

Cathy F
February 26th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Morning all,
Well, my eyes are open and I think I'm coming round the bend and starting to feel better. Slept most of the night without coughing, a big plus!
Weather is cold here and they're predicting it will be that way for the rest of the week. So it looks like a good day to stay in and do some sewing. I received the charm squares I ordered from a daily deal last week, and I think it will make a nice tumbler quilt. Love that pattern, it goes together so quickly.
Off for a cup of coffee, hope everyone has a good day!

Mpyles
February 26th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Good morning everyone. I would ask you all to lift my mother in law up in prayer. She was having some reconstructive surgery on her nose after having some cancer removed yesterday. In the night last night she has had two heart attacks and is in intensive care. She was having the surgery in Columbia, MO....DH and I are off soon. She just turned 91 this month and was in fairly good health. I'd ask that you would keep her in your prayers. Thanks so much.

jsmetcalf
February 26th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Good morning everyone. I would ask you all to lift my mother in law up in prayer. She was having some reconstructive surgery on her nose after having some cancer removed yesterday. In the night last night she has had two heart attacks and is in intensive care. She was having the surgery in Columbia, MO....DH and I are off soon. She just turned 91 this month and was in fairly good health. I'd ask that you would keep her in your prayers. Thanks so much.

Praying for your MIL and your safe travel.

CountryHut
February 26th, 2014, 10:41 AM
- - speaking of bread -- I want to know what kind of preservatives are in my bread
-- 69535--

no mole on this bread -- it's not even hard yet either
-- not as of this morning when I took the pic -- been waiting on the daughter to pick it
up - so her and the grandbabies can go feed the ducks

I just might have to go back to making my own bread . . and guess what -- I will be using a MACHINE . . why? -- b'cuz it's easier and faster .. LOL*~

today would have been the 65th wedding anniversary for my parents *sigh*~ . .
I'll give Mom a call today and we'll reminisce about Dad and their life together and of times of us kids growing up -
-- today also marks the 9th year of my #2 sister's passing - she lost her battle with Breast Cancer
remembering Dad - the man should have been a preacher - I remember us kids sitting around the livingroom -- Dad would
read from the Bible -- (especially during the month of May) -- and then ''paint'' the picture of what it all meant - it takes someone really special to be able to read something and then explain it to the point that you can visualize it all --
whereas my sister was waaaaaaay on the other end of the spectrum -- she wrote and published her own chapbooks -- she was what
they called an -- underground poet -- she was friends with the wife of the late Charles Bukowski
**sigh*~ . .

so now it raining and the daughter is here - so off I go to make some breakfast

anyone have a wonderful day . .

''Make it"" a great day

MayinJerset
February 26th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Ah, I do remember the smell of bread baking with thoughts how good it will taste as I used to bake bread quite a bit years ago. I also ate quite a bit too. White bread was great but I loved to make wheat and other grain combos that were so good. Was pretty successful making Italian bread also, sprayed the loaves while they baked for a nice crisp crust. Like most things time got short and kids weren't around much so I stopped baking bread. I did like to knead the bread knowing it was necessary to produce a good bread and also it was a great stress reducer.

I didn't have any grandmothers and my mother didn't bake much so I learned bread baking by reading and a few cooking shows that were on back in the late 60's and early 70's. I remember when I was a kid someone gave us cook book and every Sunday I made the One Bowl, One Egg recipe from it. We really didn't need to bake as there was a commercial baking company outlet and several Italian bread stores near by. Boy did the neighborhood smell great when the commercial bakery was baking apple pies. We bought broken pies and cakes for less than half price and with 10 people in the family it was a blessing. The Italian bakeries always smelt good too, they had loaves of different breads and lots of simple cookies, the almond scent from the biscotti was wonderful but the sesame seeded cookies tasted the best.

PS: Just saw Mary's post and sending prayers for her MIL.
Country hut, Funny how these thoughts come upon us as I've been thinking of my sister Louise who passed 7 yrs. ago in early March, lost brother Richie a few moths later. No great memories popping up right now as they were both troubled and troublesome people but missed by us all as they left too soon as did our youngest brother Augie 25 yrs. ago. May they all rest in peace.

