PDA

View Full Version : Everybody Loves Night Owls

pcbatiks
February 14th, 2014, 04:44 AM
On the night owl post from a few nights ago.......we talked about a favorite childhood toy. SallyO'Sews mentioned remembering the smell of the toy. It made me think of different smells that bring back happy memories from childhood or any other time. Sometimes a "Smell Memory" will come back to me even when that item is no where around. One smell memory that I had for years.....even as an adult.......was the smell of butter cookies in the cookie jar at my grandma's house. They were just the cheap........150 cookies for 99 cents type of cookies. You remember the little flat ones with the hole in the middle.....at random times I could smell those cookies.......as if I were in the same room with them...........weird right!

So what are some of your Happy Smell Memories............and yes......this is the scientific term! :D

MomGram
February 14th, 2014, 05:38 AM
For me it the smell of the shower soap my husband used. When my boys got older they used the same one for awhile, it was like having him here again. Every now and then still catch a hint of it on a breeze.

turena65
February 14th, 2014, 05:46 AM
I don't drink coffee, never have, but I had a favorite set of grandparents who did.... sometimes I will find myself perusing a certain store isle and then I am overcome with this strong smell of coffee... I love it because I will always instantly think about my grandparents and the sweet memories we made together... I love the "smell" of coffee

dwil23
February 14th, 2014, 05:55 AM
My aunt was a florist. I remember the smell of her shop - all the different flowers when you walked into the cooler. I opened a jar candle at the store recently and it smelled just like that. Needless to say I bought it. I had my sister take a whiff and asked her what it reminded her of -"Aunt Berniece's shop!" she said, without hesitation. The fact that it was lavender in color was really nice, too. Aunt Berniece's favorite color was purple and her bedroom was painted just about the same shade as the candle.

cyndiofthevortex
February 14th, 2014, 05:59 AM
My elementary school cafeteria had a certain, unique smell to it. Every once in a while I find a place that smells the same and it brings me right back to those days when my world was safe and happy and all I had to fear were the nuns. Now that I look back, they weren't so bad. But back then they seemed fierce to a shy little girl!

bkthomas
February 14th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Old Spice.....that's my Dad!

MayinJerset
February 14th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Cindy, My childhood fear of nuns in black habits was even greater than yours as I went to public school, something the nuns looked down on.

I smell I remember was a perfume that Avon used to have, can't remember the name but the cap of the bottle was in the shape of a flower, a light colored rose I think. It was light and flowery but I haven't smelt it in many years since Avon discontinued it.

Mentioning the perfume brings back a favorite feeling, one of an early Spring evening walking along the avenue with my friends when the air around me felt soft warm and slightly moist. I remember I was wearing a soft pink sweater over a soft grey, pink and white plaid pleated skirt, pink flats and pink crocheted gloves. We were headed to our local high school kids hang out and I was hoping a certain boy would be there. Hang out was a local diner that many adults had dinner at after work but in the evenings teens hung out in the back booths where there was a big juke box. My friends and I would go over to the juke box to check out the selections but we really wanted to check out which booths the cute guys were sitting in.

You know I met my DH there. Kay, the waitress, liked him so when he asked her who I was she introduced us and we went into an empty booth to talk. Big excitement from my friends as he was a very good looking college guy. I guess it being Valentine's Day brought back this particular feeling and memory

tennesseesews
February 14th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Love the smell of new crayons; reminds me of the first day of school. Still love taking classes; don't use as many crayons now.

Bubby
February 14th, 2014, 09:08 AM
The smell when you open a lunchbox....bacon and coffee cooking at my grandparents house....a fresh box of crayons....popcorn in the Sears store when I was a kid....tomatoe vines.

toggpine
February 15th, 2014, 02:37 AM
My grandparents ran a print shop, so the smell of ink and paper take me back to summers I spent with them. When I went to work for a larger printing company, it felt like I was at home when I walked in for my interview. The smell of hot pavement goes along with that too since summers in OK are a lot hotter than here in WA!
The smell of fir trees.
Raspberries take me to Aunt Bertha's kitchen table with fresh raspberry jam.
The smell of baby shampoo reminds me of my freshly washed little one, who is now nearly 8!
I'm sure there are more.

bubba
February 15th, 2014, 03:18 AM
The smell of meatloaf and baked potatoes baking in the oven....

The smell of the hutch in my 100+ year home when I open it and it smells just like the one my Mama Mimi (grandma) had.

Racing Nana
February 15th, 2014, 11:06 AM
There is a certain smell in the spring when the snow starts to melt.
I always say it smells like marbles because as soon as the snow started to go away all of us kids in school would be out playing marbles. (don't know if they even have marbles anymore....but that was back in the day when kids actually played)
When that smell hits the air it gives me energy as I know spring is just around the corner.

lilmouse
February 15th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Old Spice.....that's my Dad!
Yeah Kathy, me too...my Dad always wore Old Spice .... and I still miss him and it has been years!

auntiemern
February 15th, 2014, 05:06 PM
There are many smells that remind me of different people or times in my life. My dad smelled like Brylcreme, my mom, the smell of the restaurant she worked in. The smell of Nutter Butters bring back a time in my life that was special to me. Baby Magic...the smell of my DD and GK's. The smell of a bakery always makes me smile. I have worked in 3 different bakeries. Never did get sick of donuts. Every once in a while the smell of blueberry permeates my kitchen, and believe my mom has dropped by. She does that sometimes.