PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - what a difference a week can make

Blondie
February 20th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies!

I will actually be able to work this morning. I can actually walk across the road without fear of the slip and slide way I have had to walk in the past week. Yesterday was a decent day. Why, it even smelled like a Spring Day. Dare I say that? It rained in the first part of the day, then the sun came out. Both of those elements helped to wash most of the snow away. There is still some holding on but we are confident it will be all gone by tomorrow. Thunderstorms are expected here as well. I believe everyone in our state who was jonesing for snow will be happy now for another year. And I hope to see no more this year. My heart goes out to all my Northern friends and kin who are still in the throes of snow. Be safe, warm and for goodness sakes, keep that white stuff up there.

Yesterday I was able to practice FMQ a bit. We had dinner at Mom's last evening. The old gal made us a delish veggie dinner of butter beans, collards, stewed potatoes, pintos and biscuits. Of course, she had some fatback for me. She made peach cobbler for dessert. Some dinners just deserve a cobbler for dessert. Or pie. Mom makes the best cobblers. Forget her cookies. She has lost her touch with cookies. They are hard little turds and have been known to resemble one. Oy. I have yet to figure out what she does to cookies. Just trust me. If Mom ever offers you a cookie, just say no.

Okay folksies, I am going to be off to get ready for work. I am really looking forward to seeing a few of my peeps. Thinking of those here who need a hug, a shoulder, prayer and in general a true smile.

New York Sue
February 20th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Blondie, TOO funny!
I got out of work early, this morning. My sidewalk was TREACHOROUS.
DH has been great about getting rid of the BIG STUFF, but if a couple of inches fall, and warm weather is in sight, his motto is "God put it there, and God will take it away".....
OY VEY!
I sure do LOVE that you smell spring in the air.
Something's got to give!
We haven't seen this kind of snow fall in 10 years or better!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 20th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Blondie, you gave me my morning chuckle describing your mom's cookies! Thanks for the heads up, in case I ever get a chance to visit!

Got an appointment with the accountant this morning for tax prep. I always owe, so it isn't fun like it once was when I got a refund. I did have my way with the IRA savings last year, so the results of this visit will be painful, I'm sure. The piper must be paid!

I need to trim and bind the X and O quilt for my friend. Perhaps I can drown my IRS sorrows this afternoon with some sewing room time. Looking at a crisply finished quilt always is fun!

Hope everybody has a good day! We're looking at some rain storms in a few hours, may make the morning commute a bit challenging!

Monique
February 20th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Good morning friends. Blondie I make hockey pucks instead of tea biscuits, I just don't have the knack for making those. Momma probably just leaves them to cook for too long.

I heard disturbing news from my oldest last night. Seems like my DIL is not happy with her life at the moment. It is not the marriage which is a good thing. I don't quite understand it all but the jist of it is she has applied to enter into the military and if all goes well she will go to school in Halifax. He is scheduled to be transferred back to the west coast in about a year. So they will split up. At this point it is just temporary while she goes to school. It may become permanent down the road, I just don't know. I am so sad for my son, but he seems fine with her decision. Like he said, whatever happens, happens. It just weighs heavily in my heart.

I do get to see them or at least him this weekend as there is a wedding reception for my niece and her husband who got married last week in Mexico. Should be a fun time.

Yesterday I received not one but two packages in the mail. The first was an order from Fabric Shack for coordinating fabric for my square in a square quilt, the other from Shirley in Kansas for fabric we swapped.

Off to the dentist this morning. Canada should get two more medals today, hopefully both gold in women's hockey and curling. GO CANADA GO!!

Have a great day everyone.

dwil23
February 20th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Good Morning, all!

Jean, if I owe, which I always do, I don't even think about taxes until at least April 5th!. Hope this is the last year for a long while that I will have to pay. All that interest I will have to pay this year should balance it out better.

I'm off for another day of work at the house. Talk about getting weary - I am weary of this house already. I just can't seem to make any real forward progress with all the little projects that keep rearing their ugly little heads. There is still so much to do and all I really want to do is quilt! I took a break and went to Joann's yesterday to pick up some fabrics for a couple of little kitty quilts - one for Emmy and one for my daughters new kitten, Violette. Emmy is doing okay physically, be we do realize that she has taken a bit of a hit to her brain. Neurologically she's not quite all there. Definitely an indoor kitty from now on, and so far she has been a good indoor kitty. She really is a very sweet little girl.

Hugs and Prayers for all in need - stay safe and warm, everyone.

