PDA

View Full Version : About Husbands and Valentine's Day

Vonnie
February 14th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I just got this in an email and I wanted to share with you:

In Defense of Husbands and Their Valentine's Gifts - This Lovely Place with Charlotte Siems (http://charlottesiems.com/defense-husbands-valentines-gifts)

My DH forgot to get me a card for today but he gave me a big hug and told me he loved me. I would rather have the hug than a card. What about you? And no - I'm not offering to let my DH hug you! :lol:

BTW - Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Karena1984
February 14th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Mine drove 2.5 hours from work last night to shovel my driveway out! And he got my coffee ready this morning!!! That's better than any card or gift! Lol

Genny
February 14th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Mines out plowing snow so I hope to even see him today! He gave me a box of candy and I'm making him sugar cookies but my best Valentine's Day present will be when he gets home safe.

CountryHut
February 14th, 2014, 12:20 PM
- normally - NORMALLY the hubby comes home from work with Flowers and candy -- he has ''never'' forgotten -- he didn't mention anything this morning .. lets see if he remembers this year . .

*whispering - I think he is saving his daily words allowance*~

GinnyKNC
February 14th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I always told my DH that I didn't want flowers and cards on valentines day if it was going to be the only day I would get them throughout the year. I'd rather get flowers just for no reason other than he thought enough of me when he seen the flowers to think I'd like them. Now mind you my DH is not a mushy sentimental guy at all. He does however on occasion get me those flowers :) But I would rather just have a hug and an I love you. He makes my coffee every morning, helps around the house and even with cooking, dishes and laundry! As long as I feel loved the flowers, candy and cards are just nice things that I can live without. Besides, he indulges my fabric buying :icon_hug:

Suzyq
February 14th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Ginny, you said it perfectly...that's the way things are here with my hubby and I and I'm so thankful. Valentine's Day is a day for us to reflect on how lucky we are to have each other...

shermur
February 14th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I got a text that said..."Love you"

Cat n bull
February 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM
After spending 32 years with each other, we have pretty much given each other every card Hallmark has made by now :icon_heh:

My husband IS the mushy romantic type, and lets me know he loves me every single day by his actions and his words.

Valentine's Day has never been real special for us, just does not have significant meaning.

Bubby
February 14th, 2014, 01:29 PM
My Hubby Jeff is very protective and loving. He tells me every day of my life how much I mean to him and thanks me for marrying him. This same man will never write me a love letter, but he tries to pick out cards that say what he would like to be able to write.

I've been sick for a week or so. We drove to WalMart last night to pick up my prescription and we ate a bite at the local Chinese restaurant. We were on the way home when waves of nausea washed over me and I asked Jeff to pull over so I could upchuck. He pulled over and told me not to get out. He took off his hat and handed it to me and told me to upchuck in it! Is that true love or what!!!

I wouldn't trade Jeff for all the money in the world. He's faithful to the bone, loves life and loves me with all his heart. Every woman should be blessed with a man like Jeff. We just celebrated our 6th anniversary last month. Jeff had never been married before and has no children - a rare commodity these days. He says he was waiting for me his whole life.

Mom23
February 14th, 2014, 01:39 PM
You can tell we've been married 30 years. Last week I told my husband not to spend money on a card. I still have the card he gave me last year, and he still has the card I gave him. I got them both out and we gave them to each other again this morning. We are going to a card party tonight to celebrate with some friends. It's a great day! I'm not even going to complain about it snowing, with 3-5 inches expected by evening.

MayinJerset
February 14th, 2014, 01:52 PM
We've been married almost 60 years and DH left a card at my place on the kitchen table and brought me a cup of coffee while I was on the computer. He used to buy a box of chocolates, mainly because he wanted some. I asked him not to buy the candy any longer because it was too tempting to eat piece after piece and when the box was finished we craved more.

GrammaBabs
February 14th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Well,,, my High School Sweetheart... is off playing indoor softball,,, and reminded me that he put in 3 heavy duty "pullouts" in my kitchen cabinets just this week!!! LOL.. He's adored by all women and a bit of a gremudgon (sp).. but faithful and loyal to a fault..it's been 50yrs. since we walked the halls of HS.. but he's still my guy,, with the "good looks" and passion to match..LOL Without him I just don't think I'd make it!!! OH, but "don't tell him that".... hehehehehehe..

toggpine
February 14th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I worked for a florist during valentines day for several years. I told my husband it was a huge waste of $. The suppliers jack up the cost to the florist who then have to pass it on to the customer or eat the loss. Hubby wasn't unhappy about that, as he thinks Valentines Day is one of the biggest made-up holidays ever invented to scam your $.
That being said, he usually gets me a card. This week we have been so sick, that neither one of us has gotten out to get even a card. We agreed that we'd still love each other anyway!

grannyann
February 14th, 2014, 02:09 PM
My husband who is not in good health and doesn't go anywhere unless it is to the doctor told me he felt bad because he couldn't get out to get me a card. I told him not to worry about it because over the years I got plenty of cards, candy and flowers.

