PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use your dishwasher?

MayinJerset
February 19th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Last night the Night Owls were discussing household chores that never seem to end and someone mentioned they use their dishwasher about once a week. Some friends have also mentioned they run their dishwasher once a week. They are also retired couples like DH and I and should pretty much have about the same amount of dirty dishes daily. One friend washes their dinner dishes, pots and pans every night. I run our dishwasher about 5 times a week or more often if we have company. I feel it is supposed to work for me, not the other way around. If I ran our dishwasher infrequently I think I would replace it with another kitchen cabinet as I could use one more.

Example: Right now our dishwasher has DH's morning cereal bowl, our 2 morning coffee mugs, 3 large soup dishes from last night's dinner (DS#1 was here), 3 mugs and small dishes from our tea and dessert, yesterday's morning coffee mugs, cereal bowl, our afternoon tea mugs, plastic containers that held veggies I put in last night's minestrone soup, DH's before bed cereal bowl, 2 glasses plus utensils. After today's lunch I'll add 2, soup dishes, empty soup storage container and dinner dishes so it will be filled and I'll run it during the night. I did hand wash last night's soup pot because it would take up too much space in the dishwasher.

Makes me wonder if I'm in the minority. What do you think?

bubba
February 19th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Dishwasher we bought when we built out addition (an 18x24 foot kitchen!) has an option to do half loads, so that is what we normally do, every other day. Also, when we did the cabinetry, because of my back, I had Monkeyman raise the dishwasher about eight inches above counter height so when my back is flared up from my arthritis. Right now, even those eight inches are not helping! I did manage to get it loaded and run last night after the kids were over for dinner, but he is in charge of unloading till further notice!

Amarillo19
February 19th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I run the dishwasher daily and sometimes twice on Sunday when I cook more. But I'm the only retiree who still cooks. I cook because I like it and eating out often gets so boring and expensive.

dwil23
February 19th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Just about everyday. If I miss a day - it usually makes for two loads the next.

GrammaBabs
February 19th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Well... We are retired and I have to fun it just about daily,, I enjoy cooking.. we eat out about once a week, but I NEVER use paper plates or rarely paper towels (except draining something) that is what the washing machine is for,,, and you just can't mop up wet with anything better than a dishtowel... I am NOT a house cleaning person my any means (ask DH... he vacumes and the dust is hardly noticeable because I have so much "stuff"...LOL)... but the kitchen is my happy place...everthing goes in the dishwasher.... yes, I pre-rinse..but I feel it sanitary because of the water temp..I have friends that still have the "dishes straining and drying" right there in the kitchen on top of the dishwasher... too funny.. we're all different.. I guess I just make a lot of pans and plates... oh,,, and here's the funny part.. DH uses "THE SAME COFFEE CUP" all day!!! and spoon,, rinsed and on a paper towel...drives me NUTS!!

GrammaBabs
February 19th, 2014, 12:03 PM
A gal after my own heart!!!!! so glad to hear from you.. I enjoy having couples over for "turkey dinner"... corned beef and cabbage.. Italian.. you know, comfort food!!! All the men say.."if your cookin',,, I'm comin'.... Very few here in our retirement comm. cook anything!!! cheez....................
I run the dishwasher daily and sometimes twice on Sunday when I cook more. But I'm the only retiree who still cooks. I cook because I like it and eating out often gets so boring and expensive.

Iris Girl
February 19th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I am the dishwasher except weekends when it is hubbys turn to do dishes. No automatic dishwasher here just our old hands. LOL

Sandy Navas
February 19th, 2014, 12:06 PM
If you know that there are 13 people (I kid you not) living here . . . sometimes the dishwasher is run twice a day - and I don't do it. Al and I have taken to hand washing our dishes . . . out of necessity. No comments necessary. I used to love my kitchen but hate going there any more. Enough said.

I do have a funny dishwasher story though. Al and I were vacationing and his Mom, who at the time was living in a very small one-bedroom apartment, decided she wanted to entertain the whole family in our honor. There may have been upwards of 30 people stuffed in that tiny apartment. One of Al's sister-in-laws and I got up, gathered all the dishes, did the clean up while the others were chit-chatting. We loaded the dishwasher and ran it.

Fast forward a couple of days. Al's Mom went grocery shopping and when she came home to put away groceries she realized her dishes were missing. A call to the police was in order, she'd been robbed. Talk about feeling foolish when she found the dishes were right there in the dishwasher - which she had never used.