MRoy
February 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Good morning! I slept in this morning. I've strained my arm and it bothered me last night to the point I didn't sleep well. Today would've been my mom's 94th birthday. I miss her but I know she's in a better place. All the bread and cake baking is making me hungry so I'll have to fix myself some breakfast soon. It's cold and snow is blowing here...what a winter we've had!

I took DH's sweet aunt to get her new TV yesterday. She upgraded from an old 25" chunk of lead to a streamlined 32" flat screen and is tickled pink. It was good to be help make her so happy.

Blondie, there is one more thing we can do for (or to) the Gloomy Gus folks. If we're with them, we need to smile sweetly and say "Bless your little heart." Those from the South will know what I mean.

meemeecyn
February 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Good morning, all you special Quilty Buddies. Yes, Blondie.....your thoughts are always right on. How boring this world would be without diversity. We each have so much to offer.

Have errands to run today. They're talking about possible snow squalls, so should get moving. Now that we are both retired, it takes so much more time to get moving in the morning. :) But am feeling so grateful that DH is able to enjoy each day. Me, too. Loving life and all that it gives us......what a blessing! And that includes each and every one of you on this Forum.

Have a wonderful day and keep on smiling.
Cynthia

dwil23
February 26th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Well, got up early to check in here and discovered that some little gremlin (aka cat) had been playing on my computer overnight. Opened 74 new windows. I started closing them one by one and got to 59 when it just froze up. DD told me to force a shutdown, which I did, and I am just now getting it back up after it went through all the scans and virus checks, etc. I still have many of the 389 google icons that one of them added a while back. I delete a few here and there - one day they will all be gone. WHATEVER would we do without our little helpers?

I am getting ready to head out to the house for another boring day. I had planned to leave earlier, but the fog is horrible this morning, so decided to wait it out a little.

Please keep my oldest DS in your prayers this morning. He is at a job interview here in town and then got a call to "stop by" and talk to another architect that he knows and had used as a reference. Seems they may be hiring soon, too. He has a job now, but the layoff rumors are swirling, and he feels he can't wait to see what happens.

Everyone have a Blessed Day!

Sandy Navas
February 26th, 2014, 11:47 AM
There's a bright golden haze on the meadow . . . the sun is out, the world is bright, the day holds promise.

Good times, bad times? Well the good times were yesterday spending the day with family. We laugh, we joke, we cry, we hug, we jump for joy, tell stories of olden days . . . and eat too much.

Bad times? The computer on the long-arm has gone belly up and we've been trying for days to get a solution, replacement, who knows - a run-around that really isn't intentional. Finally last Friday, late, we got an e-mail from someone with the name and number of the person to contact, an actual 'complaint' number, etc. Too late to call. Monday we call - no one answers but left a message. I sat around most of the day waiting for a response (have to be near the computer when the call comes) . . . call returned yesterday while we were gone. DRATS. Another day of waiting around? Hate telephone tag.

And, I've been delaying a bit of repair work on my SUV . . . so trying to get it in for work tomorrow. Had the appointment made and then they told me they have a complete engine repair ahead of me . . . they will call.

Getting anxious about a couple things coming up in the near future . . . AND I'll be back in Hamilton next Wednesday for a day of play with the Doan family!! YEAH!!

The house is rocking and I'm SMILING.

Simply Quilting
February 26th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Good Sunny Morning!!! So nice to see the sun shining. We are off to crack 20 dozen eggs today for the scrambled eggs tonight.
Yesterday when hubby went to go to work, the truck would not start. So I took him to work then picked him up at 11:30 last night.

Mary, I'll be praying for your mother in law.

Homemade bread sounds wonderful. I've not made any for a long time. I stopped completely making homemade bread when my husband could not longer have any do to interacts with a medication.

Have a great day everyone :)

Granny Judy
February 26th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Funny how great minds come together. I was discussing the benefits of homemade bread with DD yesterday and we are buying a new bread maker.. gotta have the right tools for the right job. Progress!! Love it. No way these old hands could kneed bread again.

