PDA

View Full Version : The Laundry Basket & the Night Owl

toggpine
February 19th, 2014, 04:02 AM
There are just some things that seem to never end. The laundry is one of those deals for me. I swear I just get it all caught up and wham! A full basket materializes from somewhere. I know that with us being sick last week I have a bit more to catch up on. I ran most of the stuff we took on our trip, but really didn't get it folded & put away. I also wash all of the couch blankies after any of us have been sick. Of course there are all of the bed linens from the sickies too. See, it just keeps coming!

Do you have a particular chore that you just can't seem to get ahead of?

Hulamoon
February 19th, 2014, 04:08 AM
For me it is the dishes. I don't have a dishwasher :( I have been making a lot of crock pot meals to put in the freezer and I need to stop! My dd came by today and I made her take some veg soup home. I don't' think she likes veg soup. lol

PAPER!! I can't get rid of it!!

MayinJerset
February 19th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Oh laundry for sure, the hamper was always overflowing. A few weeks ago I made a little change, instead of putting all of our clothes into the hamper I've been putting my stuff on the bottom of my closet. Doesn't solve the actual washing, drying and putting away of the clothes but I don't see a big pile of clothes waiting to be washed, out of sight sort of means out of mind for a while. I was spending all day washing and drying loads of clothes and had a huge pile of stuff to put away. Now I do my wash and a towels or undies wash and they get put away and I'll do dh's stuff the next day or so.

Yesterday's snow melted on the roads very quickly as the sun was shinning and the temps were mid 40's. More warmer weather expected rest of the week, now the worry is about where will all the melting snow go. Sewers are covered with piles of snow and that will result in flooded streets - not a good Winter at all.

toggpine
February 19th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Sometimes I think it might be faster to actually hand wash all of the dishes. We rinse the items and fill the dishwasher, then I run it about once a week. I'm pretty sure it uses about as much water as if I hand-washed everything and probably more electricity. It would just mean one more chore that I would have to do alone. At least with the dishwasher, I can get the rest of the family to load and sometimes un-load the machine and put stuff away.

Having meals prepared a head in the freezer is kind of handy, as long as you are making something people want/like to eat. We will fill the smoker with chicken, turkey, ribs, whatever when Hubby decides to get it up and going. Then I pack it in the FoodSaver pouches for freezer storage. So lovely to just warm up a package on a busy day! I do that with soups too, although I do leave out the noodles or other easily soggied items from the main package. I can add those "fresh" when I heat up the packet.

Paper items are certainly a sticky wicket around here too. Flat-surfaceitis compounds the paper problem. No matter how hard I try to keep the counters cleaned off. More stuff creeps up there when I am not looking. I wonder how long it will be before I decide I'm never making espresso again (last shot pulled 5+ years ago), and I can get rid of that counter-top gargoyle.... Gah!

Well, the last load of towels has finished, so I'll pop them into the dryer, and probably hold off on starting anymore wash until the sun comes up. Bed linens & couch blankies should be the end of things tomorrow. Should be....

Marta
February 19th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Seems I wash one or two loads of laundry a day. Since it is so hot here in Rio we change clothes , a lot. BUT I have a wonderful woman who comes every Monday and does the ironing -- even the sheets.

SisterDi
February 19th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I can't seem to keep groceries in the house. I have lots of stairs up to my apartment, I live alone, and I have to carry an oxygen tank for every trip up and down. And because I have heart and lung problems, I get short of breath in just a few steps anyway. Add in the mountains of snow in my parking lot, and my neighbors who don't care to let me park closest to the building...I can only manage to shop for and carry a bag or two in a trip.

When I say stairs, I mean stairs. I snapped this pic last fall when I was preparing to hobble up with a load. I like to sit in the car and whimper like a dog for a few minutes before I attempt it. Note my able-bodied neighbor's car in the foreground. :icon_rolleyes: Bad times.

Marta
February 19th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Isn't there some way to have a handicapped parking space ? The pepole in my building are not considerate either but we have a great doorman and an elevator.

Bubby
February 19th, 2014, 09:01 AM
At our house it's the laundry also. I blame it on Jeff because his clothes are so large! I seem to wash something every day. Now that we have the Girls there's much more laundry than before. They sleep in crates and I have their bedding plus the covers I keep on the chair and chaise in the living room and the sheets I cover our bed with when they get up there. I'm having trouble with our washer and a new one may be on the horizon.

SisterDi
February 19th, 2014, 09:10 AM
My landlord is horrible, and my building is 119 years old. If I could afford to move, that would be my best option.

I've asked him for a handicapped space twice over the last few years. I guess his memory sucks or something. He forgets everything I ask him for. An actual knob to turn on my bath water...the carbon monoxide detector that the fire department said he needs to replace. I could go on and on, I've been here for 20 years now.

bubba
February 19th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I can't seem to keep groceries in the house. I can only manage to shop for and carry a bag or two in a trip.

When I say stairs, I mean stairs. I snapped this pic last fall when I was preparing to hobble up with a load. I like to sit in the car and whimper like a dog for a few minutes before I attempt it. Note my able-bodied neighbor's car in the foreground. :icon_rolleyes: Bad times.

I'd first of all talk to your apartment manager and ask if he can assign you a permanent spot. If he has already done so, ask if yours can be moved so you are closer to the stairs. The next thing I would do would be to go to Safeway.com, considering you have one in you area. They deliver groceries and bring them right to your counter!

cyndiofthevortex
February 19th, 2014, 12:29 PM
When I had all 7 kids at home, I did at least 16 loads of laundry a week. And I hung all of it but the towels! I had four hampers next to the washer so everyone could sort their own clothes into whites, mediums, darks and towels/sheets. I sorted for each person as I took things down from the lines and the kids folded and put their own clothes away except for the very youngest. They had a big brother or sister help them.

I miss living in such a lively and active household, but I sure don't miss doing two or three loads of laundry every day except Sundays. That was a day of rest for me and the washing machine!

lilmouse
February 19th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Dust and laundry....how one woman and one dog can create so much dust and laundry is beyond me! I hate both...love the smell of clean laundry and dusting spray but hate both jobs...also have two flights of stairs to run up and down for laundry and one set of stairs for groceries!

Hulamoon
February 19th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Dust and laundry....how one woman and one dog can create so much dust and laundry is beyond me! I hate both...love the smell of clean laundry and dusting spray but hate both jobs...also have two flights of stairs to run up and down for laundry and one set of stairs for groceries!

You gave me a giggle on this one. When I was little my mom gave me the chore of dusting. One day I blurted out, dust, dust , dust, all I do is dust. I can't tell you how many times she had to bring that up. lol