But for those of you who enjoy and celebrate this day Happy Valentines Day

dizzyLiz
February 14th, 2014, 02:15 PM
My hubby tells me everyday I'm beautiful and how much he loves me. Everyday is Valentines day for me. I'm a lucky gal

Pandabear
February 14th, 2014, 02:17 PM
We don't celebrate Valentine's Day. We aren't the romantic sort :)

K. McEuen
February 14th, 2014, 02:24 PM

Well there you have it! He already gave you his gift. ;)

Iris Girl
February 14th, 2014, 02:31 PM
My hubby is not the romantic type at all. But he is the strong and there type. He was out shoveling and snowblowing today and then went to work. I got a box of chocolate covered cherries my favorite. Neither of us are card people and also believe Valentine's Day is a retailers holiday to make money. It was his Grandma's Birthday and we always celebrated with her. Since she is no longer it is an ordinary day. Oh and yesterday he bought me a great cordless Iron. A wonderful and thoughtful gift!!

vchale
February 14th, 2014, 02:32 PM
On his way out the door this morning mine asked if I was out maybe I could pick up some steaks or salmon so I said who is going to grill(it's always me!). I said not much of a valentine for me. Maybe you can tell we've been married more than 40 years. Usually he stops on his way home and gets me flowers. I guess I will cook for him and maybe make him something chocolate for dessert. We don't like to go out and fight the crowds.

Madeforyouinma11
February 14th, 2014, 02:54 PM
My Hubby Jeff is very protective and loving. He tells me every day of my life how much I mean to him and thanks me for marrying him. This same man will never write me a love letter, but he tries to pick out cards that say what he would like to be able to write.

I've been sick for a week or so. We drove to WalMart last night to pick up my prescription and we ate a bite at the local Chinese restaurant. We were on the way home when waves of nausea washed over me and I asked Jeff to pull over so I could upchuck. He pulled over and told me not to get out. He took off his hat and handed it to me and told me to upchuck in it! Is that true love or what!!!

I wouldn't trade Jeff for all the money in the world. He's faithful to the bone, loves life and loves me with all his heart. Every woman should be blessed with a man like Jeff. We just celebrated our 6th anniversary last month. Jeff had never been married before and has no children - a rare commodity these days. He says he was waiting for me his whole life.

OMG! We sound like we have the same husband! We've been together for 9 years, married for 4. He was never married before and tells me the same thing! My hubby is the most wonderful man and I always tell him how lucky I am to have found him. We don't celebrate Valentines Day either, we show each other everyday just how important the other one is. He always makes me feel special, I feel like the luckiest woman knowing he is mine, and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Genny
February 14th, 2014, 05:28 PM

Bubby, any man giving up his hat to up chuck in is a real keeper...I think you may have the truest love of all!

buckeyequilter
February 14th, 2014, 05:30 PM
- normally - NORMALLY the hubby comes home from work with Flowers and candy -- he has ''never'' forgotten -- he didn't mention anything this morning .. lets see if he remembers this year . .

He'll talk all night long then

buckeyequilter
February 14th, 2014, 05:33 PM
My DH sent me a dozen roses to work and since he didn't work today he is making dinner.

Since tomorrow is my birthday he is taking me to a quilt shop and said maybe I can find something there that I want for my birthday....ummm....excuse me....what's with this maybe stuff, the man is taking me to a quilt shop!!

Pegger
February 14th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I love hugs.......mmmmm good. So warming.

Pegger
February 14th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Gosh are we married to the same guy? My husband does the same. Flowers during the year for no reason. Love it. And the hugs & kisses.

Carol336
February 14th, 2014, 07:04 PM
No card or roses here, but coffee brought to me this am, taxi service to the hairdresser, and then dinner fixed for me. All this done around shoveling and snow plowing.....am I a lucky girl or what!!!!

CountryHut
February 14th, 2014, 09:33 PM
well dang -- I didn't hear a peep out of the hubby all day -- normally he calls right before or right after his lunch hour --
-- my --things to do list-- was pretty long - so off I went to the northside of town to pick up supplies -- lunch with a friend @ Paneras -
-- car washed - gas'd up the car -- stopped at the bank -- then went hunting for the ''just right'' Valentine Card -
-- you should have seen all the husbands and boyfriends buying flowers - cards - candy and teddy bears . . I even told some of them that they were good hubbys . . L*~ . . .
got my card flowers and candy in tow and off to the house ---
UT OH*~ . I didn't see any flowers when I walked in the door :( . . . hubby was napping but the doggies were all over me -- gotta love those fur babies . .
while the hubby was just waking up -- I went and put his little Valentines on his c'puter desk - then feed the doggies --
while chatting with the hubby - I went in my office and there they were