Saying prayers for all who asked and getting in tune with todays needs. Love the beef stew smell that is wafting thru the house right now.. maybe I should stop and eat?? Naw. just grab a cracker and keep on working on the Dresden plates. I did make a big pot of coffee and got my "fix' for the day. Love that caffeine . Takes me about one pot - 5 cups to get anything accomplished these days. LOL

toggpine
February 26th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Yesterday it was doughnuts, today is fresh bread. Some friends you are, are you trying to kill my self control? Ack!
I have been doing pretty good, but how about yummy crunchy carrots, or crispy celery? A lovely salad of spinach with ruby red tomatoes and spring-green avocado with a couple of slices of grilled chicken breast. That would be helpful.

I'm off to run a few errands that didn't get done yesterday. The gal with the baby goat showed up late, and the whole process brought the neighbor over to see what all of the noise was about. Normally there is a little holler and then it's over. This big, strapping buckling screamed from the minute she picked him up out of the crate, until I had both of his horn buds done. Then he whined when she put him back in the crate. Mr. Tim grew up on a farm, and knew what we were doing, but he said he had never heard such a racket from our place. (Pretty impressive since I've been disbudding our goats for the last 10 years or so.) He thought he ought to come check to make sure everything as OK, and nothing was hung up somewhere. I love our neighbors!

So a few stops to make in the city (NO donuts or bread) and then hit the library for my books on hold, and back to the sewing room. I have the chair cushion about half done, and the pieces cutout for the tissue cover. It's a free pattern from Connecting Threads. I'll let you know how it works when I finish it. If you follow the directions you make two at a time. I only need one, so I had to remember to only cut certain parts. I'm not so sure why that bugged me, but it did.

Have a great one, and perhaps I'll see you at the Night Owl tree!

auntiemern
February 26th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Love me some home made bread. That is what is great about this place. A group of diversified people with one common bond. Sandy, so glad to hear you had a great day with the family. I did too. Took all of them out to dinner for oldest GD's b'day dinner. She was over the moon with her gift from gran and pa. Finally finished up my falling charms quilt for the benefit. It seemed like it was taking forever, for some reason. Will post a pic in Show and Tell. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

Jean Sewing Machine
February 26th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Hi everybody! Here it is after lunch and I'm just saying hello! My grandkids came here before school, today was a day for me to deliver them to school, then I went to my accountant's office at the other end of town to pick up my tax return, then to the computer store to let them look at my computer to make sure the email hackers hadn't left their calling card on my hard drive ( they hadn't!). The tech guy/ genius did a thorough run through and uninstalled and reinstalled stuff and got the computer and its owner all happy again! All for free! I love MicroCenter!

We had quite a spirited discusion about quilting styles yesterday! It showed me how strong this group is as a community! And don't go criticzing our Jenny or her family, or you will be reckoning with a buzzsaw! Chewed up and spit out, I would say! Thanks, folks!

Hope to get a couple of pillow accessories done for my Xs and Os quilt. I was waiting for some border fabric from MSQC to finish the project. It came today, so now I have no excuse! Except I'm now ready for a nap! That may have to come first!

Have a great rest of the day!

Blondie
February 26th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Mary, I am praying for your MIL right now. I've been in and out all day, grabbing a peek at emails and FB and finally pulled up the forum again before dinner. Sorry I missed this earlier.

Myrna, I'm the Queen of blessing hearts. And the recipient generally knows why I mean, bless their hearts. Like tomorrow, I have Vernelle M., bless her heart. She will be getting an unbelievable shade of deep brunette and will be upset that some of the 2 pounds of makeup she has on will get washed off. My goodness, she is really quite passable under that poundage. Go figure, but, bless her heart, she must be really insecure.

Bread making is fun and I do like a bread machine for the ease. May, Mom and I made 2 loaves of rye bread. We ordered the flour from King Arthur's Flour since we can never find the rye here. Being a native of New York, she loves ham and cheese on rye bread. No seeds these days for her. It was delish.

Sandy, I hate that you are having such a terrible time with all of this stuff! Where's my magic wand?

MayinJerset
February 26th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Blondie, I visited the King Arthur's shop last summer and brought home some of their special flours. Our supermarket carries King Arthur's while and bread flours but not rye and wheat. Big place with a café and plenty of flours, mixes, baking supplies, dishes, pans, etc. as it is a tourist stop. Trying to remember just where it was, maybe in Vermont or upstate NY. DH says I take you places but you can't remember where you went.