MRoy
February 20th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Good morning! Taxes...working on those is on the agenda for next week! Monique, sorry to hear about your DS and DIL. I hope all works out for the best for them. Donna, hang in there with your house. It never fails when you start fixing up or remodeling you find other things that need doing too. It'll all come together and be wonderful.

I went to the going out of business sale yesterday looking for fabric. I got there at 10:30 and the store was packed with women who had their arms loaded with bolts of fabric. I left and went to visit with some former coworkers and returned to the store around 1:00. The crowd had thinned down. I got some neutrals that I needed and some fat quarters. I'll wait for deeper discounts before going back.

We've got rain coming tonight then cooler temps. For those getting more really bad weather, please stay safe and warm.

CrazyMtnLady
February 20th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Good morning.. I am up and drinking my coffee, that's a start. :) Suppose to have thunderstorms today, actually they were suppose to start last night but so far so good.

Signs of spring are popping up now and then.. Skunks are out, birds are singing. Come on Spring!!!!!!!!

Blondie: I loved your description of your mom's cookies.. I made a batch of cookies one time that were hard as rocks. My husband at the time called them "Concrete Delights" he said once he dunked them in his coffee they were soft and delicious. LOL

Hope everyone has a great day.
Hugs and prayers to all

buckeyequilter
February 20th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Good morning.....

Well it's finally supposed to be about 60 here today but it's supposed to rain. We'll see what that brings with piles and piles of snow that will melt. I am looking forward to the warmer temps though.

I will be working on our taxes this week-end. Hope it's good news for us :)

I have started cleaning my sewing room but I only clean for a short while. Will clean off a table, work on quilt squares, organize some fabric, work on quilt squares. It's getting done slowly...but getting done :) So by the time I have my room cleaned I may have a quilt top ready to quilt.

Well need to get busy....have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs

Bubby
February 20th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Morning Everyone,

We're getting rain with lightning this morning. So far I haven't heard any thunder but the washer is running and that may be why. It is supposed to freeze again tonight with more rain tomorrow.

I made breakfast for our dinner last night and then went to bed at 6:30. I'm not perky at all this morning again. I may go back to bed and see if I can wake up better later. I have that same odd headache going on.

Hugs, Barb

MayinJerset
February 20th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Gee, I wanted to talk about something other than the weather as I'm as tired of it as I know the rest of you are but now we have another 'fun' topic to rant about as the dreaded Tax Time is here again.

DH insists on doing them himself even though there were 3 different years that he made small errors that caused us lots of time and frustration to get resolved. We paid some additional taxes were informed that all penalities were "forgiven". Or so we thought. Last month we received IRS notice that we owed $100 in penalties, never said for what year(s) so we could check our records. After much ranting and yelling DGH sent them a check as he wanted to have a clear deck to work on 2013's return. Yesterday we received an IRS Tax Refund for $63 and change, again no mention why or for what year, just the check. It's going to be fun - I think I'll steal all of last year's tax stuff and go to an accountant as the fee will be well worth it.

Iris Girl
February 20th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Good morning all. The sun is shining that's a start. suppose to get in the 40's today hoping for some melt down on snow. Rain in the forecast for later. Taxes done , I always send them to the accountant, just waiting for refunds to be deposited. We always have more taken out then necessary at work so we have something to look forward to this time of year :). Finished my Ozark star topper, the girls want to make one for class so I had to get another made. I gotta say I am LOVIN' this new cordless iron. Not sure why I never thought of this ages ago.. Blondie you make me giggle about mom's cookies. Have a great day all and like our Blondie says face everything with a smile it will make your day better!

Carol336
February 20th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Good morning all. Sun is out here - Praise God.

Blondie - your Mom's cookies sound like my clover leaf rolls....they kinda bounce out of the pan - maybe we're realted - lol

Barb - hope your headache goes away. Monique - sorry about DS and DIL....hopefully they can work it out, are there children involved? Our DS and DIL are estranged but live in the same house to share the care of their 2 little girls. Seems to work for them.

Taxes - ugh - thank heavens DH does them and I don't have to. Last year was the first time in our entire married lives that we got a refund....hope the same holds true for this year.

Going to Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis tonight for dinner and to see Booker T, (who remembers "Booker T and the MGs".) We're going with some friends from church, should be a fun evening.

Wonder if Little Mini Cooper is home yet???