*all smiles and giggles*~ . . . NOPE - he didn't forget -- a doz of long stem different color Roses
and a strawberry heart shaped cake that said -- ''My Valentine''
and some chocolate covered Strawberries . . oooooooooh yummo

so we sucked faced LOL*~ and told each other Happy Valentine Day
since the very 1st time he said ''I Love you'' -- he/we have NEVER ever missed a day of telling each other - we tell each other every day and several times a day - and with meaning :)

BellasQuilts
February 14th, 2014, 09:55 PM
I was at a tradeshow in Tulare all week and got home late and tired last night. This AM I made him breakfast then went and got dressed. When I came out there was a beautiful card and a vase of flowers waiting for me. He is the love of my life, always tells me he loves me and is so happy we are married. I sometimes wonder what I did to deserve such a wonderful guy.

ilive2craft2
February 14th, 2014, 09:57 PM
We chatted last night about today and I thought we had agreed on not doing anything, but he had already gotten me a card and chocolate turtles. We got a surprise of 5 inches of snow today, so when I got home first, I parked in the street and started clearing the driveway. So, I baked him some cranberry orange muffins for dessert - he got to pick from a variety of desserts. :)

K. McEuen
February 14th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Hahaha, hubby gave me a heart shaped box of candy and the water bill when I got home from work. :D

Mpyles
February 14th, 2014, 11:00 PM
My man left a card sticking out of my purse when I went to leave for work this morning. It had a LQS gift certificate in it. :) if someone is going to give me flowers it better be one I can plant! My mother gave me a valentine earlier this week...yes, for the last 43 years of my 50 years she has given me a valentine...68381 isn't it cute!

Lilly
February 15th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Jim always gets me roses and also one each for the girls. And I always make him scallops - his favorite once a year treat - except for a few years here and there when our lives were too crazy and then he just smiled and understood. He's so easy and he loves me so much and his hugs are just the best. Ha Ha - this year I was just sure Valentines was on Saturday - and I wasn't ready to cook those scallops - so we just changed Valentines til tomorrow. How did I ever get so blessed!

Shirley
February 15th, 2014, 12:45 AM

Bubby,

It sounds like you have truly remarkable husband. So happy for you. I have a wonderful DH also. It's nice to know you're loved, isn't it?

auntiemern
February 15th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Woke up this AM to 2 cards, one funny, one mushy and a dozen long stems. He always has my coffee ready. Then had to get out the door to be with the kiddo's before DD left for work. (7:30). And, I feel like death warmed over. We decided earlier that we weren't going out to eat with the craziness tonight. Not up to it anyway. After taking oldest GD shopping for valentine dance dress (in freezing rain), (the one her mom got her, she can't wear to school), came home to more fresh coffee. Took kiddo's home, and then he took me to urgent care...He loves me like that. He takes wonderful care of me all the time. Worries about me all the time. Tells me daily he loves me, and that I am beautiful, even though I don't think so or feel that way any longer. We fuss at each other, but have a love that is never ending. That is how my valentines day went.
It was great reading everyone's story. Karen, I think I laughed the hardest at yours.

Hawaii Roxy
February 15th, 2014, 02:35 AM
Awww I love all the sweet stories! My fav is the one who "upchucked" in hubby's hat! Please tell me you didn't puke in his hat?! lol Both me and my hubby worked today,we are also dealing with being brand new empty nesters ! He did get me a awesome gift basket full of perfumes,chocolates and a pretty silk robe! I work in a mini mart and we had lots of flowers an teddy bears I was shocked at the prices on those silly things! Since leaving Tyler Texas I no longer care for "store bought" roses they don't smell!! Tyler is the rose capitol of the world and they sell their roses on the corner for 5.00 and they smell soooooo beautiful ! ~sigh~ I wanna go home!

Suzette
February 15th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I've been married to the same wonderful, amazing man for 31 years and we have only celebrated Valentine's day, maybe twice! It just isn't that big of a deal to us. But... on our wedding day we promised each other that we would work every day at not taking each other for granted and for the most part we've succeeded. :icon_happy:

We have rarely gone a day without a least one hug and one 'I love you' to each other. We pay attention to each other, listen when the other talks and tries to do the little things for each other that matters most to us. Oh, we have our share of squabbles, misunderstandings and pet peeves like anyone else, so it might not be a perfect marriage, but it is a healthy, happy one! :icon_happy:

mcwade
February 15th, 2014, 10:06 AM
We couldn't get out because of the snow so no store bought card. But, he cut a heart out of a paper towel and wrote a sweet note in red ink. Just about perfect!

Lilly
February 15th, 2014, 02:46 PM
We couldn't get out because of the snow so no store bought card. But, he cut a heart out of a paper towel and wrote a sweet note in red ink. Just about perfect!
Awwww - this is what it's all about! Well I guess I better start cooking that "valentines" meal.
BTW - hope everyone who was in the path of that horrid storm survived and lived to sew another day. I'm happy to stay right here in Mn where we get the awful cold and snow but seldom the ice. More snow coming tomorrow.