PDA

View Full Version : Is Thursday slipping by us?

Mpyles
February 13th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Good morning everyone!

With all these storms it seems our thread almost slipped away...goodness I couldn't have that!!

I slept in this morning then got up and decided to clean my kitchen and living room so I could play without guilt....I've been searching for a pin cushion idea for dizzy Liz's swap and decided it was time to drop in!

I hope all of you that are putting up with the storm are ok! I am relieved to see warmer temps on the way here. The sun is shining and snow is melting! Yay! It's only prolly a slight reprieve...but I will take anything I can get!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Bubby
February 13th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Blondie posted on the Storm thread this morning that she was heading for her Mom's house to ride out the storm. The internet signal from there can be iffy.

I'm breaking down and going back to see the doctor again today. I last saw her two weeks ago and I'm worse today than I was then. I just can't shake this virus that turned into an infection. If she would have listened to me the first time I went I wouldn't be in the position. When you live rural it's extremely difficult to find a decent doctor without traveling for hours to visit one in a large city. What few good doctors that have come to this area leave after a few months or a year. It's really discouraging.

Our snow is beginning to melt. It's 34 degrees and feels like summer compared to the weather we've had for several weeks. Hang in there friends, this mess will come to an end eventually. In the meantime I pray for your safety and your electricity. In 2009 we were without power for more than 3 weeks after a tornado ripped us apart. It was really an ordeal that we haven't fully recovered from yet. Hunker down and be strong and sensible and you will be fine.

Please don't risk driving on the ice. There is no vehicle that is stable on ice. You can lose total control and place your life and those who may ross your path in jeopardy. 4-WD is useless on ice.

My prayers and best wishes are with all of you....please check in on the Storm thread when you can.

GinnyKNC
February 13th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Blondie we are still in trouble in the Charlotte area lol. Here in Huntersville we got about 5 inches of snow yesterday and then at 5 pm the sleet started and it came down all night. At 7 am this morning it started snowing again and it is still coming down. This is amazing for this area. The roads are terrible here. I have power, coffee and a fireplace just in case so I'm good :) It's really pretty to look at as long you don't have to go out in it. I bet we have already received another 3 inches today. I know for those in snow country (mind you I'm from up North originally) think this is funny, but it really is bad for this area when they don't have the equipment to deal with this. Anyone from this area please stay safe and off the roads.
I'm also looking for a pin cushion pattern :)
I wish I were off work so I could sew!
Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.

Mpyles
February 13th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Barb, my mil struggles with the same thing there with doctors...she now goes to Rolla for most things. I can certainly sympathize!

MRoy
February 13th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Good afternoon! Thinking of everyone affected by the storm. It's a sunny day here and it's warmer than it's been but we've got snow coming back tomorrow night.

There was a gas pipeline explosion in the next county early this morning. Three homes, two barns and several vehicles totally destroyed. An acquaintance and her husband lost their home and they were slightly injured. It's a miracle no one was killed.

Barb, I know what you mean about doctors. DH and I are blessed to each have a great doctor but mine is talking about retiring and has already added a physician's assistant to his practice. I guess when he retires I'll switch over to DH's doctor.

We went to the Nat'l Farm Machinery Show in Louisville yesterday, spent 6 hrs walking on concrete and looking. It was a good day, but my legs and hips are so sore today. I need more exercise!

EmmaB
February 13th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Happy Thursday all ! I was late for work this morning. I was ready early at 7:40 so I thought I would sit down and quilt a little bit. HUGE mistake! Next thing I knew it was 8:10. I usually get there at 8:00. Whoops!

My DD went back to school this past Tuesday so non-working hours are mine ALL MINE!! I've been torn between wanting to quilt or finish this book I had got from the library. It's due Saturday and it's a new book so you can only keep it 2 weeks. Well that 2 weeks snuck up on me and this past weekend I thought I better get to reading. 25 cents a day late fee is nothing to sneeze at. I can remember when the fine was like a nickel!! Oh well, since DD has returned to her class I've been enjoying my down time. She has approximately 10 weeks to go to have her required hours and I'll be so glad and VERY proud to see her get through it. I hope I don't get disappointed. I've just been a little concerned.

Hope our friends south and east of me are staying warm and safe.

EmmaB
February 13th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I saw that on the news this morning Myrna. Glad your friends are alright. That was freaky as was the Corvettes being swallowed up by a sinkhole in Bolling Green. Strange things for sure!

MayinJerset
February 13th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Think many of us used the Night Owl thread to begin today.

DH went out to try to clear some of the snow, it's raining now but suppose to turn back to snow later and you know that means everything will freeze overnight. Looked out the window and saw snow flying around our cars, DH will turn 80 in a few weeks and I warned him not to shovel but just do whatever he can with the blower. Turned out it was young man next door and his mom was clearing off our cars while her DH was trying to clear their driveway and walks. My DH said that both their blowers were jamming because of all the thick wet snow. We can get our driveway cleared pretty easily but getting out to the street is always a problem because the plows always push the snow in front of the houses in our side of the street, There aren't any on the other side of the street so wouldn't that be a better idea?

I miss being able to clear the snow, I would use the small electric blower to clear the walk our front door and dug into the low piles on the sides of the driveway to make as much room for our cars as I could.

MRoy
February 13th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I saw that on the news this morning Myrna. Glad your friends are alright. That was freaky as was the Corvettes being swallowed up by a sinkhole in Bolling Green. Strange things for sure!

It was freaky. My husband and I were wondering this morning if the two occurrences might be connected somehow....a slight earthquake maybe? The two places are only about 85 miles apart.

EmmaB
February 13th, 2014, 04:50 PM
I wondered that also Myrna. Too coincidental being that close together.