Have a great day everyone

auntiemern
February 20th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Good rainy morning all. Had to get up early to be at DD's to get kids up, ready and out the door for school today. Early morning and I do not get along. After I get the girls on the bus, my little man and I will go back to my house, til time to bring him back here to catch his bus. I was very disappointed not getting to see the doc yesterday to get the prelim report of my CT. Now I have to wait til tomorrow afternoon. I feel good, so hoping all is well. I plan on getting the binding sewn on my other benefit quilt today. At least the machine part, and start on the hand stitching. Hugs for all, prayers for those that need them.

Granny Judy
February 20th, 2014, 11:07 AM

Warning label for My DD#2's coffee... It'll put hair on your chest and melt the spoon. Maybe if I had one of Those cookies of Blondie's mom??? I only took a 1/2 cup and I feel like My body shifted into over drive. Maybe today I can get some sewing and cutting done.

More rain today and hopefully all the snow will be gone. The storm woke me last night... but I went right back to sleep.

As for my post yesterday about the 2 rescued dogs.. they have been in the family since puppies.. After My Tuffy passed in 2011 they adopted me.. every morning they come into my room to make sure I am up.. they used to jump up on me while I was in bed.. So I did have to "correct that behavior".. Pepper is a mixed Aussie Shepard. Mocha is a mix black lab and chow. both are good size dogs that live the good life here.

I don't go to the pet store with the kids because I can't leave the homeless animals behind.. the local groups set up adoption at the store where we get our pet food and supplies. There is always ONE that grabs my heart but I'm not able to give another dog or cat my heart right now.. We still have 3 cats and 2 dogs to care for . And all our pets are "rescued".

Doloris
February 20th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Good morning all. Sun is out here - Praise God.

Going to Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis tonight for dinner and to see Booker T, (who remembers "Booker T and the MGs".) We're going with some friends from church, should be a fun evening.

Wonder if Little Mini Cooper is home yet???

Have a great day everyone

I went to the Ram's Head once with DS and GF. At least I think that is where we went. We had dinner and then went to the other side for a show. Can't remember who, someone that they had seen before. I do remember it was fun and I had a good time. It was around Christmas time I think.
Been working on my Hunter's Star quilt. Cut out the last 11 blocks this morning. Hope to get them sewn up over the next couple days, and the body of the quilt put together. Then I need to figure out how I am going to do borders. I have an idea, but need to think it through a little more.
Supposed to be in the 50s today, but rain storms. At least the rain will help melt all this snow. Better for it to melt gradually than all at once, or then the flooding begins. We don't have problems with flooding, but our back yard does become a swamp for a while.
Have a good day everyone.

EmmaB
February 20th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Morning girlees!

A good cup o' joe will soften those cookies right up Blondie. Maybe you need to send them to Judy, sounds like she needs them.
Is your dd trying to make espresso, Judy?

Looks like the topic for today turned to taxes. Well, all I have to say about that is yuck.

Suppose to be stormy here today and I hope the good Lord keeps the serious stuff away. I know you are not suppose to question the Big Man, but what is up with all this snow and other crazy weather? Makes me wonder if he is telling the world we need to slow down?? I'm sure He has His reasons.

DD called this morning. Sounds like some new tires are in my future. Always something!! I woke up super early this morning (3:30) and got my laundry done and quilted. I'm a "stich in the ditch" around the whole thing from being able to move on to the binding. Getting a little excited. Made it to work this morning and there's not too much going on. Would love to be home working on my quilt.

Prayers and thoughts to all who are in need!!

bubba
February 20th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Oh Blondie.....thanks for the laugh this morning. Just picturing your mom's cookies make me giggle and I really need to be distracted this morning!

I remember as a teenager wanting to make chewy molasses. Now, our mom did not let us cook often. I don't recall ever cooking a meal until after I graduated high school, however I did watch her make many, always from scratch. Anyway, I followed the recipe to a T and they turned out like hockey pucks, to say the least!!! Believe me when I tell you I heard about it. By no means were we well off and she could stretch a dollar like nobodies business. I remember her throwing the whole, ugly mess away. The next day I come home and she is waiting in the kitchen.....with a big fat apology! Seems she thought chewy molasses sounded good, so she mixed up a batch when she got home from work. Hers turned out as bad as mine!!!! Then she handed me a couple freshly baked, still warm chocolate chip cookies and all was well with my world again!

Simply Quilting
February 20th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Good morning. We've had rain, wind and sleet here. I'm thankful that I don't have to get out today. We will be having leftover taco soup for lunch.

