PDA

View Full Version : Owwweeee!! I have a boo booooo

IBake
February 24th, 2014, 12:31 AM
I'm going to kill my Giant Schnauzer!

Yesterday-when my hubby was gone to an adult scout function(he is a 56 yr. active Boy Scout) I came down from upstairs and turned the corner to walk into the kitchen. We have large ceramic tile from the front door through to the kitchen..my giant schnauzer decided to come with me, BUT he also decided to stop right in front of me to turn and see if he was still in front of me. Well, yeah I was....and I tried to stop and get around him, to no avail. As I started to see the world tilt I'm thinking, oh crap this isn't good and I am going to kill that dog if I can get to him.

A slight background for you. You all don't know that I am fused from T9 to my sacrum. I had three lower discs replaced with cages and screws 7 years ago. The day after the 8 hour surgery they came to get me up. I expected the pain due to the difficulty of the surgery. But when they got me up and I told them to stop because something broke, something was WRONG, they didn't listen. They got me up to walk twice a day and to sit in the chair...with a broken back. My surgeon was gone for the week so no one was really listening to me. When he returned, this became a crisis as they found out that I had a broken back. One more 7 hour surgery, and I am now fused from T9 (about where your bra strap is) to my sacrum with two 15" titanium rods and 20 screws...the BIG screws. . I don't bend, I can't twist and a whole lotta other things. It also affects my balance.

Sooo, as I hit the tile floor on my left hip, shoulder, and knee and I took an additional bounce, I'm thinking that this may be a loong day as hubby is gone and there is nothing close that I can use to pull myself up with. The pain was so intense that I managed to roll onto my stomach and lay and moan for about 10 minutes. The whole time the dog was grumbling and growling at me and the other pup (a giant schnauzer/Irish Wolfhound mix) was trying to see what was wrong. I am wondering if I have done anything that is going to precipitate a call to my PM doctor, and if that I would end up somewhere besides the floor at the end of the day.

I managed to get on my feet (through no help of the dogs) and got back up the bedroom where I laid as still as my legs would allow. My hubby was due home to pick me up to go #1GS first Cub Scout blue and gold dinner. This would have been fine if the seats hadn't been those that are connected to to table....and that I slid off the seat down to the floor on the bad leg yet again.

We made it home and I made it into the hot tub where hubby found me asleep 45 minutes later. He pushed and shoved me into bed where, I was informed, I moaned and cried the night through. I spent today in bed and didn't surface until 2 pm. I am still extremely sore, but guess that I will manage to survive. The dog acts like it wasn't his doing....but what do I expect? He's a dog....a male dog !

i have a boo boo........

K. McEuen
February 24th, 2014, 12:37 AM
And when you are laying on the floor they stand there and look down at you like "What are you doing down there, you twit?"

I think I might have just spent the night in the hot tub. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Genny
February 24th, 2014, 12:53 AM
I just cringed reading about everything you've been thru and I sure hope you get up and around real soon!

easyquilts
February 24th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Good grief! What an awful thing to happen... I hurt just reading about it all....mix hope you feel lots better soon.

rebeccas-sewing
February 24th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Oh gosh! Me too. Cringing and thinking that you are one lucky lady that you didn't do anything more serious considering your circumstances. Feel better soon.

BobW
February 24th, 2014, 01:21 AM
I'm so glad that you aren't any worse than stiff and very sore. I walk with a cane if I am walking any distance anymore due to falling. I know I fell last winter on the ice and I thought I would have been better off if I had broke something. I was black and blue for weeks, and the stiffness took quite a while to go a way.

Take care and watch out for the unscheduled stops of the dogs.

ilive2craft2
February 24th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Ow Ow Ow!!!! So scary! Hoping you are in less pain soon!

Kgrammiecaz
February 24th, 2014, 01:35 AM
OMG. I just want to come there, make you tea, and keep your feet up. So sorry to,hear this happened. You sound like a trooper though. Feel better soon!

Judy, USMC
February 24th, 2014, 01:45 AM
So glad you were able to get up on your own! Hope you get over your soreness soon.

auntiemern
February 24th, 2014, 01:59 AM
What an ordeal. I don't know how you managed to get up on your own. Take care of yourself, and ground the dog from treats for a week.
One of my biggest fears is falling, which I did a few weeks ago. My sewing chair came right out from under me. Thank goodness DH was home. Scared the daylights out of my youngest GD. She was in the kitchen with me when it happened. I just layed there for a few to make sure nothing hurt when I moved it...then DH got me up.

stationarymom
February 24th, 2014, 04:29 AM
i'm so sorry you had to go through that. did you go see a dr? you should go just to make sure you didn't hurt anything. moaning and crying in your sleep you must at least have some good bruises.

take care.

GuitarGramma
February 24th, 2014, 04:59 AM
You poor, poor thing! That sounds absolutely awful. Please keep us posted on your condition over the next few days!

Iris Girl
February 24th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Oooowwwee, you poor thing, hope the hot tub is helping. bad doggies no treats for a week. Hope you improve and can move again soon.

Simply Quilting
February 24th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Ouch!!! I hope you are feeling better soon.

Vonnie
February 24th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I also cringed while I read what happened!

When I was pregnant with my first son I had to be on bedrest for the last month (suppose to be 6 weeks but he came early). My DH bought me a cordless phone - they were rather big then and with an antenna that you pull out. It was not a cell phone. Anyway, my Dad would call me often to see how I was. He had a broken back and it was hard for him to move fast and a lot of times when someone would phone him he would not get to the phone in time to answer it.

So, after my son was born, we mailed the phone to my Dad. He was so delighted to have it. He did have trouble remembering to put it on the base to recharge. They lived in Kingman, Arizona at the time and he would drive my Step Mother crazy with trying to see how far away from the house he could get and the phone still worked. He happily told me 1/2 mile. Luckily his shirt pocket was big enough to hold the phone since back then the phones were pretty large.

So, my advice to you is to carry a cell phone around with you. Luckily they are a lot smaller than that cordless phone we gave my Dad. And I second the motion for you to get checked out by your doctor.

redcaboose1717
February 24th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I almost took a header down our(carpeted) basement steps because of something similar that our 15 yr old cat did last year. I was going to go downstairs to our finished basement, and the cat, got in front of me.....had I not put my arms out, and grabbed the door jam, I would have went down the entire flight of carpeted steps HEAD first....and yes, as much as I love my cat "Buffy" there's times when he does stuff like this, I would like to RING his little gold neck !
I too, spent some time in the hot tub after that....I was sore for days !

IBake
February 25th, 2014, 03:22 AM
Thanks to all for the good wishes... I have a black and blue leg/knee that I think I will charge admission to see! My hubby just shakes his head at me.

The schnauzer is convinced that he is blameless...so to punish him I sent him to the groomers. This would be just punishment for most pups (he's actually 9) but this one actually ENJOYS IT!!! sigh. Got to admit he looks better tho... So I extended the grief by washing his bedding...yeah, he likes that also. I have decided no cookies for a week...he can use the lack of calories and he will forget why he is not getting them anyway<<<shaking my head>>>. Gotta love him, what else can I do?

I will stay put and get the rag flannel quilt done for #1GS 7th birthday the end of the week. All the squares are put together and over half are stitched so it won't take long. I'm putting it together with tight stitches so that his little fingers won't/can't put his fingers through. He's like his daddy, loves heavy covers...

thanks again folks-that was a nice b'day present to read,