PDA

View Full Version : New Glasses....finally!!!

pamipatch
February 25th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Well it's been bedlam here, changing my kids school, juggling kids, just sssooo much stuff. My studio is a mess, haven't sewn anything for nearly 2mths and I miss it. Not even any handwork as by the time I'm relaxed at night I'm just falling asleep. Hopefully that's all about to change.

Since Christmas especially I've been struggling with my vision, sort of aware but not aware, that it had gotten so bad so quickly. Finally went and had my eyes tested yesterday, and yes, they've gotten much worse in a very short period of time for some reason. So now I'll have to wear glasses all the time :-( but on the upside, reading with the goofy ones he put my new prescription into made me realise how bad it's been - I could read!!!! :-)

Have to wait two weeks for them to be done but gonna make sure I have lots of stitching projects at the ready, my embroidery had become hopeless!!! How many others have had to get glasses to do their sewing?

Cheers, Pami

Jean Sewing Machine
February 25th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Missed you! Glad you are getting the new glasses! I just ordered new lenses for mine, the last set were so bad I couldn't see with them. Long story and bad results, but things are going to be better soon!

buckeyequilter
February 25th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I've worn glasses since I've been 3 so yeah I wear glasses....to sew, to drive, to read....well to do just about anything :)

Hulamoon
February 25th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I have worn glasses from sixth grade for long vision. Then I had a test a few years ago and my vision actually improved. I wasn't wearing them consantly. How weird is that? I don't like to drive at night though. I see stars everywhere. Tried bifocals for short vision and hated that, so now I just keep a 1.25 on my head when I sew or try and read labels at the store or bills. lol

Marebear
February 25th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Pami - I'm glad you got your vision corrected :) Seeing is always good! I hope you get some time to sew now that you can see.

I'm like Shirley. I've had glasses since I was 8 and have to wear them for everything to muddle through life. The only time I don't need them is to sleep. I have perfect vision in my dreams :)

Doloris
February 25th, 2014, 09:09 PM
I've worn glasses since I was 8 also. I needed them for everything, including getting up and going to the bathroom at night. About 10 yrs ago I had lasik surgery done on both eyes and I haven't worn glasses since. I remember on the way home from the dr's after surgery my DH said " There's a biplane" I looked up in the sky and could see something that resembled a plane. Before surgery I would never have been able to see even that much. By that evening I was reading things on the tv from across the room.
I love not wearing glasses or contacts anymore. :)

easyquilts
February 25th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Good for you! I have to get new glasses, too... I have ocular implants, but need glasses to watch TV and drive. I prefer the cheap readers to bifocals...

rebeccas-sewing
February 25th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Me too, since 3rd grade. My eyes have improved as I've aged as well. Doc says something in there has a tendency to shrink causing the long-distance vision to improve. Now if only it would improve to 20/20. Wouldn't that be nice!

cindyw
February 26th, 2014, 01:21 AM
Pami, not to worry you but sometimes when someone's vision changes rapidly it's a sign of diabetes. You might have that checked. I wouldn't know about it except it happened to a friend of ours. I don't think I've ever heard or read it anywhere.

Monique
February 26th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Nothing wrong with my eyes, just my arms have gotten too short. I have no idea how that happened.

Nidan_07
February 26th, 2014, 09:15 AM
I was thinking you had been abducted by Schoolies, Pami!! It's been ages since we heard from you. Glad you sorted out the glasses issue. Now you can get back to sewing up a storm. I have just started with mild strength lenses for reading at night. Sometimes have to use them at work, too.
Hope life is treating you well. I can not believe that first term is half over on Friday for our kids.
Where has the time gone?

Blondie
February 26th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Pami, I have to admit (in a confessional, conspiratorial voice) that I wear what I call my "cheaters". I can't read fine print, see, the stitches from the machine, or even read the computer screen without my little dollar store readers. They are only a 1 - what a difference that little one can make!
I wore glasses for over 30 years due to being horribly near sighted. I had what the docs called 2 finger vision. As in 2 fingers at the space of 2 fingers from my nose I could see. Anything else was a blur. Then several years ago I had laser surgery and WOW! I can see the alarm clock, the tv, road signs, voila! Now that I am older, the natural process of needing assistance or else hold everyone way past arms length.
The world will be so much lovelier - as long as you ignore the proverbial ugliness in the world - when you get your glasses. Just wait and see.

Well it's been bedlam here, changing my kids school, juggling kids, just sssooo much stuff. My studio is a mess, haven't sewn anything for nearly 2mths and I miss it. Not even any handwork as by the time I'm relaxed at night I'm just falling asleep. Hopefully that's all about to change.

Since Christmas especially I've been struggling with my vision, sort of aware but not aware, that it had gotten so bad so quickly. Finally went and had my eyes tested yesterday, and yes, they've gotten much worse in a very short period of time for some reason. So now I'll have to wear glasses all the time :-( but on the upside, reading with the goofy ones he put my new prescription into made me realise how bad it's been - I could read!!!! :-)

Have to wait two weeks for them to be done but gonna make sure I have lots of stitching projects at the ready, my embroidery had become hopeless!!! How many others have had to get glasses to do their sewing?

Cheers, Pami

MillieS
February 26th, 2014, 11:05 AM
For over a month I have been complaining that I can't see when I'm sewing..I had my eyes checked in September and they hadn't changed any so my glasses were ok..I got down and looked under the arm of the sewing machine and there are three lights under there so that couldn't be the problem....We moved to this house last spring so I complained about the lighting in my sewing room as I didn't have a problem sewing at the previous house..I got a floor lamp as close as I could to the sewing machine for more lighting..Helped a little...

I am taking a machine applique class and at class on Monday I said I sure couldn't see what I was doing very good..The teacher told me to try an open toe presser foot.. That helped some but certainly not the best...The owner of the store came over and was watching me sew and finally told me to follow her...She took me to a sewing machine that was the same as mine (Janome 11000) and she turned it on and oh my gosh it was sooooo bright....
She said the machines have LED lights and they just get gradually get dimmer and dimmer and I needed new lights..Next week they will put new lights in my machine and I will be able to see..The LED lights have a life time warranty so it will be a cheap fix..

pamipatch
February 27th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Lol, love that I'm not the only one!

Will definitely get checked for diabetes, I had actually heard that too but had forgotten! Definitely haven't been kidnapped by schoolies Lenore, just overrun with 8 children for the school hols! I'm sssoooo looking forward to getting them, patience isn't my strong point and now that I know what a difference they'll make, I can't wait!!

Have spent the day tidying my studio, looking for a kit I bought some time ago with lots of embroidery. Managed to find it (after 2yrs lol) in one of my super duper safe places I'd forgotten existed. There were another 3 kits if forgotten about, so lots of embroidery ready to go when I get my goggles!!