PDA

View Full Version : Bookworming Night Owl

toggpine
February 23rd, 2014, 02:20 AM
I spent my fabric money on a new book.
I did try to buy fabric, really I did. I just didn't see much that HAD to come home with me. I bought a quarter of a yard of flannel elephants for an Emily project, and I did find some shamrocks from the 2013 collection @ $2/yd & I got 3/4 of that at the remnant price. I did bring home some batting, which is what I really went out after. I used my gift card and an extra 20.

I knew the latest J.D. Robb release was out and available at Costco. I even managed to get a "signed" copy for the same price as a "regular" copy. (I'm sure it was signed by auto-pen or a rubber stamp, but it's still kinda cool.) So my $20 of mad money was spent on a fresh read. Normally I add my name to the audio-book list at the library and wait for my turn to come up and sew while "reading". This will be an early birthday present to me. Now I will spend the next two days reading it. Some books are like crack, I usually can't stop once I get started. This author is one of them.

Do you consume books like me, or can you set them down and walk away and not wonder what's going to happen next or how will they get out of that predicament? Do you have a favorite author(s) with characters that you have a hard time resisting?

Well, I had better go refresh my ice water and crack open that book. I hear it calling my name louder than my sewing machine tonight!

Quiltfreestyle
February 23rd, 2014, 02:46 AM
Yes I agree, sometimes books are like crack. I've always been an avid reader & once I start a book I usually can't stop until I finish it or go cross eyed. LOL
I like Tom Clancy, Jennifer Chiavarini, and Fr James Martin SJ among others.
Have fun with your new book :)

MomGram
February 23rd, 2014, 02:47 AM
Reading is another of my favorite hobbies. I also enjoy audiobooks while I sew. Some of my favorite authors are Laura Griffin, Pamela Clair, Suzanne Brockman, and Cindy Gerard. I tend to read romantic suspense but can't stay away from The Black Dagger Brotherhood books by Ward. If asked my favorite books they come from the youth category, all the Harry Potter books and from my youth loved the Outsiders.

Kgrammiecaz
February 23rd, 2014, 02:53 AM
I am usually an avid reader as well. But since I took up quilting, my reading time has dropped considerably. Also, i work for a company that I read and edit a lot of reports. So sometimes I get really tired of reading.

When I do find those few minutes I like to read Danielle Steele, VC Andrews, james Patterson, and recently Karen Kingsbury. Also, when. I doget started, it is very hard to put down and I have stayed up way too late to finish a book.

Enjoy your reads!

MomGram
February 23rd, 2014, 03:05 AM
Now how could I have forgotten James Patterson, love the Alex Cross books. Also John Sandford, his Prey series is wonderful.

MayinJerset
February 23rd, 2014, 03:38 AM
Quilting does take away from reading time. No favorite authors at this time, I like lots of them.

Belong to a quilt/book small group and we read an eclectic mix of books. This month's read is "Still Alice" about a Harvard Psychology Professor with early on set Alzheimer's, scary reading. We complied a list of books members would like to read in the future so I used it to choose a book for next month. 2 were available at local library so I checked them out to see which one I would choose, Nora Roberts "The Witness" and "The Girls of Atomic City" by Denise Kiernan, about the women who worked on the secret atomic bomb project during WWII. . Right now am reading Nora Roberts book, not usually my kind of book as the basic storyline is predictable but it moves along very well. Didn't know that Nora Roberts was also JJ Robb. As you can see we are all over the place with our reading. Even if most don't like the book we have read for that month we always find much to discuss about it.

Presently also reading a book that I'm quoted in, Kitty Genovese, A True Account of a Public Murder and Its Private Consequences by Catherine Pelonero. Again not something I would usually choose to read but again I have a personal interest in Kitty's story. .

dwil23
February 23rd, 2014, 03:48 AM
I'm definitely the odd man out in this discussion. Spend fabric money on a book? No way! I am not/nor have I ever been an avid reader of books - especially fiction. I like to read - the forum, newspaper articles, magazines. Something I can read and be done with in a few minutes. I would much rather spend my time creating. Besides, if I were to sit still long enough to read a chapter, I would be asleep. I might add - I don't watch TV or movies very often either. The last movie I saw was at least three years ago. Just not my thing.

toggpine
February 23rd, 2014, 04:19 AM
I'm going to have to find my glasses. I'm not reading very fast tonight and my eyes are starting to twitch.
Hubby had some dumb show on with lots of lame fight scenes. He slept through the whole thing and started to nod off through an even worse program. I turned off the TV and sent him to bed while I tuck the Miss into her nest for the night.