MayinJerset
February 19th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I'm with you GrammaBabs. I do a lot of cooking and baking and DH makes his weekend breakfasts with lots of pans and dishes so I enjoy having the dishwasher helping with household stuff so I can sew and take it easy abit. We also eat dinner out on Friday nights and sometimes a late lunch on Sunday. Agree with Amarillo19 as it can get expensive and the menus do get boring, we use gift cards and coupons and usually take home enough for another meal so it often evens out.

Ahamblin
February 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM
If you know that there are 13 people (I kid you not) living here . . . sometimes the dishwasher is run twice a day - and I don't do it. Al and I have taken to hand washing our dishes . . . out of necessity. No comments necessary. I used to love my kitchen but hate going there any more. Enough said.

I do have a funny dishwasher story though. Al and I were vacationing and his Mom, who at the time was living in a very small one-bedroom apartment, decided she wanted to entertain the whole family in our honor. There may have been upwards of 30 people stuffed in that tiny apartment. One of Al's sister-in-laws and I got up, gathered all the dishes, did the clean up while the others were chit-chatting. We loaded the dishwasher and ran it.

Fast forward a couple of days. Al's Mom went grocery shopping and when she came home to put away groceries she realized her dishes were missing. A call to the police was in order, she'd been robbed. Talk about feeling foolish when she found the dishes were right there in the dishwasher - which she had never used.
I love your story. That is wonderful.
When I was much younger and still living in Dallas we had one particularly long and hot summer. Our electric bill was really high so to save money I decided to wash all the dishes and not use the dishwasher. Did this for about 5 months. When I went to use the dishwasher again it leaked all over the floor. Called the repairman. The rubber fittings had all dried out and had to be replaced. He told me I needed to run it at least once a week that it wasn't good to let it sit.
My DH and I are both retired and I run it about every other day.
Ann

GrammaBabs
February 19th, 2014, 12:20 PM
LOL..... to funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the old school gals for sure!! Bill's Mom!!

cyndiofthevortex
February 19th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I use my dishwasher every day or every other day. I don't mind loading it but hate to unload it, so I try to pass that job onto someone else in the house.

We wash all of our pots and pans by hand. They just don't get clean enough in my old dishwasher. Now that I hate to do. Nobody soaks them! Or they soak them half way up the sides which doesn't get the awful stuff at the top of the pan! There, I feel better to complain.

Karena1984
February 19th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Once or twice a day sometimes!!! I like to cook and bake and have a 9 year old who thinks reusing a cup is dirty! Lol

laf512
February 19th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I run it at least once daily. A few times a week, it gets run twice a day. We have 5 in our house...2 adults and 3 young kids. We very rarely eat out...maybe once a month...so we have lots of dishes.

BobW
February 19th, 2014, 12:46 PM
As a single retired person, I run my dishwasher about once a week. If I have company in of course I have to run it more often. The apartments I live in don't have built-in dishwashers. I bought a portable when I moved in. My neighbors tease me about having the dishwasher for just one person. I laugh and tell them I'm the only thing that gets hand washed in my house. LOL

Simply Quilting
February 19th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Ours varies how often it gets ran. Usually at least once per day and sometimes twice. Occasionally we will not run it for a day or two depending upon what is going on and how often we are home. I guess I should add that there are 2 adults and 3 children in the house.

Grama Debbie
February 19th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I live alone and run mine about 3 times a week.

Bubby
February 19th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I run our dishwasher every day and if I bake something maybe twice. I do a lot of cooking from scratch. I still wash some things by hand. I have good cookware and it doesn't go into the dishwasher.

Bubby
February 19th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I love your story, Sandy!

Marta
February 19th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Mine gets run once a day, Wed. - Sun. Mon. And Tues. I have cleaning woman.

Vonnie
February 19th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I run the dishwasher every other day during the week and on Sat and Sun. I wash the pots and pans by hand because the dishwasher would destroy them. But, I can and do put the lids in the dishwasher. There's more cooking going on during the weekend than during the week.

I have a 17 year old Kitchen Aide dishwasher that has never seen a repairman and it still runs great.

Carol336
February 19th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I'm retired and DH has a job that he goes to several mornings a week, but is usually home by 10am.....so he's generally home most of the day. We both love to cook and really enjoy getting into the kitchen together and fixing a nice meal. But even with that we probably run the dishwasher 2-3 times a week. We don't have much for breakfast, probably just toast or yogurt, so really just have coffee cups. And, sorry Grammababs, but I use paper plates for sandwiches at lunch time. We both clean as we go when cooking, but that is usually hand washing and I rarely put pots in the dishwasher. I hate the dishwasher we have now because it doesn't have rinse and hold, so I feel like I have to rinse everything before putting it in.....how stupid I was not to notice that feature when buying this one last year.....you can bet if I ever get another one it'll have rinse and hold.
We don't eat out as much as we used to......it just gets old after awhile.