We had our taxes done this year by the same person who usually does are taxes. The price raised quite a bit from previous years. I understood why once I seen all the additional papers that were required this year by the IRS. The interesting part is nothing changed from last year but they required more forms for the same information.

janluna
February 20th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Hello quilty Sisters, Just thought I would drop in and let you all know I am still alive. Blondie, I must be your older sister. My cookies are always hard as a rock. I wondered who I took after. I am happy to hear your Mama is up and around and doing. God Bless Her!!!
I am alive and sorta well. Ok, I'm alive. Woke up last Friday with the Mother of all colds. My left shoulder is doing much better. My right shoulder got miffed because the left was getting all the attention, and now it's acting out. It looks like I need more surgery. Bah Humbug! My DH is also under the weather and has been home for the better part of a month. He has the tv welded to NBC and the Olympics. If I see anymore sports, I'm going to be sick. I must say though, it keeps him occupied. He is not one to sit, and do nothing. He has worked since he was a very little kid. And owning a business for the last 30 something years, he has worked hard and long hours. So, keeping him occupied is a good thing. Between the two of us, we are sniffling, pain wreaked, and bored out of our heads. LOL We will live, we always do!
So, I just wanted you to know, I'm still kicking, but being on the computer is painful and that is why I haven't been on much. I check emails everyday for the business and get off. I too have been working on the books for our CPA. We did not do well this year. And I am hoping we break even. Even working on the books bothers my shoulders and neck. I was doing all the excersizes for my left shoulder, on my right shoulder as well. My PT guy thought maybe we could ward off any problems. Now, he won't let me do them on that side at all. The left shoulder is doing great for all the surgery I had. They won't know until next year if it is back 100%. Right now, it is not but I am ahead of the game and doing much better than they (docs) thought I would. It still hurts, but not bad. The other side is killing me! I have the crunchiest neck in the world and my Pt guy is worried about that. He (Kyle Mahoney) has been very kind to me. I'd like to adopt him. That way I can get free massages. lol Anyway, he has worked on my neck, both shoulders, and my back. He is only supposed to work on the left shoulder. He is one of the kindest persons I have ever met. All the patients, (myself included) pick on him. He is a very special young man and gifted, in the way he takes care of all of us. There is usually 4 to 6 of us sitting around his table and/or doing excersizes on all the equipment. How he manages all of us at one time is fun to watch.
I'll close for now and let you rest your eyes. My e-mail is jluna@rochester.rr.com, in case you want to say hi. I am always praying for you guys. God Bless you all. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L. :icon_wave::icon_crazy::icon_hug:

quiltingtrish
February 21st, 2014, 12:07 AM
Sitting here in the quiet of the evening, I love it! The dog is mopey because DH is not in for the night yet. The cats are sleeping but everytime I pop out of the chair, the kitten runs to the kitchen and starts banging the treat door. They don't get them until I go to bed. DS #1 is quiet and in his room. Missing DS#2 off at college but will get him for a week for a spring break the first week of March. :). Missing Katie-girl, only get to talk to her on weekends during her liberty from training. Hoping this week is going better for her than last week did.
The weather temps warmed up a bit today, I think we hit 40 with the sun shining. Yesterday, the large snowman lost his head first and when the temporary winds hit, his belly rolled off. It looks like I will get to see my Dad this weekend who I haven't seen for about 3 weeks. Driving through the mountains does not work for me with the snows and ice hitting every weekend which is my usual visiting time with him. I love reading on here from the folks that live in the middle about the signs of Spring coming. No one here has seen any robins yet but I know they will make their presence known soon. I am looking forward to going to the Lancaster Quilt Show the weekend of March 15th when I get to spend a few days away with my sister, BFF, and other friends for an annual girls weekend away. That's my sign of Spring coming. The weather has not dampened that little trip yet in the past, but there is always the chance that it could. I don't put in for a day off until a day or so before, so I don't jinx it. I do believe that the Lord knows how much it means to all of us to get away to get rejuvenated so He has always kept the weather at bay in the past. The gals know me though. If there is a chance I can't drive, they would show up to throw me in the vehicle, hog-tie me to the seat and off we would go.
What a long day I've had here. It started at 6 this morning to 'test' the ice on the driveway and ended at 7:30 tonight after a family dinner with the after school program. One of our students was reported to have brought a 'knife' and chasing another student in the hallway. It didn't seem like the one in charge was doing anything about it and the more the evening wore on once I got home, I realized that if he actually did have a knife (even plastic ones are not tolerated), that meant he had it at school today. I sent an email off to the one in charge and told her that it needed looking in to and she needed to report it to the principal tomorrow.
Off to la-la land. I hope you all have a great day tomorrow.

Hugs,