I don't usually spend the fabric $ on books either, but this series is one exception. Nora Roberts is JD Robb, and some of her other stories are good, but some are just fluff. I really like the J.D. Robb "In Death" series. A few of them have been uber creepy, but most are pretty good if you like the CSI/NCIS suspense stuff. It isn't my only genre, but I'm a sucker for these characters. I've been slowly adding to my collection of these books since I found them series mid-way into their writing. I really like the narrator for the audio-books too Susan Erickson has an amazing ability to create different voices for each character. There are a few that can do that really well, and she is one of them. I can hear the voices she uses when I read the books!
Trust me Donna, I did try to buy fabric before I splurged on the book. I just wasn't into grey, orange, & olive green today and that seemed to be the colors that were out on display. I also have a stash I'm trying to work down, so that was weighing on my mind too.

Now to find my glasses and visit the powder room....

auntiemern
February 23rd, 2014, 04:21 AM
Oh my yes. Once I start on a book, I cannot stop reading until I finish it. I love James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, and my fav at the moment is Jeffrey Deaver, and the Lincoln Rhymes series. I have read all of them, and heard a new one is coming out. the problem with me is, I can't do both...and my focus for the foreseeable future is quilting.

quiltnforfun
February 23rd, 2014, 04:33 AM
I have always been a reader. Listen and read all kinds of different authors. Right now I am listening to Outlander by Diana Gablon . I like to listen to books while sewing, driving, and any other time. I am reading one book, listening to another almost all the time. Favorites I will read over and over. Seems like old friends at times. I love having a tablet, I can take many books with me when traveling. I would rather read then watch tv many times. Movies seem to leave so much of the story out. Next book in my listening que is Monument Men. After seeing the movie I really want to know more of the story. Oh yeah, I am a history junkie also. Rubbed off on the kido's to. Not that they would admit. Between living in different states and Germany they were influenced. My daughter has a major in antropology. She worked one summer on the dig in Jamestown, Va. As a teenager would complain about the history trips though.

Forgot talking about reading. Headed to bed, will read a couple of chapters on the way. Tomorrow plan on sewing and of course the book will be reading along in the background. LOL

Cathy F
February 23rd, 2014, 06:46 AM
I am not a disciplined reader, when I get a good book in my hands I can't put it down. Don't have a favorite author, I like so many. I just finished reading Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. This was an eye opener as I didn't know there were actually orphan trains.

Karen.dixon
February 23rd, 2014, 07:00 AM
My mom and are are completely addicted to Diana Gabbaldons Outlamder series!!!! I've listened to them so many times, but they never get boring

pcbatiks
February 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
If a book really pulls me in I can spend way too much time reading. But with some books....I can put them down & come back to it a couple of days later. If I am reading a book and decide that I don't really care about these characters.........I can put the book down and never give it a 2nd thought.

I will be adding to my book collection at the end of March.........the weekend of the huge book sale that I volunteer with. :D

Carol336
February 23rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
I love reading....usually crawl into bed with my Kindle at about 7 and read till 11 or 12 most nights. I just finished the latest Sisterhood book, by Fern Michaels, Blindsided.

I love a good mystery....perhaps a little romance along with it and am always looking for new authors. I especially like a series, where you can really get to know the characters. Have read the Alex Cross books, Women's Murder Club series.....can't think of what else right now. Oh yes Karen Rose is great - a bit graphic sometimes, but really good reads. Joanna Fluke with her recipe mysteries is fun too.

Granny Judy
February 23rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
I've always been an avid reader.. and luckily the talking books came into my life at the right moment. Car wreck in 88 left me legally blind. (I have no peripheral vision). The library sent me all the equipment and a monthly book list to choose from.. And I went thru that library like a bull in a china closet!!

I now have an Ipod and it gets a work out... I'm listening to the Outlander series right now... and as I quilt, I read!! As I cook, I read. As I dust and mop, I read. As I travel, I read. When I'm suppose to sleep, I read. Yes, I love this little Ipod and all the technology that goes with it. Living in the 21'st century has it's perks........

MayinJerset
February 23rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
One thing about being an avid reader and getting older is that my retention isn't as good as it used to be so I jot down notes as I read, usually on the backs of envelopes ready for recycling. That way I can pick the story up again if I don't have time to read for a few days. I read the notes before book club meetings so I can appear to have read and thought about the book in depth.

ilive2craft2
February 23rd, 2014, 11:56 AM
I am also an avid reader - I found the Outlander series from a thread here on the forum and have read them all. One thing I like about my kindle is that my dh doesn't realize when I have finished one book and started another. :D

I just ordered my own hardcover copy of "The Girls of Atomic City" by Denise Kiernan - my MIL is in the picture on the front cover. My SIL had the book and I have read parts of it, but we wanted our own copy. Thanks for the reminder!

I too love series - some characters just need multiple books to develop or to explore thoroughly. Once I find one I like, I just keep going. Love to find series that are already completed - I hate waiting for the new book to come out. During Harry Potter, my son and I would re-read the series every time before the new book came out and went to all of the midnight sales. Harry Potter is what finally got my son hooked on reading - he was a struggling reader before that, no matter what we had tried. I have very eclectic tastes in books - if it is a good storyline, I don't care about the genre - sci fi, fantasy, historical fiction, murder mysteries, etc.