GinnyKNC
February 19th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I probably use my dishwasher between one and three times a year. Last year I used it once.

SallyO'Sews
February 19th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Weelll, it depends. Over the holidays, with 7 adults living in my house (me, DH, DS#4 & DIL#4, DS#8, DS#9, and DD#10), and those who were normally in school on vacation (that would be all but me and DS#8 - the rest are teachers and students), we actually needed to run it twice a day. And I can really pack a dishwasher! :icon_heh:

Now, with DS/DIL#4 moved into their own apartment (:icon_woohoo::icon_bump:), and everyone back in school, it's only once a day. I can practically hear the electric meter slowing down outside the house! :lol:

Wwena
February 19th, 2014, 02:20 PM
We run it once a day, most days. I too use it for everything that won't be damaged in there...

easyquilts
February 19th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I find that I run the dishwasher a lot less now that I am alone.... There may be a little mire to wash when I get back to bread baking...

I do very little coking these days, and when i do ok it's always something,easy and simple.... Sometimes I just go ahead and was the dishes by hand, if there are only a few....

I guess I run the dishwasher 1-2 times a week.

mspepper
February 19th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I run ours when it needs it. Usually every 3-4 days. I wash all pots and pans and small tupperware containers by hand (love doing it). Hubby drives OTR and is only home every other day. Just myself and son at home and most nights he is out with friends.

HandsomeRyan
February 19th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I am the dishwasher here. Our house was built in the 1950's and doesn't have a dishwasher nor does it have space for one. It doesn't really bother me too much though.

mspepper
February 19th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I am the dishwasher here. Our house was built in the 1950's and doesn't have a dishwasher nor does it have space for one. It doesn't really bother me too much though.

Wait until you have all those bottles to wash..

Cathy F
February 19th, 2014, 03:47 PM
May, it's just my husband and I here and I run my dishwasher daily.

Genny
February 19th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Unless it's a holiday with our family here I only use our dishwasher every other day. There's only me and my husband so we don't use many dishes.

CraftyBarb
February 19th, 2014, 04:38 PM
I have never used a dishwasher. Growing up we did not have one. My Mom cooked and my sister and I did the dishes. To this day I still don't own one. When I moved into my home I had the dishwasher removed and bought a small freezer to put in it's place. Get more use out of the freezer then with the dishwasher. The only thing I did use the dishwasher for was storage. Since it is just my BF and I, we each take turn doing the dishes.

Hulamoon
February 19th, 2014, 04:58 PM

This is totally unrelated to your story but it popped in my head right away. I was helping selling girl scout cookies in front of a grocery store and all of a sudden three police cars with all the bells and whistles were surrounding the store. The leaders son was calling 911 over and over at the pay phone. lol

I don't have one. When the girls were here they always said when are we getting a dishwasher? I would say but I have two already. Drum roll.. lol

toggpine
February 19th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I guess we are the odd ones! I run the dishwasher about once a week. I have enough plates & silverware that we can eat most of the week without having to run it more often. There are 2 adults and an 8 year old here now. Most of the time I'm the only one home during the day, and I don't generate many dishes during the day. I did run it more often when our son was living at home. That boy would burn through the dishes!
I don't put everything in there as I don't like what the heat does to some of my Tupperware. I could probably live without the dishwasher. If we had to replace it with something more useful, it would be a small beverage fridge.

ilive2craft2
February 19th, 2014, 05:28 PM
When our son lived at home, it was run almost every day - if he brought the dishes out of his room.......now we run it about every other day. I also hate emptying it - it was our son's job when he lived at home.....

rebeccas-sewing
February 19th, 2014, 05:32 PM
We cook a lot so ours get used every day. I usually have the dish drainer full of hand-washed as well. I don't understand how someone is able to only use theirs once a week. Either they don't cook or they eat out all the time.

Annette Ackley
February 19th, 2014, 08:06 PM
When I was married to my Ex, we had a dishwasher. Loved it. When I met my 2nd DH, he didn't have a dishwasher. So I did the dishes. My only complaint was he always has to get a new coffee cup out when he has coffee. So when we redid the kitchen last fall. I asked for a dishwasher. Of course he complained about it. I was using it every other day. Now it is up to once a day. Guess what it is full of coffee cups most of the time. Now DH tells me that I have to hand wash the dishes again, due to lack of not enough propane to heat the water. This winter has been ruff. We got our propane tank filled, and they only gave us 15 percent, due to shortage of propane. And for that 15 percent we got, cost us 400 dollars. This is crazy!!!

