PDA

View Full Version : Not been here for awhile

cindyinohio
February 22nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
I've not been keeping up here lately. Still fighting gallbladder (?) problems. Been close to six weeks now. I had a ultrasound this morning and an endoscopy scheduled Mar 4. Finally saw surgeon last Monday. Am gettin REALLY tired of chicken breast,plain baked potato, and unseasoned peas!!!!! The least little fat sends me into big time pain. Any one out there have ideas for diet???? I'm dying for a pizza...I said one more pizza commercial and I'm putting my foot thru the tv!!! What worked for you guys???

ilive2craft2
February 22nd, 2014, 03:50 PM
I am so sorry it is taking them so long to figure this out! Have you tried steamed vegetables (no butter or seasoning)? Not sure if you can do rice or not as a change from the potato? If you are keeping the pain to a minimum with your diet restrictions, I would definitely continue them, no matter how good pizza sounds - you don't want a full blown attack - although it could make the docs react quicker! Hoping you get some answers soon!

Vonnie
February 22nd, 2014, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry, but mine got so bad that no matter what i ate, I felt really bad afterwards.

redcaboose1717
February 22nd, 2014, 06:28 PM
I had my gall bladder removed in 1983.....I was 29 yrs old. I couldn't eat much until the surgery...and because I didn't wait too long to have the surgery ( my mom waited YEARS ) I can' eat most anything.....except if I eat Pizza, Spaghetti,Coneys .....in a row....that I can't do. I like a lot of things most people don't ....steamed Veggies, rice, oatmeal, etc.
I have had friends that couldn't eat lettuce after they had their Gall Bladder removed...so it is different for everyone ( I can eat lettuce every day and have no problems ! )
Here's some things I remember from back then......Stay away from Dairy Products ...that makes it worse. I remember staying away from Coke & Pepsi.....( I drank non-carbonated beverages ...Hi Class used to make an Orange & Strawberry soda like this, I don't think they make it any more ) I drank a lot of iced & hot tea ( de-caf though )

Here's a list .....of things to do ...hope this helps !

eliminate all fat from the diet (less than 10 grams per day total)

eat very small meals 5-6 times per day

avoid anything spicy or acidic (ie: citrus, tomatoes)

choose low fiber, bland, and soft foods which will empty quickly from the stomach

try to get more calories from fat free liquids such as fruit juices (apple, white grape, peach, low acid orange)

avoid alcohol and caffiene

dont smoke or chew gum (these can be gastric irritants as well)

Bubby
February 22nd, 2014, 07:28 PM
I remember eating loads of boiled noodles. Maybe you could mix some low-fat cottage cheese in with them and add some peas and salt. How about potato soup made with skim milk? I hope you have your surgery and get to feeling better soon. My gallbladder ruptured the day before my scheduled surgery in 1983.

redcaboose1717
February 22nd, 2014, 08:31 PM
You know, I remember eating Potato soup, with a Chicken Based broth...it sounds icky, but actually it was really good....
My gall bladder attacks were serious and often....no matter what I ate. I didn't mess around having the surgery ( I was diagnosed and then had the surgery the next week, ON my DH Terry's 30th B-day....LOL !
I do have problems even now, if I eat a lot of spicy foods in a row ( as I mentioned in my first post here ) ...but other than that, I don't have any problems, I can eat anything I want....
Do you like Gator Aid ? You might try that.....It's much better eating 5-6 small meals per day, when need Gall Bladder surgery.

redcaboose1717
February 22nd, 2014, 08:36 PM
Here's a list of non-Carbonated Drinks....Geez, I didn't realize there was so many on the market nowadays. My sister had a petic ulcer at 10 yrs old, and the Dr. told my parents that she could drink a non-carbonated soda by Hi-Class ( I am sure the company is out of business now. ).....But I just did research on this, and found all these drinks. !
http://www.sodafinder.com/collections/all/$noncarbonated

SallyO'Sews
February 22nd, 2014, 09:12 PM
Can't offer any advice, but hope you feel better soon!

MayinJerset
February 23rd, 2014, 03:01 AM
Can't offer any advice, but hope you feel better soon! Me too. May

auntiemern
February 23rd, 2014, 04:30 AM
Ah....the bland diet. Have been on that more times than I care to remember. If it is white, you can eat it...as long as it isn't fried. I lived on mashed potatoes, grilled and baked chicken and fish, creme of wheat (couldn't eat oatmeal, it is harder to digest) vanilla pudding, tapioca, and vanilla yogurt. Mine was due to ulcers and severe GERD (gastro esophogial reflux disease). Get that thing taken out so you can get back to eating and living like you want to. Prayers for a speedy resolution to your difficulties.

cyndiofthevortex
February 23rd, 2014, 04:46 AM
No food advice from me but LOTS and LOTS of sympathy! I hope this all gets taken care of quickly. Poor you! It sounds miserable.

turena65
February 23rd, 2014, 05:00 AM
Seriously, the only cure is to have it removed. The bland diet is just a temporary fix and ultimately you are going to need to get it out, so the sooner the better. Trust me, I deal with patients like this all the time, you will be so much happier and physically stronger to just get the thing out and LIVE! Good luck... :)

shermur
February 23rd, 2014, 06:56 AM
I remember those pains....the first attack I had, I thought something was wrong with my heart. I had chest pain, my arms went numb, and I struggled to breathe. hubby rushed me to the emergency room, only to find out it was possibly my gall bladder. I had to wait a year to get my surgery done...during that time it was crackers, applesauce, toast with jam, turkey. Ice cream was the sad part...I missed it! You will feel better once you have the gall bladder removed.

Grandma G
February 23rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
Are they making you wait because they aren't sure it is your gall bladder? Because it they are sure they should have scheduled you for surgery way before now. I never had any symptoms and then in the middle of the night about 17 years ago I woke up in excruciating pain. Gall bladder was removed before it burst and all has been well ever since. Sorry you are going through this and hope they do something about this quickly, for your sake.

Vonnie
February 23rd, 2014, 12:05 PM
Sometimes I think they wait because of getting permission from the insurance companies. I'm glad we have the kind that moves quickly. I had my surgery one week after the final diagnosis that it was gall bladder disease. My oldest brother had to wait several months for his insurance to give permission to operate on his back for a sciatic nerve! He was in loads more pain than me.

I'm glad that I was only there for a few hours. I have 4 small incisions. I had to be real careful what I ate for about 3 weeks then after that I had no trouble. But I did think at first that it was my GERD rearing it's ugly head (like it's doing now).

Take good care of yourself and keep after them.