Navy Wife
February 23rd, 2014, 12:17 PM
I read a lot. I don't usually spend my fabric money on books, though. I get most of my books at the library. I do pick up a few paperbacks now and then to carry on trips. My favorites right now? Clive Cussler and his adventure books that are without any 4 letter words! Tom Clancy and John Grisham. Any kind of mystery series like the M.C. Beaton books about Agatha Raisin. Historical novels. Can you tell that I mostly just love books? I don't read horror stories cause I get scared!

As for while I'm sewing, I watch or listen to TV mostly. If I have music on it's oldies or big band or southern gospel. Rock music drives me crazy. Isn't it great that we don't all like the same thing!

rebeccas-sewing
February 23rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
I can usually put a book down, but every once in awhile a really good one crosses my path. I just read a wonderful book called THE KITCHEN HOUSE. I could hardly put it down and read it in just a little of two days. Same thing happened with my daughter when I recommended it to her. My younger daughter is reading THE HELP. She loved the movie and I encouraged her to read the book. Same thing happened to her. The only drawback is the grief comes sooner when the book comes to a rapid end and I'm left with "What do I read now???" If only all books were this captivating! I just started reading DIVERGENT. My mother-in-law gave it to me at Christmas time. I'm not hooked yet but I'm told it's really good. My sister is a recently retired children's librarian. She and my mother have always been major bookworms. I count on her to recommend books that I should read. It was a sad day when my mom couldn't read anymore. That was a major indicator to us that something was wrong and sure enough dementia was the culprit. I have visions of Mom reading when I was a kid. She would be so engrossed in a book I could speak to her and she wouldn't hear me.

Quiltfreestyle
February 23rd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Thank you to all who have listed their favorite books. I now have a whole new list to check out. My one problem with reading is finding good books to read!!! I usually rely on recommendations from others so now I'm in heaven.
And I also just realized I haven't had a library card since my kids graduated school. That's something I'm going to get ASAP. Think of all the money I'll save to spend on fabric.
YAY!

QuiltingRN
February 23rd, 2014, 02:48 PM
I am also an avid reader, been one my whole life. Having Nook and Kindle on the iPad is awesome. I have hundreds of books in electronic format. I have hardbacks of my favorites, too.
I love fiction, mystery, horror, scifi, pretty much everything.
I have library cards to two libraries and get books electronically.

Reading and quilting, great hobbies!

LLLinda
January 9th, 2018, 02:14 AM
I haven't bought a book in years. Well except for quilt or knitting books. I read like the rest of us here do but I get mine from the library or free on my Nook. And I don't re read a book or re watch a movie. Unless someone has changed the ending I don't find the need. I too am a mystery and suspense reader. For diversion I may get an historical romance or two.

KarenC
January 9th, 2018, 05:40 AM
When I get my hands on a good book I can and have pulled all nighters reading the book. I have had others that I can read a few pages and come back to later. I don't buy many as I would usually just go to the library. I must admit I haven't read any books since the local library flooded in August. The closest branch is like 10 miles away, and I don't feel like driving that far. I should try out the e-books, but right now I'must on a quilting roll.

kimsophia
January 10th, 2018, 04:31 AM
I used to love to read as a kid and high school student. I was a big Tolkien fan, and read a lot of Stephen King. Then at college textbooks were cutting into my fun reading time. But in the past twenty years I haven't read much. I did like "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett and the early Janet Evanovich mysteries, but her books seemed to get formulaic to me. But mostly I've read online news and craft information and even more, played online games. This year I joined a book club to try to improve. So far the only book I've liked is "American Ulysses". Some of them are well-written but gruesome. I don't like horror anymore or movie violence...I don't think I'll rejoin the book club next year. I now prefer non-fiction to fiction, the opposite of younger me. I like to read cookbooks and watch cooking and sewing shows more. And gardening.

jjkaiser
January 10th, 2018, 12:40 PM
I love to read but I am in such a reading slump right now I cannot find anything good! The last good one I read was The Story Of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg. I have read all of Jodi Piccoult's, Marie Bostwick, and Elizabeth Strout. Any suggestions? I don't like sci-fi, detective novels or anything gruesome. My dh teases me that I only like books that could be made into movies for the Hallmark Channel.

Patty J
January 11th, 2018, 05:44 PM
My sister loves FBI fiction books by Catherine Coulter--The one I just got her for Christmas was Enigma--Too weird for me, but she loved it and started and finished in one day. It is a series and she has read all the books. Intrigue and suspense kept her going.
JJKaiser, I like sugar sweet books too. One author I like to read is Catherine Anderson, She usually has a series of books. I liked the Outlander series too, Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series. My other sister enjoyed Susan Grafton the Alphabet series. I haven't read those yet, we'll see.