Lilly
February 19th, 2014, 08:29 PM
We have 4 at home and 3 different diets; Gluten free, nut free, dairy free; Palio and dairy free, Dairy free and WT Watchers (me). DH eats whatever he finds. Palio Daughter can't use the microwave and uses no processed foods and no grains so she is chopping and cooking every meal. I only cook suppers for all of us but I use every dish left in the kitchen - and I've never been good at cleaning up as I go - I focus on the food and rush along! I pack the DW full every day - but when the DD's bring in their dishes from all their hiding places we wash twice that day. No risk of my tubing cracking!

quiltingtrish
February 19th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I run ours once a week, just to keep the dishwasher from rotting and hand wash the other 6 days. I don't care what type of dishwasher soap I use, if I don't clean and scrub the dishes before I put them in there, they don't come clean. I also do not like to dry dishes. Even if I put the dry cycle on, I have not seen it even coming close to drying them. I prefer to handwash them at night from the day and by morning, the heater vent right near the drainboard has dried them for me. I do believe I use lots less water and electricity to handwash them.
Same thing with our clothes. I hang them to dry. Might take a little extra time to actually hang them up outside, but I sure love a light, breezy, slightly cloudy kind of day to hang them out. As soon as this 15" inches of snow melts off the deck (we were so busy shoveling the long driveway and sidewalk that we forgot about the deck), I'll be out there once again. Even on a bitterly cold day, they dry fast. Then I pop them in the dryer for about 10 minutes and it's like they were in the dryer all along. They get washed at night and hung in the morning and all dry by the time I get home from work.

Hugs,

Ginny B
February 19th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Not retired yet but it is just hubby and Iand I usually run the dishwasher every other day. I especially love it now that I have a built-in dishwasher as opposed to the portable one we had before the kitchen reno. When I had the portable it was annoying because I had to be sure that I had the room to move it out of it's spot to reach the sink, couldn't put much on top of it because it had to be moved and then when I was running it, the sink couldn't be used since the hose was hooked up to the faucet. Now it is just so much easier -- just put the dishwasher liquid in, close the door push the button and walk away. :)

Mimis-quilts
February 19th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Hubby runs the dishwasher at least every other day...the kitchen is his room...I hate to cook! Good thing he doesn't mind to cook...we might be a little skinnier if I cooked...haha!

lourixe
February 20th, 2014, 06:13 PM
When my parents married, they came to an agreement: my mother would cook and my father would do the dishes. When he was paid extra money for overtime, he bought a dishwasher!
They are not only time savers, but also watersavers. I have a well and don't want to spend too much water, I am also concerned about the septic tank. As we are only the hubby and I, I have a small dishwasher that we use every two days.

Now I have another question for you: which program do you use? At my parents in law, their dishwasher has either a 35 minute cycle which I consider too short and doesn't completely solve the detergent tabs, or different long programs that take over 140 minutes! We've come to the solution of programming 2 complete short cycles for every load, the second without soap.

madampolo
February 20th, 2014, 07:59 PM
I am retired. I use the dishwasher daily, no matter how many dishes I have. One of my pet peeves is opening the dishwasher because I have a lot to do and finding it is half full with dirty dishes. So, I wash whatever I have, unless it is just one little thing.

GGMae
February 20th, 2014, 09:25 PM
We run ours about 5 times a week when it is just the 2 of us. When my Kids are it may run 2 times a day, sometimes 3 times a day. My Grandchildren and I are always cooking something.

MayinJerset
February 21st, 2014, 03:53 AM
"Now I have another question for you: which program do you use? At my parents in law, their dishwasher has either a 35 minute cycle which I consider too short and doesn't completely solve the detergent tabs, or different long programs that take over 140 minutes! We've come to the solution of programming 2 complete short cycles for every load, the second without soap. "

I was shocked first time I went to use our present dishwasher and it ran for 2 hours. Quickly checked the manual and found the 81 minute cycle that I use, always found the dishes all very clean and all detergent dissolved. Used Rinse and Hold a few times, mostly because there were a few dirty dishes and we were going away for a few days. They were on Hold until we returned and got washed properly with the next full load of dirty dishes.

alliek
February 21st, 2014, 03:25 PM
There are three of us, and I run it once a day, after dinner. I empty it in the morning and begin again. We rarely eat out. Mom being 98 is difficult to take out and personally there are not any restaurants here that I love to go too. So we cook and I like to eat off of plates that are not paper, so you end up with dishes! Love my dishwasher.